The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Top 3 center in the East?

Howard

Bogut

Lopez

Monroe

Bargnani

Everyone there is demonstrably better than McGee at this stage, IMO and I'd take all of them but Bargnani over McGee in a heart beat. McGee, IMO, is in the next group with Hibbert and Horford. Until he fixes his efficiency issues I don't see that changing.

I like the kid and think he could get in that elite group, but he does very few things conducive to winning consistently.

But Monroe, Lopez, and Bargnani do?

I'm talking about in the 2011-12 season..you can EASILY make a case for McGee being a top-3 center in the East.

Only two Centers in the East that I'd take over McGee RIGHT NOW are Dwight and Bogut.

*And this whole off-the-backboard dunk is still botherting me. Shouldn't be as big of a deal as it is. I mean, you got guys like Blatche/Wall who got techs and ended up COSTING the team points out of their actions (and never rode the pine either). But they're not being raked over the coals. We're not talking about Wall exploding for 38 points...we're not talking about the good effort the team had yesterday...nope, we're talking about an innocuous play by Mcgee that HARDLY mattered.

Edited by RonArtest15

I'm talking about in the 2011-12 season..you can EASILY make a case for McGee being a top-3 center in the East.

Only two Centers in the East that I'd take over McGee RIGHT NOW are Dwight and Bogut.

*And this whole off-the-backboard dunk is still botherting me. Shouldn't be as big of a deal as it is. I mean, you got guys like Blatche/Wall who got techs and ended up COSTING the team points out of their actions (and never rode the pine either). But they're not being raked over the coals. We're not talking about Wall exploding for 38 points...we're not talking about the good effort the team had yesterday...nope, we're talking about an innocuous play by Mcgee that HARDLY mattered.

I really don't see a big deal either he made it was trying too spark the team.

Time and place. Respect for the game. When you're 1-12, when you're in a close game, you don't be doing **** like throwing it off the backboard to yourself. It's a "look at me", me-first move when you play on a struggling team. Dunk it and get back on D.

This thing with flip yanking McGee has come up before. And as I've said before, it's because there is hope for McGee. If they didn't care about him, then it'd be whatever (like with Bltache), but they're still trying to coach McGee, help him grow. They still care.

Edited by G.A.C.O.L.B.

Lopez has a foot injury to a center is a big deal and until he proves he can play a long time on it without injuring it again he's a question mark. Plus this guy didn't rebound, he's an offensive scoring center.

Bargnani is a shooter in a 7 foot frame. He's a poor mans dirk that should be moved to the 4 and paired with a true center. He's the player Blatche thinks he is when he closes his eyes at night. (frankly he's the player Blatche WOULD BE if he wasn't a lazy *******)

Monroe and McGee have to show what they can do for an entire season. Right now both look good IMO.

Edited by Destino

Time and place. Respect for the game. When you're 1-12, when you're in a close game, you don't be doing **** like throwing it off the backboard to yourself. It's a "look at me", me-first move when you play on a struggling team. Dunk it and get back on X.

This thing with flip yanking McGee has come up before. And as I've said before, it's because there is hope for McGee. If they didn't care about him, then it'd be whatever (like with Bltache), but they're still trying to coach McGee, help him grow. They still care.

Then there should be a discussion about Wall staring down Greg Sestima after a dunk and getting T'd up from the other week. Isn't that a "look at me," "me first" type of play? Honestly, I think that's more egregious when comparing the two, but McGee is the one who again, is being raked over the coals. It's not right.

Time and place. Respect for the game. When you're 1-12, when you're in a close game, you don't be doing **** like throwing it off the backboard to yourself. It's a "look at me", me-first move when you play on a struggling team. Dunk it and get back on D.

I think it's mostly because sitting Blatche gets one of the only guys on our team that can score off the floor. McGee is a defense & hustle player and easier to bench because we've got a lot of that on the team but so little scoring.

It sucks being handcuffed to Blatche because of the lack of scoring on the team. I don't see any way out of the situation either. We're going to have to trade him and then look really, really bad for a while until we can replace his offense somewhere.

I hope McGee makes himself indispensable in the next few years by developing a nice post offense.

---------- Post added January-17th-2012 at 10:51 AM ----------

Lopez has a foot injury to a center is a big deal and until he proves he can play a long time on it without injuring it again he's a question mark. Plus this guy didn't rebound, he's an offensive scoring center.

Bargnani is a shooter in a 7 foot frame. He's a poor mans dirk that should be moved to the 4 and paired with a true center. He's the player Blatche thinks he is when he closes his eyes at night. (frankly he's the player Blatche WOULD BE if he wasn't a lazy *******)

Monroe and McGee have to show what they can do for an entire season. Right now both look good IMO.

Agreed on all points.

Long term, I'd probably take Monroe over McGee, but he and (obviously) Dwight and maybe Bogut and Horford are the only ones in the East. If Horford were on this team, I'd prefer him as a PF and not as a center. I'd take a healthy Noah over McGee too, but I also think the age and experience difference between them is important. McGee has a much higher ceiling than Noah.

Monroe has higher potential than McGee and the ability to develop into a legit All Star. He's almost as good a rebounder and defensive presence as McGee while having a much more diverse and polished offensive skill set. His efficiency numbers have been fantastic and he's playing at an All Star level right now, so I do give credit where it's due.

But I also think he'll slump and come back to Earth at some point and as such, I can't rank him ahead of guys like Horford, Noah, and Chandler, who all have much longer track records of success.

Most of the good bigs are out West thoug, so calling McGee a top level center in the East is always going to ring a bit hollow.

---------- Post added January-17th-2012 at 10:54 AM ----------

I'll add that I think it's ridiculous to bench McGee for that dunk and I hate it when players in any sport get penalized for bringing passion, enthusiasm and energy to the table and then get killed for being "selfish."

There's a huuuuuuge double standard in the way people view celebrations and flash. Some players get a lifetime pass and others will get reamed for it no matter what they do.

Oh my God. That is hilarious.

Again. Please try to pay attention. Wall is not the problem.

I don't think what McGee did is the end of the world. But there is a time and a place for everything and when you're losing the game and when you have the worst record in the league this is not the time for showboating.

The Wizards at least have an elite talent to build around.

The Redskins are a sucky 5 win team and it will stay that way if Andrew Luck or Robert Griffin aren't playing here next year.

It is less important to have an elite talent to build around in football than basketball. But as far as how close a team is to being a playoff squad...the Skins are way closer than the Wizards. The skins are a young team who competed in all but one or two games this year. The Wizards have one win in 12 games and have barely competed in any of them.

football takes a lot longer to rebuild than ball. besides john wall the wizards have nothing.

football takes WAY LESS time to rebuild than basketball. You can go 1-15 one year and make the playoffs the next year in football. Basketball you pretty much "rebuild" till you finally get lucky and hit big on a couple lottery picks.

---------- Post added January-17th-2012 at 01:36 PM ----------

I think you're seriously overrating Lopez and Monroe. Let's see Monroe play like this over an extended period of time before he gets anointed. As it is, Horford has a much more impressive track record and all around skill set than him as well as most of the bigs in the NBA. Lopez is even more one dimensional than Bargnani. I would take McGee over Lopez for sure.

McGee is better than Hibbert.

In terms of all around play, I'd go Dwight, Horford, Bogut, Chandler, Noah, Monroe, McGee, Hibbert, Bargnani, Lopez.

Defensively, McGee is probably second only to Dwight now and the gap is widening. He's fourth in the NBA in rebounding, leads in blocks, shoots for a very high percentage, and has a good PER. You can't say that about many bigs around the league.

this.....although I think I rank Noah a little bit higher than you. Otherwise I agree

---------- Post added January-17th-2012 at 01:38 PM ----------

Chandler and Noah in your top 5? Eh, we must looking for different things in a center. At this point I'd take McGee over both of them.

Agreed about Monroe, need more time to evaluate, but I believe he's going to be a multiple time all star in short order. Perhaps I am overrating him currently.

We'll agree to disagree regarding Lopez. I know he doesn't rebound well at all, but I still have him as one of the best centers in the East when he's healthy

Noah and Chandler are the 2nd and 3rd best defensive centers in the game....they can also get you about 10 per game. I think you greatly discount defense as an important part of a good NBA center. You list Lopez, but he is horrible on defense and as you point out he doesn't rebound (those are the two most important qualities in an NBA center)

---------- Post added January-17th-2012 at 01:40 PM ----------

this

I am Flip's side on this.....this is not the first time mcdumb did this, how about his free throw line attempt down by 20 to the kings...the kings....or him doing whatever it took for him to get his triple double in another losing effort to the bulls and turnovers he commits when he think he is magic johnson...I can go on and on...him and nick don't get it, it is about being professional and changing the culture here.Ship ny, mcgee and blatche, and just play with whomever is left on the team it's not like we are playoff bound anyway. Draft unibrow to replace mcdumb trade mcgee for a first rounder and pick up a shooter like tony wroten

I am Flip's side on this.....this is not the first time mcdumb did this, how about his free throw line attempt down by 20 to the kings...the kings....or him doing whatever it took for him to get his triple double in another losing effort to the bulls and turnovers he commits when he think he is magic johnson...I can go on and on...him and nick don't get it, it is about being professional and changing the culture here.Ship ny, mcgee and blatche, and just play with whomever is left on the team it's not like we are playoff bound anyway. Draft unibrow to replace mcdumb trade mcgee for a first rounder and pick up a shooter like tony wroten

you don't get rid of McGee unless you are going to get something serious in return.

It would be great to be able to trade Nick to a playoff team who needs scoring off the bench...get something for nothing since he isn't going to re-sign here anyway.

I don't think anyone will trade for Blatche, he will likely get amnestied next year.

trade mcgee for a first rounder and pick up a shooter like tony wroten

you don't trade a guy who is actually developing into a legit NBA starter unless you are getting a starter back in return. McGee has a bright future, I'm not trading him unless it is a package deal for an above average NBA starter. I'm also trading my 2012 lottery pick for a proven NBA commodity....this drafting "potential" **** is getting old. We've got Wall and McGee...time to trade other assets (like lottery picks) for proven vet scorers to go along with them.

you can do that too...whatever it takes to get them off the team I am okay with

It's been said before....but we really need to get rid of Ernie and Flip this year, bring in Sloan and whoever is SA's right hand man in the general manager's office.....let them make the decisions on who stays and who goes.

Even though it's been a small sample-size, McGee has won me over this year with his play. If you haven't seen the overall improvement in his game, then I don't know what to tell you. We're going to put this team even further back by trading proven NBA starters for draft picks (as Gator pointed out). I'll flat out say it...even with the 1-11 record, McGee has been our best player. I also think he's being subjected to unfair criticism for his dunk yesterday because of his reputation. I have yet to see Wall being raked over the coals for his untimely technical fouls, staredowns, etc. He's 23 years old and getting BETTER. I know that's a hard concept for people to grasp because of their viewpoint of the man, but he's actually putting in the work to improve his game. Wall and McGee are the two cornerstones of this franchise. It may sound like a joke, but those are two guys you CAN build around.

*I'm not sure I mentioned it here, but as far as McGee's triple-double last year...just remember WHO was drawing up plays in the final minutes for him to achieve that goal. Yup, Flip. I think the man is a joke and should have been fired a long time ago.

Edited by RonArtest15

I am a huge Sloan fan...but lets be real , he would be crazy to want to come to this circus

People said the same thing about Shanahan. There are some coaches that like challenges. Others tend to be opportunistic and wait to see where the stars align before making a move (See Phil Jackson).

Everyone hyping Tyson Chandler... how many teams has he been on again? I'm willing to believe that a few teams are stupid but no one wants to pay this guy. Most of his career he's been a single digit rebounder and scorer. Yes he's a good defender but he's not great at anything, including defense. Today, right now, if I had to pick McGee or Chandler I take McGee everyday. He's better at everything accept defensive awareness and frankly I think Tyson's has been a little over hyped after his year with the Mavs.

Right now McGee is 4th in RPG, 10th in PPG, and 1st in BPG. He's good at most things is looking more like a consistent double double. You don't let him go unless you have to because behind him the Wizards have a pile of garbage. If you think this team looks bad now put Blatche and Seraphin at center and see how you like it.

Everyone hyping Tyson Chandler... how many teams has he been on again? I'm willing to believe that a few teams are stupid but no one wants to pay this guy. Most of his career he's been a single digit rebounder and scorer. Yes he's a good defender but he's not great at anything, including defense. Today, right now, if I had to pick McGee or Chandler I take McGee everyday. He's better at everything accept defensive awareness and frankly I think Tyson's has been a little over hyped after his year with the Mavs.

Right now McGee is 4th in RPG, 10th in PPG, and 1st in BPG. He's good at most things is looking more like a consistent double double. You don't let him go unless you have to because behind him the Wizards have a pile of garbage. If you think this team looks bad now put Blatche and Seraphin at center and see how you like it.

actually Chandler is GREAT on defense and without him the Mavs don't win the Finals. I agree that I'd take McGee over him, but that is mainly due to age and ceiling. If I was a contender trading for a rental player and had to pick between McGee and Chandler, I take Chandler every single time.

being the best player on a 1-12 team does not impress me....his numbers do not count for taking terrible shots at the worst times...or crying for a call and not getting back on defense or untimely goaltending over and over and over again...rather have a player with a higher bball iq.

being the best player on a 1-12 team does not impress me....his numbers do not count for taking terrible shots at the worst times...or crying for a call and not getting back on defense or untimely goaltending over and over and over again...rather have a player with a higher bball iq.

how many games have you watched this year? I think McGee has shown dramatic improvement in all aspects of the game. He has definitely improved his post game, rebounding, and on the ball defense. Since I've been on the West Coast the past couple weeks, I've only gotten to see a few Wizards games, but I've probably seen over half of the games this year and I think his goaltendings have dramatically decreased as well.

very very impressed with mcgee progress and I have painfully watched every game this year, offensively he has improved..that being said he needs to know his limitations , where we are in a game situation, what's a good shot in this particular moment, overall bball iq

Edited by shuler74

I'd rather have the dream team. Unless you can find a way to land a center that is better than him your complaints are just noise. The bottom line is that you don't improve a franchise by dumping it's better players, especially at the center position which is horribly thin at the moment league wide.

And please... don't suggest the draft. I'm going to throw up if one more person talks about the draft like the cure to all the Wizards ills. This team is young enough: (red rookie, yellow 2nd year)

Wall / Mack

Young / Crawford

Singleton / Vesely

Booker / Blatche

McGee / Seraphin

If we got any younger we'd be hoping for a final four appearance.