Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

What's the story on Gortat? I haven't watched too much of him outside of the playoffs a few years back. I know that netted him his big deal but I thought he kinda came back down to earth after that? And what would picking him up mean for Javale?

He's definitely come down to earth since signing his new deal but with that being said, he'd still probably be our best big man. Well, at least one of our best big men.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

Gortat and Carter for Arenas would be a pretty sweet deal :pfft:

Sure would be.

I honestly wouldn't mind Rashard Lewis a whole lot if Gortat came with him. Lewis can play SF and open up a lot of space for Wall and Blatche to work inside. I've always felt that Lewis was more of a SF than a PF.

Any of you guys going to the game tomorrow night? If so, I'll be in section 415, Row B, provided that I am not called into work ( I'll know whether I have to go by 10 tomorrow morning).

I was planning on going to but I'm a little less prepared for my Forensic Biology exam than I had expected to be. So nope, I won't be there to rub it in your face after we win. :D

Edited by No Excuses

I was planning on going to but I'm a little less prepared for my Forensic Biology exam than I had expected to be. So nope, I won't be there to rub it in your face after we win. :D

:ols: Well we're about due for a loss anyway, even though a loss tomorrow is highly unlikely. I'd actually be happy for you guys if you somehow pulled a horseshoe out of your asses and won. I'm sure it would mean a whole lot in an otherwise forgettable season that you're having thus far.

Edited by Mr. Sinister

:ols: Well we're about due for a loss anyway, even though a loss tomorrow is highly unlikely. I'd actually be happy for you guys if you somehow pulled a horseshoe out of your asses and won. I'm sure it would mean a whole lot in an otherwise forgettable season that you're having thus far.

Yeah but even wins aren't really that sweet at this point when the guy we all waited to see all offseason can't even get on the court. Always something with this franchise.

---------- Post added December-17th-2010 at 11:19 PM ----------

BQRMagic

"Heard through 'back-channels' the Gil trade is done." - @SBNation colleague @AndrewSharp

Bittersweet moment for sure. I'll say what I have to say when it's finalized.

I can't see Orlando giving up Gortat. He is their only big man with size behind Howard.

I also can't see us taking back Lewis.

It's most likely for Carter's expiring contract. Maybe Orlando sweetens it up a tad bit with their first round pick but I doubt it.

:ols:

Adding their first is more than "sweetening it up a tad"

I dunno. Everything about DC sports infuriates me right now. Hate to see Gil go.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/12/17/AR2010121706208.html

Wizards-Heat preview: Josh Howard could return, adding another veteran to lineup

Josh Howard could make his long-anticipated season debut on Saturday against the Miami Heat.

Howard, a 30-year-old former all-star forward, has been out of action since he tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee last February, cutting short a four-game stint after arriving from Dallas in a trade deadline deal.

"I'm looking forward to coming back. I enjoyed my four games playing here last season and hopefully, I can shake the rust off and get back to being the old Josh Howard," he said.

Howard has been practicing with the team for nearly a month and visited a doctor on Friday. If granted clearance, Howard said he expects to play about 20 minutes against the Heat.

No matter how much he plays, Howard's return would be a welcome addition for the struggling Wizards (6-18), a team that has lost six games in a row and will likely play its 10th game without No. 1 overall pick John Wall, who continues to be sidelined with right knee tendinitis. It will also provide the Wizards with a seven-year veteran who already knows what several of his teammates are trying to learn.

"It's not an excuse, but it's a rebuilding year, but you just try to stay with it," Howard said. "Those guys are fighting hard to learn the program. I still expect good things. We're only 24 games into this thing and it could be a quick turnaround."

I can't see Orlando giving up Gortat. He is their only big man with size behind Howard.

I also can't see us taking back Lewis.

It's most likely for Carter's expiring contract. Maybe Orlando sweetens it up a tad bit with their first round pick but I doubt it.

If you take Lewis than it's a **** deal for both teams no matter who else is involved. And Gortat isn't that sweet, McGee is much better.

I've now read in a couple of places that the deal is done, it's going to be announced tomorrow, Gilbert will make his Orlando debut on Monday, but there is no word as to what we're getting.

Also that Orlando is working on a second, separate deal with Phoenix.

EDIT: This **** is getting crazy. Just read somewhere that Carter AND Rashard Lewis are coming here. No ****ing clue how they'd make the contracts work on something like that. I'm not going to be happy if we get Rashard though. That defeats the whole purpose.

http://www.orlandopinstripedpost.com/2010/12/18/1883348/source-rashard-lewis-possibly-included-in-orlando-magic-trade-for

I mean messing around with the Trade Machine, Carter and Lewis is at $37 mil. Gilbert isn't even half of that. The one thing I got to work was Gilbert, Hinrich, and Blatche. I hate Blatche. With a passion. But I don't hate him to where I want to take on the NBA's 2nd largest contract for the next 3 years (Lewis).

And looking at his numbers, I don't get the hype of Gortat. I'd much rather have Bass or even Anderson.

Edited by G.A.C.O.L.B.

I'd hate to swap Gil for Shard but I see the reason behind it. Gil is the last surviving member from the pre-Ted era. Get rid of him and we have a clean slate. The true rebuild doesn't start unless it is 100% completely Wall's team. This also frees up a lot of minutes for Nick Young and puts Kirk at his primary position of a back up SG.

‎

MrMichaelLee‎ Heavy security. Police with dogs outside of Verizon Center. Just got patted down by Secret Service. You know what's up.

Twitter - 8 minutes ago

‎

MrMichaelLee‎ MIA game should be a circus. Verizon Center is making preparations for President Obama to attend his 2nd Wiz game, according to a source.

Twitter - 30 minutes ago

‎

MrMichaelLee‎ 2 more sources confirmed Gilbert Arenas-to-ORL trade talks have heated up. 1 said deal isn't imminent; Arenas expected to suit up vs. MIA

Twitter - 33 minutes ago

what rashad lewis does bring is a legit SF but it brings another big man who wants to shoot from outside like Yi, and blatche. it would be nice to get gortat. some guy on washpost said it was gortat and a 1st round pick for gil

Rashard is also allergic to defense so he should fit right in

i'm not thrilled to get him to be honest

found the contract details:

http://www.shamsports.com/content/pages/data/salaries/magic.jsp

2010/11: 19.5mil

2011/12: 21.1mil

2012/13: 22.6mil

trading one bad contract for another, if Lewis is apart of the deal

Edited by StillUnknown

Rashard is also allergic to defense so he should fit right in

anybody have Lewis' contract info?

i'm not thrilled to get him to be honest

Two more years after this one. Basically one year less than Gilbert. Although I've read that his last year is incentive based and if he isn't performing up to a certain level, he only sees half of the money.

Do it. Long term it take sense. We are in 100% full-rebuild mode. This would be our final move to clean house. This rebuild is only just started, we have at least 1-2 more years to go. This trade would do 2 things:

1) Allow Nick Young to start and get major minutes. We need to go 100% youth and development.

2) Give us freedom from a max contract one year earlier. It is a year shorter than Gils and his final year is only 10 million.

I would absolutely rather trade for VC straight up. But we need to do something.