Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

So what happened to his shooting? I thought he shot pretty decent in the summer league. I don't get any of the games so all I can go on is the box score.

And someone mentioned finding a great center in the draft. Do they even exist anymore? I haven't seen a Shaq/David Robinson/Ewing/Olajuwan type in a looooong time. And Dwight Howard doesn't count. He's more of a power forward build to me.

Dwight Howard is definitely a center. He's got the same build as David Robinson plus about 35 pounds of muscle. And he has a post game. He stacks up well with any other center in league history.

Yao was a great center when he was still alive.

There are actually a decent amount of exciting young centers in the league right now. Andrew Bogut and Brook Lopez are already producing good numbers and they have long careers ahead of them. DeMarcus Cousins was a great prospect and he'll be dominant once he develops. Gasol is a pretty good center too even though he can run like a power forward. He's a force in the paint. Stoudemire is an original prototype center who is an elite scorer in transition.

There are more good 7 footers in the league than ever. A lot of them, like Nowitzki, end up settling at power forward because they can run and shoot. In the 80's and early 90's, that wouldn't have happened. They'd have been pigeonholed into playing the low post because there weren't enough 7 footers to go around.

Kirk Hinrich is not very good and Gilbert hasn't looked the same.

Hinrich provides leadership and the intangibles but as far as his actual play,yeah, he's not very good.

And as for Gil, he's not completely healthy. He hasn't gotten over the strained tendon in his foot.

It also doesn't help thats he's 10lbs overweight.

If he just increased his rebounding (especially offensive boards) he would be fine. His game needs to be 100% rebounding and blocking.

6.8 RPG is not good enough for someone as tall and athletic as him. There is absolutely no reason he can't average 10+ a game.

If he could average 10+ rpg and 2+ blocks per game he would be awesome.

Saw this on ESPN today - "McGee now has 17 blocks in the season's first six games -- i.e. just under three per contest. By way of reference, last year's NBA leader, Dwight Howard, averaged 2.8 blocks per game, and he was one of only five players to block more than two shots per game"

He's not getting enough minutes to average 10+ rebounds a game. If you look at his per 48 minute numbers, they're like 13 rebounds a game and 5 blocks. If he got about 32-33 minutes a game, I bet he could get there. Right now he's getting playing time commensurate with a top backup. Also keep in mind that his rebound numbers will be vultured by having Blatche, Thornton, and Wall on the court--each of them good rebounders themselves.

I'm not worried about McGee's shot. I'd rather see him develop an actual post game and become more of a presence in the paint. He's offensively gifted, we could ramp up his scoring quite a bit by having him and Wall run a fast break offense constantly just like the Suns used to.

Does anyone pay attention to ESPN's rookie rankings? They've got Wall ranked #2 behind Blake Griffin right now. WTF?!? And those rankings were published today no less, so they have to take into account Wall's historic achievement last night.

Let me get this straight. John Wall is leading the league in steals, is fourth in assists, and averaging more PPG than Griffin despite being the chief facilitator for his team. He's already had two historically good games in his first six as a rookie. Wall is 26th overall in scoring, Blake Griffin is 50th. How the **** is he not miles ahead of everyone else?

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2010/11/colin_cowherd_now_doesnt_like.html

Colin Cowherd now doesn't like John Wall's dad

By Dan Steinberg

John Wall had an ok game Wednesday night. Triple-double. Crazy dunk. One turnover. Home win.

This meant a couple things to radio host Colin Cowherd.

1) Time to brag about how many people paid attention last time he ripped Wall. He said he got more than a dozen e-mails about Wall within 10 minutes after Wednesday's game ended.

"Why do I host a radio show? That's why. Wednesday night, irrelevant NBA game, people in D.C. rushed to their computers. You have an opinion on John Wall. Mines's not yours. I don't want him as my long-term future."

2) Time to again talk about the Dougie, making him the only person in America (besides me) still talking about it.

"He's gonna be a fast break of 1, he's not gonna be a lot-of-titles guy, he's not gonna be that guy....Just because I don't jump into the hype fest of the Kentucky media to the D.C. media, who have an agenda, an emotional conviction toward him? Sorry. But I hated the Dougie. It's absurd, it's not what leaders do in any industry, it's childish, it's bad judgment, and I don't care if the guy at the arena told you to do the Dougie. I hated it."

3) Time to rip on John Wall's dead father.

"Let me tell you something: I'm a big believer, when it comes to quarterbacks and point guards. Who's your dad? Who's your dad? Because I like confrontational players, I don't like passive aggressive. Strong families equal strong leaders. Talent? Overrated. Leadership? Underrated. And you can say, well, Colin, can you just go out and say anything crazy and get people to e-mail. That's not the point. You wouldn't e-mail if I was an idiot, because you wouldn't listen to the show. You listen to the show because we make good points.

"I simply have a different opinion than you do on John Wall. I like the character of Derek Fisher, the rebounding and distribution ability of Rajon Rondo, that's what I like. That's what I want from my point guards. You celebrate the assists more than the buckets.....I know he's great. So don't confuse [me saying] John Wall's no good. No, John Wall's an A+ talent. I don't think he's ever gonna be an A+ win-championships point guard."

Click link for entire article

It's easy for him to say that, as he's currently playing for an organization that hasn't been great.

Put him on a great team, and he will win lots of titles.

Cowherd is a moron.

Seriously.

Bag on the kid for his turnovers, and don't give him any credit for the points/assists/steals.

He's on a terrible team and he's tearing it up. Give him to a good team that needs a PG and then maybe Cowherd would like him. Cowherd is a joke.

Cowherd is a moron. He says crazy **** that said in person could result in a busted lip. For example (from the above mentioned article):

"One of the things I've always knocked against Derrick Rose of the Chicago Bulls, Derrick Rose has a passive-aggressive personality. He's not confrontational. What does that mean? That's not a good husband, and it's not a good point guard, and it's not a good CEO.

Can you imagine saying to a man you don't know that because I've watched you play ball you're clearly not a good husband? That's a hell of a personal comment.

He later, for no reason, decides Mike Vick and John Wall are very similar. wow...

Edited by Destino

Seriously.

Bag on the kid for his turnovers, and don't give him any credit for the points/assists/steals.

He's on a terrible team and he's tearing it up. Give him to a good team that needs a PG and then maybe Cowherd would like him. Cowherd is a joke.

Also since when is rebounding a bigger quality in a point guard than scoring? Perhaps I'm old fashion but I want my PG passing, defending, and scoring in that order. Rebounding isn't a top three for my ideal point guard. Your fast players should be available to defend the break not be caught up in the wash trying to snatch rebounds while their defensive assignment is flying down the court for an easy bucket.

Also since when is rebounding a bigger quality in a point guard than scoring? Perhaps I'm old fashion but I want my PG passing, defending, and scoring in that order. Rebounding isn't a top three for my ideal point guard. Your fast players should be available to defend the break not be caught up in the wash trying to snatch rebounds while their defensive assignment is flying down the court for an easy bucket.

Exactly.

Dude is 6'4". He's not going to have a ton of rebounds, and neither are any of the other 6'4" guys in the league. If its a contested rebound, there's no question that a guy that's 6'7" and above is going to get it, not your PG.

Comparing Rondo to Wall is silly. Rondo gets to pass the ball to four future Hall of Famers. Surround Wall with that kind of talent and there is no way he doesn't win at least one ring. But as McD5 said if he's stuck on a bad franchise or has a string of bad luck he won't win. There have been a lot of GREAT NBA players, particularly PGs, that have never won a ring for a number of reasons. Stockton, Nash, Kidd, Payton(until he hopped on to the Heat bandwagon waaay late into his career)just to name a few. It's silly to say Wall will never win a ring when he's only 20 and just starting his career playing for a franchise that has always been fairly mediocre(although probably on the upswing now with new ownership).

The whole dad thing is just stupid. Men without father figures can't be great leaders? Tell that to Barack Obama.

Jesus Christ, Cowherd ripped on Derrick Rose as a husband? If I were Rose, I'd find him and punch him in the face. Charge me with assault. I don't care. You don't do that to a man.

He needs to be taken off the air. He's officially out of control. (I would also add that he need to be taken off the air because he sucks. He repeats himself, over and over and over, repeating himself, then repeating himself again, and repeating himself yet again, and, well, now you know how annoying that can be.)

Edited by Hubbs

Cowherd is a moron. He says crazy **** that said in person could result in a busted lip. For example (from the above mentioned article):

Can you imagine saying to a man you don't know that because I've watched you play ball you're clearly not a good husband? That's a hell of a personal comment.

He later, for no reason, decides Mike Vick and John Wall are very similar. wow...

About Rose being a good husband...he must be talking about passive-aggressive in general, 'cause I don't think Rose is married.

Also, flame him http://twitter.com/herdonespnradio

He is an anomaly. The generalization is still true.

John Wall is an anomaly too. He has 6'9 reach. He'll be a very good rebounder. I'm not sure how Cowherd can criticize him for rebounding. Really there is nothing to criticize Wall over. Pretty much he is as great as a rookie PG can be.

Cowherd is just a stupid, worthless piece of ****. That's all that needs to be said about him. Let's not do ourselves the disservice of actually paying attention to his tripe.