Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

good 3rd quarter from Otto.

His jumpshot isn't the prettiest from an aesthetic point of view, but it works for him.

Otto looks a step above everybody else on the court, thats about what it should be for this stage.

If he can hit a open 3 at a decent clip, Ariza won't be missed that much. We'll take a hit short term on defense, but we should be able to live.

I am not sure what to think of this move of letting Ariza go considering he is under 30 and he is not getting $10 plus mill a year.  My initial reaction wants to be angry for losing the talent, now if we replace it down the road next offseason with someone better I will be alright but I just don't have faith in Ernie and Teddy. 

Also, is it really that big of a deal to go over the salary cap? I thought the soft cap was to help us retain our own players.  Maybe this is the right decision, I really don't know, I just hope it's not Ted wanting to be cheap and settle for bronze. 

Sam AmickVerified account

‏@sam_amick

The Houston Rockets have agreed to a four-year, $32 million deal with Trevor Ariza, @USATODAYsports has learned.

Odd that he signed for less than what the wizards were reportedly offering per year. Maybe the reports were wrong or the wizards were not offering 4 years. I'm glad he wasn't resigned here, this team needs some flexibility at least. Losing his defense will hurt but the wizards need another ball handler and Ariza made my head hurt often when he tried to dribble it. Deng would be nice but as long as Nene's horrible contract remains there is little chance of signing anyone good. Better to use the 5 million to sign some depth and see what Otto can do. A combo guard would be a nice addition, pity we could get Jack from the Cavs, I'd have liked him here backing up Beal more than I do Webster, who is another guy that can't dribble. Edited by Destino

To my lil bros @John_Wall and @RealDealBeal23 stay on that grind love y'all boys. #wizkids #respect

I want to thank @WashWizards mr. @TedLeonsis and the whole dmv for two great years. I will alway be grateful for you guys. Much love...

Congrats to my bro @TrevorAriza Tough to see him go, he pushed me everyday to get better...gud luck out there !!

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

Rice took 16 free throws? Was he just going straight to the rim everytime he touched it?

Edit: I'm going to ignore that spelling of "gud". It never happened.

Lol. Not everytime. But it did seem to be his first instinct. Edited by STBonecrusher21

apparently his contract also declines in value each year

Adrian WojnarowskiVerified account

‏@WojYahooNBA

Washington would love to replace Ariza with free agent Luol Deng, but only has the mid-level exception to offer him. He's seeking $10M-plus.

Ernie about to get real stupid

Luckily, the rules prevent him from getting too stupid. He's only got the MLE. The most damage he can do is 5 and a half million.

Unless of course he starts trading draft picks.

Michael Lee

‏@MrMichaelLee

According to league sources, #wizards offered same deal to Trevor Ariza as HOU. Big (almost $3 mil) difference? No state income tax in Texas

Texas will get that tax revenue somehow.

You've got to think the bigger difference is:

1.) Houston is better.

2.) He won't have an Otto Porter breathing down his neck for the starting job.

I can't notice much of a difference. Hopefully Gortat can lock him in the weight room or something.

Damnit Otto still looks like a stick figure and doesn't even have much definition in those arms.  Even Nerlens Noel looks noticably larger this season and I'm pretty sure he was mostly invisible when he turned sideways.  Someone needs to force that young man into a weight room.  Without much speed he needs to at least be strong.  

Edited by Destino

Damnit Otto still looks like a stick figure. Even Nerlens Noel looks noticably larger this season and I'm pretty sure he was mostly invisible when he turned sideways. Someone needs to start sneaking weight gainer into all of his meals and put a bonus in his contract for time spent in the weight room.

Eh Tayshaun Prince has been a skinny little **** his ENTIRE career. If Otto was a big expected to bang down low on the regular (like a Noel) I'd be more concerned.

• Like 1

Not even mad that Ariza left.  He capitalized on a contract year and probably owes a good chunk of his FA money to John Wall.  What I would like to see happen is the team get Paul Pierce in here on a one year deal.

Agreed. Good for Ariza, I wish him well. Losing him will hurt in the short term but it won't kill us. Long term, it keeps the door open for a Durant offer in 2016. Short term, Otto is going to have to step up and I think the kid has it in him.

Also, I would love to get Pierce in on a one year deal but I don't know what our options for it are. All I think we've got is the MLE and that's got to be four years. He'll want more than a min contract.

It's unfortunate because Pierce's leadership and pedigree could have been very valuable for us.

I think we're basically going to be the same team as last year minus Ariza. I expect Harrington and Gooden to be back. Seraphin will probably be back. And then Booker might be back. Temple's gone I guess.

GRJr and Porter will be like new additions though, considering how little they played last season.

• Like 1

I for one thought Otto looked great today. He was much quicker off the dribble. He also displayed his cutting and rebounding skills that we've seen in bits last year, proving those are real skills he possesses. Lastly, his his shot was largely uncontested. What i mean is that, his shots were well timed, caught the defender a little off guard, and had great elevation. These skills will translate well during the season regardless of whether or not he gains weight.

If anything, i would just like to see him knock down a few more 3's. But i do not expect him to get the type of open 3's Wall will get him during the season. He also needs to know when the best option is to cut to the basket, or step back for the 3. There were multiple times where the shot clock was winding down and the pg was looking for dribble penetration and kickout for Otto at the perimeter, but Otto was cutting to the basket. This isnt a terrible problem because Ariza/Webster rarely looked to cut toward the basket last year. Even if they did, they rarely had the handles to control a pass going into the paint. But it is something he shold try to improve, because more often than not, Wall will be looking to kick to the perimeter with Gortat and Nene clogging the paint.

Rice looked good. He attacked well. But i would like to see him get better shots off. Many of them seemed like they would get sent into the second row by a legit front court.

Damnit Otto still looks like a stick figure and doesn't even have much definition in those arms.  Even Nerlens Noel looks noticably larger this season and I'm pretty sure he was mostly invisible when he turned sideways.  Someone needs to force that young man into a weight room.  Without much speed he needs to at least be strong.

I don't know, I had an argument about Noel with some posters on RealGM. He looks like a kid to me. Very slender shoulders and back and very skinny legs. His shoulders and wrists and legs are so slim, I just don't see him ever being big.

Porter is a beanpole but his shoulders have some width and I think he can gain some weight eventually.

Plus it helps that he's a SF and not a PF/C.

Man, I'm actually sad to see Ariza go. My brain says it's good for us in the long run. But he was a good dude and it's kind of sad seeing our players lose their friend. Ariza was a good guy and he was a good player.

We haven't had so many good players lately that watching one walk for nothing won't sting a little bit.

I read that Jordan Clarkson looked good in his SL debut. He's going to be one to watch. I'd hate to have given LA another serviceable young backup PG while we struggle to fill the position year in and year out.

I missed our SL game. Was watching a snoozefest WC match and forgot about it.

I wish I'd seen it though because I want to see any positive signs from Otto that I can get. I'm seeing him listed as the C for the game on NBA.com. WTF?

We're going to need both Porter and GRJr to be huge for us early in the year. No Ariza, no Webster, no Temple. Those two are about to get a TON of burn. Beal is the only other SG/SF on the roster aside from those two.

I don't really expect a ton from Daniel Orton. This is his fourth season. He's been in the league long enough now that you figure he would show at least something if he were ever going to live up to that natural talent.

But I hoped Khem Birch would show well enough to make the end of the roster. He's athletic and he was a good defensive player in college. UNLV actually had a good defense and he was playing next to Anthony Bennett. But 8 fouls and no rebounds isn't a good start...

I also want to see Deonte Burton play. He's another one I'd like to see make the team.