Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Maybe I'm confused, but why were people throwing out possibilities like 6th? If the Wizards didn't get picked, I would assume they could only get worse, i.e., the teams at 10, 11, 12 get picked for the top 3, not better. I thought it would be top 3, or 9th at best. Am I right?

I wouldn't trade the pick. Not only because UnWise Mike thinks they should. For me that's enough to know the opposite is the best move.

But a rookie will be cheaper and this team isn't a FA away from anything. The NBA is built for 6 teams or so to be REALLY good, and the rest to be their practice beyond the 1st round of the playoffs.

Wall, Beal and Porter for the next few years together sounds like something they can roll with...IF healthy.

I would avoid Noel at all costs.  I hope Cleveland snags him at #1 because that dude would be a disaster for the Wizards.  Porter is the safer and I think likely choice.  Bennett is the upside gamble pick.  My concern is that both of those guys can dribble and shoot and Ernie never drafts guys that can do both of those things.  So I could see him going with some unexpected project pick that can jump high and run fast.  

I wouldn't trade the pick. Not only because UnWise Mike thinks they should. For me that's enough to know the opposite is the best move.

But a rookie will be cheaper and this team isn't a FA away from anything. The NBA is built for 6 teams or so to be REALLY good, and the rest to be their practice beyond the 1st round of the playoffs.

Wall, Beal and Porter for the next few years together sounds like something they can roll with...IF healthy.

I would only trade the pick if it brought a star caliber player and one of the wizards heavy contracts was traded away, though not necessarily in the same trade.  Wall, Beal, and Porter aren't going anywhere without an allstar at the 4 or 5 because neither Beal nor Porter are shot creators.  If you want to be good, you need two. 

If they can't do that, which is likely, then I'm perfectly happy with Porter or Bennett at #3.  If they can trade back, Len would be nice.  This team could certainly use another big.  

Randy Wittman's nightmare.   :lol:

The guy doesn't play defense.  I mean that as literally as you can without a player actually sitting down on the court.  

Again, I haven't watched enough college ball to get a real read on any player, but damn near every scouting report on Bennett mentions that he's one the worst they've seen on defense. Most along the lines of he doesn't really try on defense and when he does, he's clueless.

If he's drafted by us, Wittman will have about 50 new "WittmanFaces" before the season is over.

I would only trade the pick if it brought a star caliber player and one of the wizards heavy contracts was traded away, though not necessarily in the same trade.  Wall, Beal, and Porter aren't going anywhere without an allstar at the 4 or 5 because neither Beal nor Porter are shot creators.  If you want to be good, you need two. 

If they can't do that, which is likely, then I'm perfectly happy with Porter or Bennett at #3.  If they can trade back, Len would be nice.  This team could certainly use another big.  

I've read a few people mention a trade, but without saying "who" they had in mind. Same with free agents. Who is a biggish name that would want to sign in Washington, and would be a good fit? They are a year from clearing serious room. Right?

I'd prefer the safer pick with Porter. I'm saying this as a Terp grad. I want the G-Town guy. I think he serves everything they need. A player in that position who isn't a project. Also, a name that might put a few more butts in the seats because he already made his name playing in that same building. Maybe something changes over the next month as far as who's ranked where. But right now....today...if the draft was held and he was there at 3. I would take him.

Need a forward or a center, right? Who else will be there at that spot? Porter, Bennett, Zeller, Muhammed. Correct?