Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Right now, I'd be really happy if we got one of Shabazz, Porter, Bennett, Mclemore, Zeller, or Noel. I hope they all declare and we get a top 6-8 pick. You know some PGs will go in the top half of the lottery so one of those 6 guys will still probably be there at 7 or 8.

Edited by SuperBash

http://sulia.com/channel/basketball/f/b070ac38-d6f2-4700-8724-8fd46525dbbe/?source=twitter

Does your team need an explosive scorer on the cheap? It appears Wizards SG Jordan Crawford is eminently available now that Bradley Beal is in full bloom and the Wizards' management and coaching staff are looking to finish the season strong (they're 11-8 since John Wall returned) to prove this roster, when healthy, is a playoff-caliber one to owner Ted Leonsis. Crawford can fill up a boxscore -- he averaged 19 points, six assists and five rebounds a game in December when he was playing 35 minutes -- but I can't tell you how many scouts and other basketball heads grind their teeth watching him play, in large degree because of a perceived selfish streak.

Right now, I'd be really happy if we got one of Shabazz, Porter, Bennett, Mclemore, Zeller, or Noel. I hope they all declare and we get a top 6-8 pick. You know some PGs will go in the top half of the lottery so one of those 6 guys will still probably be there at 7 or 8.

Same. Add McAdoo to the list for me. And I could learn to like Austin and Len.

Right now, I'm hoping for Zeller or Noel. I just think that long term, it makes the best sense for the team. I love the construction of a good big man paired with our two guards long term. I don't think we can get Noel, but you never know. And hopefully we'll at least get a shot at Zeller.

Once again watching the terps and Len is obviously negatively impacted by the **** guard play on the team. He is open under the basket constantly and no one even considers making the pass.

I thought this was a showcase game for Len. He really looked good to me. It's games like that where you see his absolutely tantalizing upside. On pure talent, he's in the class with Zeller and Noel. He's so long. But I feel like Zeller in particular is so much safer.

I'm glad I don't have to make this draft pick. No matter which way we go, someone is going to have wanted someone else.

Or maybe we'll get screwed over by the lottery and our choice will be made easy for us.

---------- Post added February-16th-2013 at 09:20 PM ----------

Makes you wonder how good he would be with someone like Wall feeding him and Beal/Webster on the wings.......

I wonder how good he's going to be once he gets his body adjusted to the NBA?

He's a very impressive physical talent. Such length and agility. He's got some definite offensive skills too. Good FT shooter, good mid range touch, nice array of inside finishes. He's dominated Willie Cauley Stein, Nerlens Noel, and Mason Plumlee now. This game was really a reminder of how good he can be when he's on.

I wonder how good he's going to be once he gets his body adjusted to the NBA?

He's a very impressive physical talent. Such length and agility. He's got some definite offensive skills too. Good FT shooter, good mid range touch, nice array of inside finishes. He's dominated Willie Cauley Stein, Nerlens Noel, and Mason Plumlee now. This game was really a reminder of how good he can be when he's on.

Yep.

I think if we're picking anywhere from #4 on down he has to be the pick. Just based on upside alone.

And we also have to consider that Emeka will be going into the last year of his deal.

A Len and Nene combo is intriguing......

Already been a HUGE day for top NBA prospects in CBB. So far, almost every top guy has played and most had a great day. Short summary:

- Alex Len, dominant in a huge win over Duke. He got Plumlee in foul trouble and kept him from playing aggressive. 6-8 from the fiels and 7-8 from the FT line. 19 points, 9 rebounds, and 3 blocks. He looked like the best player in the game.

- Plumlee, dominated by Len and you see a stark difference in their talent level IMO. And even though he's a senior, I wouldn't say he's that much more polished than Len. 2-7 from the field for just 4 points and 3 rebounds and 2 assists against 5 fouls.

- Cody Zeller, very good but unspectacular game today since the backups got so much run. He and his teammates just kind of cruised to a blow out win. They made it look easy. Good D today although he got a dumb goal tend. Tremendous job running the floor and you can really see how he would fit so well running with Wall. Good finishing around the rim plus showed off a little more offensive versatility with a nice post fadeaway from about 10-12 feet. Stat line was excellent, 7-12 from the field and 5-6 from the FT line, 19 points, 9 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 steal, and 2 blocks in just 25 minutes. The starters got a lot of rest today because they pretty much dominated Purdue out the gate.

- Shabazz filled it up in a must win game for UCLA. Scored 25 points on 9-14 shooting in which he took a variety of shots. He was just 6-9 from the FT line though. He's got a knack for getting to the line, he needs to get better and get his FT % to 80% in the NBA IMO. His activity level was really good this game. He did a better job defending and pulled down some rebounds but UCLA is a pretty horrible rebounding team. They're obviously a team full of freshmen. All in all, Shabazz looked like an NBA player out there.

- Archie Goodwin and Alex Poythress absolutely need to go back to school.

- James McAdoo could probably benefit from going back to school too. He has got to improve his jump shot and desperately needs to improve his FT shooting. He pretty much plays the 5 exclusively for UNC as they completely lack a true big man. His body is NBA ready. He's actually very strong for a tweener forward and his conditioning is good too. It's not easy playing the 5 and banging in the paint when you're really a 3 or 4. He's a good rebounder and a pretty good defender with a ton of upside on this side of the ball. But his offense needs development. I think he's a fairly high upside NBA player because he's strong enough and a good enough rebounder to play the 4 but is fast and explosive enough to play the 3 and he's a good enough ball handler to play the 3. He just needs to develop his shot because nowadays, a three needs to be able to shoot and he really needs to have 3 PT range.

- Marcus Smart was absolutely sensational, willed his team to a win. It was a star-type performance. Smart has future All Star written all over him IMO. He's a combo guard with some Tyreke and some DWade. He's not nearly as fast as DWade is but he's got Wade's strength and sensational body control. He's also got his ability to stuff the entire stat sheet too. He's got GREAT hands. So quick and coordinated. Compelling intangibles. The mechanics of a decent jumper are there but he's not consistent shooting from range. And he takes a lot of bad shots too. He's raw but man he's good. If he were faster and a more explosive leaper he'd be the clear #1 pick after Noel's injury IMO. 28 points on 7-14 shooting, 11-14 from the FT line and 3-4 from 3. 7 rebounds, 4 assists, 2 steals, and 1 block.

- Didn't watch the game but saw the highlights and Kelly Olynyk had a big day. 26 points on 37-17 shooting with 9 rebounds and 3 blocks. Don't call him a poor man's Dirk...

- Didn't watch Baylor but I saw Austin had a pretty quiet day. 13 points on 4-8 shooting with just 6 rebounds and a steal in a bad loss to Kansas State.

- Didn't watch Syracuse but Michael Carter-Williams's stat line is solid, 14 points on 3-10 shooting, 8-10 from the FT line, 9 rebounds, 3 assists and 2 steals.

All in all, I think this top ten is shaping up to be pretty strong. No clear cut first overall guy any more, but a lot of teams in the early lottery are going to get good players. I could see the lottery playing out something like this:

1.) Noel

2.) Smart

3.) Shabazz

4.) McLemore

5.) Zeller

6.) Len

7.) Bennett

8.) Austin

9.) Porter

10.) Carter-Williams

11.) Oladipo

12.) McAdoo

13.) McCollum

14.) Burke or Plumlee.

---------- Post added February-16th-2013 at 10:30 PM ----------

Seeing Emeke and Okafor getting older, I'm becoming more and more confident that we should select a PF/C as our first pick. We'll have to find a SF who can score somewhere tho, maybe Webster on a cheap deal.

I would seriously consider trying to make trades to get two lottery picks this year.

I think the class is easily at least 14 players deep, assuming everyone who should declare actually does. I think there might even be 14 quality starters in this class.

I would deal off several of the bench guys to consolidate the role players. I'd deal Seraphin and Crawford for a late lottery pick if I could get one. I think you probably could. Then I would float a one or two year deal to Webster and hope for Ariza to pick up his option. I think he probably would. Then I would probably draft Zeller or Len or Noel with our lotto pick and then go with a forward with the second lotto pick, hopefully someone like Otto Porter or James McAdoo.

If we drafted Zeller I think we could start him by his second season when Oak's contract would be up. And if you get Porter too, you could start him at the 3 by the time Webster and Ariza would come off the books.

The wizards need a big and a wing player. If they can come out of the draft with both it would be good though I still don't think any of these players are starters next season unless the Wizards lose a current starter. I think Crawford and either Ariza or Webster will be gone next season. So Shabazz and Len/Zeller/Noel should do it. :) (not happening)

Edited by Destino

The wizards need a big and a wing player. If they can come out of the draft with both it would be good though I still don't think any of these players are starters next season unless the Wizards lose a current starter. I think Crawford and either Ariza or Webster will be gone next season. So Shabazz and Len/Zeller/Noel should do it. :) (not happening)

Our goal should be to not have to start the draft pick. Keep Martell or start Ariza next year at SF. Oak should be starting at the 5 next year.

But the guy is probably going to have to be a starter by year 2.

Shabazz could probably start as a rookie.

If there was only some way to get one of Len/Noel/Zeller AND one of Shabbazz/Porter/Bennett...

---------- Post added February-17th-2013 at 11:06 AM ----------

@WojYahooNBA: Still many involved for Atlanta's Josh Smith, including Bucks, Nets, Celtics, 76ers, Wizards , others, sources say. Strong belief he's moved.

If there was only some way to get one of Len/Noel/Zeller AND one of Shabbazz/Porter/Bennett...

---------- Post added February-17th-2013 at 11:06 AM ----------

@WojYahooNBA: Still many involved for Atlanta's Josh Smith, including Bucks, Nets, Celtics, 76ers, Wizards , others, sources say. Strong belief he's moved.

That would be nice. Noel + Porter would be awesome but it's probably just a dream.

I'd also love to get Zeller + McAdoo/Porter. I think that could be a pretty nasty front court. McAdoo is a rebounder and Zeller is a scorer and positional defender. High IQ guys who are unselfish.

Re: Josh Smith, that sounds like a lot of competition for him. I doubt we end up with him. We would have to deal Okafor or Nene to get him. I probably wouldn't deal Nene for him. Not unless I needed to do a salary dump.

And there is absolutely 0 chance I include this year's draft pick in a deal for Smith.

I also don't think it makes sense to sign Smith to max money since he's lacking on offense.

Would a Josh Smith/Nene front court work? What do you do with the draft pick?

Josh Smith/Okafor for next year? Then subsequently Josh Smith/Cody Zeller or Alex Len?

---------- Post added February-17th-2013 at 12:30 PM ----------

I'd really have to think about a Josh Smith deal. Acquiring him would constitute a major shift in direction of the rebuild.

I would consider dealing Okafor + Vesely for Josh Smith if he'd sign a long term deal.

I'd consider dealing Nene + contract filler for Smith

But I wouldn't give Smith a deal of more than 14-15 million per year. Just to reiterate, he is not a good enough offensive player to deserve more than that.

Nene + Smith at ~14-15 mil is 27-28 million annually in the starting front court. + 12-14 million annually from Wall is 40 million in three players. Plus you know Beal is getting a big deal eventually, that's our whole team. Is that good enough to contend? I don't really think so. I don't think Nene + Josh Smith is a championship level front court and that's what we'd be paying for.

I'd probably leave Josh Smith alone. Or if I'm scared of Nene, I'd deal him for Smith and then be forced to build through the draft for the replacement big. I don't know if I'm comfortable with that. Smith is a knucklehead.

Seems like an appropriate way to get off the bench.

He's right in saying that he produced when given burn but its not going to get him out of Randy random dog house. He needs to promise not to shoot the ball. Though I still think Randy is wrong for allowing Price or Temple on the floor. Crawford is better than both of them. Price takes bad shots and he can't defend anyone. Temple most nights has absolutely no offensive game.

As for Josh Smith... The only scenario in which he's an upgrade on this team is this:

Wall

Beal

Webster

Smith

Nene

The problem there is larger 4's will abuse him. If nene is traded I don't think the team is better. If he plays the 3 the team loses its best three point shooter. If Smith were really a max worthy star this would be simple. He's not.

Edited by Destino

If we trade for Josh smith, he will play SF, not PF. An already weak rebounding team can't trade their best rebounder unless they get another elite rebounder back. I'd be shocked if Nene was involved in the deal and I doubt Okafor will be either. Smith doesn't have a ton of trade value being that everyone in the NBA knows the Hawks aren't going to bring him back next year.

If we trade for him, I'd expect the trade to include Seraphin, Crawford, and Ariza....we'd also likely either swap 1st round picks with ATL or trade them our 2014 first rounder.

roster could end up like this after the draft:

Okafor/draft pick

Nene/ Booker/ Vesely / Singleton

Smith / Webster / Martin

Beal / Temple

Wall / draft pick /

You have a ton of versatility here....Nene and Okafor can play both 4/5. Vesely, Smith, Singleton can play 3/4. Temple can play 1/2.

I'd like to add another shooter to this lineup and a good back up point guard.

If Smith plays the 3 that puts one three point shooter on the floor with the starting unit. Really one good shooter from any meaningful defense when not left alone. Spacing could be an issue.

Just because that is my proposed starting lineup doesn't mean you can't change it if it doesn't work (I think it would though). You can always play Josh at the 4 in small situations with beal and Webster on the floor at the same time. I'm thinking Webster will be gone next year though....someone is going to overpay for him. I'd like to keep him here if we can, but don't see it happening.

Josh Smith is a power forward. He's been playing almost exclusively at PF for years in ATL. Guys don't go from big positions to smaller ones the later they get in their career. They go the opposite direction. Smith is a (bad) face up power forward with big offensive limitations.

He can't shoot well enough to play the three for us, nor is he especially creative off the dribble. He's got an ORating of 96 this year, which is awful. So is his TS %. He's actually got negative offensive win shares this season. He's been worse than a replacement level player on offense this year. Pretty much the only positive for him has been his passing.

He's an outstanding defender, especially at the 4 where he gets some freedom to roam. He's a good rebounder (though probably not as good as Emeka). He's a great shot blocker. But guys in contract seasons are supposed to put up great years to justify big deals. Smith is having an awful year, one of the worst of his career. You can't give this guy big money. He's looking for 18+ million a year but he's probably only worth 13 or 14 million.

He's also a bit of a knucklehead.