Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

These are clearly my ideas with Teddy saying in the articules above he don't wanna be in the lottery anymore.

Wizards trade

Rashard Lewis

Blatche

# 3

Houston trades

Louis Scola

Kevin Martin

Kyle Lowery

Lowery wants out and would be a great backup PG. Martin has another year left on his deal and can jump right into the 2 spot. Scola gives us a smart vet like Nene at the 4.

Lineup

PG- Wall- Lowery- Mack

OG- Martin- Crawford

SF- Singleton- Vesely

PF- Scola- Booker

C- Nene- Seraphin

NBAdraft.net still has Rivers available at 14 and draftexpress at 12. At #14 and #16 you can still get 2 very good players say Zeller/Henson and a guy like Rivers/Waiters.

That is a playoff team in the East without even adding those picks.

Chad Ford

The Wizards like where they are in the draft. They've been debating between Kidd-Gilchrist and Beal for months. If one of them is off the board, they'll be happy with the other

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/blog/_/name/nba_draft/id/7995832

If both are there, they'll just have to decide between BPA and Best Fit.

Edited by SuperBash

By the time he develops' date=' John Wall will be playing in a state without income taxes. Do the Wizards have the luxury of waiting three or four years?

---------- Post added June-1st-2012 at 08:07 AM ----------

In other words, he is Tyson Chandler and will be on this third team at that point.

Bynum is the only big I can think of that stuck with his original team through years and years of development. And the Lakers had the luxury of patience with him.

I think Drummond will one day be good. I also think that the team that drafts him will be developing him for someone else. That's just the nature of young bigs and the lottery.

There is no rookie in this class that is going to step on the floor and be a force in the NBA immediately. Drummond for all his faults on the offensive side of the floor, the guy can play defense right now. Let's not forget that we have Nene and Seraphin so Drummond doesn't need to play right away. Having said all that I think a long term project is a major burden to a team with Blatche and Vesely under contract.

The only reason Drummond is interesting is because Beal and MKG to me look like, at best, good role players. I am not a talent scout however so it's likely that I'm wrong.

Edited by Destino

LOL at everyone complaining about trading down for more 18-22 year olds. What is the difference in drafting one at #3 or drafting 2 at #6 and #11? Let them all grow together and then maybe in 3 years we'll have a team that can compete. The Trail Blazers and Thunder did that a few years ago and both are competative teams. All you guys wanting to add a stupid veteran or two will just push us from 20 wins to 30 wins, we'll still miss the playoffs and we'll still be in the lottery next year. Adding two veterans is not going to make us instant winners. I've seen this before. Team says they will let the kids play. FO and fans get impatient, FO trades for a bunch of nobodies, Team wins 42 games max, bows out in the 1st/2nd round, team is back in the lottery rebuilding once again. I mean, if we're stripping this thing down, let's just strip it down and start from scratch. Why put a couple of crutches on it? I really think some of you think we are closer to the playoffs then we actually are. We were the 2nd worst team in the league. Second worst.

Edited by pjfootballer

Chad Ford

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/blog/_/name/nba_draft/id/7995832

If both are there, they'll just have to decide between BPA and Best Fit.

My guess is that the Wizards like Robinson, but they're talking up Beal (assuming MKG goes 2nd). I've read that there are plenty of teams that would LOVE to have Beal, Cleveland included. Cavs pick 4, and let's say MKG is off the board. Would they trade up one spot (and trade the #24) with us to take him and then we can take Robinson @ 4?

Like I said before, Robinson on the Wizards makes TOO much sense.

I don't have them taking Robinson over MKG or Beal. We'll see how the combine plays out but that's just my opinion and preference. I'd be real excited for any of the 3 and certainly wouldn't be disappointed.

I just find it odd that they're talking up 2 players this early. My gut tells me it's a smoke screen to some extent.

The more I look at it. Robinson's the guy. He has attributes that allow him to contribute immediately like heart, rebounding and being able to run the floor. He has great footwork so he can learn some go to post moves fairly easily. Plus the guy is from the area and is too easy to root for. I think the Amare comparisons are a good one. I think his athleticism will go well with Wall and his rebounding is a good compliment to our other bigs (Nene and Seraphin) who don't rebound as well.

LOL at everyone complaining about trading down for more 18-22 year olds. What is the difference in drafting one at #3 or drafting 2 at #6 and #11? Let them all grow together and then maybe in 3 years we'll have a team that can compete. The Trail Blazers and Thunder did that a few years ago and both are competative teams. All you guys wanting to add a stupid veteran or two will just push us from 20 wins to 30 wins, we'll still miss the playoffs and we'll still be in the lottery next year. Adding two veterans is not going to make us instant winners. I've seen this before. Team says they will let the kids play. FO and fans get impatient, FO trades for a bunch of nobodies, Team wins 42 games max, bows out in the 1st/2nd round, team is back in the lottery rebuilding once again. I mean, if we're stripping this thing down, let's just strip it down and start from scratch. Why put a couple of crutches on it? I really think some of you think we are closer to the playoffs then we actually are. We were the 2nd worst team in the league. Second worst.

Because that guy getting drafted a #3 is'nt a sure fire better player then the #2 ranked guy at his position.

Beal is'nt a top 3 pick in any draft and I think Lamb and Rivers will be better NBA players.

Lamb is getting knocked this year because he settled for way to many 3's because teams were doubling and trapping him. I bet Beal never saw that wonder why because he can't create? Lamb last year as a freshman was the one hitting clutch shots and playing lockdown defense when Kemba was the one attracting all the attention on there way to the national championship. Lamb has 2 knocks on him his weight but he is extremely long armed and a good defender. And he can get his shot on anybody with his disgusting crossover and quickness but he settles in the lane for to many pullups instead of finishing at the rim getting to the line more.

TRob- It makes the most sense because we don't have a true PF anywhere on our roster. I like Sullinger more but to each there own.

MKG- I love his intangibles but his shot is horrible and his handles are ok and being overrated by alot of people. Most of his scoring came from transition or posting up with his lil jumphook. I can see Barnes being a better NBA Sf very easily. Barnes is a good defender and much better offensive threat with a larger frame then MKG.

And can we all step back for a second and accept that OKC didn't discover fusion. What they did was draft two top ten players, a top fifteen/twenty player, and the league's best shot blocker in consecutive in under five years.

If the Wizards draft three All Stars in the next three years, all their problems are over too.

What the Thunder have done well is clear the decks so their young stars could develop and play.

If you have too many young guys - even if they are talented - you don't end up with the Thunder. You end up with the 2000 Bulls.

Just look at the 2000-01 Bulls to see my nightmare:

Elton Brand - 21 years old

Ron Mercer - 24 years old

Ron Artest - 21 years old

Marcus Fizer - 22 years old

Brad Miller - 24 years old

Khalid Al-Amin - 21 years old

Corey Benjamin - 22 years old

That team won 15 games.

Their genius move the next season was somehow getting YOUNGER by drafting Eddy Curry and Tyson Chandler. They did try to add some leadership by drastically overpaying Jalen Rose. They won 21 games.

What they should have done is said "Our front line is going to be Brand, Miller, and Artest and that's all we care about" and dumped everyone else. Instead, they ran the NBA equivalent of a daycare center for 5 years.

Edited by Lombardi's_kid_brother

Davis will be. ( a force from day one' date=' not a project)..

I seem to be higher on MKG than most, but I think he would either be a starter or a 6th man on 20+ teams.[/quote']

I disagree.. even Davis ( projected #1 pick overall ) is a project. At C or PF he's still undersized 6'10", 220 pounds, he is very young and you are definitely hopeing he grows and get's thicker too. His greatest assets are #1 his shot blocking, and #2 his athletism..

You don't spend a #1 overall for a shot blocker, and even mentioning his athletism in the second breath says the guy needs to develop his offense and doesn't have a mid range jumper to speak of.....

Dude is a power player in college but won't be able to rely on power in his undersized body in the NBA. He is definitely a project. TR to me seems to be the best balance of polish, NBA Body Type, and potential... But since in the NBA one player can make your team, it's understandable how great athletism and potential seems to be weighted so highly.

Edited by JMS

Scoop Jackson hahahha

But as crazy as it sounds, for the Hornets, Kidd-Gilchrist is the right pick.

There's a gaunt line between a need and a want. Missing in all of the post-lottery uproar of league conspiracies concerning the top of the draft order is that teams are sometimes forced to choose between the two.

Often, especially when it comes to professional sports, the line that divides what a team needs and what it wants blurs when the draft order is set. It often gets further indistinguishable when everyone is saying there's one player who can and will change the entire direction of a franchise. In some cases save it.

This year that player is Davis, the NBA's can't-miss version of Andrew Luck. But the Hornets don't need him. He's a want, a desire.

The Bobcats, on the other hand, and with almost desperate severity, need Davis. Not because they finished with the worst winning percentage in NBA history, but simply because no other player in the draft balances their roster like he would. No other player in the draft comes close to completing them.

http://espn.go.com/nba/draft2012/story/_/id/7996057/michael-jordan-needs-sell-hornets-michael-kidd-gilchrist

I disagree.. even Davis ( projected #1 pick overall ) is a project. At C or PF he's still undersized 6'10", 220 pounds, he is very young and you are definitely hopeing he grows and get's thicker too. His greatest assets are #1 his shot blocking, and #2 his athletism..

You don't spend a #1 overall for a shot blocker, and even mentioning his athletism in the second breath says the guy needs to develop his offense and doesn't have a mid range jumper to speak of.....

Dude is a power player in college but won't be able to rely on power in his undersized body in the NBA. He is definitely a project. TR to me seems to be the best balance of polish, NBA Body Type, and potential... But since in the NBA one player can make your team, it's understandable how great athletism and potential seems to be weighted so highly.

You act like he's not going to be able to bulk up once he hits the pros. As a matter of fact, I just saw a Slam Magazine cover (with Davis on it), and it looks like he has put on more muscle since his last game at UK. He's not going to stay at 220.

He'll be fine in the NBA. He hasn't even scratched the surface as far as his potential goes. He's a guy who's going to be an elite rebounder, amazing shotblocker, and has more offensive potential than what people give him credit for. Like I was saying in an earlier post, I'd be shocked if he averages anything less than 18/11/3.5 as a ROOKIE. There's a good reason why many people consider him to be the best prospect to come along since Lebron. The KG comparisons are not far-fetched, IMO.

He'll be fine in the NBA. He hasn't even scratched the surface as far as his potential goes. He's a guy who's going to be an elite rebounder, amazing shotblocker, and has more offensive potential than what people give him credit for. Like I was saying in an earlier post, I'd be shocked if he averages anything less than 18/11/3.5 as a ROOKIE. There's a good reason why many people consider him to be the best prospect to come along since Lebron. The KG comparisons are not far-fetched, IMO.

Like I said earlier, I don't think he's used to his body yet. He had such a late growth spurt, that he still seems a little shocked at how big he is - at least on offense. I've seen the guy score with his left and right hand on consecutive possessions. That's enough for me to know that he's going to be ok on offense. To me, he's really not that different than Patrick Ewing at 19. Ewing was nothing but arms, legs, and a raw offensive game at that point. He developed a very polished offensive game over time - though his knees went bad and he lost that insane athleticism.

Seriously, raise your hand if you watched Patrick Ewing play in college.

Edited by Lombardi's_kid_brother

Davis will be.

I seem to be higher on MKG than most' date=' but I think he would either be a starter or a 6th man on 20+ teams.[/quote']

Davis has a tissue paper soft base and the NBA is unkind to players with that problem. He'll improve over time but I doubt he'll be a force immediately.

As for MKG I have a huge problem with wings that can't shoot. The best SF are James, Durant, and Melo. All of the best SFs not only can shoot but they have a huge variety of shots and can handle the very well.

You act like he's not going to be able to bulk up once he hits the pros. As a matter of fact, I just saw a Slam Magazine cover (with Davis on it), and it looks like he has put on more muscle since his last game at UK. He's not going to stay at 220.

No that's not what I'm saying at all. I'm saying he's a project. That you are counting on him getting bigger and stronger and keeping or even improving his athletism. He's a very young kid with only one year of college. LKB was suggeting he was a finished product, all I'm saying is he's a project. We don't know if he will be a kwami brown type of project or a Kobe Bryant type project. Obviously there are a lot of smart people thinking he'll be the latter. But a project non the less.

He hasn't even scratched the surface as far as his potential goes.

Yes that's what I've read too.

There's a good reason why many people consider him to be the best prospect to come along since Lebron. The KG comparisons are not far-fetched, IMO.

You think KG is better than Lebron?

No that's not what I'm saying at all. I'm saying he's a project. That you are counting on him getting bigger and stronger and keeping or even improving his athletism. He's a very young kid with only one year of college. LKB was suggeting he was a finished product, all I'm saying is he's a project. We don't know if he will be a kwami brown type of project or a Kobe Bryant type project. Obviously there are a lot of smart people thinking he'll be the latter. But a project non the less.

Yes that's what I've read too.

You think KG is better than Lebron?

Where'd I suggest that KG was better than Lebron? Read.

Also, I don't think LKB was suggesting he is a finished product. NO ONE in entering the NBA is a finished product. Shoot, there are 10 year vets in the league who aren't finished products. There's a big difference between being a RAW project (Drummond) and a prospect who has areas to improve in (Davis).