Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

The last Reebok I ever had was Iverson's sick black and gold fold over/wraps thing. Reebok sucks but those were sick shoes. For the marketing Iversom broke out a new move where he did like a 360 spin with a behind the back dribble at the same time. Everyone was trying to do it. I wanna say '98. Good times.

But yeah, I think that was the pinnacle of Reebok's existence.

Edited by G.A.C.O.L.B.

The last Reebok I ever had was Iverson's sick black and gold fold over/wraps thing. Reebok sucks but those were sick shoes. For the marketing Iversom broke out a new move where he did like a 360 spin with a behind the back dribble at the same time. Everyone was trying to do it. I wanna say '98. Good times.

But yeah, I think that was the pinnacle of Reebok's existence.

:yes:

Well Jared Sullinger had 40 points and 13 rebounds (7 offensive) tonight. He's incredible. If Cleveland keeps sucking and ends up with the first overall pick, J.J. Hickson or no, I smell a Sullinger selection.

Also, Kyrie Irving is definitely not going first overall now. He might not even come out. Apparently he's really damaged the ligaments in his foot and his season is most likely over. He flashed enough to still be a top 5 pick if he comes out and checks out medically, but I think Barnes, Jones, Jones, and Sullinger will pass him as they start to heat up over the course of the season. This looks like a year where you want a top 5 choice and would be disappointed in getting the sixth. For us, we'll probably need to finish top four so we can get one of those four forwards I mentioned.

Taken from a poster on another Wizards board:

As far as I'm concerned this draft will feature a sure thing.

Kenneth Faried

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Ken ... 325/stats/

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/pr ... erId=37289

Faired has an even more impressive set of college achievements than Millsap had. This season he put up good numbers against Ohio State (better than Sullinger). He destroyed Florida. He has posted back-to-back 20 rebound games. Last season he fared well against Kentucky and IIRC Kansas.

Through his first 9 games his pace-adjusted per 40 minute averages are 23.6 points, 18.1 rebounds, 1.1 assists, 3.4 steals, 2.8 blocks. His PER is 46.8. Faired is shooting 64 percent FG.

This guy is destined to be another Blair or Millsap or Wesley Matthews. I've looked at college numbers over several seasons and known they would be good. NBA starter and someone Washington should draft is what I thought about each of them and Danny Granger. Faired is a special talent.

Wouldn't mind looking at this guy as a non lotto pick, similar to how we got Booker and Seraphin. I like Trevor but I'm all for stock piling big men. This guy isn't a physical beast but his numbers don't lie.

Sounds like somebody we could really use.

This team needs to stop drafting based on potential. Ernie always makes the risky pick. Be it choosing a Euro big like Pecherov who can stretch the floor, a raw as hell McGee, super talented Young who had a really low b-ball IQ, be it Seraphin who can't communicate in English and has only been playing for ball for a few years.

His trades save for the Butler for Kwame trade have been the same way. It's about time they started picking guys who might not have the highest ceiling but have traits that can immediately boost the team. I think Booker is the type of a player but his size is a huge problem. I still believe that at some point he will have to develop an outside game and become a decent offensive threat that he can be used as a rugged SF rather than an undersized PF.

http://dc.sbnation.com/washington-wizards/2010/11/15/1815813/john-wall-washington-wizards-foot-injury

The nicks and bruises continue for Washington Wizards' rookie standout John Wall. This season, Wall has dealt with a left foot injury, ankle injuries, knee injuries and even a thumb sprain. Now, you can add another injury to the list: right knee pain.

Wall missed practice on Monday, and coach Flip Saunders said his status for Tuesday's showdown with the Los Angeles Lakers is up in the air. In fact, Saunders described it as "very questionable," which is something I really haven't heard a coach say about a player before.

How did the injury happen? Per Sean Fagan of Bullets Forever, Saunders said it has to do with his other injuries:

Wall's injuries are opposite from where he suffered his original injuries. Saunders described them as "compensation" injuries

That's an indictment on the Wizards' training staff, is it not? Isn't in their job to ensure the players don't overcompensate and suffer an injury elsewhere?

why exactly is our training staff still employed?

A posted on another Wizards board pointed out that the current doctor for Wall and Arenas is the same guy who ****ed up Grant Hill's knees and told him that his condition is hopeless. Hill came out and criticized him big time yet this moron is allowed to perform on our current franchise player and our ex franchise player.

Ex players have numerous times stated how the current training and medical staff employed by this franchise misdiagnosed and performed the wrong procedures on them. From my understanding, this team does not have a proper medical staff of its own. The players are sent to regular physicians who treat common people and not multi-million dollar athletes.

I remember reading Ted's 101 list for the Wizards and I HATED it. Urinal cakes are pretty important but the health and the state of the training program isn't.

EDIT: The doctors name is Mark Myerson.Here is what Grant Hill had to say about him:

"(Myerson) is putting it out there that he was the one who got Grant Hill back, and we all know that wasn't the case," Hill said with a smirk. "I wasted my time with him." Hill ultimately left Myerson's care and had a more involved procedure performed in 2003 by James Nunley at the Duke Medical Center in North Carolina.

Really comforting to know that this is the guy Ted trusts for medical issues.

Edited by No Excuses

Click on the link to read the rest.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/12/13/AR2010121305936.html

Nick Young hoping for another big game against the Lakers

Nick Young's pirouette layup against the Los Angeles Lakers last week made his hometown fans gasp in awe and dominated postgame highlight shows. The beautiful, acrobatic play could've easily been dismissed as luck or a testament to his athletic gifts, but in many ways, it also symbolized Young's turnaround in his fourth season with the Washington Wizards.

Before he made a 360-degree shot around Lamar Odom, Young had to determine that the best way to split Kobe Bryant and Pau Gasol was to first use a Hilton Armstrong screen, then his speed. When he spotted Odom alone under the basket, he quickly decided that a spin move was the best way to avoid him. And, finally, Young needed deep concentration to softly bank the shot off the glass.

"I've been practicing that for a while," the usually playful Young said with a grin after scoring a season-high 30 points at Staples Center. He added that he "had that game that you practice by yourself, in the gym, with nobody around."

The Wizards (6-16) will likely need more of that spectacular version of Young as they host the two-time defending champion Lakers on Tuesday at Verizon Center. They could possibly be without their three top scorers, with Andray Blatche out because of swelling in his left knee, John Wall "very questionable" with soreness in his right knee and Gilbert Arenas probable after missing practice on Monday with what the team has referred to as "general soreness."

This is not an ideal situation for a team that is on a season-high four-game losing streak. "You think?" Coach Flip Saunders said, half-jokingly, about the injuries. "I guess that's been more the norm this season than it's been abnormal. You go with what you have. It gives guys opportunities to step up and show what they have, show what they can do."

:yes:

That's it. I think his first shoe was the crossover. And then this came out for his second shoe. That was before And 1 mixtapes. It was huge. I probably spent a few hours trying to perfect it. Of course you'd have to be absolutely retarded to try to use that move in a game.

Thanks for posting :)

---------- Post added December-14th-2010 at 02:53 AM ----------

I just wrote Ted a rather lengthy email about the medical staff. I'll let you all know if he replies with anything significant.

man that is just depressing to read

---------- Post added December-14th-2010 at 11:43 AM ----------

and Wall is out for tonights game against the Lakers

http://twitter.com/craigstouffer/status/14720118797901824

Rt knee tendonitis will keep John Wall out vs. #lakers . Flip said he didn't think Blatche will go. Arenas still probable. #wizards

8 minutes ago via HootSuite

Retweeted by 1 person

craigstouffer

Craig Stouffer

It just baffles my mind that a pro sports franchise does not have its own special hired medical staff. I mean how stupid is it to send your multi million dollar investments to be treated by regular physicians? Especially a physician who apparently isn't well respected in the NBA circles. Reading Grant Hill talk about Wall's doctor makes me cringe.

John Hopkins is an hour away with some of the best medical facilities in the entire nation. Yet our players are getting absolutely third rate treatment.

The most pathetic indictment of our training staff is when Gilbert returned from his first knee surgery it was Jason freaking Kidd who told him to get a 2nd opinion. Kidd told Arenas that Arenas didn't play like he normally does and that his knee looks messed up.

Perhaps if Kidd had never warned Gilbert, he would have continued to play on those knees and possibly damaged them to the point that he could never play again.

Edited by No Excuses

Harrison Barnes had a nice game the other night. 19 points, 10 rebounds, 7/16 from the floor, 3/8 on 3s, 2/5 from the line. His shot is starting to fall. He could stand to improve in a couple of areas, but I think this is a sign of things to come. I'm crossing my fingers hoping we get him. He'd be perfect for us.

**** :(

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/wizardsinsider/2010/12/john-wall-andray-blatche-out-a.html

Wall has been dealing with tendinitis since summer league, and Saunders added that the problem might not go away. "If every guy in our league sat out a week because of tendinitis, we might have to forfeit some games, because everybody has some kind of tendinitis, just the way they are," he said. "I don't think, with his situation, that he's ever going to be painfree from that, so what we're going to do is monitor him.

"Some situations, we have to make sure we get it right," Saunders said. "We get him healthy, get him where it's manageable where he can play and play at the high level he needs to play at. No question, when he's not physically right, he can't play at the same level. If can't play at the same intensity, same enthusiasm and aggressiveness, then he's not the player that John Wall is. "

So I wrote Ted last night. About the medical staff. He wrote me back this morning. I hope you don't mind Vishal but I bit some of your material.

Mr. Leonsis,

I'm going to keep this short and bitter. What the hell is up with our medical staff? Us hardcore fans have been complaining about them for years. I appreciated your 101 list of stuff we hate that you released, but it's a bit dumbfounding that urinal cakes are featured and a proper medical staff isn't. Here is what Grant Hill had to say about Dr. Myerson a few years:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/2004-12-23-notes_x.htm

We have a true franchise player in John Wall. Our former franchise player is coming back from numerous injuries and surgeries (puzzling that it took more than one huh?) and this is who we have watching over them. John Wall didn't just become injury prone. He doesn't have the skills of Isiah and the feet of Walton. So it's either the shoes or the repeat suspect, the medical staff.

Please, I beg you, us Wizards fans beg you, get a proper medical staff in there. We are absolutely in love with John Wall. It's a shame that we aren't seeing him and it will be devastating if he never lives up to his potential because of piss poor medical/training care. I know a top notch medical staff is expensive but imagine what a missing Wall does to the bottom line.

Still love you,

Colin

And his response:

The shoes. He isnt injured--no structural damage-- he aches.

Ted

So I wrote Ted last night. About the medical staff. He wrote me back this morning. I hope you don't mind Vishal but I bit some of your material.

And his response:

I don't get it. I'm fully behind the theory that these Zig tech shoes or w.e the **** they are called are causing Wall problems.

But this medical staff has been misdiagnosing and botching surgeries for YEARS!!! Does Ted need to see the quotations from ex Wizards/Bullets players???

I don't understand how the ownership or the front office doesn't recognize this. Abe didn't, Ted doesn't, Ernie doesn't. MJ did but we all know how that ended.

I don't know. I'm kinda thinking him not defending the medical staff might be a good thing. That he knows.

One thing that I know is that Ted isn't blinded by loyalty. Abe was loyal to a fault, which is why some of the idiots who were performing medical operations under him were the same people who were performing medical operations for this team decades ago.

Not only the medical staff, but the training staff as well. Consult with the Phoenix Suns and ask what type of personnel or from what company they get their trainers and doctors. If Ted is serious about building a powerhouse, the first thing he needs to do is provide this team with grade A quality treatment. For ****s sake, Johns Hopkins is right up the alley.

Edited by No Excuses

Thinking some more about this, is it just me or is it pretty ****ing lame that Wall has missed half of the games because "he aches"? I mean I've heard multiple times now that "Wall feels DISCOMFORT in his foot so he's going to sit tonight." Either he's weak, we're *******, or we're playing for lottery balls.

My buiddy Gaitor Bait was offering $70 tickets for tonight's game. I would be ****ing livid if I dropped the cash just to see us get destroyed and watch Hinrich play 40 minutes.

And back to my email, you think Ted was mocking me with the "The shoes" opening? I've been over my experience with shoes so I know it's a possibility. I'm about to write him back so I'm trying to think how to come at this. And if you love the team, I suggest you write him about the medical staff as well.