Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

You know, I'm starting to lean toward Wall/Arenas not working out. I'm just feeling (at this moment) that Arenas is just such a dominant figure on offense, when he's on the court the offense tends to filter through him and not through Wall like it should. It's not because Gilbert is a bad guy or a bad player. I just think it's a bad mix of talent and style. And I actually think Arenas tries so hard for it not to be like that, that his game suffers. But it still happens and Wall's game (and development) suffers as well.

I don't know. That's just how I've been feeling these last couple of games.

We haven't really seen how the backcourt can do when completely healthy. Wall is finally coming to full health. The Wall-Arenas-Young lineup was killing it in the 2nd quarter. Then dumbarse Flip decides to start the third with Wall-Hinrich-Gee and ran that lineup for 10 minutes straight.

It's hard to build consistency with each other when the lineups are all sorts of stupid. I like what Flip has done in terms of player development but in terms of coaching and minute management, he has me craving for Eddie Jordan who was a total moron himself. But at least under EJ we had a top 5 NBA offense. With Flip we stink on offense and are horrific on defense.

I'm eagerly waiting for head coach Sam Cassell to take place. Flip can take his jumpshot whoring offensive schemes back to Minnesota.

Edited by No Excuses

Don't get me wrong about Gilbert. This isn't a Blatche situation with me. I love Gilbert. Even after the last couple of demoralizing, atrocious seasons I've never hated Gilbert. Disappointed in him and mad at him? Sure. But he was the hero to us younger Wiz fans who have known **** for our entire lives (Skins fans ain't got nothing on us.) I'll always love Gilbert. But Wall is the future. And right now (I can't stress the right now enough) I'm just not seeing him and Wall working out.

I think Hinrich gets that type of burn because while he's clearly a lesser player, I think his style meshes with Wall's much better than Gilbert's does. But you're right, he is nothing more than a 20 mpg backup at this point. And he gets absolutely abused on defense.

So with that said, while I haven't been a big fan in the past, I think that NY should be starting opposite of Wall. He is clearly at a level we haven't seen from him before. Both offensively and defensively. I believe he's in the final year of his rookie deal. Give him the spot at SG, see how he handles it. I'd hate to see flashes this year, let him go in the offseason and watch him become an effective starter for another team.

I also don't see Flip being here next year. I'm hoping Lebron gets Spoelstra fired in Miami.

Love your sig too. I forgot about that one :)

haven't posted in any Wizards forums any time lately...so I wanted to stop by and chime in on my opinion of this year so far.

FLIP IS AWFUL!!!!!

he is the main problem with our team so far this year....we should have about 6 or 7 more wins than we do. I really don't understand why a rebuilding team (us) wouldn't be giving Trevor Booker at least 30 minutes a night. This kid needs minutes! Alanzo Gee.....I like his game, but it doesn't fit in with the starting lineup. We need 2s and 3s who can shoot/score to play along side John Wall. With what we've got, this is how I'd like to see our lineup once Josh Howard somes back:

starters

Wall

Young

Thorton

Blatche

McGee

Gil

Hinrich

Howard

Booker

Yi/Martin/Gee

Gil needs to run the point, and Wall obviously needs to be the starter at point. I really hate how Captain Kirk fits in with this team. I'd rather have Gil/Wall as my point guards, but I hate seeing Kirk play the 2 ( I just don't think he is a good enough scorer to play that role). I like Howard coming off the bench to be Gil's main scorer with the "2nd team" and I'd like to see Booker get minutes. I'm a big fan of Martin, but unfortunately there aren't enough minutes to go around with all the other guys, so he will have to settle with spot minutes and share time with Yi and Gee as the 10th man in the rotation.

Wizards are showing that all world defense again, giving up 69pts in the first half

I expect to the wizards to lose games, but the effort on defense is just embarrassing at times

The problem tonight is Yi.

He's getting destroyed.

And a message to Flip: Will you please lose the zone?

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

Wizards are showing that all world defense again, giving up 69pts in the first half

I expect to the wizards to lose games, but the effort on defense is just embarrassing at times

I know we're losing by double digits and we gave up 69 points and everything, but I'm not embarrassed tonight. I feel like we've represented ourselves pretty well considering who we're playing on the road.

---------- Post added December-8th-2010 at 12:52 AM ----------

And question: What exactly are we missing with Blatche out?

This game epitomizes why Blatche is going nowhere. Yi is as poor an NBA player as I've ever seen.

He literally does nothing well, except hit the occasional jump shot.

Knew Nick would have a good game in front of family and friends. He is quite literally the only reason this game isn't a 30 point blowout at this point.

Flip's rotations have again been god-awful, and the zone he insists on not only does nothing to prevent the wide open 3, as it should, it also allows us to get completely dominated inside.

Come on dude seriously? Are you watching Yi on defense? He makes Blatche look like prime Tim Duncan.

Yi is the worst big man I have ever seen. He is worse than Kwame and he is worse than Ruffin. His minutes should be going to Booker and Seraphin.

We were in this game with Booker at PF and then dumbarse Flip subs Yi back in and the Lakers continue to **** on him on every possession. This is a good game to play Booker, he was doing well against Odom at PF.

Oh and do you all see what I'm saying about Gil taking Wall out of the game? That Gil is just too much of a dominant figure on offense. I don't know. Maybe it's just me. But I want the ball in John Wall's hands on every single possession if possible. It's like every other or every third possession Gil brings it up court and Wall just stands out on the wing and does nothing. I hate that.

I know we're losing by double digits and we gave up 69 points and everything, but I'm not embarrassed tonight. I feel like we've represented ourselves pretty well considering who we're playing on the road.

---------- Post added December-8th-2010 at 12:52 AM ----------

According to posters on another site, Yi's per is -20 something.

He's not rebounding nor is he giving you anything on the offensive end.

I know you hate Blatche but come on now....:)

Come on dude seriously? Are you watching Yi on defense? He makes Blatche look like prime Tim Duncan.

Yi is the worst big man I have ever seen. He is worse than Kwame and he is worse than Ruffin. His minutes should be going to Booker and Seraphin.

We were in this game with Booker at PF and then dumbarse Flip subs Yi back in and the Lakers continue to **** on him on every possession. This is a good game to play Booker, he was doing well against Odom at PF.

Spot on. Great post.

Booker is a perfect matchup for Odom. If we play man with a small lineup (Thornton on Artest, Young on Kobe) I guarantee this game is much, much closer.

I'm not defending Yi. He's not a starter. Period. But on defense I think Booker does more than Blatche. And on offense I don't see us missing Blatche.

Oh and do you all see what I'm saying about Gil taking Wall out of the game? That Gil is just too much of a dominant figure on offense. I don't know. Maybe it's just me. But I want the ball in John Wall's hands on every single possession if possible. It's like every other or every third possession Gil brings it up court and Wall just stands out on the wing and does nothing. I hate that.

I do agree with you somewhat about the Gil/Wall situation except for one key difference: I want the ball in Gilbert Arenas' hands on every possession (or at least a lot of them).

The zone DOES NOT WORK IN THE NBA, except on spot possessions to switch it up and give the opposing team a different look.

I was a Flip defender for a long time, but it's getting hard for me to make excuses for his poor rotations and defensive assignments.

You have to be blind not to see the negative effect Yi is having on the court. He is literally a one man suck machine out there tonight.

Flip Saunders needs to get the **** out. What are you rebuilding when you don't even play the future (Seraphin and Booker). Yi is such a ****ing loser.

I'm sick of Flip.

I'm sick of his calling players out publicly but taking no responsibility for anything.

I'm sick of his constant references to Kevin Garnett.

I'm sick of his insistence on playing zone and complaining when his team doesn't rebound.

I'm sick of his strange infatuation with Kirk Hinrich.