Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

J.Michael is pretty plugged in...if he says Oubre is a no-go, then he'll be here.  Can't undervalue how good he is defensively. 

I'm OK with giving up the 2017 1st, just as long as it's combined with either of Nicholson/Burke...preferably both. 

And here we go....

Washington feels it's a top heavy team. They rely a lot on their starters. John Wall, Bradley Beal, certainly those two. Otto Porter has had a really good year for them.

They got to improve their bench. They feel that if there's a wing player that they can get out in the trade market, Lou Williams with the Lakers they have interest in, Bojan Bogdanovic with the Nets. Washington has shown the inclination to give up a future draft pick, potentially even in this draft to get a veteran who may even turn out to be a rental for them.

They see an opportunity here. This team has played really well. They struggled early, and now have been on a tremendous run. They want to capitalize on it. They want to get better. They’re a dangerous team. A lot of teams in the East look at Washington and don’t want to see them in the postseason.

Link

Edited by RonArtest15

15 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

What am I missing with Bogdonavich?  His numbers aren't particularly good and as he's a SF, he would take minutes from Kelly.  He's also an expiring.  At least with Lou Williams you get another season of control.

Gives you more flexibility because he can play the 2/3/4 with the starters at times?

Edited by TryTheBeal!
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Gives you more flexibility because he can play the 3/4 with the starters at times?

I guess, but I would rather give minutes to Oubre in the small line ups and move Otto to PF.

I would imagine that if we're dealing for Bojan, it can't include the first round pick right?  Because he doesn't actually look like an upgrade.  He's got both a negative ORPM and DRPM to put him 85th out of 100 on ESPN's SG RPM rankings.  For some reason they have him as a SG.  His Ortg of 106 is pretty pedestrian for a 27 year old off ball shooter.  His 115 DRtg is pretty terrible.  His career PER is a lousy 11.7 and his 13.1 PER this season is below average.

He's a good shooter, but he feels like a one trick pony who wouldn't truly upgrade our rotation because Tomas and Kelly aren't really the problems, Burke is.  I don't think Tomas is ready to move to PG either, because if he was, Trey Burke probably wouldn't be playing.  So dealing for Bogdonavich probably takes minutes from Kelly and Tomas and leaves Burke out there.  And it has to be noted that he's a lousy defender who would be a serious downgrade from Tomas or Kelly on that side of the court.

And again, there is the team control issue.  Giving up a first for an expiring feels like a terrible return when you're in the situation of needing rookie contracts to fill out a top heavy roster.

If we can get him without giving up a first, then sign me up.  But then I'm not sure what Brooklyn's incentive would be.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

Bogs is a huge 2guard that can also play the 3. He's a threat from deep when his feet are set. And he has a scorers mentality that isn't afraid to shoot. His size alone will be substantial on defense. 

Yeah his shooting splits and charts look good, although I've read that he's very streaky.  Looks like he's got some creative scoring ability and can get to the rim.  His defense would be an issue though.  And I don't love that he'd probably take Sato off the court because I don't think Sato is ready to play lead guard to a playoff bench.  We'd still be stuck with Burke running the show.  And Sato has somehow managed to have a positive DRPM playing uneven minutes for a second line that's been in flux most of the year, and that has been generally hopeless on defense.  Sato is a quality defender.

But I am more on board with trading for Bogs if he can play SG like you say.  That would give us the option of playing him at the 2, 3, and 4 and basically have him be the team's spare man.  Having Sato and McClellan as our only back up SGs has been an untenable situation all year.  We have zero Beal injury insurance.  And we can't totally trust Kelly with big minutes in a playoff series either.  We've needed a more experienced wing on the bench all season.

But again, two issues I keep coming back to are team control and the need for a good back up PG.  Bogs is an expiring, would we be able to extend him to a reasonable deal this summer?  And if we are to give up a first, shouldn't it be for someone who can play back up PG?  I don't like the idea of giving up a first for Lou Williams, but he can play PG and keep Burke off the floor.

Again, I'm not convinced that Burke is all that terrible...just a guy that needs dynamic players on the floor with him.  His performance has improved noticeably since he hasn't been handcuffed to Marcus (ugh) Thorton.  

This lineup could really do some damage:

G: Burke/Lou/Sato

F: Bojan/KOJ/Smith

C: Mahinmi/Smith

IOW, I think EG is gonna try and get both of em and take a swing at a Finals appearance this year.  Again, I don't necessarily agree with it, but it's gonna be a fun ride!

Edited by TryTheBeal!

The deal only makes sense if bogs takes Burke's place. The problem with Burke is that he has poor defense, and worse court vision. He can certainly handle the ball, something I expected more out of Sato, but when he gets to the baseline it's all over. 

Bogdonavic has always been a shooting guard. He's just a huge sg, similar to how joe Johnson is a huge sg. ( he's 6'8" btw). Any guy we bring in should be able to come in and spot up for John wall threes for the final 4 minutes of the 1st and 3rd, while being able to help the bench for some minutes without John. Bogs is cagey. He's got some weird tricks in the paint. I really like his game. Don't know much about his defense, admittedly.

I agree bringing in a guy like Morris would take minutes away from oubre at the 3: something that isn't ideal. But I think Kelly is going to be earning his minutes down the stretch guarding the 1and 2 guards. Meaning, his position may or may not matter. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

IOW, I think EG is gonna try and get both of em and take a swing at a Finals appearance this year.  Again, I don't necessarily agree with it, but it's gonna be a fun ride!

I don't know how you get both Bogdanovich and Williams though.  You can't trade consecutive future firsts.  It's going to take a first to get Lou Williams unfortunately.  So we'd have to get Bogs without using one, and I am totally against trading Sato or Oubre for either one of them.  Those two are the future core of our bench.

Nicholson has negative trade value at this point, so we'd actually have to sweeten deals that include him.  Burke's trade value might be neutral since he's a young PG who is a pending RFA.  Jason Smith is at least neutral value, and perhaps him and a second could be enough to swing Bogs.  But that would wound my soul and I would never forgive Ernie or Bogs for the trade.

In all seriousness though, trading Jason Smith is risky when we're an Ian Mahinmi setback away from needing him again.  It's nice to actually have acceptable big man depth, and Jason Smith does his job well, for cheap, and for an extra year of remaining team control.  And I think he's a good locker room guy that the rest of the team likes.

There is no doubt that swinging both Lou and Bogs would massively improve the bench so long as we're able to keep Oubre and Sato.  They'd be able to score a ton of points and you could have a good nine man playoff rotation of those two plus Mahinmi and Oubre.  And then if Ernie could extend Bogs this summer on a reasonable long term deal, then you've fixed a lot of the long term issues with the bench.  If Ernie managed to pull all of that off, I'd tip my cap to him because that is going to be extremely hard to do.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

Bogdonavic has always been a shooting guard. He's just a huge sg, similar to how joe Johnson is a huge sg. ( he's 6'8" btw). Any guy we bring in should be able to come in and spot up for John wall threes for the final 4 minutes of the 1st and 3rd, while being able to help the bench for some minutes without John. Bogs is cagey. He's got some weird tricks in the paint. I really like his game. Don't know much about his defense, admittedly.

This makes me a lot more positive about trading for him.  I like the idea of having him at SG.  A big shooter at that spot is appealing.  And I really like the idea of having him, Sato, and Oubre as a second line because of all of the size and length that provides.

And you are right that we would have flexibility with him because of Oubre's ability to guard 1s and 2s.

Alright, you've sold me on his game.  Now it's just a matter of cost.  I don't like giving up the first rounder for an expiring.  But if we can get him for Trey Burke or Jason Smith and perhaps a second, then I'm on board.

I wouldn't reunite the Morris brothers - something tells me that they need to be apart from each other to get the most out of themselves on and off the court.

Trading for Lou is a case of trading high - compare his shooting %s this year to the rest of his career and you see that he may be bound for a regression if he were moved out of his current situation. If we were to trade a 1st for him and the deal does not include Nicholson, I would want to get Nance, Black or someone else.

The optimal thing to do at the end of the day is to dive into the current FA pool and those who will get bought out post trade deadline. You would think that guys like Mario Chalmers, Carl Landry and Dorell Wright can add more to this bench that the Sheldon McLellans and the Ochefus of the world

I don't want Markeef's brother. Its going to disrupt our team chemistry which might be the best thing we have going for us.

I don't like giving up a 1st round pick. We aren't going to win a title this year anyway. I want to make a trade but I don't want to sacrifice the future more than we already have in the past.

• Like 1