Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I do think Beal played at an AS level but he, more than anyone else, was hurt by the slow start.  If we had been playing well out of the gate, Beal would have made the team.

Also, if the game was held at the end of the season instead of the middle, I bet Beal makes it over guys like DeRozan and Kemba Walker.  Those two got in because their teams started fast.

Beal is also better than both Kevin Love and Paul Millsap IMO, but he's not getting in over them because of his position.  The roster is already guard heavy and it needs a few bigs.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

People have short memories.  The reason Brooks didn't win multiple rings in OKC was bad ownership and bad luck with injuries.  To recap:

[edit]

Harden may not have even been an AS yet, but the potential was clearly there, and Durant & Westbrooke may not've been MVP caliber yet, but they were AS-starter caliber. But yep you're right, those things aren't really Brooks' fault. However I think he may be at fault for them losing that series to Dallas in 2011.

IIRC the big complaint about Brooks was the offense was too ISO and not enough actual team ball but I think that had more to do with guys like Harden and Westrook who have shown they are ball dominant guards even when playing for other coaches.

Brooks finally has a pure PG in Wall and its showing.

Wizards 4th on ESPN power rankings. 

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18581005/nba-power-rankings-marc-stein-week-15-rankings

I was just looking at the schedule and it's good the team is finally starting to win on the road. 12 of 18 games in march are on the road.  Seems we had a home heavy schedule early on.  March will determine much. 

4 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

IIRC the big complaint about Brooks was the offense was too ISO and not enough actual team ball but I think that had more to do with guys like Harden and Westrook who have shown they are ball dominant guards even when playing for other coaches.

Brooks finally has a pure PG in Wall and its showing.

Brooks also fell in love with Kendrick Perkins for some unknown reason.  I thought he may have been starting an affair with Marcus Thornton, but thankfully that did not amount to much.  Seeing him reduce Thornton's role helped solidify Brooks in my eyes.

2 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

Brooks also fell in love with Kendrick Perkins for some unknown reason.  I thought he may have been starting an affair with Marcus Thornton, but thankfully that did not amount to much.  Seeing him reduce Thornton's role helped solidify Brooks in my eyes.

Until this moment I had completely erased Kendrick Perkins from memory.  Weird.   

5 hours ago, Destino said:

I like it.  Assuming no catastrophic injuries, those should be the four conference final teams.

If Kevin Love's back remains an issue, and they don't make some kind of move to strengthen their bench, Cleveland will not be invincible in the postseason.  They'd probably still beat a full strength Wizards team because LeBron would be the best player in the series.  But it would be tough.  We could push them to seven.  Hell we could beat them.

But there is also a good chance we're worn down too by the time the season ends.  Like you said, brutal March and April that will ultimately define our season.  We have got to pray the bench steps up by then because it's a lot to ask our starters to keep playing the way they have.  The last time a team was so reliant on holistic contributions from their starting five was Indy in '13/'14 and they were worn down by the postseason and they almost lost to us.

2 hours ago, Skin'emAlive said:

So what came of Larry Sanders? I heard from you all that he came in for a workout, but haven't really heard anything else. We need to find a way to spell our starters more.

Lack of interest suggests he's either not impressing in workouts or asking for too much money.  I think the former is more likely.  

1 minute ago, Skin'emAlive said:

Morris has been having a lowkey breakout year. His 3pt% is at a career high, his rpg is at a career high, and his ft% is at a career high. Best trade Ernie has ever made.

Don't speak too soon.  Keef is volatile.  He's behaved well for the most part, but you can't trust him not to get in trouble or cause conflict in the future.

10 minutes ago, Destino said:

Lack of interest suggests he's either not impressing in workouts or asking for too much money.  I think the former is more likely.  

It's tough for him right now because teams have had their rosters set for months and are in the middle of the season.  But if someone gets hurt, he could get his shot.  Or if we get bad news about Mahinmi's return, that could open the door for him.

I really like our chances right now of being competitive in the East for the rest of the season.  Nobody is unbeatable as of now.  I've been a life long Carmelo hater and don't think a team will ever win anything with him as the star player.  With that being said, I sure as hell hope he doesn't go to the Cavs or Celts because he would really improve those teams.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Destino said:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18581005/nba-power-rankings-marc-stein-week-15-rankings

I was just looking at the schedule and it's good the team is finally starting to win on the road. 12 of 18 games in march are on the road.  Seems we had a home heavy schedule early on.  March will determine much. 

The other big complaint with Brooks at OKC was that he didn't stagger his substitutions well, having both Durant and Westbrook on the bench at the same time for long periods.  He definitely learned from that and he minimizes the time that you see Beal and Wall both on the bench at the same time. 

I was luke warm on his hire, but knew that he would be an improvement over Randy.  However, he's done much better than I thought and it looks like he's learned a lot from his OKC days.  I'm much happier that he is our coach and I think that he will end up being a better hire than Thibs for the Zards.

Lebron is just as much as an entitled baby as he's ever been. There is no way Melo goes to "help" out a super team without serious talent in return...unless there are some behind closed doors payments, which I'm almost positive will happen. It just can't be possible to have 4 max level players + Smith's contract and add another 25 mil coach killer without a real return. Yet, I'm sure we are going to hear that Cleveland traded 2 future 1sts, Smith, and Frye for Melo. You just won a championship, Lebron. Quit ****ing as if your team isn't already way over the cap because of you.

2 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Don't speak too soon.  Keef is volatile.  He's behaved well for the most part, but you can't trust him not to get in trouble or cause conflict in the future.

I agree with Skin'em, and we need to move on from waiting for Morris to blow up on us.  Dude was pissed how they did him and his brother, and he's been mostly professional since he's been here.  I'm really not worried about him going Rasheed or Artest on us.

• Like 2