Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Great finish that just didn't go our way.  

Oubre needs to stop gambling on defense so much, his leaping block attempt out of bounds allowed Harris to get up that soft shot and left only one wizard under the basket.  Could have easily given up two free throws.  He'll learn to pick his spots as he matures.

3 minutes ago, Destino said:

Great finish that just didn't go our way.  

Oubre needs to stop gambling on defense so much, his leaping block attempt out of bounds allowed Harris to get up that soft shot and left only one wizard under the basket.  Could have easily given up two free throws.  He'll learn to pick his spots as he matures.

he also tried to go for a spectacular putback dunk when a simple rebound was the smarter play.

gotta take the good with the bad with projects like him i suppose.  He's flashed some this year, hopefully next year we see some form of consistency

I'm guessing Gortat isn't in there during the crunch due to his poor DFG%.  I still think they could have used his length, but I understand the decision to have Oubre on the floor.  Gotta have your best defenders out there, and for as good as Gortat is at things like PnR, he really sucks defensively. 

Also...

John Wall ranked 10th in NBA’s Race to the MVP rankings

Both Otto and Oubre are right there for the rebound after the initial miss. Otto can only tip it and it goes right to Drummond. 

He doesnt tip it and Oubre comes down with it easily imo. Probably immediately fouled by Drummond, his 6th, and we got a good FT shooter going to the line. Just a tough break. 

Edited by STBonecrusher21

Surprised at the reaction Sidney Lowe got from Popovich.  Fine an assistant coach $250,000?  Absolutely absurd.  He should know better than to suggest something like that.

Watch the play again in real time and you can see that Courtney Lee wanted no part of that shot.  Spotted up in the corner, he could easily see every Wizard on the court.  He was just too scared to take a game winner and he was looking for someone else to blame.  He wanted Melo to take the shot and **** his pants when Melo passed it to him.

Edited by stevemcqueen1

7 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Surprised at the reaction Sidney Lowe got from Popovich.  Fine an assistant coach $250,000?  Absolutely absurd.  He should know better than to suggest something like that.

Watch the play again in real time and you can see that Courtney Lee wanted no part of that shot.  Spotted up in the corner, he could easily see every Wizard on the court.  He was just too scared to take a game winner and he was looking for someone else to blame.  He wanted Melo to take the shot and **** his pants when Melo passed it to him.

if the situation were reversed, we'd be raising hell about it

250k would be obviously excessive, but you can't let coaches get away with something like when he was clearly on the court.  If anything, the ref standing right next to him needs to be disciplined for not catching it

Edited by StillUnknown

http://www.nba.com/article/2017/01/20/mvp-ladder-week-11-giannis-antetokounmpo-rise-stardom?collection=mvp-ladder

Personally I'd put him ahead of Thomas and Antekoumpo.

Also an interesting quote from a scout reg. Otto Porter...

“He was a guy I couldn’t figure out at Georgetown, much like Jeff Green, because he didn’t dominate on a regular basis. He was plenty talented, but in that system, the way they played, you just weren’t sure it would translate. Give him credit, or give someone the credit for making sure he put in the work, because he’s finally looking like the guy who went off the (Draft) board (No. 3 overall in 2013). His confidence in his stroke from beyond the 3-point line makes all the difference this season. He’s not only feeling good from out there, he’s hunting his opportunities from deep. He gained the trust of John Wall, who is one of the best shot creators for his guys in the game, and that’s made a world of difference for Porter and really the Wizards. That was the one position that you looked at and said, ‘if they can find the right small forward to go along with Wall and [Bradley] Beal, they’re be dangerous.’ I think they’ve got a guy who’s going to be steady right now and continue to improve. It’s not easy being patient in this league, especially not with guys who have played a couple of seasons or more in college. Player development is crucial, I can’t stress that enough, and they’ve done a good job with him, a damn good job.”

They don't run Otto enough off the ball.  In fact they don't run enough action off the ball intending to generate an open shot.  The off the ball action is mostly to get a player the ball, they use dribble penetration to generate open shots.