Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Jorge CastilloVerified account

‏@jorgeccastillo

Wall on Oubre's 1st practice: "He did a lot of dunking early on but I bet you by Thursday he ain't going to be doing too much of that."

Lol, I love it. Oubre is full of energy and eagerness to prove himself.

I think, early on, his problem will be the opposite of Beal's and Otto's: patience. He's going to have to find ways to productively harness his energy and aggression to keep from boiling over or burning out.

I wouldn't be too sure about the dunking though. One of the things that jumped out at me from his Kansas cut ups was how much of a dunker he was. He is going to try and dunk on the entire league.

Blair losing 30 lbs is huge imo. He is going to get a decent chunk of minutes this season with Seraphin gone. Guy has some nice skills. He's crafty with the ball if anything. I dont mind Nene not touching a basketball. When you have injury prone players like Rose breaking his face in practice, i can understand one not wanting to put any part of his body in jeaopardy before the season started. That being said, it would have been nice if he atleast shot some free throws.

I'm feeling way too optimistic about this season. My expectations for the team were to make the ECF and give the Cavs a good series. But the disappointment of the Nats season has me feeling squirrelly. High expectations are dangerous for D.C. teams, and a devastating Wall injury in October would be par for the course for us.

• Like 1

I still can't believe that jerk openly admitted to doing nothing in the offseason. I understand some of you are fine with him resting his body. But how hard would he be exerting himself to work on SOMETHING? Free throws?

I also agree with Steve, he should be coming off the bench. With the emphasis Randy is placing on getting smaller and running more, he is the last player on the roster suited for that. Let him come in with the second unit, where he is higher than the fourth scoring option.

I'm feeling way too optimistic about this season. My expectations for the team were to make the ECF and give the Cavs a good series. But the disappointment of the Nats season has me feeling squirrelly. High expectations are dangerous for D.C. teams, and a devastating Wall injury in October would be par for the course for us.

Easy, bro.

He's like a 13 year vet. He's not learning anything new at this point. I'm not up in arms about him doing nothing this offseason because, realistically, the best case scenario from an offseason for him is to rest and try and slow the process of decline.

But I do think that it's telling of his mentality. He's just waiting for his contract to end to retire and doesn't really care about maintaining even a token appearance of loving the game any more.

This season is all about Beal. If he proves that he can be consistently as productive during the regularly season as he has been in the post season, things could be good. A top 4 finish. For a team that lacks shot creation Nene's continued decline and Pierces departure could be significant. But if Beal shoes up as a second star, a bunch of role players everywhere else could work perfectly.

http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/basketball-washington-wizards/talk/training-camp-day-1-wizards-set-sights-faster-tempo

Training camp Day 1: Wizards set sights on faster tempo

TOWSON, Md. -- Coach Randy Wittman isn't just giving lip service to small-ball and the Wizards playing at a faster tempo. Tuesday, during the first day of training camp at SECU Arena, he put the first building blocks in place and it left John Wall wide-eyed about the possibilities.

"It was totally different," said Wall, entering his sixth NBA season. "We do a lot more running because our offense has changed. We're getting more uptempo. You see all these little boxes out there. That's where we got to get to every time we get the ball. It's a lot more running. We're going to do a lot of it every day to get us into shape because we want to play at this speed and this pace, we got to get better."

On the floor there are boxes taped in white outside the three-point arc. There's a spot in the deep right corner for a backcourt shooter like Gary Neal when they go to three-guard lineups. There's one above the elbow where the stretch four, in this case Drew Gooden, is expected to run into. Then on the left side there's another for Bradley Beal to spot up. When defenses extend to cover, this is where Wall attacks the paint.

"I think we were  (16th in pace) last year and he wasn't excited," Wall said of Wittman who wants them to be elite in that area. "Probably top five the way we're trying to play."

Pace is defined as possessions per 48 minutes. The Wizards had 95.96. To crack the top five last season, they'd have to get up to 98.4 or higher. Golden State, which won the NBA championship, was first at 100.69.

img_2415.jpg

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/basketball-washington-wizards/talk/training-camp-day-2-offense-looks-perfect-fit-oubre

Training camp Day 2: Offense looks like perfect fit for Oubre

TOWSON, Md. -- Alan Anderson didn't practice with the Wizards for the second day in a row because of left ankle soreness, but the veteran has been taking time to mentor rookie Kelly Oubre and aid his transition to the NBA.

"He’s been on the sideline working on his rehab but he’s been in my ear saying the most out of everybody," said Oubre, who the Wizards traded up in the first round to acquire in June's draft. "Thank you to the O.G. for helping me get through."

Anderson, 32, is a small forward like Oubre but is a short-term option playing on a one-year deal. Oubre, who will compete with him for playing time, is the future.

Coach Randy Wittman's offense is changing rapidly, going to one-in (a big) and four out (perimeter players). The pace is so rapid that even John Wall has had to adjust to the speed of play. Oubre has played at point guard, shooting guard and small forward.

"A lot of high ball screens, a lot of pick-and-rolls," Oubre said. "It gives us free rein to pretty much fill in a spot and go play or push the ball when you get a rebound and go play. It’s kind of versatile."

Oubre shot a high percentage on three-point shot from the corners. He'd looked shaky when he played for the Wizards' summer league team in Las Vegas from long range, shooting well under 30%. 

"I can shoot," Oubre said. "I could shoot in summer league, too. I started working on it in the gym. It’s falling now in training camp. That’s always a plus."

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH