Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Outside of McNabb, nothing has changed

MonkFan8

Now, I didn't expect things to turn around immediately, but I really thought there would be some perceptible improvement in most facets, given that Zorn appeared to be clueless much of last year.

I don't mind losing, what I do mind is essentially seeing the exact same things that ruined our season last year popping up again.

Seriously, McNabb is a flat out upgrade over JC, but he can't do everything.

How is it possible that we still have no one that can return punts with any confidence?

Why does the running game look identical, with virtually no stretch runs we were told so much about?

Why does our redzone offense look the exact same as it did in both Gibbs 2.0 and Zorn? Ultra conservative, even if we got into the redzone on a series of pass plays.

How about the defense, complete with the 20 yard cushions, ineffective blitzes, and over pursuit on every screen play (the sign of bad coaching and dumb players)

Same lock room drama, which I can only imagine will increase following todays embarrassing loss.

There are so many more, but I just can't believe how much this resembles the same old stuff we've been watching for years now.

Well our defense is actually worse.

Hard to say at this point, but yeah, that argument could be made.

I hate when people say (as they often did with our D last year and early this season), "but they don't give up many points, who cares how many yards they let up!".

When the opposing team's offense keeps your offense on the field for 7+ minutes at a time, it doesn't matter how many points they get out of it, especially if you have the redzone offense that we do.

real talk. i was saying this all game. Mcnabb is the ONLY differnce from this years team and last years. Everything else is WORSE. give me blaches 4-3 back over this garbage defense any day of the week.

shanhan sucks as a coach too.

I actually think last years team is better than this years team.

Hard to say at this point, but yeah, that argument could be made.

Could be made? We have the worst defense in the league and just gave up 30 points to the Rams. This defense isn't a little worse, it's flat out horrible.

Better hope McNabb resigns if not... wow. Last years fan revolt will be a love parade compared to what is coming for dan dan.

BTW - Remember something. They fired at the media prior to this game. No anonymous sources.... remember that because the reports of this game are going to be BRUTAL.

Shanahan screwed this franchise for another half decade switching to the 3-4 and getting Mcnabb, which don't get me wrong I like Mcnabb, but

We'll be stuck rebuilding the defense for the next couple seasons, then maybe once we have an NFL caliber defense, we'll need a rookie QB.

Argh, I envy Rams fans

Full disclosure...I've been expecting 7 or so wins for this year and not much more. Even after the win vs. Dallas and the near-win over Houston, I got myself excited but didn't really believe that we could beat teams like Minnesota, Green Bay, Indy, etc. Now, having said that, I fully expected our personnel to be good enough with our new coaching to handle a team like the Rams.

After a performance like this, I'm starting to wish we had torn it down to build it back up from scratch. I still believe McNabb has 3-4 years here, but I'm starting to believe that we won't be ready to win with him. I don't know...I'm trying to avoid falling into the mindset that Shanahan is just another "quick-fix" attempt instead of an organizational shift.

I hope things start to happen this season to make me believe!

We just need more talent. All of our talent is older, especially at the skill positions. It's going to take time to build up a core of players.

This is pretty much it in a nut shell. At the skill positions we just don't have enough youth, speed and talent. Plain and simple. Oh,...the O-line is not good -- Kasey Rabach is absolutely horrible.

It is what it is -- if you have lemons you make lemonade -- but lemonade don't cut it in the NFL.

Could be made? We have the worst defense in the league and just gave up 30 points to the Rams. This defense isn't a little worse, it's flat out horrible.

Without a doubt, I agree with you. We're only 3 games in though, so I think it would be hard to argue that they will absolutely end up being worse. Their play certainly doesn't give me much of a reason to think they'll turn it around, though.

And agreed with what most are saying, we just don't have the talent. It's starting to make me feel bad for persecuting Zorn, though ultimately the coaches are the ones that choose who go out of the field and play.

The thing that scares me is that the team is going to do something stupid and draft Locker in the offseason ( he is no where near the prospect that Bradford was).

You know what though? At least if we do that we can convince ourselves that we're building toward something. I was completely wrong about my evaluation of the talent we had on this team. I thought it was average-ish. I assumed that our talent plus a professional coach who was in touch with the current NFL would equal an instantly viable team and, eventually, a good team. This is the first time since 2001 that we've had both a good coach and a coach who was comfortable in the modern NFL.

As it turns out, we'd be better off rebuilding completely. Even if it means we waste more than half of Mike Shanahan's tenure here, we probably need to build this team up the right way. Again, McNabb is very good still, but I just don't know that he will still be very good by the time we've caught up to him at other positions.

I don't even want to touch on the D because I don't know what to say. From the first play today it looked like our D was disinterested and not up for a fight. It's one thing to get caught flat early on the road, but the joke is that we took the lead in the second half of that game...that meant that we weathered the emotional storm and it was a fair fight again...translation, they just punched the Redskins in the mouth and beat the **** out of us.

Now, I didn't expect things to turn around immediately, but I really thought there would be some perceptible improvement in most facets, given that Zorn appeared to be clueless much of last year.

I don't mind losing, what I do mind is essentially seeing the exact same things that ruined our season last year popping up again.

Seriously, McNabb is a flat out upgrade over JC, but he can't do everything.

How is it possible that we still have no one that can return punts with any confidence?

Why does the running game look identical, with virtually no stretch runs we were told so much about?

Why does our redzone offense look the exact same as it did in both Gibbs 2.0 and Zorn? Ultra conservative, even if we got into the redzone on a series of pass plays.

How about the defense, complete with the 20 yard cushions, ineffective blitzes, and over pursuit on every screen play (the sign of bad coaching and dumb players)

Same lock room drama, which I can only imagine will increase following todays embarrassing loss.

There are so many more, but I just can't believe how much this resembles the same old stuff we've been watching for years now.

Because McNabb is only an upgrade on paper. He is playing with the same trash that was on the team lastyear. I called this kind of BS way before the season started. 5-11 in 2010. Same old Skins.

I thought this would be a trap game, and it sure turned out that way.

Being every Skin player on the field was sliding around, did it ever cross ANY coaches' mind to have them change cleats?

Yea, I'm ticked at the lack of effort by many players and coaches, but the blame can be put on most everyone; every Redskin player on the field looked slow compared to the Rams, and at times they looked ok, but others it looked like personnel mismatches dominated. When blitzing, cb's played off the receivers and couldn't recup the distance before the hot read was hit, and no team can blitz the front 6 and have the secondary play a soft zone.

I'm beginning to wonder if it really is a Snyder jinx keeping this team or is it just players thinking if they show up on the field it should be an automatic win; I just don't know anymore...

Because McNabb is only an upgrade on paper. He is playing with the same trash that was on the team lastyear. I called this kind of BS way before the season started. 5-11 in 2010. Same old Skins.

Only an upgrade on paper...haha. He is the only positive this team has to show for itself. If I were McNabb, this season would be one and done, and then on to greener pastures. If he's smart.

Only an upgrade on paper...haha. He is the only positive this team has to show for itself. If I were McNabb, this season would be one and done, and then on to greener pastures. If he's smart.

Really? Under his leadership, his team was was 1 for 13 on third down conversions. That is an upgrade. Sorry but some of that has to fall on his shoulders.

Archived