Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

LB Bryan Cox rips Jets FO on NFL Live

Nighthawk

Did anybody happen to watch ESPN's NFL live last night?

Bryan Cox is one of the new commentators on the show and he ripped the Jets last night.

I'll have to paraphrase most of what he said but here are the highlights.

If the JETS don't win, Vinny will be the scapegoat because even with Chad the Jets weren't going to be a good team this year.

He blasted the JETS front office saying they've had terrible drafts under Bradway and company and that only one player is contributing from their drafts and it's the RT McKenzie.

Santana Moss is a bust and is not better than a #3 WR.

He blasted them for not improving the team in the off season.

Curtis Conway is a WR who's best days are behind him.

Chrebet is one concussion away from being out of the NFL.

Their OL is terrible and instead of drafting OL help they go out and draft a LB when they have so much money all ready tied up in their LB's.

They draft a RB when they all ready have Curtis Martin and Lamont Jordan waiting in the wings.

He said a lot more but I didn't catch the end of his rant against the Jets.

You could tell he caught Trey Wingo and Mike Golic off guard with his comments.

If anybody else saw this please add to what I all ready said.

I saw it and found it fairly astute. He certainly nailed the reality of what's going on with the Jets and caught perfectly how they will react if they don't do well this year. They'll simply write it off as Vinny's fault.

I would have to agree with most of that, but I think its a little early to tell about Moss. He was hurt, and last year was his first real season playing. Its wait and see with him but I hope he does well, I loved watching him with Miami.

I still don't understand how fans of a team that was 9-7 can expect their heroes to be better in 2003 with less talent.

It just boggles the mind. This was a team that won the division on a tiebreaker.

It was not a 13-3 club that dominated play and could afford to lose a player or two and still be on top.

The Jets are no better than a 8-8 team this year and that is with getting all the breaks against division rivals.

If they don't get the breaks or suffer any more injuries the club could be 6-10.

Originally posted by Posse81

I would have to agree with most of that, but I think its a little early to tell about Moss. He was hurt, and last year was his first real season playing. Its wait and see with him but I hope he does well, I loved watching him with Miami.

I agree he has some flahes but for some reason I can't get the name Warrick out of my mind ;)

Well, I remember catching "Monday Night Countdown" before the Colts/Broncos game on Monday night, and Tom Jackson and Michael Irvin(yes, THAT Michael Irvin) had some choice words about the Jets too.

When the subject of Jets QB Chad Pennington came up, Tom Jackson commented that everyone worries that the Jets will not be as good without Pennington as the starter, yet Jackson said that he didn't see how they would be any good with Pennington starting.

Then Michael Irvin piped in by saying that Jets HC Herman Edwards wants to play man-to-man coverage on defense with his CBs, but that the Jets CBs simply aren't good enough to play man-to-man.

And meanwhile, in regards Bryan Cox's Jets comments, here what Jets fans are saying about them over at the funniest place on the Net these days, GangGreen:

http://forums.theganggreen.com/index.php?showtopic=8769

One thing I definitely agree with is the assessment of the Jets' WRs.

Conway and Moss are dogmeat trying to replace Coles. Chrebet is what he has always been, a solid possession receiver.

These guys are not going to scare many defenses in 2003 so Martin is really going to have to carry the team.

At 31, after getting more carries than any other back since 1995, is he still up to it? :)

If Edwards is depending on his running back and defense to carry them, he better make sure his DL and CBs are up to the task :D

Its funny that we hate to see the media talk bad about the redskins, but thrive on seeing it done to the Jets? One thing that I haven't heard mentioned is Herman Edwards. So far Edwards has shown that he can do the job of motivating a team and lead them to the playoffs. We will see come the season how good they are. But as of right now everybody is 0-0. From what I've heard this offseason from Jets camp, Conway and Moss are looking very good. We'll see when the season starts how good they are, but why are we so willing to invest stuff in what the media says about the Jets if we're not willing to invest in what they say about us?

Brian Cox is much more knowledgeable than Irvin.....he can speak off the cuff and be smart and exact while Irvin, if has not prewritten copy on a teleprompted to read, is a box of rocks and then reverts to his ghetto clicking laughter sound.....

You'd better hope you don't lose to that 40 year old qb, all the pressure is now squarely on the Old Balls Coach and the spendskins.

Cox is a bright guy but to call Santana Moss a bust is just absurd, however Moss will be the WR most affected from Pennington's injury.

Here's a small piece of information that's relevant to Cox's impartiality, or lack thereof.

He's great friends with Bill Parcells - in fact they hang out together and share a passion for the ponies. Before Tuna's departure, it's well publicized that he crippled the Jets salary cap with ridiculous contracts for players not worth nearly what they were payed.

Not coincidentally Cox was one of those players. But fortunately for the Jets, the bulk of Cox's cake was due on the form of future salary and a huge March 1 roster bonus. When Bradway came to the Jets, Cox was immediately cut and he received neither the big fat roster bonus nor his bloated salary. What he did receive was an invitation to play for a sub .500 team for a cheap 1-year deal in New Orleans while the Jets reached the playoffs under Bradway despite the team failing the previous 2 seasons.

Any time Cox has spoken out against the Jets, which is not infrequently, his bitterness has been apparent. We heard this same song last year. Aside from his blatant bias, it's also tough to be convinced by someone who calls a first round WR, "Santana Dotson" rather than "Santana Moss".

Originally posted by blakman211

Its funny that we hate to see the media talk bad about the redskins, but thrive on seeing it done to the Jets? One thing that I haven't heard mentioned is Herman Edwards. So far Edwards has shown that he can do the job of motivating a team and lead them to the playoffs. We will see come the season how good they are. But as of right now everybody is 0-0. From what I've heard this offseason from Jets camp, Conway and Moss are looking very good. We'll see when the season starts how good they are, but why are we so willing to invest stuff in what the media says about the Jets if we're not willing to invest in what they say about us?

I don't think anyone cares if people talk poorly about the Redskins. What is generally attacked is when that talk is largely fictional in nature. Like the recent TMQ that made up stuff as criticisms. Questioning the team is not something I see a lot of anger towards. We question the team ourselves.

Art this is classic:

"Hall is proven in that he knows how to kick in the Meadowlands which is one of the hardest places in the league to kick. Brien is proven such that he can kick in my kitchen as long as the air-to-air exchange isn't running too high."

:rotflmao: :rotflmao:

I would take anything Bryan Cox says with a HUGE grain of salt. As Flow pointed out, a lot of times ex-players can be bitter towards organizations they feel slighted them during their career.

Having said that, it is perfectly rational to question how the Jets were going to compensate for the loss of several key components. They seem to feel that the talent they either had in house or were able to pickup would adequately replace departed talent. Any objective person would cast a wary eye at that presumption.

This seems to be the Jets FO and fan line of thinking:

=======================================

We lost Thomas? That's OK, we'll sign this guy from the Rams (a team with OL problems of its own - why would they let a good OL get away?), plus 89-year-old Dave Szott is coming back from a major injury. We're fine there.

Lost Hall? He was mediocre anyway - it had nothing to do with the stadium, it doesn't matter what the stats breakdown shows. We can get a kicker anywhere. (Haven't the Redskins been saying this since Lohmiller left?)

Lost Coles? No biggie, we got Conway, plus Moss is ready to take it to the next level. They'll more than compensate for Coles' production. Heck, with Chad getting even better, the passing offense will really take off. Besides, we can't tie up that kind of jack, what with other players needing to be re-signed, too. We get a first-rounder to boot - we'll package that to move high up in the draft and get this guy who has great measurables, though his play in college didn't necessarily always impress. It doesn't matter that we could have used that money to lock up a guy who has proved to be a top-notch WR for us.

Morton gone? No problemo. Our ST coach is so good, we'll just plug anyone back there to be our KO return guy. We don't need him at RB, anyway. We have CMart, and, if he breaks down, LaMont Jordan will come in and dominate - he could start for most teams.

Besides, we have Chad. With him, all things are possible. Put Chad at QB for Our Little Sisters of the Poor and they would get into the playoffs. We're a Super Bowl contender merely with him behind center. With the upgraded talent on the team, the league better watch out.

What, Chad went down? Damn, this season is in the toilet now with Vinny.

========================================

Did I miss anything? What sane person would say that this team had improved its chances for success this offseason, especially considering its division?

If the Jets can make the playoffs this season, Edwards immediately makes it on my list of great coaches.

I think the Jets would have been pretty good this year had Pennington not gotten hurt. They were better at the end of the year last year than their 9 - 7 record indicated b/c of the slow start they had in the begining of the season. The loss of Coles and the others does hurt them, but they still have a good coach in Edwards, a solid back in Martin, a good defense, and Pennington is only going to get better. I think a lot of guys on here bash the Jets b/c of how crappy some Jets fans were towards us Skins fans after we made off with some of their best players. Some of the stuff I have read on the web written by Jets fans (Flow not included) has been really low class.

I've seen Cox a few times on ESPN, and I think he's pretty good. Much better than Irvin or that tool Sclereth (sp?). I did think he went a little over the top last night though, and it did seem like there was some personal resentment there.

Originally posted by GaSkinsfan

I did think he went a little over the top last night though, and it did seem like there was some personal resentment there.

Personal resentment is right.

Imagine this. You're dating a girl for a couple years and promise her a few million $$$ in a week. On Thursday, you change your mind, dump her, and immediately start dating an even hotter girl instead and it's been working out for 2 years. Meanwhile, your scorned skank dates two different losers who both live in trailor parks, gets dumped by both of them, and now she's so washed up that nobody will even oggle her saddlebags and droopy flapjacks. She's got a mouth like a sailor though and can really flap her teethless gums. So Oprah comes along and asks this hoe to come on as a guest and to talk about relationships. In particular, Oprah wants to know how the slut thinks her ex-boyfriends relationship with is going with the temptress for whom she was dumped. What will she say?

Everyone knows a hoe likes cox and cox is like a hoe.

You pretty much summed it all up Nighthawk. I was very impressed with Cox and the way he presented his arguments. The Jets have been terrible in their last three drafts, except for Abraham, and D. Robertson was a need pick who they reached for.

Oh and NYC, as for Santana Moss, he's a former first rounder who after two years has racked up a whopping 473 yards on 32 catches for 4 TD's, and don't tell me about his injury, production is production and a bust is a bust. And does the fact that Curtis Conway was brought in really make you feel good about what the team is seeing from Moss?

Now, he's not quite a bust yet, but unless he puts up some very good numbers this year, the Jets will have wasted that pick because the player they were hoping Moss would become was actually already on their roster and his name is L.C.

Now the Jets are left with a might be rather than the real deal, Good job!

Archived