Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anyone Else Concerned About Reed Doughty?

bulldog

He was horrible last night. He is usually sound with not getting beat badly based on positioning. Well last night he was atrocious in both of the big plays mentioned. Buchanan made the unsung play of the night in stopping Austin from scoring.

I seriously thought that Reed Doughty was not going to make the team. He is obviously a huge weakness in the secondary. I hope Kareem Moore returns next week against Houston and maybe Horton or Carter move up in the depth chart.

Really? Nothing at all? How about being second to Fletcher in tackles last season? Football outsiders had him listed as one of the best safeties in the league last season for a reason. He's a great safety up close to the line. He's putrid at free safety.

He's right though. Horton was always used as an in the box Strong Safety, and he rarely dropped into deep coverage because he's not very good at it.

So you mean to tell me that he never played coverage in the past til this year, when we decidedhe would fit in coverage perfect. I don't think so im pretty sure when we ran dime, and nickel cover 2 Horton and Landry were the safeties.

He just is not a free safety. I remember years ago when sean taylor got hurt and he came in at free safety against dallas and got roasted. He doesnt have the speed for free safety nor can he properly read the plays properly for that position. It's a shame landry was getting beat deep last year and landry is definitely better suited to his current position but its hard to see reed back there.

reed doughty is an average to good strong safety and a mediocre to terrible free safety.

So you mean to tell me that he never played coverage in the past til this year, when we decidedhe would fit in coverage perfect. I don't think so im pretty sure when we ran dime, and nickel cover 2 Horton and Landry were the safeties.

Horton has been regressing since middle of his rookie year, as he has stuggled to grasp coverage schemes.

He was benched for Doughty mid-way thorugh last year, and has shown little to move in front of him. Horton has the same basic limitations as Doughty: lacks good coverage awareness, doesn't play the ball in the air well, and lack top end speed to recover from mistakes (which both make often). Just because Horton has a youtube video, cool hair and a nickname does not mean he is a better athlete or better suited for FS.

They are both pure tacklers, and need to be close to the LOS to maximize their skill set.

EDIT: The ONLY reason Landry is better at FS than Doughty or Horton is his recovery speed allows him to make up for some of the mistakes that the other two simply don't have the ability to cover up. They all have similar issues with their instincts. Landry's athleticism just lets him get away with it more often.

Thankfully Moore has shown great instincts, and superior athleticism. Fingers crossed that he comes back healthy and builds off a great training camp.

Doughty, like Landry, is better at Strong Safety and not Free Safety but as a backup, he plays where the coaches tell him. In the two cases mentioned, he bit on play action. It's not Doughty's speed, it was him moving up to the line that delayed him getting back into coverage, something that happens to a lot of safeties and happens to Moore also. Hall was covering Austin and Austin broke away from him. Inside the 10 the Free Safety tends to over-commit to the run as he doesn't have a lot of endzone to help out his cornerbacks over the top. If he had played it perfectly he wouldn't have bit on the run, but that's hard to do on play action when the other team has just reeled off two good running plays.

Mistake? Yes. The end of all space and time? No. Moore > Doughty > Horton. Doughty is not the best safety in the league but he's better than Horton and is a reasonable backup. He knows where he's supposed to be and plays well on special teams. If you have a Pro Bowl FS out there tell Allen to hire him. In the meantime, Doughty was chosen by the coaches over Horton for a reason.

I love Doughty as a SS/extra linebacker type player in certain situations, but he is absolutely terrible at FS. Not only is he too slow for the position, he bit on fakes or was so far out of position on so many plays last night - he hurt the team. It's nothing personal, but Doughty was really bad last night and I can't think of him ever really being effective at anything other than SS. I cannot wait for Moore to be healthy. With Doughty back there, it is difficult to have good enough coverage across the field to allow our pass rushers to get sacks.

In the two cases mentioned, he bit on play action. It's not Doughty's speed, it was him moving up to the line that delayed him getting back into coverage, something that happens to a lot of safeties and happens to Moore also. Hall was covering Austin and Austin broke away from him. Inside the 10 the Free Safety tends to over-commit to the run as he doesn't have a lot of endzone to help out his cornerbacks over the top. If he had played it perfectly he wouldn't have bit on the run, but that's hard to do on play action when the other team has just reeled off two good running plays.

I disagree that Doughty's speed is not a problem, but it the specific instance of the Austin TD, I completely agree with you, speed had nothing to do with it. It was a well designed play that baited an aggressive safety into playing the run (especially an aggressive SS playing the role of FS where he is usually attacking the runner at the goal line). We don't know if Horton or Landry or even Moore would also have bit on the play action there, but I don't think any safety on our roster is athletic enough to be able to recover and break up that pass. As soon as he stepped forward, it was an easy TD. It was an instincts problem, and that is a problem not unique to Doughty among our healthy safeties.

He is the slowest most un-athletic player on the field, and yesterday he was mentally unaware. One reason he is still on this team is his reputation of being a smart player, however, he needs to be on the field much less as we all saw a huge liability on an otherwise stellar defense. On that TD pass, he bit for the fake when he wouldn't even have been able to make the play if they did run the ball...I really hope he can play smart in the future.

He is the slowest most un-athletic player on the field, and yesterday he was mentally unaware. One reason he is still on this team is his reputation of being a smart player, however, he needs to be on the field much less as we all saw a huge liability on an otherwise stellar defense. On that TD pass, he bit for the fake when he wouldn't even have been able to make the play if they did run the ball...I really hope he can play smart in the future.

While it obviously sucks we don't have ST back there, it was too bad OJ Atogwe couldn't of been had for cheap. I would feel much more comfortable about the deep passing game on Reed's side.

I hope to see Horton out there. His rookie year he was Charlie Hussle. Last year he was injured. I hope he can get jis legs back under him and return to his previous form. Even when he wasnt snatching turnovers, he was always in on the play his rookie season. Always. Reed is a gret guy and a great story for a deaf whiteboy to start at Saftey in this league... but he just isnt a perenial starter. Decent short term depth i guess. Not a starter.

Isn't Reed coming off a kidney transplant or something? That would explain why he seem lethargic out there.

Nah. In 2007, we were owning the Eagles. They had NOTHING deep, nothing. Next thing you know, Taylor is out of the game, Doughty steps in, and we lose because we were getting killed deep. The following week Owens gets four touchdowns.

Doughty just can't play free safety. I *LOVE* him as strong safety, but I'm not replacing Landry for anyone.

I think the Good Lord took Sean from us because it would have been truly unfair if he was back there with Landry! We can only Imagine! I am sure Sean is playing hard and telling everyone in heaven how we would be the best secondary of all time if he was there!

Brian Davis, Brad Edwards, Arch Deluxe...now Reed.

Common trait?

They all got BURNED. (Did you say white?.......Racisit!)

I liked Brad Edwards as a safety and you're wrong race has nothing to do with it. We always just have a liability in coverage David Terrell, Ade Jimoh ring a bell? those guys were horrible to.

Did anybody see the post game when DeAngelo Hall was asked about that touchdown play? You can tell he was pissed at Reed. He said something along the lines of, "the reason I was so pissed was because we worked on that play over and over but our safety got nosey and blew his coverage.";)

Archived