Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anyone Else Concerned About Reed Doughty?

bulldog

Love Reed Doughty as a human being.

Having said that, he STINKS as a safety. He is very often out of place, and 3 seconds late! His slowness and being out of place resulted in the COwturds scoring their only touch down. And, then in the final seconds made the same mistake again! Frankly, he is a liability in the back field.

We need to get a decent Free Safety, and/or consider putting Kevin Barnes there.

What I don't get is everyone worshiping the ground Landry walks on (now that he had a game with a lot of tackles). When Doughty was the SS, he was second on the team in tackles, but all he got was grief. Doughty is a good SS.

He is a very good SS. He contains the run game well and he's capable of timing some very good blitzes.

But as soon as he has to do anything in coverage it's game over for him.

Landry played excellent for a rookie at SS, very well at FS in 2008, and fell off hard last year. But this year he seems like a new man under the new scheme and is back to the SS role where he essentially copies Adrian Wilson and acts as a 5th LB.

Doughty is capable of doing some good things at SS given the right circumstances and play calls. But Landry is capable of being elite at the position, and showed a lot of signs why last Sunday night (as he did his rookie year at times).

I wonderd why we didn't go after Otogwe, he's a reall Fs, Doughty is not.He is a smaller slower Landry.but for some reason they didn't go after Otogwe at all.I like /doughty but not as a starter for the full year. but who knows maybe with some time under his belt he will improve, this whole defese is learnign something new and looked like it last game.i am glad we won ut we won because dallas made more mistakes thats and we will take it but we didn't wow anyone or scare anyone.its still not clear what this team will be, but i will say that they play hard and swarm to the ball and pass block well.

I wonderd why we didn't go after Otogwe, he's a reall Fs, Doughty is not.He is a smaller slower Landry.but for some reason they didn't go after Otogwe at all.I like /doughty but not as a starter for the full year. but who knows maybe with some time under his belt he will improve, this whole defese is learnign something new and looked like it last game.i am glad we won ut we won because dallas made more mistakes thats and we will take it but we didn't wow anyone or scare anyone.its still not clear what this team will be, but i will say that they play hard and swarm to the ball and pass block well.

Nobody went after Atogwe. Because Atogwe gets a few INTs but he gives up huge plays as well.

And the coaches are pretty high on Kareem Moore, who is much cheaper for us right now than Atogwe would have been.

Doughty made some mistakes yes. But, lets not forgot he was part of the defense that allowed only 7 points, and only on a short field. He was playing back there the WHOLE game and the Cowboys couldn't throw the ball down the field. So obviously he must have been doing a good job the rest of those times. On any plays where he has good coverage you won't see him on the screen, because the QB wont throw it his way. Moore is better, but lets look at Doughty's whole body of work.

People always talk about his physical limitations and about how smart he is, but the guy makes a lot of mental mistakes. On NFLN, Mike Mayock was breaking down the Redskins defensive effort from Sunday night and was praising our team. He also pointed out a mistake by Doughty that could have hurt us. When the Texans scheme this week, Reed Doughty will definitely be a target. Lets hope he learned from the Dallas game.

• 3 weeks later...

Holy Crap. Reed almost cost us another game losing touchdown. Did you see him on the Hail Mary? He was literally loooking up at Avant coming down with the ball, like a spectator. He wasn't doing anything.

If Avant had managed to come down with this, Reed would be getting a ton of heat for it.

Holy Crap. Reed almost cost us another game losing touchdown. Did you see him on the Hail Mary? He was literally loooking up at Avant coming down with the ball, like a spectator. He wasn't doing anything.

If Avant had managed to come down with this, Reed would be getting a ton of heat for it.

Why is Reed even on the field for this? He has NO leaping ability at all.

Do what the patriots do with Moss, and put Devin Thomas in the End zone. He's gotta be good for something.

Everyone was, except Landry who I thought would have punched the ball out if the Feeble's player had kept his mitts on it.

We should keep Doughty. With him backing up LL, we are SET at strong safety.

What happened tonight is what should have happened in the Texans game on the Johnson TD catch, more than one defender there.

We are loaded at Safety. We need a NT.
True. Provided Horton is still serviceable with some upside, I wouldn't mind trading either Horton or Doughty, whichever one gets more demand, for a low draft pick. But neither will land us a quality NT, and we NEED depth like this.

Everyone was, except Landry who I thought would have punched the ball out if the Feeble's player had kept his mitts on it.

We should keep Doughty. With him backing up LL, we are SET at strong safety.

What happened tonight is what should have happened in the Texans game on the Johnson TD catch, more than one defender there.

Seriously. LL jumped to knock it down and whiffed cause he was too short. It really should have been a TD and we should have had someone over 5-11 back there to KNOCK IT DOWN!!!

The suggestion to put DT back there for that play (or any tall guys) is a good idea!! We had a time out, we could of easily gotten the personnel on the field and ready w/o too much confusion.. (Granted it would need to be practiced before tryin it in a game) but having certain guys come in for a special "hail mary" formation wouldnt be much/any different than putting in the "all hands" team on onside kick situations.. Also, Doughty needs to do some "jump ball" skill reps!! The guy mistimes his jump every time in that situation! Their reciever had both hands on the ball, and should of caught it! If that had cost us the game, 37 would been run out of DC.. (And I'd of came up from FL. to lead the charge) ;)

Archived