Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Biggest concerns heading into the new season?

mzkp54

My concern is actually our defense. I think our biggest strength contributes to our biggest weakness. We will have a really aggressive rushing team and I picture orakpo, wilson, daniels, carter, Landry, AL and crew will be bringing the house A LOT. This will lead to teams throwing more screens and short throws that will be targeting our linebacker pass coverage abilities. Unfortunately, I dont think our LB crew has very good coverage skills. Teams with strong tight ends will probably be our worst nightmare.

Good point. Didn't think of it like that. We will be sending alot, alot of the time. Pass coverage for the LB's is gonna be tough. Reed has, IMO, potential to blow and esp. beside Laron so they should hold things down deep hopefully most of the time, if they're not running for Romo sits to pee's face mask.

So I guess what I'm asking is what are people's biggest concerns going into the season? Also, what are areas that people think there has generally been too much complaining/speculation about and we will be fine?

Biggest concern right now is the Safety position.

Will Kareem Moore return completely healthy?

Will Doughty be good enough to let Landry stay in the box or will his lack of range force Landry back to FS?

McNabb's health, Rex Grossman scares me to death.

Too much complaining about the WRs.

Defense. I've never thought Haslett was a good coach. All the players are talking up the defense and we've look pretty good in preseason, but I just can't help feeling that teams are going to move the ball against us. I'm holding my breath when it comes to D this year.

Offensively, I'm not super concerned. McNabb has a tendency to take more risks and is not super accurate, but he's an upgrade. If he can manage 3-6 more points per game, our record will greatly improve.

Greatest concern has to be the OL ability to successfully zone block and get the running game going. Shanahan's system is based on play action passing and if the team cannot run the ball the offense starts to break down (See Broncos 2007-2008).

This is actually a greater concern than the WR's are, because if teams do not respect the running game, the TE's have to stay back and block and the WR's are doubled by the safeties and corners.

I'm not saying I know better than everyone here, but I do. :pfft:

Just playing, but in all seriousness I've looked over pretty much every play in every preseason game about 5-6 times analyzing a different individual/position each time. Granted, without knowledge of what exactly was called and what each player's responsibilities were on the play you can't make a proper assessment every time, but you can get a feel for things.

With all that said, I think too many people here are severely underestimating our WR corps. Moss has looked better than he has in a long time, and was dominant at times. When we went in with a gameplan against the Jets defense, he torched them. We haven't seen that since the first half of 2008.

Galloway hardly played this preseason, but when he started against the Bills he got open deep and would've had a TD had Mcnabb threw it accurately. Against the Ravens, the same thing happened but this time it was Rex who missed him. He got the most playing time against the Jets, and there he got open consistently on routes designed to attack the Safeties down field. I honestly don't care what he did with the Pats last season, I'm going with the present truth and it's clear proofs. Galloway is a legitimate threat, and I like that Shanny is keeping him a secret, lol. If he stays healthy, we finally have a WR to compliment Moss. If he doesn't, and there's a big chance he won't, it won't be over for us. I believe in our depth based on what we've seen so far.

Armstrong is being overlooked as well, big time. But why? Because he was pretty much an unknown quantity before? Who cares! Guy was consistently getting open against quality DBs this preseason, what could possibly be a reasonable argument against that not being the same come regular season? Honestly, what? You can't say he was playing against backups and third-stringers, and that's where he was successful. You can say that about Thomas, Austin and Banks... but not Armstrong. Is it "vanilla schemes", lol? Come on, Dbs either line up in man coverage against you or in zone no matter the scheme. That's only true when looking at offensive production vs. a defense as a whole, not individual battles. A DB can't play "vanilla"... he's trying to beat you one on one or in the zone he's responsible for. You can't argue that the Dbs lining up against him were left on an island either, because that would be a good thing for your no. 3 WR who usually will be covered one on one anyway, and furthermore, he didn't have any size advantage that he could just use to exploit that type of situation. He just beat them with his speed and route running, plain and simple. Were the Safeties he got behind also playing "vanilla"? Yeesh!

Roydell Williams is the forgotten man, but he was also consistent and his size is an advantage. He didn't make any big plays, but he wasn't slow, didn't make any mistakes, and got open enough even when he didn't see the ball.

Devin Thomas is the big question mark in my mind. He can be awesome, but he's so inconsistent it just kills you! If he gains any semblance of consistency, he's going to be the no. 2 guy here. His talent is undeniable, and he can run an awesome route... just needs to do it every time. He's the difference maker here. If he can run all of his routes the right way the vast majority of the time, he turns our WR corps into an obvious strength and one of the best in the league. If he can't, we'll still be fine with the other guys ahead of him. Hopefully he provides us a play or two along the way though.

Banks/Austin will be an interesting thing to watch, don't know how things will go there, but there's a ton of promise. That, however, doesn't translate to production most of the time.

I think too many of us are enamored with name and recognition over quality and the evidence thereof when it comes to the WRs. I expect our WRs will have good names by the end of the year, God willing.

As for the question posed by the OP, I'd say the biggest concerns are NT (specifically Maake Keamoueatu), RG (specifically Artis Hicks) and our Oline depth in general. Artis Hicks looked much better than he had all preseason against the Jets, which is exactly what we would hope for. Maake, however, hasn't looked like the type of NT we need all throughout. I'm really worried there. I don't want to see the Cowboys running right at us with ease come Sunday Night.

Greatest concern has to be the OL ability to successfully zone block and get the running game going. Shanahan's system is based on play action passing and if the team cannot run the ball the offense starts to break down (See Broncos 2007-2008).

This is actually a greater concern than the WR's are, because if teams do not respect the running game, the TE's have to stay back and block and the WR's are doubled by the safeties and corners.

Two words: Clinton Portis.

The ultimate slasher back. There's a reason we didn't see much of him this preseason. I hope, and believe, it was for a very, very good reason. :)

The health of McNabb, and O-line depth.

If #5 goes down, I don't even want to contemplate what sort of **** the O will be in with Interceptus Rexus back there. I'm clinging to the fact that at least he knows Shanny Jnrs. system; but that's not much to cling to when it comes to Rex. And linked to Donovan's health, as always, thanks to years of neglect and there only being so much you can do in one off-season; the depth behind the front 5, who have it all to prove themselves, is real worrying.

I don't foresee the run game being a problem. Coach Mike has always gotten that going, and I'm real intrigued to see the new, slimmed down version of CP in his "one cut and go" system. Portis looks as hungry as he's looked at anytime here. I wouldn't be too perturb about the lack of a run game pre-season, as we were both running the bare minimum; and it's the in vogue NFL thing to concentrate almost solely on your passing game in exhibition games of late. And on the passing game, leading me full circle, two words: Donovan McNabb. If he's healthy and out there, the receivers will do just fine. This isn't any of the last 5 years folks. This is a competent, veteran pro. QB who can actually hit these guys. And hit them early and in stride. It may be a little ropey early due to a lack of actual on-field practice this pre-season, but it'll gel soon enough.

Throw in a top notch play caller calling the games and keeping opposing D's guessing; and what I believe will be a legit threat in the run game again; and both forms of attack should benefit each other as defensives have to play us honest in both the passing and run game again for the first time in what seems like forever.

Hail.

I can appreciate the reasoning behind this thread, but I think i've finally come to the conclusion that i'm not going to get caught up in any more of the constant "hand wringing". My only concern for this season is that we end up with a better record than 4-12, and i'd like to see us go at least .500 in the NFC East. As long as we can do those things it will be an improvement over last year. There, now I don't have anything to really worry about until the end of the season, and this free's me up to actually enjoy watching the Skins play football. Wow, i'm already more relaxed :D

I can appreciate the reasoning behind this thread, but I think i've finally come to the conclusion that i'm not going to get caught up in any more of the constant "hand wringing". My only concern for this season is that we end up with a better record than 4-12, and i'd like to see us go at least .500 in the NFC East. As long as we can do those things it will be an improvement over last year. There, now I don't have anything to really worry about until the end of the season, and this free's me up to actually enjoy watching the Skins play football. Wow, i'm already more relaxed :D

:ols: Any improvement over last year's debacle is a win in my opinion. I live in Saints and Cowgirl's territory and had endure quite a bit of :pooh: talking last year. :mad:

Concerns I have would be the health of McNabb, the depth on the OL, WR talent (or lack thereof), and possibly the safety position. McNabb needs to stay upright if we have a chance. Grossman looked solid in the pre-season, but I certainly wouldn't want him manning the position for more than just spot duty. I believe the running game will be fine. Portis looks ready to prove the naysayers wrong and I think Williams will have more of an impact than LJ. WR is very foggy at this point with Moss being the only true legit receiver on this team. I'm hoping AA can turn out to be a true find. DT needs to show us something, because so far he has bust written all over him. Would also like to see Bank's speed utilized (if for no other reason than to keep opponent's secondaries honest). Defensively, I think we'll be better than we actually think. Hoping the AH saga comes to an end, but I truthfully think it'll continue to crop up every so often throughout the season. Need KM back ASAP. The safety position is really a sore spot. Landry, Doughty, and Horton are really all SSs. Moore is the only FS I see we have that can man the position. Hopefully, the defense wreaks enough havoc so we don't have to see how truly exposed we are there. Otherwise, I'm ready to see the Skins kick the :pooh: out of the Crygirls. :D

:applause:

I am in the same camp, the season record doesn't concern me as much as systemic improvement to the team does. IF injuries force 2nd/3rd stringers into starting roles well then damn, we're gonna suffer from it, but that doesn't have anything to do with the overall improvement of the roster.

Show up and play every week, play the whole game and give it whatcha got and let the chips fall where they may. Don't embarrass yourselves with sloppy/stupid/lazy play (yes I am looking at YOU LaRon!), win tough, lose tough, look like a pro franchise and I'll be happy.

Year 1- Vinnie gone, gonna take something drastic to cut the honeymoon short.

OL/LBs are my main concerns.

OL will be key to everything on offense. Keeping McNabb upright, opening up lanes for the RBs, and giving McNabb time to find receivers, as well as receivers getting time to get open. Our position players are not world beaters, so the OL will have to play better then they have in recent years. I'm not sure how well this line will do, but it's nice to see the FO spend a high draft pick on a position they've desperately needed young talent at for a while.

LBs, but more specifically, the switch to the 3-4. I really don't think Carter is suitable to play a LB. He's failed there before and has looked lost during preseason. You're going to see teams take advantage of that...a lot. Unfortunately, there's no suitable replacement on the team right now. Orakpo is also a concern, although he has some experience there from last year and another year will definitely help him. Fletcher is solid as always, no concerns there. Rocky should be fine playing next to Fletcher in the middle. The outside spots are very worrisome though.

Two words: Clinton Portis.

The ultimate slasher back. There's a reason we didn't see much of him this preseason. I hope, and believe, it was for a very, very good reason. :)

I havent seen too much "slasher" back from him lately, his speed and ability to make cuts just hasnt been there. I hope he proves me wrong definitely, but this is my biggest concern heading into the season, our running game

Im concerned about the parking lots opening at 12 for tailgating sunday. Alot of things come to mind like will i drink to much and pass out and not even see the game? How will i make it to my seats? ect..

Its Dallas week and when i am not working i am pre-gaming, i am pumped for this game. Cant wait to see the "Dallas sucks and jerry jones swallows" tee shirts out either. Wear your Burgandy and Gold and leave the white at home.

Disclaimer: ive had a few tonight and normally would erase this but its a special week.

My biggest concern is how early are we going to pull the starters in the 3rd quarter in the ass whoopins we're gonna lay out.

Now, that's funny.

Albert Hayensworth.

And, our WRs. I am hoping Anthony comes on strong for us.:saber:

I havent seen too much "slasher" back from him lately, his speed and ability to make cuts just hasnt been there. I hope he proves me wrong definitely, but this is my biggest concern heading into the season, our running game

He only had 9 carries, I believe, this preseason. And yeah, he was definitely slashing. :D

Archived