Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Initial Reactions to Redskins 53 Man Roster

bulldog

Caveat: the Redskins roster may change in the next 2-3 days................... :)

That said, I am a bit disappointed in what I see in several of the roster decisions made. Not perhaps because they mean the team will win 2 or 3 fewer games (!) but because the decisions made seem to reinforce the view that demonstrated peformance and consistency were not the only factors in play.

I thought we had overcome that with the end of the Zorn era.

1. Brandon Banks. Banks made 2 excellent plays in the preseason, the 77 yard punt return TD and another 42 yard return. In between he fumbled the ball twice. On offense he caught the ball, mostly against third and fourth team defenders. Banks to me is the type of camp and preseason good press story that doesn't translate into a regular season job.

2. Devin Thomas. Thomas didn't do much over the summer to show he was ready to step up. He was 50/50 in the preseason, catching one pass and dropping the next. He performed well on kick returns the past two games and had several nice blocks on the outside. So, those peripheral skills are enough to make the team for a third straight season as a former #2 pick. I can't believe if he was a former #6 pick of the Redskins in 2008 showing the same inconsistency on offense, that he would still be here.

3. Jeremy Jarmon. I like Jarmon. He was a GOOD choice as a supplemental pick for a team like Washington that was lacking younger talent on the DL. But that was the 4-3 and Jarmon at 270 combined good quickness with size in that scheme that pointed to him being a strong contributor going forward. Fast forward to the offseason. Jarmon is rehabbing from a serious knee injury and the Redskins ask him to ADD 25 pounds to be a factor at DE in the newly established 3-4 scheme. How many times do you ask a guy who is working to stabilize his knee to add 25 pounds as part of his rehab?

Jarmon goes on to have continuing knee issues during the preseason, sees limited time and does not look very effective in the scheme.

Yet, he makes the 53 man roster as a 3-4 DE.

Again performance and consistency are not there. Fit is not there.

What is the thought process here? That he will rehab to 100% and then adjust to playing end at 290 over the next 12 months?

It certainly can't be for any contribution expected in 2010.

So, once again as with the Banks and Thomas moves I am asking the question of whether the Shanahan rhetoric about earning a place equals the decisions that were ultimately made?

For as many post as you have, you should know better. Who would you have liked over Thomas, Jarmon, and Banks?

Agree.

We are the oldest team in the NFL, we had limited draft picks....so the question is. What would you have recommended?????

What receiver would you take over Thomas?

What defense over Jarmon.

Banks or who else?

When you are trying to dig yourself out of a hole, you don't exactly have many options.

Why is the word initial in the title? Can I just give impressions? :silly:

A little surprised about a few offensive cuts. Defensively, I feel like looking back on the season, we'll be posting how much we hate Jim Haslett for ruining our defense. Jarmon had huge potential at 4-3 DE. Our LB's were solid in a 4-3 set. Now we've got guys transitioning, playing new positions, out of position. This team isn't built for 3-4 right now, IMO. This is just my thought on the matter.

Shanny has never really had a good eye for defense. I'm afraid that may remain the same this year. I guess time will tell..

well, I would have kept Austin over Banks.

I don't think a guy 5'7 and 150 is going to be a viable option as PR/KR in anything but the short-term in the NFL.

Meanwhile, Austin looked better as a backup WR.

If someone can point to the contributions seen coming from Roydell Williams at age 29 during the preseason please let me know, I didn't see many.

The Redskins have playing 4 DEs on the roster in Carriker, Golston, Daniels and Haynesworth.

We are going short at TE and S in order to save that roster spot for Jarmon and I don't believe he is physically ready to contribute in the first part of 2010, which means that if there are a rash of injuries the Redskins are going to be looking to a trade or street free agents to fill the void.

If we are admitting we have 4 functional DEs right now, then why not keep a blocking TE or veteran safety?

My caveat above should not be ignored when considering my comments on these moves.

We may bring in a DE, TE, S, WR or OL over the next 2-3 days that decide some of these issues and force other roster changes.

Thomas has simply been a chronic underachiever whose every positive play has been over-applauded while every drop or fumbled kick/punt has been excused.

Some of you guys are in love with Thomas. I understand that.

At the same time I have not been smitten with him and believe the team will be better off when he is no longer here.

I'm most surprised by Banks and Keiland. I thought, like many here, that Bank's ball security and size would relegate him to the PS.

I thought Keiland looked better than Torain, especially catching balls out of the backfield. He seems pretty fluid and I like him in space. I also like that he found the endzone a couple of times. I had read that Williams was considered by the team as more of a PS guy and since Torain was under Shanahan before I figured he'd get the nod over Keiland. So Keiland makig the final 53 was mildly surprising.

I posted in another thread that I thought Roydell would make it as he was a sure bet to catch the balls thrown at him. He and McNabb seemed to have a connection from the little I saw them play together.

Jarmon is kind of a surprise. I don't know if he'll ever fully make the transition. He seems more of a 4-3 end than anything else. I dunno. He might be a future trade.

I keep reading that the team still isn't sold on Devin, but I have faith that Thomas will prove that notion wrong. I think he'll show up in games. I think McNabb will expedite his development.

None of the other keeper/released guys surprised me.

If someone can point to the contributions seen coming from Roydell Williams at age 29 during the preseason please let me know, I didn't see many.

When you have a franchise where you are sweating the last 5 guys kept, you don't have a very good football team.

It is what it is.

You don't turn things around overnight. No matter the blinders the fans are wearing.

We are what we are. You can't manufacture 3 starting wide receivers out of dust....unless we play the same game we have played for the last 10 years.

Life is good for Devin Thomas. All he has to do is show up at the NFL combine at 6'2 and 218 with a 4.4 time and his ticket is written for the next 3-4 years.

Coaches, front office personnel and fans alibi performance and consistency issues because of the combine measurables, ignoring the fumbles, plays where Thomas has lined up in the wrong spot or failed to make it out on the field in certain packages making the team call a timeout................

IMO you can 'hope' when it comes to Thomas developing but 'faith'? :)

What have we seen to elicit 'faith'?

Call me an agnostic :D

So, once again as with the Banks and Thomas moves I am asking the question of whether the Shanahan rhetoric about earning a place equals the decisions that were ultimately made?

Jarmon was hurt and is changing position so its difficult to evaluate him

but based on his previous play it was clear that he was too talented a player to let go

Devin Thomas has a clean slate with the Shanahan regime and who wouldn't want to have a 6'2 WR that runs 4.3? Not to mention that Devin is an upgrade at KR and he's a beast on special teams coverage units

Banks-Remember our former PR guy? Do recall his PR routine? Well let me remind you:

1) Fair Catchside

2) step, side-step, look upfield, side-step, look for a soft patch of grass, fall down

Banks adds a dynamic element to the PR game and that's a plus for field position and feel position wins games

In general i like our moves.

I like keeping Keiland Williams he reminds me of another successful Shanahan RB-Travis Henry

I like the Logan Paulsen move because he's young and is a better blocker then Yoder.

I like that we kept Young b/c imo Seller's blocking was starting to slip.

I like that we kept 6 WRs b/c we have a lot of questions marks and there is safety in having depth.

I really like that we kept a young but hungry vet like Roydell Williams.

All things considered he's our most accomplished WR after Joey and Moss and imo there's no way Joey stays healthy for an entire season; having come off 2 injury plagued Roydell is a uniquely motivated player and you figure he'll be ready to show that he can still play.

I like that we kept Armstrong another WR with top flight speed for McNabb to target

I was surprised that we traded Tryon and kept Westbrook,

Why is the word initial in the title? Can I just give impressions? :silly:

A little surprised about a few offensive cuts. Defensively, I feel like looking back on the season, we'll be posting how much we hate Jim Haslett for ruining our defense. Jarmon had huge potential at 4-3 DE. Our LB's were solid in a 4-3 set. Now we've got guys transitioning, playing new positions, out of position. This team isn't built for 3-4 right now, IMO. This is just my thought on the matter.

Shanny has never really had a good eye for defense. I'm afraid that may remain the same this year. I guess time will tell..

I mean do you build up the personel and then make the scheme switch or do you make the scheme switch and then build up the personel as you go along? The last team I remember switching from the 4-3 to a 3-4 recently was Green Bay. And they definitely took the latter route.

Don't go around making assumptions unless you have the stats to prove it.

I'm pretty sure I've heard and read multiple, multiple times that we had the oldest roster in the NFL last year with an average age of 28 point something. I'm not seeing where we got any younger. Now maybe that's wrong and please show us if so.

Archived