Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SBNDC: Trent Williams Looks Right At Home In Washington

themurf

twilliams083110.jpg

(photo by Brian Murphy)

[Note: Every Tuesday I write a column for SB Nation DC. This is that column.]

When you root for a team often referred to as the NFL’s offseason champs, you become conditioned to splashy moves, overwhelming positivity and a constant barrage of headlines during the time of year when no actual games are played. That’s the life of Washington Redskins fans. You live and eventually, you learn to accept it.

This particular offseason has easily been the most intriguing since Joe Gibbs shocked everyone by putting his successful NASCAR career on the back burner and returning to the coaching ranks. Bruce Allen, Mike Shanahan and Donovan McNabb represent clear upgrades over Vinny Cerrato, Jim Zorn and Jason Campbell, so for that reason alone, the Redskins should be more competitive week in and week out. They might not win double digit games in 2010, but they’ll at least resemble a professionally run organization and take the field each week with a chance at victory.

For my money though, the biggest addition this offseason has to be rookie tackle Trent Williams. After a decade of ignorance by the Redskins braintrust, Allen stepped in and finally addressed the offensive line – using the fourth overall pick on the Oklahoma standout.

The move represented the first time a Redskins first rounder was used on an offensive lineman since 2000, when the team selected a tackle out of Alabama named Chris Samuels. Even though Samuels became a perennial Pro Bowler at one of the most vital positions in football, Cerrato and friends apparently didn’t feel that offensive linemen sold season tickets. So they continually focused their high draft picks on flashier positions and prayed the line held together in spite of them.

If McNabb is going to stay healthy this year, which isn’t guaranteed, he’ll need improved play from Washington’s offensive line. Getting guys like Stephon Heyer and Chad Rinehart away from the football field is a good start, but adding a bona fide talent to protect the blind side was key.

With Samuels retiring this offseason, the team was in dire need of a successor. By all accounts, they’ve found him.

During training camp, it was readily apparent that Williams was gifted. The rookie had more natural athletic ability and agility than anyone at 6-5 and 318 lbs. should. He just needed his head to catch up with his body. Once he gets his responsibilities down in this high-powered Shanahan offense, ‘Skins fans are confident he’ll solidify the position for the foreseeable future.

But here’s the funny thing: even though Williams has fared well for much of this preseason, he’s not in a hurry to pat himself on the back. The kid is staying hungry and humble – two traits you love to see in a rookie.

“I think I did okay,” Williams said after his preseason debut against the Buffalo Bills. “Nothing amazing and I can definitely do better, but I think I did okay for my first game. I thought after I got the first play over with that I would settle down, but I was still nervous the whole game.”

And why is that, you ask?

“As long as McNabb is in there, I was walking on egg shells,” Williams said. “He’s so vital to our franchise. We don’t want nobody to lay a finger on him.”

Click here for full article.

“As long as McNabb is in there, I was walking on egg shells,” Williams said. “He’s so vital to our franchise. We don’t want nobody to lay a finger on him.”

Loved hearing him say that after the Buffalo game...LOVED IT.

Having the Shanahan duo as mentors is the best thing that could have happened for this kid IMO, looking for great things from him for years to come. Thanks Murf as always!!!

I loved what I saw from Williams (and the entire line) in the first half of that Jets game. They had an attitude and an edge that really showed me that they were fighting for one another and their QB. It was really cool to see. I hope these guys forge some camaraderie and can keep the core together for years!

Edit: Regarding Williams specifically...if (HUGE IF still, I know) he pans out into a good LT we have to really take a step back and be thankful. We will have had two good-great LTs from the draft and might have to acknowledge that we do get fortunate from time to time with draft picks. You couldn't ask for a better career than what we got from Samuels. If Williams can even approach that, we'd be very fortunate in that department!

To be honest, i hated this pick when it first happened. I wanted Okung. But man was i wrong. If this kid plays like this for the rest of his career, id be happy, but he is only going to get better and better. Guess thats why they dont pay me to make draft choices lol.

To be honest, i hated this pick when it first happened. I wanted Okung. But man was i wrong. If this kid plays like this for the rest of his career, id be happy, but he is only going to get better and better. Guess thats why they dont pay me to make draft choices lol.

Im not gonna say I hated the pick, but I definitely wanted Okung. And i was even more concerned after he was introduced to the press, as I mistook his initial shyness for lack of confidence. Im glad I have no idea what Im talking about. Ive been so impressed w Trent so far.

Im not gonna say I hated the pick, but I definitely wanted Okung. And i was even more concerned after he was introduced to the press, as I mistook his initial shyness for lack of confidence. Im glad I have no idea what Im talking about. Ive been so impressed w Trent so far.

My thoughts as well. Crazy what happens when you have competent football minds running the show instead of reacting to our every mood swing, eh? :)

The difference between you and a vast majority of 'Skins fans is your honesty. I, like you, thought I wanted Okung more than Williams. He was the safer pick, and let's be real - the Redskins rarely draft offensive linemen, so safer was ideal.

But Williams has been everything I hope he would be and more. He was labeled very athletic, but raw. He was tagged with questionable work ethic and bad practice habits. Since his arrival, he has been driven and spends as much time breaking down film as he does on the practice field.

With Samuels leaving, he's been exactly what the doctor ordered. We're lucky to have the guy on our favorite football team.

Great read. I don't know where the speculation of his bad work ethic came from, but obviously it was pretty far off. I love his work ethic and perhaps what I love most is his protectiveness. Not only doesn't he want to give up sacks, but he wants to truly protect the QB. Pretty much exactly the time of mentality you are looking for in your LT.

The difference between you and a vast majority of 'Skins fans is your honesty. I, like you, thought I wanted Okung more than Williams. He was the safer pick, and let's be real - the Redskins rarely draft offensive linemen, so safer was ideal.

But Williams has been everything I hope he would be and more. He was labeled very athletic, but raw. He was tagged with questionable work ethic and bad practice habits. Since his arrival, he has been driven and spends as much time breaking down film as he does on the practice field.

With Samuels leaving, he's been exactly what the doctor ordered. We're lucky to have the guy on our favorite football team.

Up until I heard "Trent Silverback Williams" I did not think we were going to take him. I simply wasn't impressed by the scouting report and thought he was a 2nd rounder.

Of course I talked myself into the pick afterwards. However Trent's performance is whats changed my mind.

Dont feel bad.. I wanted Eric Berry. heh.. :doh:

I'm so glad we drafted Trent :) It's gonna be boring, no longer drafting in the top 10.

And why is that, you ask?

If only we could get Larry Johnson to feel this way

Archived