Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DMN: Taylor: Cowboys win, but offense is awful in every way

tr1

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/football/cowboys/stories/082210dnspocowchat.77ea73a1.html

Column by JEAN-JACQUES TAYLOR / The Dallas Morning News

SAN DIEGO – The Cowboys' starters scored their first touchdown of the preseason Saturday night against San Diego.

So what?

Anybody who watched the game knows the offense stunk. Maybe you'd describe it as putrid. Or atrocious.

Then there's my personal favorite: raggedy.

As in: The running game was raggedy, as was the passing game. When Roy Williams wasn't slipping and falling on a route as the ball sailed over his head, then Miles Austin was dropping a pass or Tony Romo sits to pee was throwing the ball to spots where there weren't any receivers.

Except for one pass – a nifty back-shoulder fade to Austin that resulted in a 9-yard touchdown – there wasn't much good to say about the first-team offense.

For those of you who desire something positive, how about this: The offensive struggles can't be blamed on third-string tackle Robert Brewster, who started because of injuries to Marc Colombo and Alex Barron.

That's about it.

In three possessions, the starters totaled 49 yards, three first downs and one touchdown. They ran just 17 plays, far fewer than the stated goal of 30-35 plays by head coach Wade Phillips and offensive coordinator Jason Garrett.

If rookie safety Barry Church hadn't somehow allowed San Diego quarterback Philip Rivers to tackle him at the end of an 80-yard fumble return, the first-team offense wouldn't have scored.

"Each play it seemed we had someone doing something wrong," Romo sits to pee said. "I made a mistake, someone on the O-line made one, a receiver. We all have to pick it up, go back and correct what we did wrong."

The Cowboys appeared overmatched by San Diego's defense, as evidenced by their 2.7-yard average on seven carries and Romo sits to pee's average of 2.7 yards per pass attempt. The biggest indicator occurred on third-and-1 in the second quarter, when Garrett opted for a sprint-out pass instead of running behind massive Leonard Davis.

What's the point of having a massive offensive line if you can't run it on third-and-1? Especially since Marion Barber had just gained 9 yards on a second-down sweep.

Then again, Garrett might still be scarred from San Diego's goal-line stand last season, when the Chargers stopped Barber on three consecutive carries from the 1 in a 20-17 win over the Cowboys.

This offense has looked out of sync much of the preseason, whether we're talking about the Cowboys' performance inside the 20 during the first two games or their overall ineffectiveness against the Chargers.

A year ago after three preseason games, the Cowboys' first unit had four touchdowns and a field goal in 11 possessions. In seven possessions this preseason, Dallas has one touchdown and two field goals.

Some would argue that Jerry Jones' decision to tour America during training camp has worn out his team. After all, the Cowboys have played in three time zones since Aug. 9, and they have been in San Antonio, Canton (Ohio), Irving, Oxnard and San Diego in the last 15 days.

Whatever the reason, Garrett and Romo sits to pee had better quickly dissect the problem.

Yes, it hurts to lose Colombo and left guard Kyle Kosier, but neither will miss the season. Every NFL team has injury issues. If it's not the quarterback or a Pro Bowl-caliber player, no one wants to hear any whining about it.

Good teams overcome injuries. This team still has plenty of skilled offensive players. It should be performing better than it is.

We all know the preseason isn't about wins and losses, so it remains too early to panic, though concern is allowed.:rolleyes: The preseason is about individual development and growth.

When that happens, if a team is talented enough, the wins and losses will take care of themselves. After all, the game plans, preparation and intensity of the preseason don't come close to matching those of the regular season.

But the Cowboys, a team with Super Bowl aspirations, should be playing much better no matter how the players and coaches spin it after their raggedy performance in San Diego.

Hey, lookie...a dose of reality from a pukeville columnist.

If anyone read only the posts from puke fans here in ATN, we'd be putting Romo sits to pee in a limo to the Hall of Fame induction ceremony...:ols:

Reality is what it is.

Can we finally get some objectivity from other than that tiny minority of puke fans who come here.

And, many wonder why we can't take these posters seriously.

The pukes are a disaster right now.

Hey, lookie...a dose of reality from a pukeville columnist.

If anyone read only the posts from puke fans here in ATN, we'd be putting Romo sits to pee in a limo to the Hall of Fame induction ceremony...:ols:

Reality is what it is.

Can we finally get some objectivity from other than that tiny minority of puke fans who come here.

And, many wonder why we can't take these posters seriously.

The pukes are a disaster right now.

Tr1 requesting anyone to be objective = priceless :ols:

But please, keep digging up more Cowboys articles, post them, and do that trademark :stir: trol..(ahem, excuse me)...genius master followup post thing that you do.

Yes, back to the topic. The Cowboys starting offense have stunk it up this preseason. No doubt about it. Wait, I was just told that it was impossible for Cowboys fans to be objective, so either I'm a liar, or I'm not a fan at all. But since I'm all confused and dumb-founded, I must be a Cowboys fan. Ah, that's much better...what?!

Yes, back to the topic. The Cowboys starting offense have stunk it up this preseason. No doubt about it. Wait, I was just told that it was impossible for Cowboys fans to be objective, so either I'm a liar, or I'm not a fan at all. But since I'm all confused and dumb-founded, I must be a Cowboys fan. Ah, that's much better...what?!

Well, that's one.

I'd direct you to this thread to understand why I think most puke fans are hapless homers:

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?t=330099

See what I mean?

How is it possible to have a decent conversation with most of your crowd when they're under the belief that your first half last night was good?

And, I'm serious.

Tr1 requesting anyone to be objective = priceless :ols:

But please, keep digging up more Cowboys articles, post them, and do that trademark :stir: trol..(ahem, excuse me)...genius master followup post thing that you do.

VCD, why do you keep repeating how tr1 is trolling in every one of your posts? It's getting pretty annoying.

Well, that's one.

I'd direct you to this thread to understand why I think most puke fans are hapless homers:

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?t=330099

See what I mean?

How is it possible to have a decent conversation with most of your crowd when they're under the belief that your first half last night was good?

And, I'm serious.

It's the same phenomenon you'll see on any message board. If the final score is a win, most fans will ignore the 95% of crap and focus on the 5% that won the game. I personally thought the Cowboys played like crap and got manhandled by the Chargers when it counted the most.

It's the same phenomenon you'll see on any message board. If the final score is a win, most fans will ignore the 95% of crap and focus on the 5% that won the game.

Well, that might be the case on a home-team board, but on the board of an opposition rival?

I personally thought the Cowboys played like crap and got manhandled by the Chargers when it counted the most.

Ah, progress.

Now, let's draw this out a bit. I thought Romo sits to pee's inaccuracy was because he was rushed (o-line), no running game (o-line) and lack of effort (WRs).

Did you see it that way?

Oh, and the defense looked pretty bad, too against the SD first team.

Ah, progress.

Now, let's draw this out a bit. I thought Romo sits to pee's inaccuracy was because he was rushed (o-line), no running game (o-line) and lack of effort (WRs).

Did you see it that way?

Oh, and the defense looked pretty bad, too against the SD first team.

I can agree that there are o-line and WR issues (cut RW - worthless!!), but I do think there is something else going on with Romo sits to pee. I'm sure you'll fill me in on the tabloid stuff, but yeah, he is just off right now.

I was surprised by the way the Cowboys got manhandled physically. The Chargers definitely came to play. And they are probably just a better team overall.

Only Redskins fans and media could look at the Dallas offense and seriously think their season is going to be a struggle.

Unbelievable the depths they sink to.

I guarantee (barring major injuries) a top 10 offense this year....any takers?

Otherwise...spare me the drivel.

It's the same phenomenon you'll see on any message board. If the final score is a win, most fans will ignore the 95% of crap and focus on the 5% that won the game. I personally thought the Cowboys played like crap and got manhandled by the Chargers when it counted the most.

Yes, and your first reaction to tr1 pointing out that the Cowboys played like crap and got manhandled was to deflect from the valid criticism of the Cowboys and instead throw up McNabb's QB rating and the Redskins' score from their game, and then thrown in a jab at tr1 while you were at it:

It would be nice to remind him about 3-23 and 54.3, but that would be against ATN regulations and even if it wasn't, he would have no clue what you were talking about.

How hard would it have been, really, to just simply admit on that other thread that, yep, the Cowboys played like crap and got manhandled? No, far more Cowboys-fan-ish to ignore the "reality" tr1 keeps mentioning and instead deflect and ignore. There's a reason bubba kept posting those "hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil" pics after awhile...it just became easier lol.

Only Redskins fans and media could look at the Dallas offense and seriously think their season is going to be a struggle.

You can always spare yourself the "drivel" by frequenting another board.

You can always spare yourself the "drivel" by frequenting another board.

And miss this comedy act?

Nothing is more entertaining to me...lol.

Can't wait to bring all of these threads back up mid season. It is becoming sort of a tradition for me.

The Cowboys' starters scored their first touchdown of the preseason Saturday night against San Diego.

So what?

Anybody who watched the game knows the offense stunk. Maybe you'd describe it as putrid. Or atrocious.

Then there's my personal favorite: raggedy.

As in: The running game was raggedy, as was the passing game. When Roy Williams wasn't slipping and falling on a route as the ball sailed over his head, then Miles Austin was dropping a pass or Tony Romo sits to pee was throwing the ball to spots where there weren't any receivers.

Obviously this writer didn't watch McNabb, or else he'd actually be praising the Cowboys' offense right now, and especially Romo sits to pee :yes:...

In three possessions, the starters totaled 49 yards, three first downs and one touchdown. They ran just 17 plays, far fewer than the stated goal of 30-35 plays by head coach Wade Phillips and offensive coordinator Jason Garrett.

Actually, it was in FOUR possessions lol :D...

If rookie safety Barry Church hadn't somehow allowed San Diego quarterback Philip Rivers to tackle him at the end of an 80-yard fumble return, the first-team offense wouldn't have scored.

In other words..."gift TD" lol :cool:

"Each play it seemed we had someone doing something wrong," Romo sits to pee said. "I made a mistake, someone on the O-line made one, a receiver. We all have to pick it up, go back and correct what we did wrong."

No, no, no...you guys just decided to concentrate on turnovers and red zone offense, that's all. Romo sits to pee should have said "Voila...mission accomplished" afterwards. :yes:

Some would argue that Jerry Jones' decision to tour America during training camp has worn out his team. After all, the Cowboys have played in three time zones since Aug. 9, and they have been in San Antonio, Canton (Ohio), Irving, Oxnard and San Diego in the last 15 days.

No way...the Dallas trainers are the best in the league, and the Cowboys' players would be in FINE shape to last a measly 2 weeks of travel. Now, all the OTHER teams in the league which obviously overwork their players, those teams would have players underperforming or becoming injured if they had to face a whopping two road games in 15 days (!!!)...

Good teams overcome injuries. This team still has plenty of skilled offensive players. It should be performing better than it is.

Which, of course, is one of the reasons I started my thread asking Dallas fans how concerned (if at all) were they about the dearth of scoring this preseason so far...it's not because I was asking anyone to extrapolate 2 "meaningless" preseason games (whoops...make that 3 "meaningless" preseason games lol :D) into an entire season and make a prediction...it was because of what this writer said here: that Dallas is supposed to have "plenty of skilled offensive players", so you would expect them to be performing better than they have been so far.

We all know the preseason isn't about wins and losses, so it remains too early to panic, though concern is allowed.

Not in the ATN, apparently lol :ols:...

But the Cowboys, a team with Super Bowl aspirations, should be playing much better no matter how the players and coaches..

...or fans lol...

...spin it after their raggedy performance in San Diego.

Obviously this writer didn't watch McNabb, or else he'd actually be praising the Cowboys' offense right now, and especially Romo sits to pee

I thought McNabb played pretty well. Other than the interception and missing Armstrong deep, he was pretty much spot on. Not his faults our recievers dropped a ton of balls right in their hands.

Back on topic, the Cowboys have played two good Defenses so far in Cincy and San Diego and Defense is usually further along than Offense at this stage of the game. The Cowboys have also been pretty consistent offensively the last few seasons so I wouldn't be too worried if I'm a Cowboy fan, but the OL will be an issue against good front sevens like the Chargers.

Your lecture has been noted. If you have a problem, perhaps you should take it up with the mods.

Well, I'm here, and I'm telling you to not post in TR1 threads if all you have is "you're a troll".

Want to post? Post. Let us mod the board and decide who is trolling and who is not.

We'll make this the final word on the topic.

I'll take that bet. Name the parameters and let's come to a concensus. I don't think the cowboys offense will be top ten this year.

Well, I'm here, and I'm telling you to not post in TR1 threads if all you have is "you're a troll".

Want to post? Post. Let us mod the board and decide who is trolling and who is not.

We'll make this the final word on the topic.

I didn't have a problem with criticism concerning the Cowboys offensive play against the Chargers. Truthfully, it was tr1's comments about "puke fans" in his follow up post, which has absolutely nothing to do with the article, that drew my attention.

Could I have ignored it? Sure. But it's not like I'm all offended or anything. I dig tr1's schtick and any comments I make about it is only in jest. Tr1 knows this (at least I hope he does).

Archived