Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DMN: Taylor: Cowboys win, but offense is awful in every way

tr1

How is a Redskin fan trolling on a Redskin messageboard? If you don't like what you see, go find the Cowboy messageboard. What do you expect to find on a rivals' board?

Im going to bring it up again and I think you and a few other posters agreed with me, TR1 posts a lot of Cowboys articles and remarks in them to draw the attention. it brings in traffic and i notice since hes been back, this section picked up activity.

What does TR1 say about the Cowboys, the same thing over and over and over and over. So either hes trolling and looking for a fight, which both sides provoke it, or someone one has him up to it. Either way someone has got to say "this is all for traffic" or, "Come on TR1 you post more Cowboys articles to get them in here THAN you do any other team and I still yet to see much Seahawk or Vikings or Patriots articles in this section.

Im going to bring it up again and I think you and a few other posters agreed with me, TR1 posts a lot of Cowboys articles and remarks in them to draw the attention. it brings in traffic and i notice since hes been back, this section picked up activity.

What does TR1 say about the Cowboys, the same thing over and over and over and over. So either hes trolling and looking for a fight, which both sides provoke it, or someone one has him up to it. Either way someone has got to say "this is all for traffic" or, "Come on TR1 you post more Cowboys articles to get them in here THAN you do any other team and I still yet to see much Seahawk or Vikings or Patriots articles in this section.

Dam, if only you'd read my post earlier in this thread. :(

This is a Redskins board. We love articles that make the Cowboys look like garbage, I mean seriously, what do you expect? This is what rivals do, give each other ****.

Mr Jones, I disagree that your offense was just as bad in preseason last year. Just giving a cursory glance to the stats of Romo sits to pee and Julius Jones from last preseason tells me that things were running much more smoothly after preseason week 2. In fact, if anything they should be running better now considering familiarity amongst the players and the fact that you've had that extra game this year.

Mr Jones, I disagree that your offense was just as bad in preseason last year. Just giving a cursory glance to the stats of Romo sits to pee and Julius Jones from last preseason tells me that things were running much more smoothly after preseason week 2. In fact, if anything they should be running better now considering familiarity amongst the players and the fact that you've had that extra game this year.

I don't know what stats you're looking at, but Julius Jones has been a Seahawk since before the 2008 season.

I just went and perused last years box scores at ESPN, and it looks like they were a little more successful, but I can only find one TD pass for Romo sits to pee, and it looks like he only lead 2 TD drives in 3 games. Is this year a little worse? Sure, I suppose so. Last year, I don't recall the first team ever leaving the field with a deficit. The 2 games they lost were lost by the 2nd and 3rd + teams.

The Cowboys had a different mindset in preseason, tho. They were trying to replace TO. They were determined to prove they weren't the team that lost 44-6 to Philidelphia. I know in ATN-land, the Cowboys are Super Bowl favorites every year, but in the rest of America, they were picked 3rd in the division and about 19th in most power rankings. I think they're a lot more confident this year (not saying that's a good thing), but its just different. They've got different objectives for these preseason games. For instance, one was to evaluate Doug Free. There's a big fat check-mark next to that one.

In any case, preseason performances don't guarantee anything once the real games start. I think this team has a lot of the same liabilities they had at the end of last season, they just have to figure out ways to overcome those when the games are for real.

I don't know what stats you're looking at, but Julius Jones has been a Seahawk since before the 2008 season.

C'mon man, you know I meant to say Felix. Let's not get all silly.

I just went and perused last years box scores at ESPN, and it looks like they were a little more successful, but I can only find one TD pass for Romo sits to pee, and it looks like he only lead 2 TD drives in 3 games. Is this year a little worse? Sure, I suppose so. Last year, I don't recall the first team ever leaving the field with a deficit. The 2 games they lost were lost by the 2nd and 3rd + teams.

The Cowboys had a different mindset in preseason, tho. They were trying to replace TO. They were determined to prove they weren't the team that lost 44-6 to Philidelphia. I know in ATN-land, the Cowboys are Super Bowl favorites every year, but in the rest of America, they were picked 3rd in the division and about 19th in most power rankings. I think they're a lot more confident this year (not saying that's a good thing), but its just different. They've got different objectives for these preseason games. For instance, one was to evaluate Doug Free. There's a big fat check-mark next to that one.

In any case, preseason performances don't guarantee anything once the real games start. I think this team has a lot of the same liabilities they had at the end of last season, they just have to figure out ways to overcome those when the games are for real.

All that is well and great, but my point was simply that a quick glance at the stats from last preseason showed that the offense was better a year ago. Romo sits to pee was a lot more efficient and Felix was loads more prodcutive regardless of what any goals where. I'm sure nobody sat around before the games this year and said "as long as we get a good look at Doug Free the rest of the offense can totally suck because we were so good last year" The overall goal every year is for the starters to find a rhythm and for younger guys to earn spots on the team.

I'm not gonna sit here and say that the offense is gonna suck based on a few preseason drives, but I am gonna discuss how they aren't looking good on offense so far. Sometimes it's not that easy to flip the switch. Don't forget that 13-3 season were most Cowboys fans were convinced that switch would flip right back on in the post season.

Armchair, thanks for the honesty. I know that a compliment from me means nothing, but what you just said can't be disputed by anyone who has watched the Cowboys this preseason. The Cowboys offense hasn't looked very good in the games played so far. I have to totally agree with that. No excuses from me.

And apologies from me for being coy the other day. Peace.

No hard feelings from my end.

Just keep in mind that first and foremost the ATN is for Redskins fans. So even if tr1 posts 10 articles a day that paint the Cowboys in a negative light, it's not trolling. Cowboys fans are not the intended audience. Redskins fans are the intended audience in the ATN. If you remember that one sentence, you'll avoid confusion in the future.

All other fans are welcome to comment, of course, just don't go around accusing a Redskins fan of trolling a Redskins messageboard with negative articles/comments about the Cowboys or any other NFCE team.

The Cowboys had a different mindset in preseason, tho. They were trying to replace TO. They were determined to prove they weren't the team that lost 44-6 to Philidelphia.

So they're more than content to be the team that lost 34-3 to the Vikings, then? lol...

I know in ATN-land, the Cowboys are Super Bowl favorites every year, but in the rest of America, they were picked 3rd in the division and about 19th in most power rankings.

2009 would be the ONLY year out of the last 5 years that the Cowboys were not picked to go to the Super Bowl by--at the very least--several well-known, national sports journalists, if not national mags and publications. So it's not just here in "ATN-land". But I will say that only in the minds of Cowboys fans are the Cowboys NOT picked to be the annual favorites for the Super Bowl. Hell, even Romo sits to pee himself said as much last offseason, when he said it felt weird that year not having the press writing about them being Super Bowl favorites from the conference.

I think they're a lot more confident this year (not saying that's a good thing), but its just different. They've got different objectives for these preseason games. For instance, one was to evaluate Doug Free. There's a big fat check-mark next to that one.

Evaluating Free doesn't explain away the dearth of scoring, especially if a "big fat check-mark" belongs next to his name. Not saying Dallas is gonna be scoring nothing but field goals in the regular season (no matter how much some Cowboys fans here want to drag out that straw man argument lol)...but if the offense does come out looking flatter than usual I won't be surprised.

Actually they should be trying to figure out ways to overcome those liabilities before the games are real.

So they're more than content to be the team that lost 34-3 to the Vikings, then? lol...

Well, that's actually a worrisome thought. But this seems to be a team that still feels like they proved everyone wrong at the end of last year, winning their last 3 regular season games to win to the division and winning a playoff game. Again, I didn't say it was a good thing.

2009 would be the ONLY year out of the last 5 years that the Cowboys were not picked to go to the Super Bowl by--at the very least--several well-known, national sports journalists, if not national mags and publications. So it's not just here in "ATN-land". But I will say that only in the minds of Cowboys fans are the Cowboys NOT picked to be the annual favorites for the Super Bowl. Hell, even Romo sits to pee himself said as much last offseason, when he said it felt weird that year not having the press writing about them being Super Bowl favorites from the conference.
Well, as disappointing as they have been in December and the playoffs, they have finished with a winning record in each of the past 4 seasons. The Cowboys are a flagship franchise of the NFL. Love 'em or hate 'em, they will be talked about. That translates to hype in the good years.
Evaluating Free doesn't explain away the dearth of scoring, especially if a "big fat check-mark" belongs next to his name. Not saying Dallas is gonna be scoring nothing but field goals in the regular season (no matter how much some Cowboys fans here want to drag out that straw man argument lol)...but if the offense does come out looking flatter than usual I won't be surprised.
We're not too far apart on this, then. The first team O has had the ball 7 times. They've rushed 17 times for 57 yards, which is 3.35 ypc. Romo sits to pee is 12 of 27 for 134 yds, 1 TD and 1 INT. They've had 2 '3 and outs' and 3 scoring drives (1 TD, 2 FGs). Romo sits to pee's been sacked 3 times, all on the same drive. Good numbers? Not at all. A dearth of scoring? OK, yeah, I wish they'd scored more. And with 5 starters injured right now, this does seem like a little bit of a lost preseason. They may struggle, particularly on offense, in September. So we're seeing the same thing, we're just putting a different spin on it.
Actually they should be trying to figure out ways to overcome those liabilities before the games are real.
Well, that's the trick, isn't it? Take the LB blitzing up the middle, for example. Minnesota did that to devastating effect in the playoff game. SD did it and Romo sits to pee quickly burped up an INT. So the Cowboys need to figure out how to handle that pressure, without showing Haslett how they're going to do it so he doesn't have a chance to adjust the game plan for 9/12.

Well, that's actually a worrisome thought. But this seems to be a team that still feels like they proved everyone wrong at the end of last year, winning their last 3 regular season games to win to the division and winning a playoff game. Again, I didn't say it was a good thing.

I think they proved everyone wrong...that year. Whether or not they've actually become a team that can win down the stretch when they need to is yet to be seen. We had a healthy debate here in the ATN forum about Eli Manning and whether or not he had "turned the corner" after his really good playoff run and winning the SB...people still wanted it to be proven again the next year (and the next, actually lol)...I see the same thing with the Cowboys.

Well, as disappointing as they have been in December and the playoffs, they have finished with a winning record in each of the past 4 seasons. The Cowboys are a flagship franchise of the NFL. Love 'em or hate 'em, they will be talked about. That translates to hype in the good years.

True, but I'm used to Cowboys fans claiming that the sports mediots constantly predicting Dallas to go to the Super Bowl over the years is just in the minds of homerific Redskins fans.

We're not too far apart on this, then. The first team O has had the ball 7 times. They've rushed 17 times for 57 yards, which is 3.35 ypc. Romo sits to pee is 12 of 27 for 134 yds, 1 TD and 1 INT. They've had 2 '3 and outs' and 3 scoring drives (1 TD, 2 FGs). Romo sits to pee's been sacked 3 times, all on the same drive. Good numbers? Not at all. A dearth of scoring? OK, yeah, I wish they'd scored more. And with 5 starters injured right now, this does seem like a little bit of a lost preseason. They may struggle, particularly on offense, in September. So we're seeing the same thing, we're just putting a different spin on it.

I prefer the more negative spin lol :D...

Y'all might be interested in the poll on the Dallas Morning News Cowboys Blog. http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/

Seems Cowboys fans in general aren't that concerned.

Of course not. Cowboy fans have never been considered smart or savvy. I don't know what's worse, the refusal to accept reality, or the seemingly selective ignorance of the team's failures over the past decade+?

3 games? Move it up to 5. They should still be able to end the season with top 10 numbers if they're as awesome as you say.

4 games, and that's final. I don't think the Colts or Saints are doing much without their qbs for a quarter of the season.

For injuries to other starters we first need to decide how the starters are determined, then we can talk number of starts versus number of starters.

I'm open to this...Basically, I can post the starting lineup which would include guys like Dez and Felix because they are considered important cogs to our offense.

Also, no letter of the law stuff. If a guy plays but doesn't start, it shouldn't count towards injury issues.

Agreed.

I won't chince...fair is fair.

Nothing can be predicated on other aspects of the games.

Not sure I understand this...

For them to be top ten in offense, they have to end the regular season top ten in both yardage and points per game.

I was only referring to yardage. They finished 2 last year, so I expect them to be able to stay in the top ten. Scoring, that is still a weak point in my mind. If your fine only doing yardage, then we can proceed. I am not as confident in our top 10 scoring offense.,..

Still have to discuss what we would be betting...

4 games, and that's final. I don't think the Colts or Saints are doing much without their qbs for a quarter of the season.

I'm open to this...Basically, I can post the starting lineup which would include guys like Dez and Felix because they are considered important cogs to our offense.

Agreed.

I won't chince...fair is fair.

Not sure I understand this...

I was only referring to yardage. They finished 2 last year, so I expect them to be able to stay in the top ten. Scoring, that is still a weak point in my mind. If your fine only doing yardage, then we can proceed. I am not as confident in our top 10 scoring offense.,..

Still have to discuss what we would be betting...

If you're going to fill the bet with injury requirements, then the bet should be for true top ten offense. In my mind that's points and yards. If you're only talking about yardage and were only referring to yardage when you offered all takers to the bet, then we don't have much to talk about.

4 games for Romo sits to pee is fine.

Offensive starters should include 11 and only 11 players, no extras that you perceive to be starter capable. If a player is replaced during the season, ala Bryant for Williams, the count for missed games starts over for that player. If Williams misses 3 games and then Bryant becomes the declared starter (after Williams is healthy) and then misses 2 more that shouldn't count towards the total.

Top ten categories should be points and yardage. After all it is the goal of the offense to score points, regardless of yards gained.

Losing players on other squads, i.e. all-pro defense players should have no bearing on the bet. That's what I meant.

Also, you made this claim while Kosier and Columbo were already injured. Any games they miss due to those injuries should not count towards any injured starters total. If they miss extra games due to set-backs or are re-injured, the count should start there.

Im not a big fan of stakes bets, but whatever you want to wager is fine with me.

If you're going to fill the bet with injury requirements, then the bet should be for true top ten offense. In my mind that's points and yards. If you're only talking about yardage and were only referring to yardage when you offered all takers to the bet, then we don't have much to talk about.

4 games for Romo sits to pee is fine.

Offensive starters should include 11 and only 11 players, no extras that you perceive to be starter capable. If a player is replaced during the season, ala Bryant for Williams, the count for missed games starts over for that player. If Williams misses 3 games and then Bryant becomes the declared starter (after Williams is healthy) and then misses 2 more that shouldn't count towards the total.

Top ten categories should be points and yardage. After all it is the goal of the offense to score points, regardless of yards gained.

Losing players on other squads, i.e. all-pro defense players should have no bearing on the bet. That's what I meant.

Also, you made this claim while Kosier and Columbo were already injured. Any games they miss due to those injuries should not count towards any injured starters total. If they miss extra games due to set-backs or are re-injured, the count should start there.

Im not a big fan of stakes bets, but whatever you want to wager is fine with me.

Sure, why not. I will agree to top 10 offense as you describe it here and the injury requirements.

Let just have a sig bet. Loser has to display the sig of the others choosing all offseason until preseason games start. Deal?

Take the LB blitzing up the middle, for example. Minnesota did that to devastating effect in the playoff game. SD did it and Romo sits to pee quickly burped up an INT. So the Cowboys need to figure out how to handle that pressure, without showing Haslett how they're going to do it so he doesn't have a chance to adjust the game plan for 9/12.

What happened to the pro bowl center? Seems like the rest of the teams found a weakness in Gerode.

Sure, why not. I will agree to top 10 offense as you describe it here and the injury requirements.

Let just have a sig bet. Loser has to display the sig of the others choosing all offseason until preseason games start. Deal?

Im good with most of the terms.

Sig bet. dallas must be top ten in points and yards on offense.

No injuries count except offensive injuries, in particular, Romo sits to pee cant miss more than 4 games.

Thats all fine.

11 starters, if more than 5 miss more than 5 games, bet is voided.

Kosier and Columbo start after their existing injuries.

If Romo sits to pee is out more than 4, bet is voided.

The sig bet should be for the start of the following season and run through the end of the year.

I've noticed you dont post much from SB to preseason. :)

Name the starters and we'll finalize the bet.

Archived