Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Grade everyones Fantasy Football teams here 2010

HoggLife

QBs - Matt Schaub' date=' Kevin Kolb

RBs - Michael Turner, Jamaal Charles, Darren Sproles, Jahvid Best, Jerious Norwood, Larry Johnson

WRs - Greg Jennings. Mike Sims-Walker, Percy Harvin, James Jones, Mohamed Massaquoi, Dexter McCluster

TE - Brent Celek, Marcedes Lewis

DST - Jets

K - Mason Crosby

[/quote']

You're a bit weak at the WR spot. You need to hope for one of those other guys to step up. There is potential there, just nothing definite. Got a good D and good 2 starters at RB. I like Jahvid Best, and Brent Celek. Good qb's and Defense.

Lack of WR depth drops yours down froma a A- to a B+ IMO

I am hoping to only have to use Kolb on Schaub's bye week. ;)

Right, so you didn't need to pick him. You could've picked up someone like Stafford later or maybe even McNabb or Palmer. Having 2 top QBs only helps in a 2 QB league. Otherwise you're wasting a good player every week by having to sit him. Now if Kolb starts out hot, you could have some trade bait.

Well you could've used a pick on Miles Austin in the mid-rounds if you didn't take a defense :cool:

Did you draft the Saints last year? What round? If you didn't draft them or picked them late, you made my point. I remember a game last year or the year before where I picked the 49ers defense off waivers for a week and they put up 39 points for me. You can play matchups with defenses instead of just picking one or using an early pick on one. Most of the time, the difference between the #1 defense and the #10 defense is like 30 or 40 points, which is like 3-4 points a game difference. So why spend a pick on one in the 10th round, when you can get one that's just as productive in the last round?

You take guys like Peterson, Johnson, Rodgers, Johnson, etc. in the 1st round because they are by far better than most at their positions. There isn't a big diference betweens defenses.

Care to guess the point per game differential between Drew Brees and Donovan McNabb?

I already said that I didn't draft New Orleans last year, but, again, it proves nothing more than the fact that I also didn't draft Sidney Rice last year and managed to pick him up sometime in September. There will always be surprises. But I've played the waiver wire game with defenses for years. Last year was the first time I ever had a defense that was worth sticking with for most of the season, and it made a huge difference. Now I don't ever plan to avoid drafting a defense again.

There really is barely any difference between your argument and an equivalent argument about tight ends. You can drop and add tight ends depending on the matchups of the week and wind up with average production out of your TE slot for the season, somewhere in the neighborhood of 500-600 yards and 4-6 touchdowns. The point differential between that and, say, Tony Gonzalez, who will probably put up something like 800 yards and 8 touchdowns this year, is miniscule when divided by 16. In fact, it meets your exact requirements of supposedly being irrelevant - roughly 3-4 points per game. Not only that, but you'll occasionally strike gold in the last rounds or in free agency. I was in a league last year in which I happened to drop whoever I had drafted and pick up Vernon Davis. Each of your own requirements to ignore a position are met - but I doubt you'd argue that it's a good idea to wait until the 16th or 17th round to draft your starting tight end.

Right there are a few positions where you don't have to draft people early. TE is another, unless you can get one of the top 3 or so you can hold off. The positions that you should draft early and often are RB and WR. That's usually where surprises are and where you can use trade bait. I never draft more than 1 kicker, defense, or tight end.

I mean there isn't a right or wrong way to draft a team, but IMO I just don't value a defense the way I value RB or WR depth. You can win a league by picking a defense early or you can win by picking a defense late. I won a league by using a rotating defense most of the year, I've also done horrible in a league with a good defense.

I have Jamaal Charles as my #2/#3 RB right now. I have MJD and Greene as well.

I am very thin at WR. Would you trade Jamaal Charles for Roddy White - straight up? I have pretty standard scoring and was offered this today.

Here is my sucky Dynasty team which has been crippled by retirements and events. Really blew my last two picks T Jackson then Farve returns and Anthony Dixon then Westbrook signs). My Qbs and pedestrian RB corps are going to sink me.

QB (Warner had been my starter still finished last last year)

Hassleback

Leinert (Traded (2d pick this year for him - May Draft picks 1 and 2)

T Jackson (Drafted with last of 4 picks this year after Farve announced retirement)

RB

Ryan Mathews (1st pick this year)

Clinton Portis

Willie Parker

Jerome Harrsion

Darren Sproles

Anthony Dixon (3rd Pick)

WR

Wes Welker

Roddy White

Mike Wallace

Mohammed Mossequi

Donnie Avery

Lance Moore

TE

Chris Cooley

Fred Davis

K

Jason Elam (Retired!! no kicker for fist game for me thought I'd be able to trade but they preferred to pick Heyward Bey instead of getting Lance Moore - Bey ?????

D

Redskins

Drafted my brother's squad, 10-team league on Saturday. Be kind, I've been out of the fantasy game for a while.

QB - Phillip Rivers

RB - Michael Turner

RB - Shonn Greene

RB - Matt Forte

WR - Calvin Johnson

WR - Mike Sims-Walker

TE - Owen Daniels

K - Stephen Gostkowski

D/ST - Steelers

BE - Hakeem Nicks

BE - Santana Moss

BE - Kevin Kolb

BE - Jericho Cotchery

BE - Willis McGahee

BE - Mason Crosby

BE - Texans D

I think he's good, except for the receivers being a little soft on receivers.

Right there are a few positions where you don't have to draft people early. TE is another, unless you can get one of the top 3 or so you can hold off. The positions that you should draft early and often are RB and WR. That's usually where surprises are and where you can use trade bait. I never draft more than 1 kicker, defense, or tight end.

I mean there isn't a right or wrong way to draft a team, but IMO I just don't value a defense the way I value RB or WR depth. You can win a league by picking a defense early or you can win by picking a defense late. I won a league by using a rotating defense most of the year, I've also done horrible in a league with a good defense.

Oh, I absolutely wouldn't advocate drafting more than one defense or tight end. I've occasionally seen that done effectively, but I've also occasionally seen pocket kings beat pocket aces. The odds aren't in favor of that happening consistently, though. But that's my point with New Orleans - the odds aren't in favor of anyone luck-boxing their way into anything close to a New Orleans defense consistently. Same goes for a tight end who will put up several 100-yard or multiple-TD games.

Can you win a championship with waiver wire defenses? Absolutely. Can you win a championship with waiver wire tight ends? Sure. Can you win a championship with waiver wire quarterbacks? Of course it's possible. I'm talking about what decisions, in my opinion, make you more likely to win a championship. Not even using a draft pick on a kicker so you can use it to take a flyer on a young running back or receiver whose value might jump during preseason, then cutting your worst player right before the season starts to free up a weekly roster spot for a kicker, makes you more likely to win a championship. Drafting young backup running backs over old backup running backs makes you more likely to win a championship. And bumping down two of your flyer picks to take a top five TE and, yes, a top five defense makes you more likely to win a championship. You don't have to do either to win. But it helps.

I have Jamaal Charles as my #2/#3 RB right now. I have MJD and Greene as well.

I am very thin at WR. Would you trade Jamaal Charles for Roddy White - straight up? I have pretty standard scoring and was offered this today.

Are you kidding? With MJD and Greene? I'd be tripping over myself trying to accept that trade. Roddy White's potential is only increasing as Matt Ryan grows. And Thomas Jones is gonna steal a significant amount of carries - especially goal line carries - from Charles.

Who are all your RBs and WRs?

My WRs are weaaaaak IMO. So I am leaning towards the trade. The only down side is Sproles would be thrown into the Flex position.

RBs:

#1 MJD

#2 Greene

#3 Jamaal Charles

Bench - Sproles

Bench - LT

WRs:

#1 Mike Wallace

#2 Santana Moss

#3 Dez Bryant

Bench - Lee Evans

Bench - TJ Housh

Bech - Bernard Berrian

My WRs are weaaaaak IMO. So I am leaning towards the trade. The only down side is Sproles would be thrown into the Flex position.

RBs:

#1 MJD

#2 Greene

#3 Jamaal Charles

Bench - Sproles

Bench - LT

WRs:

#1 Mike Wallace

#2 Santana Moss

#3 Dez Bryant

Bench - Lee Evans

Bench - TJ Housh

Bech - Bernard Berrian

I'd do that and then drop Berrian and see if you can find any RBs on the waiver wire.

I'd do that and then drop Berrian and see if you can find any RBs on the waiver wire.

Pulled the trigger. No good RBs on the waiver wire. I will have to make a trade.

I have Cooley on my bench (it was an auction league and he was going for like $4 towards the end so I had to pick him up). I am going to try and package Cooley and Sproles into a deal.

Pulled the trigger. No good RBs on the waiver wire. I will have to make a trade.

I have Cooley on my bench (it was an auction league and he was going for like $4 towards the end so I had to pick him up). I am going to try and package Cooley and Sproles into a deal.

Sproles is only useful to the person who has Ryan Matthews. I haven't heard many people talking about Sproles at all this season. If Hightower is out there I'd try and get him.

I think he's good, except for the receivers being a little soft on receivers.

Yeah, I hate when my receivers are soft on receivers. :pfft:

I think you're selling yourself short, actually. I'm a little wary on Calvin Johnson, but there's no question that Detroit has given opposing defenses more to worry about with Jahvid Best and Nate Burleson, so Johnson should have more freedom to make plays. Plus, even though I don't think Matt Stafford has nearly the upside of a Matt Ryan or a Sam Bradford, he should definitely improve in his second year.

But you did a damn fine job with the backups. Hakeem Nicks is a great candidate to bust out in his second year, rather than the slightly more typical third year. And I know there's a wide range of opinions on Santana around here, but I'm very much in the camp that believes he's more likely to remind us of 2005 than 2009 with McNabb at QB.

You have two problems that are still dragging the roster down - one is Cotchery. Bleh. Not only is he a secondary target in a run-heavy offense with a young quarterback, but Santonio Holmes will be back after week four. I'd honestly be looking for a free agent replacement right now; if he's available, I'd absolutely rather have Devin Thomas. Thomas has the chance to be this year's Sidney Rice. Cotchery doesn't even have the chance to be last year's Cotchery. You could also wait and hope that Cotchery has a good game in September, then try to trade him to a WR-needy team for a sleeper backup who could break out in the second half of the season. Rookie running backs and young receivers are good targets here, as they often have very slow Septembers and don't turn the corner until October or November. Find one that's been disappointing in the early weeks and try to ship Cotchery over in exchange.

Your second problem is the fact that you have two defenses and two kickers. There's no good reason for this, and in a ten-team league, there should be a significant number of sleepers still available in free agency. I would say the same about Kolb, except there's a chance that he'll make a debut similar to Aaron Rodgers' or Chad Pennington's and your brother might end up wanting to start him whenever Rivers is going up against a tough defense. But the extra D and kicker are two roster spots that could be used much more effectively.

Yeah, I hate when my receivers are soft on receivers. :pfft:

Oi vey. The less I drink, the worse my typing/thinking gets. :doh:

You have two problems that are still dragging the roster down - one is Cotchery. Bleh. Not only is he a secondary target in a run-heavy offense with a young quarterback, but Santonio Holmes will be back after week four. I'd honestly be looking for a free agent replacement right now; if he's available, I'd absolutely rather have Devin Thomas. Thomas has the chance to be this year's Sidney Rice. Cotchery doesn't even have the chance to be last year's Cotchery.

Yeah, I didn't like the Cotchery pick at all, but unfortunately there was a run on receivers pretty early that I didn't quite keep up with. I wanted to dump him today after Jermichael Finley hit the waiver wire, and get some insurance for Daniels; but my bro didn't want to do it. (Jets fan.)

Devin11 might be a better option. But I doubt he'll do that either. He's already pissed that I gave him Santana. :ols:

Your second problem is the fact that you have two defenses and two kickers. There's no good reason for this, and in a ten-team league, there should be a significant number of sleepers still available in free agency. I would say the same about Kolb, except there's a chance that he'll make a debut similar to Aaron Rodgers' or Chad Pennington's and your brother might end up wanting to start him whenever Rivers is going up against a tough defense. But the extra D and kicker are two roster spots that could be used much more effectively.

I took the extra K and D because he's a pretty casual fantasy player. Very casual, actually. With what he's got, he can adjust his lineups, without worrying about waivers and trades too much.

And FWIW, I actually like Kolb, fantasy-wise. Especially getting him as late as I did....11th or 12th round, I think. Jackson is a star, and Maclin and Celek are nice compliments. There will surely be some growing pains, but I'm totally comfortable with Kolb being in there for a week during Rivers' bye. Though if Rivers goes down, he'll probably need to make a move.

Had my first live draft ever this weekend. It's a 12 team league and I was picking 9th. Let me know your thoughts.

QB- Donovan McNabb, Ben Roethlisberger

RB- Michael Turner, Knowshon Moreno, Justin Forsett, Matt Forte, Montarrio Hardesty

WR- Randy Moss, Greg Jennings, Vincent Jackson, Jacoby Jones

TE- Kellen Winslow

D- Philly

K- Graham Gano

Had my first live draft ever this weekend. It's a 12 team league and I was picking 9th. Let me know your thoughts.

RB- Michael Turner, Knowshon Moreno, Justin Forsett, Matt Forte, Montarrio Hardesty

TE- Kellen Winslow

D- Philly

K- Graham Gano

That's actually a really good team. Just better hope VJax plays this season and doesn't sit out.

TE- Kellen Winslow

D- Philly

K- Graham Gano

Looks great except for -- as much as I hate to admit it -- QB. Your backs and receivers are sick.

Just wondering when you said you had to draft 2 defenses. I dunno if that's a default ESPN setting but its annoying.

Nah, I didn't have to. Just wanted to make it easy for him. Like I said, he's a very casual fantasy player. With what he's got, he can adjust his lineups when he needs to and be set, without watching waivers much.

Archived