Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

All this talk of Sturridge when Lucas Leiva is your man. Practically unbeatable with him in the lineup.

There is a difference between "unbeatable" and winning though.

I do like Lucas - probably more than others do - well... definitely more than others do.  But you can't have he, Stevie, and Hendo on the pitch at the same time and expect goals unless you have a Suarez and Sturridge-esque combo out there.

when is sturridge back?

i'd like to see what that partnership brings with mario so that we know what we have or don't have in mario.

in terms of transfers for the reds, we spread our suarez cash over a ton of young up and coming players with potential. i don't want to see us spend $30m on three players ($10m each)- i'd want to see us spend that $30m on one stud that draws the attention of the opponents. we need quality now and not quantity (and i know rodgers needed more players to handle champions league play). i'm not sure who that quality is (higuan?)...

The VERY first move should of been to strengthen the weakest area of the team. Instead, we went in with the worst 'keeper in the League last year and the single worst long term 'keeper I've ever had the misfortune to watch in going on 4 decades of going the match. 

But the bolded part, for clarification, is my continued argument for Balotelli. (And man has he been getting some serious abuse from certain braindead sections of our support.). How can anyone judge him until he's played with a partner? It's a futile argument to say he's had his chances and he's not performed/ worked as a lone striker. Even a blind dead man knows you're NEVER gonna' get Mario working off the ball like Sturridge does. It's not his game. (Well, everyone bar BR who now has the nerve to say he doesn't fit his system after trotting him out week on week to the same failed results.). I'm not going to sit here and say Mario's been great. And I'm not going to sit here and say he hasn't been lazy at times and could of done a lot better. (He's exasperated me at times. Basle away springs to mind when he was continually just walking back onside.). But the criticism of his work rate has been WAY OTT down to him being an easy target for who he is. There's been games he's worked his socks off across the line and got no credit. Now, that's working in the wrong areas for this system and the lone role, but it's relevant as to the type of player he is. He isn't going to be pressuring defenders and constantly making runs into the box. But he will work hard wide coming in, floating around and playing off a target man. World class talent if happy and used correctly. Technically he's shown better than even Suarez for me in his limited time. Without any comparison goals wise obviously. 

Judge him when he he's played right and has a partner. Which you never will sadly under Rodgers. 

I'm at the point where I'd cut our loses and sell him this window as it's patently clear Brendan doesn't like him and won't play him so what's the point?

Hail. 

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven
  • Like 1

Judge him when he he's played right and has a partner. Which you never will sadly under Rodgers.

I'm at the point where I'd cut our loses and sell him this window as it's patently clear Brendan doesn't like him and won't play him so what's the point?

Hail.

I think Balo doesn't play because there isn't a striker to pair him with. As I said before, Lambert and Borini are not the answer. I fully expect him to get opportunities when Sturridge comes back. Anyone with eyes knows that he has played better in his shortened role. That tells me that he is willing to work for his spot. He will need to put some in the net soon. You can only get so far with hard work (ask Borini).

But to say he'll never play regularly is a bit premature. I remember when Sturridge was looked at as a winger in a front 3 by BR. Sturridge proved he can play striker and BR made the shift to a diamond and 2 strikers. I know you don't agree, but if you produce and work for the team BR will figure out a way to get you regular minutes.

We've got three years to develop someone. Hopefully Julian Green can be that man.

Why does no one want to let Yedlin and Green be World Class wingers?  I swear you're my brother in law trolling me, jo :lol:

As an aside... not looking forward to Yedlin playing in a Spurs shirt.  England is about to feel this kid.

Why does no one want to let Yedlin and Green be World Class wingers?  I swear you're my brother in law trolling me, jo :lol:

As an aside... not looking forward to Yedlin playing in a Spurs shirt...

To be fair, I don't care where Green plays. I expect he will play behind (or off of) Jozy. I am also excited about Yedlin, I hope he keeps improving

As an aside... not looking forward to Yedlin playing in a Spurs shirt.  England is about to feel this kid.

Betcha' the family silver he doesn't end up playing more than a handful of games his whole 'Spurs career. 

This isn't the MLS. 

I may of mentioned on these here pages about my absolute dick of a boss. Well I've just had a horrid yet brilliant night under him. Brilliant as he's been skitted to **** all night long over West Ham. Horrid as the only way the bitter blue ****bag can retort is to give me all the crap jobs he can come up with. 

Evertonian bitterness. It wouldn't be right without it. 

*Sings 'Tell yer Ma Yer Ma, To wipe away all yer tears; NO trophy's for TWENTY YEARS, Tell yer Ma, Yer Ma ...... '

Hail

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven
  • Like 1

Betcha' the family silver he doesn't end up playing more than a handful of games his whole 'Spurs career. 

This isn't the MLS. 

Depends on what they want to do with him.  I'd play him vs us for sure so that he can give Sterling a go.

The dude actually played his best games (imo) against Belgium and Portugal in last summer's World Cup.  Klinsman just didn't see him as a starter for whatever reason.  But he's got Sterling's potential with a better ball in.

To be fair, I don't care where Green plays. I expect he will play behind (or off of) Jozy. I am also excited about Yedlin, I hope he keeps improving

It was just funny cause he had JUST texted me that right before I saw your post, jo.

I like him a lot, both of them.  Jurgen is playing a lot of the kids out there lately - even though he thinks Rimando is better than Hamid for whatever reason - but the kid from Hawaii and Villareal look like they could be contributing in 3 years and 7 years.

Jesus how many strikers do they need?

They'll always need just one more.  Especially in January.

Bookies had a big run of cash on Danny Ings joining.

Gone from 10-1/ 11-4.

Hail.

I hate math.  That's gone to "less likely" I'm assuming?

I hate math. That's gone to "less likely" I'm assuming?

All that wasted money on an education just to have someone who can kill a man with one finger .....

More money has gone on Ings coming so the odds have shortened. In non-Scouse terms you reprobate say +1000 down to + 275.

'More' likely in the money and bookies opinion. I seriously doubt ANY club in the relegation battle sells goals this window. It would be to their detriment to do so. And I wouldn't pay anything like 8 figures for an Ings or Austin. It would have to be a bargain price. Beharino I would. He looks to have it all. But he's not leaving until the summer.

Hail.

• Like 1

To be fair Bony just makes 4. And given Augero's injury problems another striker was needed.

Just a way over inflated transfer fee/ salary.

Hail.

Yeah I mean it wasn't a 30 MIL-level need imo.

I read somewhere that Dzeko was on his way too

Fellow Gooners:

How do you feel about this Bielik kid? He's 17 and is already a tank at 6'2, nearly 180.

he'll be good in the future but doesn't address anything for this season. He's in that "next wave" with Bellerin, Hayden, Zelalem, Gnabry Chambers, and Bielik. That's half a team right there. IF you look at it as a five year window, these "kids" will be on the pitch as youngsters with then-vets like Wilshere, Ox, Ramsey, Theo, Gibbs, Jenks, Sanogo, and Szcz.

Szcz

Bellerin, Hayden, Miquel, Gibbs

Bielik, Ramsey

Ox, Zelalem, Theo

Sanogo (in theory)

still no room for Wilshre :(

I was looking at the list and Sanchez will be 30 in 5 years.

Edited by Elessar78