Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

I presume from this the club must be pretty sure there's gonna' be zero action on Firmino or they will look silly: 

Reds to dedicate West Ham fixture to Kick It Out - Liverpool FC

Over 8 weeks now. They can't just ignore
if, as seemed apparent at the time this is the case, a false allegation scenario when they've opened an investigation. Ridiculous how the Holgate mess is dragging on. 

Related, brilliant to see the Channel 4 news piece taking the Salah song from Porto in the right context instead of the xenophobic, racist, bigoted, stereotypical responses from morons all over social media.

Hail. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This might be of interest to you, I don't know, but I just recently re-watched this which is one of the greatest documentaries about football ever, about three great, great MEN, not just football men, by one of the greatest sports journalists ever. Mad to think they all came from such a small area in the West of Scotland. 

All three episodes cut down into segments, all follow on. WELL worth anyone's time. 

Hail. 

• Like 1

Really like the potential of Grujic, and think that regular minutes in the Championship should suit his development. If he can make the jump to first team, he an Keita would be two guys in the mid that won't back down from anyone. Also, he's already shown his ability in the air...far better than that tall, soft Cameroonian.

Like it that he, Ejaria, Wilson, Kent, and Ojo are getting regular minutes, with most of them fighting the promotion battle too. Hurts the U-23's, but should help the first team if a couple (or more) of these guys make the jump.

Nice to have such bounty in the academy. Not to mention that guy managing the 18's.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Following on from Warnock's encouraging words the other day, this looks promising:

Hail. 

He's got every chance to top out as a Matic-Gerrard clone.  He just needs time on the pitch and I'm glad he's getting it.  He's not a small boy, either.  6'4" and he should be bossing the midfield.

As soon as we signed him I knew Klopp wanted him for an 8 or a 6.  Glad he's doing well.

1 minute ago, Long n Left said:

Like it that he, Ejaria, Wilson, Kent, and Ojo are getting regular minutes, with most of them fighting the promotion battle too. Hurts the U-23's, but should help the first team if a couple (or more) of these guys make the jump.

Think Wilson is going/gone.  Add Brewster and Woodburn to that and we've got solid depth if nothing else.

I think Ejaria is very talented technically out of that lot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, DC9 said:

I think Ejaria is very talented technically out of that lot.

Agreed, but my personal fave is Ojo. Kid has pace to burn, and has shown the penchant for a sweet cross or two. Has Danny disease though as he can't stay healthy. 

He he looks a nice back up for Mo and Mane, just in case. 

Hoping to see young Ben at Anfield in the return leg with Porto. I'd love to see he and Pulisic working some magic together in the years to come.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Are Chelsea really playing Bayern off the park?  Twitter seems to imply that.

3 minutes ago, FanboyOf91 said:

If Germany wins this summer, it's because Jupp Heynckes rejuvenated Thomas Muller.

Did you see the foul?  Was it a red?

Get in there LEOOOO

25 minutes ago, DC9 said:

Are Chelsea really playing Bayern off the park?  Twitter seems to imply that.

No we did not play Barca off the park, but IMO we did out play them given our instructions.  Conte's tactics were top notch.  Two posts in the first half, then scored the first goal in the second.  We were 1 Andreas Christensen mis-pass away from winning 1-0.  I honestly don't think Barca created an out-and-out goal scoring threat all game.  Credit to Conte for that.

Barca were comfortable passing back all game, so they had ~70% possession.  We are not a pressing team so we were comfortable to concede it. Neither team took control of the game but I do think Chelsea played the better game and were unlucky to concede.  One biased opinion :)

• Like 4

Well, if that's an indication of Barcelona then I'd LOVE them the next round. People have been telling me they're the worst Barcelona side in 12+ years and it's a reflection of how piss poor La Liga has been (and Madrid not being arsed about anything else than a 12th European Cup) that they're so far clear. But I had my doubts until finally seeing them. God they're gash. Like 10 has-beens and Messi. 

Enjoy your new life Phil. Although after being dropped for the benefit of the team after being P poor, then having your car towed and your house burgled, this probably isn't the time to say that. 

I mean this as no slight on Chelsea but Barcelona are ****ing woeful. 

Hail. 

• Like 2

Let the good times roll! 

001x_reasonably_small.jpg

2 #ChampionsLeague knockout phase matches have already been won by 5-goal margins This equals the record number of 5-goal winning margins for the whole knockout phase since this format was introduced in the 2003/2004 season. There are 23 knockout phase matches still to play.
Hail. 

1 hour ago, SkinssRvA said:

No we did not play Barca off the park, but IMO we did out play them given our instructions.  Conte's tactics were top notch.  Two posts in the first half, then scored the first goal in the second.  We were 1 Andreas Christensen mis-pass away from winning 1-0.  I honestly don't think Barca created an out-and-out goal scoring threat all game.  Credit to Conte for that.

Barca were comfortable passing back all game, so they had ~70% possession.  We are not a pressing team so we were comfortable to concede it. Neither team took control of the game but I do think Chelsea played the better game and were unlucky to concede.  One biased opinion :)

Holy **** I thought for sure we'd see you at HT.

Glad you're okay, brother.

Haven't watched the match, that was just based on twitter.

1 hour ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Well, if that's an indication of Barcelona then I'd LOVE them the next round. People have been telling me they're the worst Barcelona side in 12+ years and it's a reflection of how piss poor La Liga has been (and Madrid not being arsed about anything else than a 12th European Cup) that they're so far clear. But I had my doubts until finally seeing them. God they're gash. Like 10 has-beens and Messi. 

Enjoy your new life Phil. Although after being dropped for the benefit of the team after being P poor, then having your car towed and your house burgled, this probably isn't the time to say that. 

I mean this as no slight on Chelsea but Barcelona are ****ing woeful. 

Hail. 

They bought Artur from Gremio this morning.

He's a bonafide 8.  Not sure where that leave the Little Madickin

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

This might be of interest to you, I don't know, but I just recently re-watched this which is one of the greatest documentaries about football ever, about three great, great MEN, not just football men, by one of the greatest sports journalists ever. Mad to think they all came from such a small area in the West of Scotland. 

All three episodes cut down into segments, all follow on. WELL worth anyone's time. 

Hail. 

That was a great watch thank you for sharing. Fascinating how different they are despite being from the same area. Matt Busby might be the only manager who could have dealt with George Best. I didn't know a whole lot about Shankley but watching him talk made me want to run outside and slide tackle someone  Also it's baffling how a nation that has such a passion for football (can't bring myself to say soccer after watching that) and four transcendent managers could have had such a nothing national team. Shouldn't they have been much better in the 80s?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Berggy9598 said:

That was a great watch thank you for sharing. Fascinating how different they are despite being from the same area. Matt Busby might be the only manager who could have dealt with George Best. I didn't know a whole lot about Shankley but watching him talk made me want to run outside and slide tackle someone  Also it's baffling how a nation that has such a passion for football (can't bring myself to say soccer after watching that) and four transcendent managers could have had such a nothing national team. Shouldn't they have been much better in the 80s?

You're welcome. You watched all 3 hours or so? Good man. Fascinating, interlinking tales huh? People's story's always interest me and coming out of such hardship often forms the man. Like how a lot of South American players like say Suarez and Tevez fight tooth and nail to not only make it. But stay at the top. Never losing sight of where they've come from. Which is basically nothing. And to have three greats like that all come from such a small area blows my mind. 

Billy McNeil, to a lesser extent, was another from that area. Captain of Celtic's '67 European Cup winners, glittering playing career who went on to manage Celtic, City, Villa among others. Which leads to another mindblowing story. Britains first European Cup winners. Steins '67 Celtic side, the Lisbon Lions. 15 man squad. All but one of them born within a 10-mile radius of Celtics ground. When you stop and think about that man ..... Totally foreign to today's game and a ridiculous stat. 

Yeah, mystery how Scotland have never even gotten out of a group at a WC/ EC. The talent they took to Argentina in '78, the first WC I remember in Spain in '82, and my favourite all-time WC finals, Mexico '86, was ridiculous. Yet they always somehow flattered to deceive which was a travesty for the top players involved. 

Scotlands place in the game really can't be understated and for such a tiny Nation, even more props to them. Mad that they've completely fallen off a cliff and are in the current state they are which has been rolling for two decades now. When was the last really top drawer Scottish player? Gary McAllister? Certainly, he was the last top one to cut it down South. Dalglish and then Ferguson dominating as managers, but they've nothing anythng like that ilk the coaching ranks now. Turning back to a re-tred in Alex McLeish for the National gig says it all. 

I'm rambling but it really is a sad state of affairs to see the Scots so bereft of quality when they've given so much of it to the World game over the years. 

Sidenote: Related, I'm personally made-up with Andy Robertson at L'pool. Not only does he appear to have all the quality's needed to finally fix our troublesome LB slot. He's Scottish. And all our great sides have had at least one quality Scot in them so getting back to that isn't a bad thing at all. Still a ways to go with him to iron out the flaws in his game, but the overall potential he's shown already suggests we've locked that position down for the next decade or so finally. 

Hail. 

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven

Absolute F-ing disgrace: 

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2018/02/roberto-firmino-will-not-face-action-investigation-racism-claim/

As discussed at the time in here when it was patently obvious Holgate had disgracefully pulled the race card and lied to deflect from what he did and escape a sending off/ban, why is he now receiving no action? 

The FA continues to be a complete and utter joke. That statement 
is cringe pathetic ..... "we are completely satisfied that the allegation was made in absolute good faith by Holgate and that there is no suggestion of this being an intentionally false or malicious allegation" even though no other person heard it and the referee was 2 feet away from Firmino and closer than Holgate. Complete piss take. 

You should be lengthily banned for trivialising racism every bit as much as you should be lengthily banned for resorting to it.

Hail. 

• Thanks 2

Okay... I guess it's confession time.

Short version: I have accidentally become a Barcelona fan. (I'm not going to type "supporter" because I'm an American and I still don't know that much about European football).

Long version: Like every child born to upper middle class suburban families in the 70s, I played soccer growing up. I actually liked it, although I was terrible in the field. I was so terrible, in fact, that I would have played only the minimum mandated half except for this: No one wanted to play goalie, ever, so the coaches always offered to let anyone that played goalie for a half play in the field the other half. I was tall for my age and understood math and angles, so I was actually really good at it until 4th grade, when athleticism started to matter. I generally played the other half at striker, which I was pretty proud of until someone pointed out to me that it was because I was so terrible in the field that it was the easiest place to hide me.

But, as noted, until 4th grade I was a good goalie. One year (I think 3rd grade), I set a goal of not letting a goal in the entire season, and in the last game, I managed it after playing the first half, except that as I ran off celebrating our other goalie refused to play and I let in one in the 2nd. :ols:

Anyway, I quit after 4th grade and started playing American football.

I certainly never watched it, because also like most Americans in the 70s I thought soccer was boring.

I WAS a huge Redskins and Capitals fan, though. I actually stayed up for all 85 periods of the playoff game 7 against the Islanders, but my first love was the Redskins. My formative years, of course, were the 80s. Lucky me.

As I got to college, I stopped watching other sports, but the Redskins were still a passion. I actually got season tickets in 2005.

Despite the fact that I was miserable for roughly two decades, I stayed with it. I thought it was a curse.

And then, one day in 2015, I stopped caring. Ironically, it was right before the Redskins hired a real GM. That seems less ironic now of course.

I haven't watched a Redskins game in two years. I don't miss it. I'm actually happier.

I thought I was free.

About a year ago, I was flipping through the channels, and I stopped on a La Liga match because Ray Hudson was calling the game and I thought something he had said was funny.

Now, my wife and I travel to Europe once or twice a year, and we had often talked about going to a football match just to soak in the atmosphere, so I was also vaguely interested for that reason. That's also why I have been lurking here, trying to get a handle on it, though I've mostly just been hearing about Liverpool.

As it happens, it was Barcelona playing, and we really loved Barcelona and it's people and culture when we visited, so I kind of casually rooted for them, but mostly I was just listening to Ray Hudson. I suspect he's a lot like John Madden, and people either love him or hate him. I love him.

Anyway, this happened several more times... I happened to be bored, a match happened to be on, and I just flipped it on for a while.

In the process, though, I realized something. Soccer IS boring because American leagues suck. Football, though, can be sublime. I'm a Physics teacher, and I watched Messi drop passes through a window the size of a pea with a curl that I'd have trouble finding an equation for.

I cut the cord a couple of months ago, but I found out that you can stream sports from Bein on the go90 app with Chromecast for free, so I kept watching, but actually because I was streaming it actually ended up with me making plans.

For the Champions League match yesterday, I actually got a free trial of Sling so I could watch it. Uh oh.

Then before it started, I realized I was nervous. Double uh oh.

I think this is where I have to insert the Godfather meme about how I thought I was out. :kickcan:

Anyway, I have accidentally become a Barca fan. Part of me feels like a dirty bandwagoner, because they're always so good, but it's not like there's a home team for European football anyway. I would be a United fan if I watched MLS, but I don't. Maybe I will if I really get into the sport as a whole over time.

I also think it's cool that Barca is owned by its members, rather than an owner. I always loved that about the Green Bay Packers, but of course I couldn't wouldn't root for them,.

This actually sucks, caring again. Sports is a negative expectation event. The pain of losing is always worse than the joy of winning is good, but as usually, I don't really have a choice. 

Oh well.

Visca Barça 

You may now eviscerate me for being a dirty bandwagon fan.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, techboy said:

You may now eviscerate me for being a dirty bandwagon fan.

When you come from a Country with no soccer (it's ok. You guys are the only guys in the World allowed to use that word as you have your own brand of football. International law decrees it. Or something) heritage (the pee-wee MLS league doesn't constitute that), I don't think it's possible to be classed as a 'bandwagoner' is it? (Our good buddy on these here pages Richmond excepted. But he's confused. With a very large family in all sorts of different City's that coincidently happen to contain top sides. So we give him a pass. Love yer Richmond man.). Certainly not from where I stand and I thoroughly enjoyed your explaining of how this fast developing love of Barca came around. Always fascinates me to find out where someone not from a particular place finds his 'team.' Long story short, I was always an Indian as I liked dressing up and firing a bow and arrow as a kid when we played Cowboys and Injun's. So when this mad new sport of big ass warriors battering the living daylights out of each other first appeared on British TV back in late '82, the Redskins just jumped out at young me and the rest is history. So the fact the team you've chosen, or which has chosen you, happens to be a dominant one is neither here nor there. 

Just don't flip to someone else regardless of how their fortunes go in future years. That would have you down as the very definition of a bandwagon fan and all bets would be off! 

BTW, I might well post some not very complimentary things about Barcelona. It's personal. But certainly not meant personally to yourself so please don't take it as such. This thread, as I'm sure you've gathered, is pretty unique and 'our thing' on the boards where most things fly and the mods leave us to it. But everyone knows where the line is and that banter is just that. 

Welcome into our haven yadda yadda. But you've been around these here parts long enough to not need any introduction to anyone I'm sure. 

I, for one, thoroughly enjoyed your story. And share your love of Catalonia/ Barcelona. If not the focal point 'soccer' club that represents and signifies the whole region. Smiles. 

Hail. 

• Like 3