Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

And only your continued delusion's could infer that from our discourse.

Whatever helps after the embarrassment of Swansea I suppose.

Hail.

It sucked and put me in a terrible mood but as a commentator said the season is still in its embryonic stage. Benatia could be on his way to shore the defense up a bit along with Rojo. There's also Van Persie that hasn't played a lick yet and is a difference maker along with Carrick who at the very least can draw a little attention away from Herrera and Mata. Its game one, not a time to hit the panic button or the party hats lets talk in a few weeks.

It sucked and put me in a terrible mood but as a commentator said the season is still in its embryonic stage. Benatia could be on his way to shore the defense up a bit along with Rojo. There's also Van Persie that hasn't played a lick yet and is a difference maker along with Carrick who at the very least can draw a little attention away from Herrera and Mata. Its game one, not a time to hit the panic button or the party hats lets talk in a few weeks.

I don't know... ya'll lost to Swansea and Ashley Young got bird poop in his mouth.

The end is pretty much here.

Finally, we go again!

Sunny but pretty breezy for the opening game. Breakie consumed. About to head into town to meet the familiar faces in the Globe prematch so a few thoughts before the taxi. 

The Squad:

MUCH stronger than last years that run mega rich Citeh so close. The historically bad defence from last term has been completely reshaped with the two new Spaniards at fullback (although sadly Moreno will have to wait until next Monday for his bow); and what should be Lovren and Sakho in the middle. I love the potential of Sakho, as has been noted on these here pages. (Big, strong powerful centre-half who's positionally savvy. Nondescript first 'settling in' season but I fully expect him to raise his level this term. And if his passing improves we have the complete central defender. And young.).Still think Lovren was over priced but on last weeks showing against Dortmund he's a real threat in the air from set pieces (something we've not had since Sammi or the original BFG- Big ****ing Greek Kyrgiakos); and he was positional sound and strong in the tackle so it bodes well for a formidable partnership, I honestly know next to nothing on the two Spaniards, but all be it in the last friendly last Sunday, Manquillo could turn out to be our shrewdest signing of the summer. Great going forward and never got caught out of position defensively whilst being strong in the tackle and having good pace and distribution. Everything Johnson isn't. The midfield is now a lot stronger decent with cover in all the slots as well as the wide areas. The only remaining concern is forward depth but that will be addressed before the window closes so no real panic there. I fully expect Sterling and the best # 10 in the league Coutinho to be standouts all year and keep progressing to top level consistency. I can see Raheem adding double figure goals to what he creates (maybe even playing upfront on occasion ala Walcott); with Phillipe chipping in with far more goals this year. The main flashing red light still for me is Mingolet in nets costing us but I do temper that by what my Belgium friends have to say on him. Hopefully he's far more solid the second year than the woeful first. And then there's Daniel upfront who could be a threat for the 30 goal mark if he stays fit with what this team creates. 

As an attacking force we just look to of continued on from last year and are nigh on impossible to stop when in full flow. Throw in the strengthened defence and you take this Liverpool side for granted at your peril. I haven't seen as close a knit group of hungry players in a LONG time that have FULLY bought into their managers philosophy and in year three have what he requires from them fully down now.  

Expectations. 

As fantastic as the BR revolution has been in such a short space of time, I do think he really needs to add silverware in year three. After all, that's the bottom line in standards at this football club. (There's a great line from an ex-director Tony Ensor that always springs to mind ..... 'Liverpool Football Club remains as a source of pride to our fans and to win silverware. It serves NO other purpose!'). The League Cup would be a great early start in that vein but solid domestic cup runs are vital In Europe I want to see us at least progress through the group and the first knock-out stage. Anything above the quarter will be a bonus the first year back after 4 LONG ones away. As regards the league I have no concerns over the top 4. The opening day just reffirmed to me that there's nobody strong enough outside of last years top 4 to seriously challenge that group. Now just where we'll finish is another thing. As we currently stand, I don't think we're quite strong enough to match City and Chelsea over the year and may drop back a slot to 3rd. But if we get a good start (minimum 3 wins and 3 draws the first 6 is VITAL to me); and add reliable, quality striker depth, that early momentum could well see us put up another serious challenge. I wouldn't rule out the league finally returning at all. 

One things for DAMN sure. This will be another REAL fun year following the most exciting brand of attacking football in the league.

Roll on half 1!

We

are

LIVERPOOL!

Hail. 

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven
  • Like 2

Yessir, brother!

We're back.  Another year older, another year wiser, and ready for another year together.  As if we'd have it any other way.  :D

I didn't fall asleep until 1am and I didn't sleep much past 6am.  I think I'm ready :lol: .

Let's GO RED MEN!!!!!

Something bad happening to AY far from rubs salt on the wounds.

I'm not worried about your taste buds, dude.

I prefer salt.

I hope the Kop sing "**** Off Chelsea FC" today.  I've been waiting all summer to hear it.

Unfortunately after the first 10 minutes it was obvious where the game was likely headed. Jagielka is so horrible and Distin played terribly as well. If the CB play isn't way better then we aren't doing anything this year. Lukaku would have to set a scoring record in the EPL.

A great finish at the end separated ya'll from 3 points bro.

Long season.  Ya'll looked pretty good, away, against a newly promoted team with a lot of energy.

Wow... a yellow for that after the bull**** that Bertrand has done?

Lucas still useless

Could do without both he and Johnson.

I can't believe BR is sending Rickey Lambert on....

A draw isn't the worse thing in the world here.

It'll at least show BR that we need another strong Forward.

GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lambert did look decent though.  Nothing like the preseason effort.  Sterling is so good.  Sturridge didn't quit on the team even though he wasn't getting the touches.  Coutinho had a triangle around him again, choking off the attack.

Mignolet was fantastic.  We don't win without him.

The back four is improved, but I can do without Johnson and Lucas for the rest of my life.  Go ahead and give me Flanno, Enrique, or Moreno back there and then go ahead and buy Alex and another forward and we'll be okay.

I really think that was a good effort by us... I also think Southampton are showing everyone why they had no problems selling off a lot of their players... their academy is fantastic. 

Sustain:  Good adjustments by BR (as always) and good fight by the boys during an early start, this early in the season.

Improvement:  Fundamentals.  Calm down, geezie peezie.  Go buy me another CDM, get rid of Johnson please, and get me another attacker.  That Bony guy is pretty good.

I though Manquillo looked pretty good.  Johnson was terrible and so was Lucas.  They just happened to be on the same side.

I'm not really sure what BR was doing unless he thought he could "showcase" Johnson and Lucas to Rafa.  Because neither have the quality to play with this team anymore.

That's all a memory next week with Moreno available, anyways.  And hopefully Flanagan and Enrique are there to back-up.

I really think the midfield should be Hendo, Gerrard, and Can going forward. 

Well that wasn't the most comfortable start. 

BR got his tactics and starting lineup well and truly wrong. I like that cautious, more reserved hitting on the break approach in Europe. In the league, at home to Southampton, we should be taking the game to them. Not sitting back and encouraging them onto us. They had ALL the second half momentum and we just couldn't pick it up after starting slow. That said the introduction of Lambert changed the game and he did more in his first 60 seconds on the pitch than anyone else had all game. 

On the one hand it was very pleasing to see the players maturity in taking onboard a new approach. (And their ability to switch through the game.). On the other it was totally the wrong approach for the game. 

Please, please, PLEASE let one or both of Johnson and Lucas leave before the end of the month. Lucas, if it was possible, is getting even slower out there. He was all over the place on Southampton's goal and completely lost his man. (Although Lovren got sold easily and Skrtel was way too slow reacting also.). Manquillo looked good again both ends of the park. (Just HOW many times does Bertrand have to kick him Clattenburrg before a card comes out? To then card the Spaniard for something and nothing sums you up. Prick.). Sterling showed fantastic maturity to cooly take his goal after a wonderful through ball from Henderson. Gerrard totally anonymous the whole 90 minutes. He could well of been off with the abysmal Lucas. Mixed day for Mingolet. Still flapping and all over the place 99% of the time. Then he makes a fantastic save onto the bar to preserve the win. (And just HOW did the Southampton player miss the follow up from 6 yards out?). 

VERY fotunate to get away with a win. But 3 points is 3 points and with 2 of the other big 4 also starting out with maximum points Daniel's winner was vital. 

Passing needs to improve markedly by next Monday where we need to go at City again like last year and hopefully have more luck and no bogus decisions go in City's favour. 

Very subdued crowd too. Too many sitting on their hands waiting for the players to entertain us instead of playing their part and inspiring the players. That **** needs to stop right now. 

Very relieved to start out with a win in what should of been a far more comfortable game. Now onto the MASSIVE early season contest next week neither side can afford to lose. 

A draw isn't the worse thing in the world here.

To start out, at home, against Southampton, without a win would of been completely disastrous. 

Thankfully we escaped with one. 

Hail. 

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven