Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

5 hours ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

For me, the way Suarez went around things was FAR worse. Another lad prepared to strike to force a move to F Arsenal of all teams before Stevie and a few others talked him down to stay a final year. Then bringing shame and embarrassment, not for the first time, on the club, his teammates and every last L’pool supporter out there with another bite in front of the World to calculatingly force L’pools hand and get his move.

Woah, to call that a reach would be an understatement :ols:

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, DC9 said:

I just don't understand why it had to be NOW.  He gains nothing.  Barca already have the league locked up and he can't play Champions League for them.

More money, more trophies, better lifesfyle, more glamorous club, better league, better teammates etc.

He gains a few things tbf.

As regards the Cup draw, Coventry, MK Dons or Newport away, please for a new ground. 

Everything else would be 'meh.'

Hail. 

*Edit* West Brom at home. BOO! What an incredibly boring tie. At least it's a good chance of being Sat'day 3 PM like so there is that. 

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Morrison J said:

More money, more trophies, better lifesfyle, more glamorous club, better league, better teammates etc.

He gains a few things tbf.

None of this answer the question of why it couldn't wait 6 months.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, DC9 said:

My best guess is he was becoming a malcontent and Liverpool's attacking play didn't exactly suffer without him. This is a similar situation to the Ronaldo transfer to Madrid, and at that time United had just come off winning the CL but were still powerless at the end of the day. Also I don't see how the Spanish league is better at the moment aside from Real and Barca. Easier on the eye and easier on the players, but not better. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Barca might get a transfer ban or go with Griezman instead in the summer.

I can understand phil's inpatience, but not why Liverpool needed to sell now. I guess Klopp didn't want to deal with it for another month.

I would sit his ass on the bench with "the injury" until the window is closed.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, DC9 said:

He was desperate to leave. Dream move for the player. His head and heart was not with Liverpool.

Barca took a calculated risk on price. The low bar was set at 125mil, that wasn't moving. In six months that could have been 175mil plus with a strong second half of the season and World Cup. They have ponied up the extra 20mil now with a view to mitigating the risk of a likely price increase. That extra will be back in the bank through merchandising before the end of January. And there is no way Liverpool can risk leaving 140mil on the table. So it was inevitable.

Also, Barca have the league won. So, Iniesta gets a rest and will focus on the Champions league, Coutinho will drop into centre mid and run the show in the league. Will bed in nicely for next season.

Barca also need to clean some deadwood out. Doing this now gives them a six month start prior to the summer. This sets them up perfect for the summer window and next season.

Finally, Liverpool don't need him to finish second. Klopp can't beat Pep. Klopp will make you the second best team in Country with or without Coutinho. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DC9 said:

It does though. If someone said you can improve your lifestyle and career in virtually every way possible now or in 6 months time what would you choose? 

I don't see any logic whatsoever to waiting another 6 months for Barca or Coutinho. Liverpool are still developing tbf and aren't winning anything this season. 

26 minutes ago, Morrison J said:

It does though. If someone said you can improve your lifestyle and career in virtually every way possible now or in 6 months time what would you choose? 

I don't see any logic whatsoever to waiting another 6 months for Barca or Coutinho. Liverpool are still developing tbf and aren't winning anything this season. 

It would depend.  Personally I make those decisions with my military career all of the time.  I can see that it was a dream move, but it was last summer and it easily could've been this coming summer.  That's all I'm saying. 

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, DC9 said:

It would depend.  Personally I make those decisions with my military career all of the time.  I can see that it was a dream move, but it was last summer and it easily could've been this coming summer.  That's all I'm saying. 

In what scenario that could be related to Coutinho would you wait 6 months?

Coutinho wasn't given the option to go last summer but would've if Liverpool had made him available. Instead it seems he needed to do another few months of pounding the table behind the scenes till he got his way.

Liverpool far more comfortable in the knowledge that they have the quality to finish top 4 with Salah providing the attacking threat and VVD to shore up the defense (an attempt at signing a GK to come in Jan too surely). Those were questions that still needed answering last summer. 

Makes sense for all parties to get it done now imo.

Edited by Morrison J

11 hours ago, Morrison J said:

In what scenario that could be related to Coutinho would you wait 6 months?

"I can move you to Washington, DC now and you can stay there for two years - Or you could deploy to Mosul and rid the city of Isis, and when you get back I'll station you there for four."

I'm just saying it happens. All the time.  I'm honestly kind of over talking about it, though.  On to what's next.

• Like 1

Really interesting listen today on Counter Attack - which is a Sirius XM show with a Brit and an Italian/American ex-Patriot I believe.  Anywho, they discussed the failure of moves when clubs sell a big player and try to replace like for like.

Ronaldo, Bale, Suarez - almost all the money was wasted.

Decent enough to say.  I do think Lemar is a different story, but I wouldn't be upset at all if we went to buy a top class keeper like Alisson.  I think Oblak is a pipe dream.  It could happen.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DC9 said:

Really interesting listen today on Counter Attack - which is a Sirius XM show with a Brit and an Italian/American ex-Patriot I believe.  Anywho, they discussed the failure of moves when clubs sell a big player and try to replace like for like.

Decent enough to say.  I do think Lemar is a different story, but I wouldn't be upset at all if we went to buy a top class keeper like Alisson.  I think Oblak is a pipe dream.  It could happen.

Oblak is a fantastic keeper. Not for 100mil euros but I'd be tempted to go half way if I was cash rich.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Oblak is a fantastic keeper. Not for 100mil euros but I'd be tempted to go half way if I was cash rich.

Not sure halfway will get it done.  I'm thinking 70-80 mil may.

8 hours ago, DC9 said:

Lucky w've have dead boss recruitment since Klopp tipped up and that he won't settle then huh?

Hail. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, DC9 said:

They're wrong about Ronaldo. In true Fergie he fashion he bought Antonio Valencia from Wigan and then sat on his hands. Won a couple of titles and was a monumental collapse against Bayern away from reaching the CL semis after selling Ronaldo. 

1 minute ago, Berggy9598 said:

They're wrong about Ronaldo. In true Fergie he fashion he bought Antonio Valencia from Wigan and then sat on his hands. Won a couple of titles and was a monumental collapse against Bayern away from reaching the CL semis after selling Ronaldo. 

Well they never replaced Ronaldo was the point, though. 

17 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Lucky w've have dead boss recruitment since Klopp tipped up and that he won't settle then huh?

Hail. 

Well we do, and I'm not sure Phil was ever his type of player and Mel and Pearce have said as much over the last couple of years.  But he'll take some replacing, especially in the immediate future.

I'm confident this is a team that can **** out a goal or two when it's needed, we've seen that with Burnley and Everton recently.  But if you strengthen the defense and keeper (which I think VVD is the type of dude that makes players better) then you can feel more comfortable at 2-0.  It's really been since Rafa that we could say that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DC9 said:

Well they never replaced Ronaldo was the point, though. 

Well we do, and I'm not sure Phil was ever his type of player and Mel and Pearce have said as much over the last couple of years.  But he'll take some replacing, especially in the immediate future.

I'm confident this is a team that can **** out a goal or two when it's needed, we've seen that with Burnley and Everton recently.  But if you strengthen the defense and keeper (which I think VVD is the type of dude that makes players better) then you can feel more comfortable at 2-0.  It's really been since Rafa that we could say that.

The measured approach is always better although there's measured and there's being a tight old Scot and I still think Klopp will look to spend the money on a high level player. 

19 minutes ago, Berggy9598 said:

The measured approach is always better although there's measured and there's being a tight old Scot and I still think Klopp will look to spend the money on a high level player. 

We'll see.  Word is he's seen the depth improve and he wants to improve the 11.  There are a ton of academy products that may rate some time in the next couple of years - mainly Ojo and Brewster amongst a couple of midfielders.  I think Grujic is a 50/50 proposition.

Curious to see where he spends it.  I think the fans definitely want someone big immediately because we feel the void. 

If City didn't spend more than we got for Phil on fullbacks last window I think measured would be the approach.  Unfortunately, with Phil we could beat them soundly (and with honest refs who don't send Mane off for a high boot four minutes after he was kicked in the face by Gabrial Jesus). 

The Everton AGM was one of the madest and funniest things in ages last night. 

It was comedy gold by itself that they're now claiming 
voodoo as something else going against them. Made even funnier that Lukaku never even signed for Chelsea. Presumably his Ma went to the wrong voodoo fella'? Then you've anything from them claiming 'The City's all Ours' as they're renting out some office space the Liver Buildings/ Everton having the 'new Fab 4' consisting of Rooney, Sigurdsson, Bolasie and Tosun, with his whopping 8 league goals for £27 million. In Turkey at that/ that big fat mess Anderson trying to sell everyone on what a great move it is to put two-thirds Council money into buying the land to regenerate that side the waterfront. When they haven't enough money to actually build the pretendy new ground to go on it (If yers haven't already, get on his 700-word letter 'rant' to the FA on Barkley)/ Moshiri's late night 'phone calls with Jim White, and all points in-between. (The minutes have to be read to be believed.). And kudos to the lad standing up applauding Allardyce for sticking it to L'pool and Anfield the start December. Apparently, last Friday night never happened ..... 

Everton FC. The gift that keeps on giving.

DTMK3y1XcAUCsrj.jpg

Hail. 

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven
  • Haha 1