Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

Benteke very isolated so far. Need to get midfield players closer to him, but they can't control posession enough to do that.

This is the BR special... 4-2-3-1... needs to switch to the 4-3-3 but you can tell he's nervous about the May match still.

The Transfer Centre @LiveSignings 13s13 seconds ago

Manchester City have put in a £45m bid for Wolfsburg forward Kevin De Bruyne, according to Goal.

Firmino needs to come in for Lallana.

Lallana is right back to crap but he's too far up the pitch and getting dominated by Johnson.

flat half for the redmen and stoke looking the more dangerous of the two. benteke needs some help up there.

Rodgers was ALL about not conceding there.  Totally agree.

• Like 1

This is the BR special... 4-2-3-1... needs to switch to the 4-3-3 but you can tell he's nervous about the May match still.

I really like the 4-2-3-1, assuming you have the players for it. Liverpool sort of do. But if your playing that your wide attacking players have to get close to your 9 when the balls on the opposite side. That's not happening. Also I've seen Couthino have better games - he dropping deeper and looks frustrated as he watches as the ball is launched over his head towards Benteke from the back ...

• Like 2

Coutinho is so good

I really like the 4-2-3-1, assuming you have the players for it. Liverpool sort of do. But if your playing that your wide attacking players have to get close to your 9 when the balls on the opposite side. That's not happening. Also I've seen Couthino have better games - he dropping deeper and looks frustrated as he watches as the ball is launched over his head towards Benteke from the back ...

Yeah he's playing a lot of the Jurgen Klinsmann style here in America.  Benteke 15 yards ahead of everyone as a target forward.  Expecting Benteke to hold it up for 10 seconds.

Firmino has to be next for Ibe

Agree with the back line, but also the D-mid. Coquelin is nice, but not enough imo. Agree we need another quality striker, & almost relieved if he goes to City or stays in Spain.

Don't get me wrong...the signjng would have shown some gumption, but i just don't think he fits all too well. Higuain is a better fit for what we do, as is Cavani.

Funny to see Cech pulling a Szczesny...even funnier if he does it all season. Just can't seem to land a keeper that can't avoid the odd mind-numbing performance.

Which brings me to Özil. 1 game btilliant, next game he puts on Potter's cloak of invisibility. Götze would be an upgrade at best, & at worst, a more attack (the net) minded mid who doesn't have a penchant for dissappearing as much....unless it's to the bench.

Özil is a player i love when he's on, but he just has too many games like this that make his value head-scratching.

All said...still think were we to land Pogba, everything suddenly clicks.

When all is said and done this is a really poor game all round. Both teams struggling to control posession and relying on a set piece or going direct to create a chance while keeping it tight at the back. That's sort of OK if your Stoke, but not good enough if your Liverpool.

BTW, 2013-14 first match ended 1-0 over Stoke if memory serves

Just saying...

Ugly game but brilliant result for Liverpool. Think Stoke will do ok this year. 

I only hope he doesn't use that wonder goal to justify his tactics... dude is so weird.  No need to leave your big signing alone like that for 80 minutes...

i liked Can out there a lot. needs to start.

The line-up needs to be

4-3-3

Mignolet

Clyne - Skrtel - Sakho - Gomez

Hendo - Can - Milner

Firmino - Benteke - Coutinho

That's a top 4 starting 11... I am convinced by the 4-2-3-1 that Rodgers is more interested in being right than he is in winning and I'm ****ing tired of it.  Neither us or Stoke really deserved to win, but he showed up not to lose and was about to take Coutinho off for Ings when the goal was scored. 

Dude needs to get a clue and quick... this side has a ton of talent and I'm sure Klopp was watching today.

When all is said and done this is a really poor game all round. Both teams struggling to control posession and relying on a set piece or going direct to create a chance while keeping it tight at the back. That's sort of OK if your Stoke, but not good enough if your Liverpool.

I don't think there is a forward in the world who can do what Rodgers wants out of a lone striker.  Benteke is as good as they come in that aspect in the Premier League and most of Europe.

He needs to back away from the video games...

And Mignolet was absolutely fantastic today, so was Lovren.  Skrtel looked like he's starting to lose a step, so that's something to keep an eye on.

The line-up needs to be

4-3-3

Mignolet

Clyne - Skrtel - Sakho - Gomez

Hendo - Can - Milner

Firmino - Benteke - Coutinho

That's a top 4 starting 11... I am convinced by the 4-2-3-1 that Rodgers is more interested in being right than he is in winning and I'm ****ing tired of it. Neither us or Stoke really deserved to win, but he showed up not to lose and was about to take Coutinho off for Ings when the goal was scored.

Dude needs to get a clue and quick... this side has a ton of talent and I'm sure Klopp was watching today.

I don't think there is a forward in the world who can do what Rodgers wants out of a lone striker. Benteke is as good as they come in that aspect in the Premier League and most of Europe.

He needs to back away from the video games...

i was just coming back to say firmino needs to start too. i'm not sure if it was just the late time in the game or if it was truly part of firmino's nature, but the attack became much more potent with him out there. took it towards goal instead of always passing back. i love ibe's potential, but he didn't look to be quite there yet- at least today.

i was just coming back to say firmino needs to start too. i'm not sure if it was just the late time in the game or if it was truly part of firmino's nature, but the attack became much more potent with him out there. took it towards goal instead of always passing back. i love ibe's potential, but he didn't look to be quite there yet- at least today.

Combination of both.  Ibe wasn't really doing much because they played to keep him from the byline.

Firmino has work to do, but he opens up the whole side of the pitch over there instead of just the cutback or the run to the byline to cross... which is good for Ibe, but Everton took it away last year, too.

We also switched to a 4-3-3 when Can came on.  Which is a much better formation for this teams talent... still not better than the 4-4-2 diamond, but a second.

Well... with City and West Brom still to play... it's just how we drew it up after match week 1

1. Leicester City

2. Palace

3. West Ham

4. Villa

5. Liverpool

6. United

7. Chelsea

18.  Sunderland

19.  Norwich

20.  Arsenal

I'd expect City to gun for top of the table right away tomorrow.

Well, what to say about that .....

First the good- 

Opening day of the season is just about getting the win. It doesn't matter how you get it. Just GET it! And to do it at a very tricky away ground, and one which we suffered the worst humiliation I can honestly remember ever the last time out; was doubling pleasing. And surprisingly unexpected to what we feared the short journey down. But then when you have this little magician in the number 10 jersey (who we've consistently been telling you is the best pure 10 in the league), anything is possible ..... What a ****ing goal! Seriously. I think it even topped the Southampton web last year. Phil just get's better and better. 

And I'd be remiss to not point out the assist for the goal, after he'd won the tackle and played it simple to the little genius ..... Yup, non other than 'The man, the myth, the living LEG-END Joe freaking Gomez!' *Smiles BIG! And I thought he did well overall considering he was up against a veteran experienced bruiser in Walters. Started off shaky, but grew as the game went on in a position that's completely unfamiliar to him but will serve him well to learn the perspective from out there when he eventually ends up dominating inside. 

And a shout out to the much maligned (and rightly so) Lovren. Who completely outshone the woeful Skrtel today. Although it looked like he should have walked for the elbow. Was it as bad as I thought on the TV?

So a fantastic result, topped off by a Worldie goal from a Worldie player which caps a pretty darn excellent opening 2 days of results. 

And then there's Brendan Rodgers .....

I don't have a clue what he's had to say, but I'm imaging 'excellent performance/ great character and pride' was in there somewhere along the line. Make NO mistake, like Utd yesterday, that was a VERY fortuitous (if highly welcome) win when a draw would of been a fair result from a very bland game that was causing a LOT of frustration in our end down to the BR speciality 4-2-3-1 bollocks. For all those  that slam Mario, I give you another totally isolated striker today in Christian Benteke who couldn't get into the game with **** all support around him. The way we play 1 up is ****ing amateur hour tactically. And now we have a big guy, we resorted to completely bypassing the Brazilian genius for much of the game until Can came on and boxed off the midfield, allowing more attacking options. He has the personal to be a fantastic attacking 4-3-3/ 4-4-2 diamond team with either Benteke and A N Other (Firmino/ Ings) alongside, and Phil at the head of diamond with Can protecting and Milner and Henderson; or a three of Phil, Benteke and Firmino? Ibe with Can, Hendo and Milner behind that. But NOT with an isolated forward with no support within 10/15 yards 9 times out of 10. 

I know, I know. Narking at the manger after an opening day win. But when you look beyond the result and ecstasy of the winner, there's a LOT to nark at him for when there's no need with the players at his disposal to put himself in that situation. 

But again, a win is a win on opening day. Which, with absolutely no disrespect intended, should be 2 for 2 after Bournemouth next Monday Night to set us up for the next big test at Arsenal the Monday after. 

That Coutinho fella' can't half play hey? Mighty Reds!

Hail. 

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven
  • Like 1

how 'bout those two fullbacks, eh?

Pretty strong pairing.  One yellow short of a free set of dishes, though (Clyne). 

Noticably better defensive effort, but a bit overcommitted from Rodgers.  Understandably, so.  Better approach Bournemouth at Anfield differently on Monday.

• Like 1