Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

News from the dark side:

Thiago Motta wants to play for Atletico Madrid, GK Sirigu is free to seek another club since the arrival of Trapp.

According to Le Parisien Di Maria to the evil empire is a done deal worth €65 millions !!!

So, basically what they overpaid for Sterling, the evil empire overpaying for Di Maria.

Last but not least that deal (if true) makes Van Gaal a genius again, right ? :ph34r::P:lol:

Latest big rumour here is a swap of Di Maria for Cavani. 

Which would be absolutely freeking hilarious. Dumping €84 million in a year. For Cavani. Did the Falcao exercise teach them nothing?  :lol:

Hail. 

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven
  • Like 1

Which would be absolutely freezing hilarious. Dumping €84 million in a year. For Cavani. Did the Falcao exercise teach them nothing?  :lol:

Hail. 

That would make me rotfl ! :D C'mon, keep on getting burn and not learning.

• Like 1

looks like we'll get to see the whole squad today.  The players are really doing a good job making this tour about the fans, as well.

From a selfish standpoint, I want to see Origi start off FLYING.  He needs to get in today so that his confidence isn't an issue and we aren't waiting for his first goal.

However, I don't want him to go out and get a hat trick either (I know, extremely unlikely) because I don't want FSG to be like "Well we don't need Reus/another forward after all".

Which would be absolutely freeking hilarious. Dumping €84 million in a year. For Cavani. Did the Falcao exercise teach them nothing?  :lol:

Hail. 

Like I've said, Utd are not buying players with a cohesive plan in mind. They are buying big names to prove  that big names still want to go there. 

Read something last night from Honigstein about Schweinsteiger's exit from Bayern. He wanted to resign through 2018, but Bayern didn't want to go that long so the situation was untenable. Additionally, there was some friction with Pep—Pep felt "forced" to play him because of his stature, but Pep prefers Alonso in a spot Schwein prefers. 

So as "sexy" as the Schweinsteiger move looks there's probably not much to it. He's still a good player but I don't know if there was a pressing need for him at Madrid, Barca, Chelsea, Citeh. Who knows if he wanted to go to Paris. 

The Schneiderlin buy was a good one for them. I'm not sure why you buy ADM for 60M and realize he doesn't fit your plans. You'd kinda like to make your plans fit around your 60M purchase instead, no? If not, why go to the  trouble?

• Like 1

looks like we'll get to see the whole squad today.  The players are really doing a good job making this tour about the fans, as well.

From a selfish standpoint, I want to see Origi start off FLYING.  He needs to get in today so that his confidence isn't an issue and we aren't waiting for his first goal.

However, I don't want him to go out and get a hat trick either (I know, extremely unlikely) because I don't want FSG to be like "Well we don't need Reus/another forward after all".

FSG Wants to get players that will guarantee that the fans pay the exorbitant prices for the new seats in Anfield...That's why I believe they will actually buy a World Class player (assuming said player will come)

FSG Wants to get players that will guarantee that the fans pay the exorbitant prices for the new seats in Anfield...That's why I believe they will actually buy a World Class player (assuming said player will come)

There might well be a boycott of Arsenal talking ticket prices. 

SOS have asked Arsenal to make it a category B game to take into account it being a scandalous Monday night. If Arsenal keep it in the top bracket, I think they'll look to make a bigger statement than Hull last year. 

Also asked L'pool to drop the prices for Bournemouth and slammed Sky for having that on a Monday night too. 

Hail. 

Excellent deal for Chelsea, but that tell's you ALL you need to know about Begovic...

Let him rot on the bench and lose his International place and have his career peter out to nottin'. More fool him. Hope the money is worth it.

preach on, brother. a mind boggling personal step back at a bigger club. money ain't everything.

As you mentioned, to the wider personal point:

Chelsea now have that quality sat on the bench.

Liverpool have Simon Mingolet starting.

And on that situation:

Yet again. Liverpool have completely neglected one of the most vulnerable areas of their team.

killing it today, ghh. totally agree. no keeper this window (so far, but i can't imagine now) and no real striker. firmino's nice and all, but he's an attacking middie. typical BR, though, to splash big cash on a player that he's planning on playing out of position. the top notch keepers are settled now, so addressing the top is our only hope. the transfer committee needs to go out and get klopp...err, rodgers a legit striker/finisher.

• Like 1

So as "sexy" as the Schweinsteiger move looks there's probably not much to it. He's still a good player but I don't know if there was a pressing need for him at Madrid, Barca, Chelsea, Citeh. Who knows if he wanted to go to Paris. 

Schweinsteiger is a player who has been world class for several years. But he is 30 and has been injured - lets put it this way he is not going to get any better and is, at best a two year rental. I know 2 years is a long time in football but for the kind of money they spent on him I'd want him at 25 not 30. 

Worst case (and probably most realistic case) is he spends as much time on the treatment table as he does on the field.

Dont like the signing personally.

I think the Schneiderlin signing is better but not for £25M - thats about £10M too much IMO.

Schweinsteiger is a player who has been world class for several years. But he is 30 and has been injured - lets put it this way he is not going to get any better and is, at best a two year rental. I know 2 years is a long time in football but for the kind of money they spent on him I'd want him at 25 not 30. 

Worst case (and probably most realistic case) is he spends as much time on the treatment table as he does on the field.

Dont like the signing personally.

I think the Schneiderlin signing is better but not for £25M - thats about £10M too much IMO.

I agree. He's coming off a season where he's played the fewest games of his career. 

One of the best signings Houllier made many moons back was Marcus Babbel, who, like Schweinsteiger, was a World class footballer in his position. And like Bastian, was at the back end of a great career. But what made Marcus so important, aside from the quality he brought on the park, was what his experience brought off it. His stellar German professionalism rubbed off on everyone, and although he wasn't the captain, he become one of a few veteran captains on and off the pitch that helped the younger players develop immeasurably. And although his stint was short (4 years); he was integral to our second treble winning team his second season in 2001 and the side that ran Arsenal so close for the league the year after. 

And that's where I think Utd. benefit. An experienced leader. A fantastic veteran presence who should help Van Gaal immeasurably. On and off the field. 

I like that pick-up a lot sadly. 

Schniederlin  I agree is WAY over priced. He's just a solid pro. Nothing more. Not bothered about that one at all. 

Darmian on the other hand, as any regular watcher of Serie A will tell you, is a fantastic addition. He's as good as any FB in the World you care to mention IMHO. Honestly. Old school Italian. A defender first who can also play. Quick. Strong. Fantastic reader of a game. Good in the air. Composed on the ball. And get's up and down without getting caught out positionally. I actually like him more as a centre back whee he started out at Milan. He should go a long way with his Italian tactical nounce into organising that shambles into a cohesive unit. 

I just hope the Otemendi rumours aren't true as that would be 2 outstanding additions to Utd's backline. 

Hail. 

• Like 1

Full disclosure they should be doing this team just like this.  Would like to see more possession but not mad at the counter attack and the set pieces from the youngins.  2-0 HT score is respectable.

Now to see some of the better names for the second half!

CJ4RJYjWwAA8r-3.jpg

God friendlies are boring. 

2-0 HT. Markovic and Sakho. Ings perfectly good goal disallowed. 

First half team: 4-3-1-2 (Right to left) Bogdan/ Gomez, Toure ©, Sakho, Wisdom/ Rositer, Lucas, Txeira/ Markovic/ Lambert, Ings. 

Not much to report. Decent workout fitness wise in the still 90' heat and humidity. Players worked hard which was good. Impressed with Joe Gomez. Good engine to get up and down. Comfortable on the ball. Strong. Everything through Txeira in midfield. Markovic floating behind the front 2. Ings had one real bad miss. Then followed it from the corner with a goal that should of been allowed. But honestly just typical exhibition fare with little to no opposition. 

11 changes coming the second half. 

4-0 FT. Lallana added a third on 51. And Origi off the mark on 85. 

Second half team: 4-1-4-1 (Right to left) Mingolet/ Clyne, Skrtel, Lovren, Maguire/ Allen/ Ibe, Milner, Henderson, Lallana/ Origi. 

More exciting second half. Initially down to our high tempo, but mainly down to the torrential rain and piss poor pitch. Good pace and hard working fitness workout again. Very good Lallana goal from an excellent Henderson ball. Henderson was probably the best performer. Milner busy but well within himself. Origi still has a ways to go for me. Some good, some meh. His speed of thought and instinct is nowhere near good enough to be a success at the top level for me. Maguire, who did well, put one or two good balls across the box that he would of reached if he'd anticipated a second quicker.  He did hit the post twice. One a weak shot off the skiddy surface that hit the outside. The other, after doing the hard work, a bad miss when it was easier to score. Very good header from a corner for his goal. But like Sakho's the first first, he was completely unmarked. Certainly has pace to burn. To be fair to him, playing alone up front is a thankless task. Even more so when you're young and inexperienced. The Thai's hit the post on 77 but absolutely no opposition at all. 

Decent run-out for a kick-around. Mainly in terms of fitness but some tidy work all things considered. 

Hail. 

• Like 1

Had a meeting right before the second half started... 30 minutes turned to 90 so I missed everything.

I did see the ball in from Henderson to Lallana and I agree it was excellent.  As long as he is in there providing service into the box I think he's at his best and can grow from that.  It's when you try to force him into the attack... that's when you start raising an eyebrow at both his skillset and Rodgers' decision making.

So glad that Origi got in.  This was a **** side but the youngins need something more positive to build on than "you looked good out there" these days.

Not worried about Ings so much cause he's scored in the PL before.  This was a big day for Origi, even if he still needs work.

• Like 1

Y'all are/were so wound up about Sterling. It's nothing we haven't seen before and LFC didn't act exactly take the high road several weeks and months back.

I'm not sure agree. How do you think the club should have acted? Is it good business to give Sterling 200,000 a week? Is it good business to be bullied by a player and his manager? They had the upper hand and I think the showed restraint. They let the player go, but for the right price. I like the way they handled it.

• Like 1

I'm not sure agree. How do you think the club should have acted? Is it good business to give Sterling 200,000 a week? Is it good business to be bullied by a player and his manager? They had the upper hand and I think the showed restraint. They let the player go, but for the right price. I like the way they handled it.

The smear campaign.