Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

Slight over reaction right here I would say ...

how?

PRemiership clubs havent been worth anything for years in Europe. (Chelsea flucked in 2012)

Top of the league isnt that good. Middle class clubs get their butts kicked in Europa too.

I agree.  I think our bottom half of the table could compete and stomp any bottom halves in Europe (or anywhere).

But outside of Chelsea and City when in form, there is no real threat to flirt with Barca, Real, Bayern, etc.

I think if Arsenal had a veteran presence in the midfield or up front they may fair better in the bigger games.  They don't have a Steve Gerrard who can relax the players.

None of these clubs are threats to the elite clubs. Including Chelsea.

Shoot, this Barcelona team is nowhere near as good as they were in the past. They destroyed City.

I dont know if the bottom half Premiership clubs are good because the bottom half clubs overvalue British players.

Arsenal have way bigger problems than just a veteran presence in the midfield. Monaco beat Arsenal with children yesterday. Its way bigger than that.

Remember, it's not an EPL match/ref.  It is CL.  Much harder for a phantom call there.

The CL refs hate PSG as much as we hate Chelsea, though.

None of these clubs are threats to the elite clubs. Including Chelsea.

Shoot, this Barcelona team is nowhere near as good as they were in the past. They destroyed City.

I dont know if the bottom half Premiership clubs are good because the bottom half clubs overvalue British players.

Arsenal have way bigger problems than just a veteran presence in the midfield. Monaco beat Arsenal with children yesterday. Its way bigger than that.

Have you met Everton?

or they spend on crap from the Continent or bigger clubs leftovers *cough*Lukaku*cough*

the premiership isnt that strong.

In depth? Name a European League with better strength outside the top 4 clubs.

As for Chelsea 'fluking" the Champuons League in 2012 - not sure thats possible over the whole tournament. Sometimes the 'best' team does not win. As they always used to say in my day when someone was moaning about a result, goal or who won a title - look in the paper.

• Like 1

(Pic titled 'Who has never one Champions League)

To add to the above:

This man

20real-madrid4.jpg

, upon becoming only the second manager/ coach to win the biggest prize in soccer, the European Cup, 3 times when he steered Real Madrid to a sensational 10th triumph last season; gracefully said of the first man to achieve the feat (with a ridiculous 3 wins with one club in a 5 year span. Along with a UEFA Cup and Super Cup in that time just for good measure):

bob-trophies-a-300x261.png

that it would be so humbling and such an honour to rub shoulders with one of the greatest football managers of all time. 

The respect from one intolerably humble yet great manager who shuns the limelight and just does his job to another out of the exact same ilk was fantastic to see in this day and age. Had it been Mourinho, there'd of been no mention of Bob and it would all of been 'I,I, I !'

Brendan, you have a LOT to live upto. 

Don't let us down tonight!

As for Chelsea 'fluking" the Champuons League in 2012 - not sure thats possible over the whole tournament. Sometimes the 'best' team does not win. As they always used to say in my day when someone was moaning about a result, goal or who won a title - look in the paper.

Thier greatest ever season. 

If EVER one team has had SO much luck through all 3 competitions I want to know of it. Right up and including the last game when Munich battered them for 89 minutes hitting the woodwork twice. 

Hail. 

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven
  • Like 1

I hear Parma are pretty good over in Serie A.

surprisingly, La Liga. The real best league in the world. They slay in Europa every year.

When I say its fallen off, I dont mean its the worst in the world. But 7 years ago the premiership had the very best teams in the world. By far. Its not there anymore.

its very possible to fluke a CL run. Its a cup competition. Arsenal were the best team in Europe in 2004 and lost to Chelsea in the quarters.

Liverpool fluked it in 2005. United in 1999. Arsenal fluked it into the final in 2006.

Shoot, the biggest fluke of all was Schalke making the semifinals in 2011. It happens.

How? because its a cup competition and everything is about the draw.

Chelsea finished 6th in the premiership that season and Roberto Di Mateo took them there. IT was a fluke run.

No one is moaning or complaining, just being honest.

What happens is everyone falls in love with the money premiership clubs make and the Sky propoganda, but it isnt the top dog anymore.

There is a very real chance that no team from the premiership makes it into the quarterfinals this year and goes out of Europe all together.

Edited by JoeWolf990
  • Like 1

its very possible to fluke a CL run. Its a cup competition ......

Liverpool fluked it in 2005...... .

Not from the knock-out stages.

Outplaying a very good German team in Leverkusen; tacticaly out thinking the Italian Champions Juventus then the newly crowned English Champions Chelsea; then coming back from 3 goals down against a historicaly GOAT calibre Milan defense wasn't 'fluking' anything.

Highly unexpected and arguably our poorest side out of the 5 to lift ol' big ears.

But the way they performed the knock-outs 'fluke' it most certainly wasn't.

Hail.

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven

Not from the knock-out stages.

Outplaying a very good German team in Leverkusen; tacticaly out thinking the Italian Champions Juventus then the newly crowned English Champions Chelsea; then coming back from 3 goals down against a historicaly GOAT calibre Milan defense wasn't 'fluking' anything.

Highly unexpected and arguably our poorest side out of the 5 to lift ol' big ears.

But the way they performed the knock-outs 'fluke' it most certainly wasn't.

Hail.

it was a fluke.

Milan dominated the match minus that 10 minutes of madness, which never happens. They also missed many golden chances.

You could argue that Luis Garcia didnt score that goal too versus Chelsea.

Leverkeusen finished 6th in Bundesliga that season.

I know you will never admit it, and thats fine, but it was a fluke win to everyone else in the world that is not a Liverpool fan.

That isnt taking anything away from Liverpool, but making the overall point of how you can fluke a CL win. Its a cup competition.

edit: and out of the list, you guys arent the biggest fluke. Not close. Chelsea just should not have happened in 2012.

Edited by JoeWolf990

Also, it's the CL. Arsenal is cleary terrified of the bright lights.

Even tho GHH and btfoom are dickheads, they are right

I agree. This effort is inexcusable. I mean they are basically out already

Wow, I'm being compared (as a dickhead) in the same breath as GHH, that's the nicest thing ANYONE has posted about me here.  I think I'm going to cry.  And, of course, I am right.  :D

La Liga and Bundisliga.  LL had 3 teams advance to CL knock-out round (and certainly will advance 2, possibly 3) and BL had 4 teams advance, with 2 very likely through and one in pretty good shape.  2 teams (out of 3) left in Europa.

The reality is the bottom 8 teams in the EPL are no different than the top half of Championship.  They scratch out boring draws because they put 10 men behind the ball and park the bus.  No real soccer for any of them.  At least LL and BL lower sides try to play in a similar style to the top teams - they just get pounded sometimes when they do.

As for Chelsea winning the CL, yes, they were extremely lucky.  I don't refer to shots off the woodwork, bad calls, etc.  When you get through the Semi-Finals  because Messi misses a PK - his only miss of the year, something like 33 for 34 - AND Robben misses his PK - again his only miss of the year, out of around 20 or so, then yes, I call you lucky.  Lastly, when you see basically the same team not even advancing out of CL group phase, it just shows how lucky that team was to advance.

And no matter what you guys say to Joe today, he's going to be poopy pants.

Remember when he got interviewed after the Stoke match last year?

the best part is that I have a snow day today and can watch it live

Nice, bro!  Yeah, I thought I was going to have one - either way I had previously coordinated for a long lunch, so I'm home for this one, too :)

• Like 1