Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Lots of curiosity about this John Beck guy...

IceBlue33

This guy was drafted one year before Parcells took over in miami and got stuck with a new regimie coming in and not taking a good look at him. Instead Parcells wanted his own guy in there.

And about him being 30, who cares? if he can get it done, get him some reps.

:whoknows:

Well, hopefully he'll take the number 2 spot from Gross Man.

I'd be shocked if that happens. I think Rex would have to be absolutely horrible in preseason, and Beck would have to play like a pro-bowler for it to even be considered. I'm not sure where he is with Bartel. Some people report he's passed him, other's say Beck hasn't looked that good, so who knows. Obviously we haven't seen Rex or Beck or Bartel play a single preseason game yet (it doesn't look like Bartel will play tomorrow unless his status has changed), but who knows we might be shocked by Rex in KS's system. But if he plays like the Rex that I have seen in the past, and he's still the #2 guy, then I pray that #5 doesn't miss a single snap this season.

You won't find a bigger JC hater on this board than I have been since he was drafted. I made threads saying he was an absolute bust years ago.

So Beck did well at BYU. Colt also looked great in college.

So what do you believe has been his problem in the pros?

Because Miami sucks? What about the Ravens? Do they suck too?

That obviously isn't the problem. So what do you think it is?

I have no interest in hating on him, and with McNabb here, hopefully he never plays a single snap. I hope Shanahan develops him into the best QB in history. Like the Dolphins and Ravens, I just don't see it.

Great questions. If you will remember the Dolphins lost Ricky williams and then lost the next 2 backs in part because the line was so horrible. They literally did not have a legit RB. I believe that the Ravens was just a numbers game and they were happy with what they had and again I don't think the system was right for John. I believe he will do well in this system and this may surprise you, I think (his style) is actually a better fit than McNabs in this system.

I will allow, albeit grudgingly, for the fact that I could be wrong. Someone once told me that eventually it would happen in my lifetime. ;) That's what makes speculation and being a fan so much fun.

Beck should get looots of playing time this preseason as long as Bartel is injured (I expected they'd split a lot of the 2nd half playing time). But I'm planning to do my best to not throw too much hope behind any backup QB we acquire in the next couple years as a potential QB of the future. I'm reserving that hope for whenever Shanny decides to draft a stud QB a few years down the road. But if Beck can develop into a competent backup, all the better.

I have already posted this, but am I mistaken, or isn't it true that Shanny will only carry 2 QB's going into the season???

Coach Shanahan said if there's a 3rd QB worth keeping, he'll do it. Which means Beck and Bartel are not only competing against each other, but are competing to be considered worthy of a roster spot.

I think, in the end, the staff likes Beck too much to cut him and likes Grossman's experience in the system. That's why I think we'll carry 3 QBs into the season.

I like Beck for one reason; he indirectly led to the death of the Cult of Colt on this site. For Raiders fans, they can let the debate begin with the new Raiders chapter of the COC as to why the Raiders are conspiring to keep "future HOFer" and the next Steve Young / Kurt Warner / Tony Romo sits to pee / Brett Favre / (any QB who went to a small school or was drafted late) off the field. For that, Beck gets much praise from me. Way to go Beck, you have restored sanity to ES. That is until Beck throws for a TD against third stringers and the brotherhood of beck fills that irrational void and starts lobbying to bench McNabb.

What is sad is that every joke I made in this post is based in what was viewed as fact by the COC. If I hear "53 TD's in his junior year and 33 TD's in Young's Senior year" one more time, I will go to Hawaii and find you people. Get over it, your football program is irrelevant. It's like comparing surfing in Florida with one foot waves with surfing in Hawaii with 8 foot waves. I wish I was making this stuff up.

Archived