Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Lots of curiosity about this John Beck guy...

IceBlue33

Thanks for taking the time to offer your account of his personal history both on and off the field.

Cheers.

On second thought, probably inappropriate to offer a "Cheers" to a BYU guy, so lets just stick with "take care."

Lol! Hey I like Welch's Grape juice as much as the next guy. :drooley:

LOL.

In all seriousness, I too, was initially pumped about this guy as a young, talented, developing up and comer of a QB, and then I read that he's 30. 30?!?!?

Actually 28 going on 29 so he should be fine. He's only 2 years ahead of everyone else. Also remember he was on a mish. Not exactly full contact.

Except those damn dogs! LOL.:beatdeadhorse:

nice little backstory, OP. 'preesh.

i have absolutely no insider info on the subject, but i suspect shanny has big plans for this cat. i think he's feeling like the doug dutch trade was a coup. he and kyle have both said they liked him coming out of college and that he was "as good a quarterback as their was" in his draft.

in the short time he's been here, i gather that he makes good decisions, has good pocket awareness, is accurate with a live arm, and can occasionally make plays with his feet. this is shanny's recipe for QB success.

i am really hoping that he and ryan torain will develop and thrive under this regime, so that in two or three years they can team up to be the foundation of our offense.

ambitious for such low-profile guys? very. but there is good reason to be optimistic.

I have watched this guy play many games here in Florida.

He is Jason Campbell all over again.

Don't even waste your time.

Not so fast, mcD. This guy was far superior to campbell when comparing them in their college years.

NFL wise, I can see why you might say that, but the sample size on Beck isn't big enough to roll over him with the Candle label just yet.

He is more talented IMO.

Not so fast, mcD. This guy was far superior to campbell when comparing them in their college years.

NFL wise, I can see why you might say that, but the sample size on Beck isn't big enough to roll over him with the Candle label just yet.

He is more talented IMO.

He is slow. Can't read defenses. Takes hard hits. Freezes like Campbell used to do.

He could be average, if he had a stellar team around him, that can carry him.

He doesn't lead. He has to be carried.

He is slow. Can't read defenses. Takes hard hits. Freezes like Campbell used to do.

C'mon McD, I went thru all the trouble of looking up facts on this guy and posted them in the TC thread almost a week ago:

http://www.extremeskins.com/showpost.php?p=7681941&postcount=16

You're still mad because they cut CB aren't you :drooley:

You might be right but I don't think so. The sampling you have from the Miami area is a joke. That entire system was a joke. They didn't even have a running back. Literally. The O-line was so horrible they made the (much maligned here) Skins line look like 6 years of all pros! The system was ill conceived at best and nobody knew what to do. It was like watching a much more expensive version of the Gary Crowton BYU years. They threw John into an impossible situation when the entire team had already given up on winning and then said be our hero. C'mon man you gotta have more sense than that!

:ols:

You must be talking about someone else, as this guy is up there in BYU history as one of the best of all time. Not even that, I think he has some NCAA records as well.

He CARRIED that BYU team for a few years, on his back. Campbell was carried by Caddy and Ronnie Brown when he was in school.

You might be right but I don't think so. The sampling you have from the Miami area is a joke. That entire system was a joke. They didn't even have a running back.

Miami has a decent running game.

Beck is slow. He takes hits. He freezes. He was awful in Miami, and now in Baltimore. What decent QB couldn't look okay with the Ravens?

Plus I heard that John Beck destroyed the periodic table, because John Beck only recognizes the element of surprise.

Come on dude Beck is old, slow and we got him from the Ravens for a bucket of balls. I would start looking for your other second coming.

Oh yeah. And anyone who knows anything about football knows that John has a very high Football IQ and reads defenses better than 80% of the QBs out there.

i have to admit, being an ex-mormon, i let my bias go against him, and really didn't like him simply cause he was mormon. my roommate is a dolphins fan, so i am familiar with him since they drafted him.

i have to say, i never thought much of him and think Henne is a better QB.

i changed my stance on that a little since we picked him up, id like to see him do something good here, but after reading what the OP said about him being flawed and very slow learning...add onto that the fact he wasted years on his mission (don't get me started on how missions should be done later in life, not when you are young)...i don't think he is a good fit for our future franchise QB.

:ols:

You must be talking about someone else, as this guy is up there in BYU history as one of the best of all time. Not even that, I think he has some NCAA records as well.

He CARRIED that BYU team for a few years, on his back. Campbell was carried by Caddy and Ronnie Brown when he was in school.

Not trying to bag on you McD but there is more to your negativity than just JB. FYI I just watched all the Campbell highlights I could stomach and he would have been lucky to be 3rd string on BYU's team. He was not very good. Lots of mechanics issues between running and throwing. His feet get him in trouble like many QB's. Not recognizing when to run and when to slide into the pocket. HE has major recognition issues and overall was a mediocre talent at best. Not sure what anyone saw in him.

Not trying to bag on you McD but there is more to your negativity than just JB. FYI I just watched all the Campbell highlights I could stomach and he would have been lucky to be 3rd string on BYU's team. He was not very good. Lots of mechanics issues between running and throwing. His feet get him in trouble like many QB's. Not recognizing when to run and when to slide into the pocket. HE has major recognition issues and overall was a mediocre talent at best. Not sure what anyone saw in him.

You won't find a bigger JC hater on this board than I have been since he was drafted. I made threads saying he was an absolute bust years ago.

So Beck did well at BYU. Colt also looked great in college.

So what do you believe has been his problem in the pros?

Because Miami sucks? What about the Ravens? Do they suck too?

That obviously isn't the problem. So what do you think it is?

I have no interest in hating on him, and with McNabb here, hopefully he never plays a single snap. I hope Shanahan develops him into the best QB in history. Like the Dolphins and Ravens, I just don't see it.

In all seriousness, I too, was initially pumped about this guy as a young, talented, developing up and comer of a QB, and then I read that he's 30. 30?!?!?

See: Gannon, Rich

Rich Gannon didn't really start to come on as a legit NFL starter until well into his 30s. It's not like Beck has been out there taking a beating since he entered the NFL. We all know that QBs can play well into their 30s or sometimes their 40s.

Hmmm.

“It’s going to take a while. However John is very sharp. He took some reps today in our seven-on-seven, so he’s picking up the offense very quickly. The terminology is completely different than what it was in the past. I’d be surprised if it takes him a long time though.”
John Beck goes play action left, bootleg right, and hits Lee Vickers on a crossing pattern with a defender draped over him. Beck zipped the ball in, and put it in the only place it could go for a possible catch. Beck was asked what he saw that made him try to put the ball in such a tight space.

“The back of the defender’s helmet,” said Beck. “He only knows where his man is; he doesn’t know where I’m at, or where the ball is going to be coming from. So when he had his back to me, Vickers had a step on the guy and I knew I could try to squeeze it in.

“It was a tight spot, but that’s why they demand accuracy from a quarterback, because that can be a completed ball even though there is a defender on him. The tight end has got him by a step; the defender has got his back to you, so shoot it in there.”

Beck had the entire defense biting on play action. Rolled out and ran down the sideline for 10 yards.

Shanahan said John Beck also is doing a good job playing catch-up.

On how quarterback John Beck is picking up the system:

"John has done a good job. He has only been here a couple days. His terminology is completely different than the terminology we use both with the passing game and running game. Normally that takes a little bit longer, but John picks things up fairly quickly and hopefully he will be ready to go in a short time."

On what has impressed him about John Beck:

"Kind of what I saw in college. I thought he would fit into our system very well and he hasn't disappointed me at all. He is a student of the game and he has a good feel for different zones in the passing game, and I've liked what I've seen."
*QB John Beck has some tools that these coaches should be able to work with. Early in 11-on-11 work, he rolled to his left and threw across his body, hitting TE Logan Paulsen in stride for a nice gain. He also drilled WR Shay Hodge in stride on a deep slant.

I’ve heard people around the league rave about how smart Beck is. He looks more comfortable in the offense every day. Today that showed in how he checked to Hodge in a hot read against the blitz. It was a quick slant that picked up about 10 yards.

Beck uses his feet to scramble and buy time then hits bomb to Brandon Banks for TD
Beck again uses his mobility to avoid pressure, this time connects w Portis along sideline

Now does that really sound like JC to you. C'mon :doh:

Archived