Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Homer: redskins power rankings: week 2

themurf

mcnabb081210.jpg

(photo by Brian Murphy)

The second week of training camp has come and gone and the Washington Redskins are a little more than 24 hours away from their first preseason game of the season.

With that in mind, here is the second edition of the Redskins power rankings. In case you missed last week’s offering, the concept is simple – 10 Redskins players who have risen to the challenge and made a strong impression during Week 2 of training camp, along with five guys who need to step it up.

And my disclaimer: these rankings are completely subjective, biased and, ultimately, meaningless. They simply represent one person’s take from the sidelines. If you see things differently and/or feel like I’m forgetting someone, that’s okay. Feel free to leave a comment and share your thoughts on the subject.

1. Donovan McNabb, quarterback – Ask anyone from Philadelphia capable of having a coherent conversation (which admittedly, doesn’t leave many options to choose from) – McLovin’ is a notoriously poor practice player. The guy has been a consistent winner throughout his NFL career, but that success rarely carries over to practice situations. And honestly, that’s fine.

Nothing against Taylor Jacobs, but I’d much rather have a top 10 talent who is a so-so practice player, than the opposite. But McNabb earns the top spot this week because he’s managed to put together a string of solid performances over the last seven days, which hopefully means he’s getting more comfortable in this new offense.

Either way, McNabb is making enough noise these days that the mere sight of his Redskins jersey is enough to make Andy Reid call for security.

2. Carlos Rogers, cornerback – I keep saying it and skeptics keep mocking me. This is going to be a career year for Rogers. With his good pal Fred Smoot no longer around the distract him, Rogers is spending more time focusing on the subtle nuances of playing one of football’s most challenging positions and less time smoking and joking.

3. Trent Williams, offensive lineman – He’s already solidified his place as the starting left tackle and his coaches continue to sing his praises. As soon as his head catches up with his natural athletic ability, this guy is going to be a stud for a long, long time.

4. Adam Carriker, defensive end – Carriker is starting to look very comfortable in Jim Haslett’s defense. Oh, and he’s got a healthy chip on his shoulder because he wants to prove St. Louis was foolish for giving up on him. Feel free to start getting excited over what a healthy and motivated Carriker can provide for this aggressive defense.

5. Andre Carter, linebacker – Folks kept telling me throughout the offseason that there wasn’t a place for Carter in a 3-4 defense, and that it was only a matter of time before he was either traded or let go. And I kept telling those people that they didn’t know what they were talking about and that not all 3-4 defenses are created equally. Once Carter fully recovered from offseason surgery to repair his torn bicep muscle [Editor's note: ouch.], he found himself below Lorenzo Alexander on the depth chart as he worked back to speed with the second teamers.

Carter never said a word. He simply kept a positive attitude and continued to do whatever was asked of him. In related news, Carter has leapfrogged Alexander and has spent the last week running with the starters.

6. Chris Cooley, tight end – He’s not fast. He’s not flashy. But dammit, you know what you’re getting with Chris Cooley. And for that reason alone, you’ve got to respect him. Cooley looked off the first week of training camp, with more than a few passes hitting him in the hands that he failed to secure. This past week though, Cooley has seemingly started to develop some chemistry with McNabb and looks much more like the Pro Bowler fans love to love. Let’s put it this way – it wouldn’t surprise me at all if Cooley was the team leader in receptions this season.

Click here for the full article.

I'm not ready to give up on Hicks or Brown. Hicks spent all off-season learning RT. Now he is back at RG, so I am willing to give him some time to get used to working back there.

And in regards to Brown, if it were the regular season, he would be playing. Shanny doesnt want to push him with a month remaining in the pre-season. It takes time to get back into playing shape, especially after surgery.

But other than my 2 cents, great write-up as usual!

It's like Orakpo disappeared

Don't worry about him. Orakpo is flying under the radar right now, which isn't a bad thing. I talked to him this week and he's just really looking forward to hitting someone who isn't wear the same colored jersey as he is. He's really excited about eh new defense because he likes that they're going to be more aggressive and try to impose their will on opponents rather than sitting back and reacting.

I'm not ready to give up on Hicks or Brown. Hicks spent all off-season learning RT. Now he is back at RG, so I am willing to give him some time to get used to working back there.

And in regards to Brown, if it were the regular season, he would be playing. Shanny doesnt want to push him with a month remaining in the pre-season. It takes time to get back into playing shape, especially after surgery.

But other than my 2 cents, great write-up as usual!

Like I said last week, these power rankings are simply my take on what's gone on over the last seven days at Redskins Park. Just because you see a name on the good or bad list doesn't mean they're going to be a sure-fire Pro Bowler or that they should get cut immediately. It just means they stood out - either in a positive or negative way.

Portis-Johnson

Porta-John

:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:

Remember where you heard it first.

nice write up bro. I can't argue with anything on the list, from top to bottom. I'm alittle surprised, however, that Bobby Wade didn't make the list. It seems like he's been getting some good reports in the last few days of camp.

-BTW, will you be doing this until the end of camp or will this go through until the end of the preseason. Almost like a "Top 10 most impressive players of the game" type of thing?

Like I said last week, these power rankings are simply my take on what's gone on over the last seven days at Redskins Park. Just because you see a name on the good or bad list doesn't mean they're going to be a sure-fire Pro Bowler or that they should get cut immediately. It just means they stood out - either in a positive or negative way.
Trust me man...I know what youre saying. Those were just two of the guys that I had an opinion on and felt like sharing. I agree with about 95% of what you write, but just wanted to add my :2cents:

1. Donovan McNabb, quarterback – Ask anyone from Philadelphia capable of having a coherent conversation (which admittedly, doesn’t leave many options to choose from) – McLovin’ is a notoriously poor practice player. The guy has been a consistent winner throughout his NFL career, but that success rarely carries over to practice situations. And honestly, that’s fine.

Dayum strait that's fine, it's what they do on the field that matters. We have an elite QB who knows how to win with an average offense. His potential this year is through the roof with the running game he will have to help him out.

Thank you Murf and everyone who posted our camp! I have a very strong feeling that Dallas is getting throttled in front of America opening Sunday Night!

Is there any idea who would play RT if Brown goes down/can't play? I'm assuming Hicks would be the guy, right?
Move Trent to RT and have either Will/Selvish at LT? Likewise, could Brown play LT if necessary?

Move Trent to RT and have either Will/Selvish at LT? Likewise, could Brown play LT if necessary?

That sounds like just about the worst move we could make. I like Selvish as a project but not a rookie starter. I'd rather have a weakness on the right side than shuffle our tackles and have two weak spots.

Your write up is flawed from the get go, if its a "power ranking" the how the hell do you rank someone #1 and then acknowledge that they are having a weak camp and then make excuses for them by saying they are known to be a poor practice player?

I dont disagree with some of what you wrote but thats some homerism at its worst, how about just dont write anything about Mcnabb if hes playing poorly in practice?

Good write up, but I am getting confused w/ conflicting stories. I read one article, in the WP, where Casey Rabach says how great Hicks is, and then I see you say the opposite. Another article in the WP, says that McNabb doesn't look so great in practice, and then you say the opposite. The one thing that everyone seems to agree on is Thomas. I am really bummed about him. Presason is just starting, so I am hoping he can turn it around.

Not dogging you @ all, just can't wait to see these guys play in a game, to see for myself.

nice write up bro. I can't argue with anything on the list, from top to bottom. I'm alittle surprised, however, that Bobby Wade didn't make the list. It seems like he's been getting some good reports in the last few days of camp.

-BTW, will you be doing this until the end of camp or will this go through until the end of the preseason. Almost like a "Top 10 most impressive players of the game" type of thing?

You know what, I like Bobby Wade. I wrote about him when camp first started and I hope he makes the team. But he lost out to Galloway because, as much as I kept telling myself the guy was washed up, he keeps finding a way to stick around and outshine the younger, more talented guys.

Your write up is flawed from the get go, if its a "power ranking" the how the hell do you rank someone #1 and then acknowledge that they are having a weak camp and then make excuses for them by saying they are known to be a poor practice player?

I dont disagree with some of what you wrote but thats some homerism at its worst, how about just dont write anything about Mcnabb if hes playing poorly in practice?

Nope. Try again.

This article, as clearly stated, is my Redskins power rankings for Week 2. It's my take on the last seven days. If he had a bad week to start the camp or didn't look good during training camp in 2004 it doesn't matter. The only thing that matters is what he did Week 2.

Good write up, but I am getting confused w/ conflicting stories. I read one article, in the WP, where Casey Rabach says how great Hicks is, and then I see you say the opposite. Another article in the WP, says that McNabb doesn't look so great in practice, and then you say the opposite. The one thing that everyone seems to agree on is Thomas. I am really bummed about him. Presason is just starting, so I am hoping he can turn it around.

Not dogging you @ all, just can't wait to see these guys play in a game, to see for myself.

I'll refrain from sharing my personal opinions on anyone writing any of the articles you referenced. Instead, I'll simply suggest you take it all with a grain of salt and believe who you want to.

For what it's worth though, I'm not the only one who thinks Hicks hasn't been stellar this week.

Archived