Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP RI: Jerry Jones: Eagles better off without Donovan McNabb

Sanders 83

I do believe McNabb is a really big upgrade. But i worry about him chokeing in the big games that matter.

As a start it would be nice to get to some big games that matter.

As for Jones he may or may not be right - but its a pretty stupid thing to say. Its like poking a stick at a big dog and then wondering why it bit you.

Kolb definitely has the best PR man in the business. You'd think he was Tom Brady the way people talk about him. Supposedly he's the most accurate and consistent QB evah. Never mind the fact that the eagles have lost 2 out of the 3 games he's played and he's a career 60% passer with a 4 td to 7 int ratio.

maybe...I just dont understand how after 2 starts people have decided that he's better than Mcnabb...looking for Dennis Green to say crown his...
Agreed especially with the fact that he played the Bucs who stunk last season and the Saints whos defense wasnt great. I think he's gonna be pretty good but saying he's better than McNabb who was the Eagles greatest QB of all time is absurd.

Jerry Jones is likely to be right. Andy Reid worked with Mike Holmgen in Green Bay. Holmgren's scheme was close in approach to Bill Walsh's WCO in which short to medium range passes were mixed with runs. Ball control was the aim.

McNabb's strength was his ability to extend plays and throw the deep pass. His weakness has been inconsistency on the short to medium range throws. So, he was misfit for the Walsh-type WCO.

Andy Reid adjusted to Donovan's game. He built a big play offense, the kind which can blow hot and cold.

While Kolb's talent can be questioned, it's obvious that he is closer to kind of QB that can run a more consistent, move-the-chains offense, tougher to hold to three-and-outs.

OldFan, one problemo, Shanny comes from same said tree. However, I think they will adjust to McNabbs strengths, stretching the field. The Shanny also values the run much more than Reid. Reid also relied on the pass way to much and that is not McNabb's fault. Kolb is unproven so that is fully non-debatable. HE could be great, not so great, not great or not great at all. :ols: But it is too early for folks to be using great in the same sentence as Kolb.

BTW, I hope that the GREAT Reid continues to ignore the importance of the run game, his and the Eagles downfall.

I think he is right, they have a real deal QB now...hate to say it.

Lets review that at the end if this year shall we. 3 games is pretty small sample size. He could be great or he could be the next Rick Mirer (great start to his career then defenses got wise to his strengths and he fell apart).

What happens when Kevin Kolb (who's only ever started 2 games) comes out and sucks balls? What happens then? I'd like to see every single person's face who claims Kolb is the next Aaron Rodgers if Kolb comes out and blows.

I could see it now..."Why did the Eagles give up McNabb?" Kevin Kolb is unproven and overrated at this point. He may prove me wrong, but until then, he's unproven and overrated.

Lets review that at the end if this year shall we. 3 games is pretty small sample size. He could be great or he could be the next Rick Mirer (great start to his career then defenses got wise to his strengths and he fell apart).
You seem to be missing the thrust of Jones's comment. He isn't predicting that Kolb is destined for stardom. He's saying that Kolb has the tools to provide a more consistent offense. Anyone familiar with Donovan's game should be able to understand his point.

As for the comparison to Rick Mirer; I think Andy Reid has a better idea of what Kolb can do than football fans had about a young QB who proved to be a flash in the pan.

At the end of they day, who cares about consistency... Win is what is required... and Mcnabb did a lots of that.... We will see if Kolb can win... I predict a CONSISTANT loser.

Also Jerry said that Reid is the best coach in NFL.... What about your own fatty coach ,Mr.Jerry ???

You seem to be missing the thrust of Jones's comment. He isn't predicting that Kolb is destined for stardom. He's saying that Kolb has the tools to provide a more consistent offense. Anyone familiar with Donovan's game should be able to understand his point.

He is saying that Kolb will be more consistent which is an arguable point in itself since we have only seen him play 3 full games. Its not unreasonable though so lets run with it. Jones then also says that he expects all games between the Cowboys to be close with Kolb at QB and Reid coaching. Unless he is expecting the Cowboys to start being mediocre then that at least suggests he expects Kolb to be consistently good not just consistent.

I again contend that we have not got anything like the sample size to know at this point what Kolb will be.

As for the comparison to Rick Mirer; I think Andy Reid has a better idea of what Kolb can do than football fans had about a young QB who proved to be a flash in the pan.

Thats the bet the Eagles have taken for sure. Plenty of good judges - not just fans - thought Mirer was destined for stardom after his first year when he won AFC rookie of the year honours as I recall.

He is saying that Kolb will be more consistent which is an arguable point in itself since we have only seen him play 3 full games. Its not unreasonable though so lets run with it. Jones then also says that he expects all games between the Cowboys to be close with Kolb at QB and Reid coaching. Unless he is expecting the Cowboys to start being mediocre then that at least suggests he expects Kolb to be consistently good not just consistent.

I again contend that we have not got anything like the sample size to know at this point what Kolb will be.

It's not the sample size we see as fans that counts. Jones thinks Andy Reid is a first-rate coach, so it's Reid's opinion on Kolb, based on a lot more evidence than three games, added to his own that supports Jones's statement.

As for me, I'm of the opinion that a grade A ball control offense will beat a grade A big play offense most of the time by keeping it off the field. Consistency is an underrated factor when grading offenses.

Thats the bet the Eagles have taken for sure. Plenty of good judges - not just fans - thought Mirer was destined for stardom after his first year when he won AFC rookie of the year honours as I recall.
The only people I regard as impartial experts on QBs are a handful of ex-NFL QBs in the media. I don't recall what they had to say about Mirer.

It's not the sample size we see as fans that counts. Jones thinks Andy Reid is a first-rate coach, so it's Reid's opinion on Kolb, based on a lot more evidence than three games, added to his own that supports Jones's statement.

I understand Reid has seen much more of Kolb than we have and is a far better judge as well. Jones opinion on Kolb is woth about as much as yours and mine IMO. All of us are guessing at this point though to a lesser or greater extent - even Andy Reid.

As for me, I'm of the opinion that a grade A ball control offense will beat a grade A big play offense most of the time by keeping it off the field. Consistency is an underrated factor when grading offenses.

I would tend to agree with this all things being equal although I recall that 'exposive plays' which change field position are one of the key stats that determine the outcome of games along with turnovers. However even if we accept your position on the balanced offense as fact - and I have already said I tend to agree - at this point we dont know if the Eagles offense under Kolb will be grade A,B or perhaps even C.

You can be consistently bad as well as consistently good.

...and I have already said I tend to agree - at this point we dont know if the Eagles offense under Kolb will be grade A,B or perhaps even C.
I think it's safe to infer from the facts that the person best-qualified to judge (Reid) thinks that, at this point in their careers, he's not going to lose much going with Kolb over McNabb.

After the second loss to Zorn's Skins in 2008, Andy's comment was,"They played the field position game better than we did." I've had the feeling for a long time that Reid would really rather play the WCO more like Walsh's original design, but Donovan's game wouldn't permit it.

. He's saying that Kolb has the tools to provide a more consistent offense. .
After the second loss to Zorn's Skins in 2008, Andy's comment was,"They played the field position game better than we did." I've had the feeling for a long time that Reid would really rather play the WCO more like Walsh's original design, but Donovan's game wouldn't permit it.

The Eagles will never have a consistent offense under Reid until he actually pays more than lip service to running the ball.

It's awfully hard to play the field position game when your offense is as unbalanced as Reid's.

Archived