Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Cowboys' red-zone conerns carry over

tr1

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/columns/story?columnist=watkins_calvin&id=5448360

CANTON, Ohio -- The Dallas Cowboys ended a three-game Hall of Fame game losing streak Sunday night against the Cincinnati Bengals. But the fact that the defense scored the Cowboys' only touchdown, in a 16-7 victory over the Bengals is a little concerning.

It's only one preseason game and the Cowboys have four remaining, with the next one scheduled for Thursday against Oakland. But the offense struggled. Dallas was 0-for-3 in the red zone Sunday.

Last season, the Cowboys scored 52 percent of the time in the red zone, good for 14th in the league. On third down, the Cowboys converted 37 percent of plays in the red zone, ranking 17th. In red-zone passing, Tony Romo sits to pee threw 15 touchdowns and just three interceptions, but his quarterback rating of 81.5 percent made him the 19th best in that area.

Offensive coordinator Jason Garrett said he takes full responsibility for the failures inside the red zone because he's calling the plays. Yet execution is the key here, and the Cowboys didn't do it.

"I thought we were OK," Garrett said of the offense overall, "but obviously we have a lot of areas to improve upon and we had a lot of really good drives, but it is a different package of plays in these preseason games. We're not doing a whole lot from a scheme standpoint. Guys have to stand in there and execute."

Overall, the Cowboys averaged just 2.9 yards per carry, and their four quarterbacks combined for a 73.2 passer rating. The passers were sacked five times out of 41 throws.

The opening drive of the game showed just what the Cowboys do have in their offense: talent. :rolleyes:

They drove from their own 35 to the Bengals' 19 after Romo sits to pee found Roy Williams with a 19-yard pass completion.

Romo sits to pee completed consecutive passes to one of his favorite targets, Patrick Crayton, for a combined 14 yards to get into the red zone.

After a penalty moved the ball to the Bengals' 2, Romo sits to pee threw an incomplete pass to Williams in the end zone. Romo sits to pee went back to Williams in the end zone but this was under pressure from the middle, and he lofted a ball that was high and just out of Williams' reach.

On a third-and-goal, Romo sits to pee couldn't find anybody open. As Felix Jones ran a route toward the sideline, the pass fell incomplete.

The good thing about this series is that Romo sits to pee is throwing to Williams and tight end Jason Witten isn't blocking. Last season, Witten remained at the line of scrimmage in the red zone as the Cowboys tried to score. Now, Witten is running more routes into the end zone, allowing Romo sits to pee to have more options.

"It's kind of difficult because you've got to go with the stuff that's vanilla," Romo sits to pee said. "At the same time we do need to get the ball in and that's important, and we're going to work on that this week."

As the game wore on, Garrett was hampered personnel-wise because backup tight end John Phillips was lost to a severe knee injury. It limited Garrett in what he could do in terms of his two-and-three tight end sets. Martellus Bennett missed the game, still recovering from an ankle injury.

So Garrett was left with Kevin Brock and Scott Sicko, but Brock suffered a sprained right ankle in the game.

Injuries happen. Still, not getting a score against the Bengals' defense was disappointing.

"Our goal is to score every time we get down there, and we have the weapons to do it," Williams said. "We just have to execute."

'Vanilla' will be the new puke fan mantra this week...:rotflmao:

BTW, I didn't see the game, but when ESPN dumps all over the pukes in a pre-season win, I'd tell puke fans to watch out.

It looks like it's going to be a very, very disappointing year.

:ols:

'Vanilla' will be the new puke fan mantra this week...:rotflmao:

BTW, I didn't see the game, but when ESPN dumps all over the pukes in a pre-season win, I'd tell puke fans to watch out.

It looks like it's going to be a very, very disappointing year.

:ols:

surely you can do better than this.......on second thought, no you can't

"It's kind of difficult because you've got to go with the stuff that's vanilla," Romo sits to pee said. "At the same time we do need to get the ball in and that's important, and we're going to work on that this week."

"Work on it this week"?...Romo sits to pee and Garrett have been together for, what...4 years? You'd like to think they'd already have it down pat by now.

Betcha Jason Campbell would have got it in lol :D...

LOL at talking about red-zone woes based on the Hall of Fame game....as much as I wish it could be true.....come on.....just dumb.

Um, I think they were basing it off of Dallas' middle-of-the-pack red zone rankings last season as well...kind of like saying "They were average at best in the red zone in 2009...and they were terrible in the red zone in the HOF preseason game. Is this something for the Cowboys to worry about?"

Yeah I understand. I am not saying the Cowboys aren't going to have red-zone woes come the regular season, but I mean their starters played what a single series, and Felix Jones scores the TD easily if not for his fumble, of course at the same too bad you fumbled.

Now if we are in preseason game #3 and the starters have still not put it in the endzone, then yeah, maybe we begin the conversation.

LOL at talking about red-zone woes based on the Hall of Fame game....as much as I wish it could be true.....come on.....just dumb.

True.

While the Cowboys did look sloppy last night (didn't they have like 6 fumbles... not all of them lost), Romo sits to pee only played one drive. Hardly a chance to get going.

Still, it is fun to beat them up about it :D :dallasuck

Yeah I understand. I am not saying the Cowboys aren't going to have red-zone woes come the regular season, but I mean their starters played what a single series, and Felix Jones scores the TD easily if not for his fumble, of course at the same too bad you fumbled.

Now if we are in preseason game #3 and the starters have still not put it in the endzone, then yeah, maybe we begin the conversation.

But there's very little from last year to suggest that the Cowboys' starters would somehow be automatic in the red zone. For all the talk of Dallas' "high powered offense", their red zone productivity was lacking last season...and right now, it doesn't seem to have improved any, at least based on the HOF game. That, I think, is the main point of the article...and it's a great jumping-off point for some good ol' Cowboys bashing lol :thumbsup:

If this had been the Redskins, 98% of this board would see it as a bad sign lol..."Ut oh, they're STILL having troubles in the red zone!"

Um, I think they were basing it off of Dallas' middle-of-the-pack red zone rankings last season as well...kind of like saying "They were average at best in the red zone in 2009...and they were terrible in the red zone in the HOF preseason game. Is this something for the Cowboys to worry about?"

Not to mention the Red Zone woes happenned to the "high-powered" 1st team O. If it weren't for an offsides call, the first team wouldn't have even gotten a field goal (the offsides happenned on a fumble that the Bengals recovered in the end zone).

Great start to the season Tony!

Oh noes, our starters looked horrible on their first game of the season!!!!!!! OFF THE CLIFF BOYS!!!

Oh wait, it was a pre season game and they have 4 more. Ohhh lordy, our season is over, what ever are we going to do. If only we didnt have 4 wins last year to prove to anyone we were decent at scoring. Oh wait, we won the division. Silly us, for the sake of the rest of the division, they cant even worry if its going to be a problem, because we still beat the rest of the division to own it with that problem, if its fixed, it could get worse.

You better nitpick evey problem TR1, because if not, this team just gets better and better.

Good thing for you tho, the Bengals answered on their first possesion, oh WAIT, NO THEY DIDNT!!!!!!!!

I hope our defense continues to suck that horrible. Lucky for TR1 Dallas only plays offense, they dont have a defense or special teams like the rest of the league.

Not to mention the Red Zone woes happenned to the "high-powered" 1st team O. If it weren't for an offsides call, the first team wouldn't have even gotten a field goal (the offsides happenned on a fumble that the Bengals recovered in the end zone).

Great start to the season Tony!

Yes, it did, all the way to the top of the division, how did that work for the rest of you guys with no red zone woes?

Yes, it did, all the way to the top of the division, how did that work for the rest of you guys with no red zone woes?

You're already in the playoffs this year, after the first preseason game? Congratulations, Cowboys. One preseason game and you're in the playoffs. Wouldn't it be nice though if they could score a touchdown from the 3 yard line in four plays?

Classic, DOTS, just classic. You actually believe the Redskins didn't have Red Zone problems? Did wiki tell you that?

You're already in the playoffs this year, after the first preseason game? Congratulations, Cowboys. One preseason game and you're in the playoffs. Wouldn't it be nice though if they could score a touchdown from the 3 yard line in four plays?

Classic, DOTS, just classic. You actually believe the Redskins didn't have Red Zone problems? Did wiki tell you that?

Or the Redskins red-zone problems are some how a factor in Dallas' solution to their own red zone woes?

Oh wait, we won the division. Silly us, for the sake of the rest of the division, they cant even worry if its going to be a problem, because we still beat the rest of the division to own it with that problem, if its fixed, it could get worse.

Does anyone speak retard that can translate this?

You better nitpick evey problem TR1, because if not, this team just gets better and better.

And you better downplay and ignore every potential problem...

Well, it may be premature, but last year they had red zone problems, so of course it'll be a column today.

I don't know what to think about Romo sits to pee. He's easily one of the most athletic individuals on the field. Does that make him a great QB? Maybe not, but he makes some damn pretty plays at times.

One thing I did like to see from him was the ill advised pump fake on 3rd and goal I think it was. He barely had time to make the throw. Add a pump fake, and the pass goes off the mark, because he's getting hit. I want to keep seeing things like this from him.

whats concerning, if it was a real game, dont you think Barber would have at least 1 shot at it?

then he shoulda ran it in......real game or not. You play these preseason games for "situational" purposes.........what teams like to do in the preseason is get in those tough situations and find out what ya got. No reason in hell to not score a TD there...Im not saying they cant and/or wont, but this is why you have the preseason......to sure up your team in those "situations"........

then he shoulda ran it in......real game or not. You play these preseason games for "situational" purposes.........what teams like to do in the preseason is get in those tough situations and find out what ya got. No reason in hell to not score a TD there...Im not saying they cant and/or wont, but this is why you have the preseason......to sure up your team in those "situations"........

thats right and thats why Garrett took the 3 shots, if we get in great if not, than Barber knows its all him when it matters. We drafted Bennett for that purpose and it hasnt panned out, we also have Witten and until last nite Phillips, but Garrett wanted to see what else we could do. The back shoulder throw isnt something Romo sits to pee unfamiliar with so its all right.

They took teh situation, they ate up the Bengals Zimmers number 1 defense and took a situation and played with some ideas, thats all. Well worth the effort. Now they got tape, go back and show the guys where they went wrong, what is wrong with that?

Archived