Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

fitness assistance needed

joeknows

Huh? Being a Chef is one of the most physically demanding job there is. The only fat chefs you meet are celebrity chefs who haven't been in a working kitchen in a decade.

So, just thought that was strange.

On another note, good luck with your reunion! I know you don't want to hear it, but your best bet to make a good first impression is to quit smoking. Just sayin' :silly:

yes being a chef is demanding at times but i have been on my ass since march because of getting ready to open a place. when i work i dont eat much because being around food all the time makes me lose my appetite.

and yeah i know smoking is bad but she is a smoker too. maybe thats something she and i can accomplish together.

DH what's your background/expertise on the matter? I've always found KDawg knowledgeable about matters fitness.

Lighten up a little too. It's a Redskins message board. It's the "tailgate" akin to bs'ing before the game with usually non-experts.

Besides being a football coach and a professional in a healthcare field ?

and yeah i know smoking is bad but she is a smoker too. maybe thats something she and i can accomplish together.

What if she is not interested in quitting ?

Who's that? DH or KDawg?

"Professional in a healthcare field," what is that exactly? A hospital administrator? A medical billing person? An EMT? A nutritionist? Depending on what it is, it doesn't exactly make him/her any more knowledgeable than another well read person on the subject."

DH what's your background/expertise on the matter? I've always found KDawg knowledgeable about matters fitness.

Lighten up a little too. It's a Redskins message board. It's the "tailgate" akin to bs'ing before the game with usually non-experts.

My post wasn't directed at KDawg. There will be a time when I will have information to answer the question. At this point in my career, I don't. Hence, I didn't offer any advice. And my advice was to seek out a reputable professional.

When it comes to peoples' health and wellness.... I think that's about as serious as business gets. And people offering uneducated and inexperienced opinions is dangerous. Period.

That's why I shared this opinion in this thread... and not in any of the other 3 million posts in the tailgate.

BS'ing is fine.... but people need to know when they don't know something. And be quiet.

People offering advice on topics they know nothing about it... so much so that it borders idiocy to anyone who does.... is a large pet peeve of mine on ES.com

I wish people would refrain from offering advice and defer to professionals. And don't see just any professional.... get referrals and do your due diligence.

Due diligence doesn't include asking random people on a message board.

Not if you're truly serious about the topic... and especially about matters of health.

First off, I should clarify that by running I mean aerobic type cardio. Aerobic cardio teaches your body to utilize "fat" more efficiently. Aerobic cardiovascular work will cause your heart to get more healthy, for sure, but it also allows more stores of fat to remain. Afterall, your body is using it more efficiently, meaning it burns less of it for fuel.

The type of cardiovascular work that should be done for weight loss is anaerobic type work. Things like sprints, sled drags, hill runs, HIIT, even high intensity, shorter distance pool swims.

Weight loss occurs primarily in the kitchen with exercise as a second source of fat loss. I've seen many, many large people who changed their diet (probably not as well as it should have been) that have been unable to strip weight when they focus their entire effort on aerobic cardio. In fact, I've seen more people gain weight than I've seen lose it. People "run" for three weeks and notice very little change and then decide they're going to eat again.

I've also seen some of the larger type people who have succeeded on a aerobic only routine become extremely skinny fat due to their inability/unwillingness to weight train during the process. On the same token, I've seen people who have needed to drop a lot of weight (30+ pounds) succeed via nutrition but still finish unhappy with their body due to the skinny fat phenomenon.

A proper weight loss program incorporates weight training with some kind of conditioning work... Complexes are a great way to shed some pounds. Complexes and short burst cardio sessions also allow the body to burn more calories AFTER exercise is completed. Long distance (aerobic) cardio burns more calories than short distance stuff, but it also takes longer and due to the long nature of activity it can lead to muscle being burned for energy.

Running has its place in the exercise world, but it's not best for weight loss. If done appropriately with a proper weight training and diet changes than it can be effective. I just find that anaerobic work is much better in that regard.

Thanks for the props, Elessar.

Besides myself being a football coach and a Physical Education Teacher? As well as someone who has training several high school age kids and other folks with success? Whether weight loss or strength was the goal?

There are differing opinions on the matter.

Who's that? DH or KDawg?

"Professional in a healthcare field," what is that exactly? A hospital administrator? A medical billing person? An EMT? A nutritionist? Depending on what it is, it doesn't exactly make him/her any more knowledgeable than another well read person on the subject."

See a "reputable" professional. Whoever that may be.

Fix your diet.. perhaps a nutritionist or naturopathic doctor. Exercise program? How about a physical therapist?

Not just any professional... but a "reputable" one. Referred by many people from people who display actual results.

But the regular anoymous joe dispensing health advice on a public message board is just ignorant.

And you want to sue doctors out their butts... with all the training they have. But people don't have problems dispensing bad and uninformed advice to others. :)

You should go see a doctor if you haven't recently to get a complete physical before you go all out trying to get in shape. My sure your heart can handle it.

Also, for motivation, keep a picture of her in your pocket. Look at it when you need to.

You should go see a doctor if you haven't recently to get a complete physical before you go all out trying to get in shape. My sure your heart can handle it.

Also, for motivation, keep a picture of her in your pocket. Look at it when you need to.

This is the best advice in this thread. For someone who has been a long time smoker, this is a very important step. Most exercise programs you read about or watch on video will place a warning ahead of time to see a physician before using the program. It's for a reason.

Fix your diet.. perhaps a nutritionist or naturopathic doctor. Exercise program? How about a physical therapist?

Not just any professional... but a "reputable" one. Referred by many people from people who display actual results.

But the regular anoymous joe dispensing health advice on a public message board is just ignorant.

And you want to sue doctors out their butts... with all the training they have. But people don't have problems dispensing bad and uninformed advice to others. :)

I really don't see this thread as requesting "health advice" any more than "the workout thread" or "the running thread" to name 2 that spend a fair amount of time on the front page. Do you have a problem with those? Seeking professional help is great. It also costs money. I would love to have a personal trainer, nutritionist, chef(or at least someone to do the grocery shopping) but all that stuff costs money.

If someone came on here asking what they should do about the tingling in their arm, or their blurry vision, or the lump that they feel in their armpit or something along those lines then I would be 100% behind you in that recommendation. But this is just some guy that wants to lose a few pounds to impress a girl he hasn't seen in a while. Really the advice for that is pretty basic...clean up your diet and do some exercise. At this point pretty much ANY exercise will offer some benefits for him.

As for the recommendation to see a physical therapist...not sure what that would do for him? I didn't see anything about an injury he was dealing with....his funds would probably be better spent on a trainer if anything.

DH, do you think I offered any poor advice? My first statement centered on the idea of joining a good gym and working closely with the trainers. I merely offered some suggestions based on the exercises and routines that I utilize on a regular basis. Nothing is set in stone, but making a personal plea to quit smoking is good advice too, imho.

http://shine.yahoo.com/event/loveyourbody/5-fitness-myths-you-need-to-forget-2176725/

5 Fitness Myths You Need to Forget

by Reader's Digest Magazine, on Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:07pm PDT

To be fit you need to stop letting myths like these hold you back.

1. Walking is not as effective as running.

Sure, you'll burn about twice as many calories running for 30 minutes than walking for 30 minutes. But if a runner and a walker cover the same distance, they burn about the same number of calories. So if you're willing to take the 'slow route,' you'll likely lose just as much weight. In fact, studies have proved that how long you exercise matters more than how hard you exercise.

2. Exercise increases hunger

It's a common misconception: If you burn hundreds of calories during a workout, you'll end up eating more. But research shows that exercise has no effect on a person's food needs, with the exception of endurance athletes who exercise for two hours a day or more. In fact, research shows that exercise often suppresses hunger during and after the workout.

3. It doesn't matter where your calories come from

Calories are not created equal. First, some foods (in particular, proteins) take more energy to chew, digest, metabolize, and store than others. Others (such as fats and carbohydrates) require fewer calories to digest and store. Second, different food types have different effects on your blood sugar. Refined carbohydrates (think white bread, cookies, and fruit drinks) raise blood sugar levels dramatically, which encourages fat storage, weight gain, and hunger. Fibrous foods like apples, as well as proteins, raise blood sugar less, making them friendlier to your waistline. Finally, foods that contain a lot of water, such as vegetables and soup, tend to fill the belly on fewer calories, so you'll stop eating them way before you stop eating more calorie-dense foods.

4. Diet alone is enough for sustained weight loss

You'll lose weight in the short term by slashing calories, but experts say exercise is what keeps pounds off for good. Exercise burns calories, of course. It also builds muscle, which takes up less space than fat. Muscle tissue also requires more calories to sustain it than fat tissue does. In other words, the more muscle tissue you have, the more calories you'll burn at rest. In fact, some studies suggest that over the long term, if you had a choice of eating consistently less or exercising consistently more, exercise would be the better weight-loss choice.

5. There is no best time for exercise

If you're simply walking to get healthy or take off some weight, it doesn't matter when you do it, as long as you do it. But if you're an athlete looking for the best-quality workout, choose the late afternoon, when body temperature is highest. Muscles are warm, reaction time is quick, and strength is at its peak. If you push yourself harder as a result, you will burn more calories.

Just to verify some earlier thoughts...

Item No. 1 - My walking four miles a day is the same as jogging four miles a day. Good news for the OP.

Item No. 2 - Exercise does not increase hunger. Great news indeed.

Item No. 3 - Maintaining a good diet is very important.

Item No. 4 - Exercise is the key to losing weight, especially building muscle mass/tissue.

Item No. 5 - The vast majority of time that is spent with my trainers and in my routines is the afternoon hours. Nothing like validation - it's great to work with professionals who know the business like the back of their hands.

5 is kind of debatable to me. Though it does present a certain amount of flexibility. It's been my experience,both as a trainer and otherwise,that the time of day can effect the amount of energy you can expend on the workout. Thus affecting the workout and the results as well. This depending on job,stress,sleep,ect. That and day of week too. Put it this way,(for one,specific example). I spent 8-9 hours a day working construction,(this just in). Would work out usually after the job. Now how much energy and strength do they think I have after doing a job like that all day? Yeah. I was able to work out earlier many times over the years due to weather and such. Big difference needless to say. Now by Friday,well,that probably goes without saying. I found this to be true with some clients as well. Lot's of variables for that one. They may be playing the averages there though,(that and I'm no pro at this. Just my 2 cents).

well man im not a complete idiot.... but i am positive that with all the members here, that someone has had to have done it on their own.... my weight has been up and down through the years but i have never been obese nor am i now. im sure someone has been there and done it.

and a couple of yall mentioned about seeing the dr. i said in the op i had. that said.... it wasnt about beginning a health program.

and to be honest this isnt about health yall. this is about vanity. im not FAT but i feel a bit sloppy. i just want to make a decent re-impression on her.

well man im not a complete idiot.... but i am positive that with all the members here, that someone has had to have done it on their own.... my weight has been up and down through the years but i have never been obese nor am i now. im sure someone has been there and done it.

and a couple of yall mentioned about seeing the dr. i said in the op i had. that said.... it wasnt about beginning a health program.

and to be honest this isnt about health yall. this is about vanity. im not FAT but i feel a bit sloppy. i just want to make a decent re-impression on her.

Just to clarify, that quoted post wasn't from me. I don't know why my name is attached to it.

Who's that? DH or KDawg?

DH.

Besides myself being a football coach and a Physical Education Teacher? As well as someone who has training several high school age kids and other folks with success? Whether weight loss or strength was the goal?

There are differing opinions on the matter.

I was talking about DH not you. I know what you do as well. Hell, I met you a few years back at training camp.

[ :)

I see the misquote.

People just need to seek pros. I have a good buddy that is a professional trainer and has given me plenty of advice. I am just lazy and feel that I don't need a trainer to lose about 15 pounds. Hell, I lost 50 on my own. I just need to get focused again and do the things I know work for me to get back in the 185 range. Sitting at 202 sucks.

Archived