Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NCAA Football 2010 Week 1: Boise St vs VT tonight (discussion here)

SkinsHokieFan

Agree. Look at UVA this decade. They have produced tons of NFL players (Schuab, D'Brick Fergeson come to mind right away) yet have sucked the entire decade save a couple of tire bowls

Yep, and on the flip side, you have programs like VT or Georgia Tech who find underrated kids or even less talented kids in the 2 to 3 star range, and with great S&C programs and disciplined coaching in the right systems, get those kids to outperform their recruiting class ranking and achieve a lot of success on the field.

Of course, it's when you get the top recruiting classes combined with the top coaching/development that you get USC, UF, Bama, Texas, and Ohio State.

The FSU/Maryland game last year ended up being a pretty exciting game. The final drive with Greg Reid's ridiculous return and E.J. Manuel taking over was awesome.

it was a good game.

the maryland o-line dominated fsu all day. IIRC it was almost double the time of possesion in marylands favor and they could have easily won that game if not for that scorching return.

Well they are at the mercy of their conference...they can't will their rival teams to magically be better. They just moved up to the MTN West and 1 of the 3 best teams in the MW simultaneously bolted to Pac 10...not much Boise can do about that either. I understand when the detractors say that Boise St only has to "get up" for 1-2 games a year as opposed to an SEC or Big 12 team, but you also have to take into account the teams in those conferences have way more depth, higher rated recruits, and an infinitely higher athletic budget. All we have is an AWESOME coach who unfortunately, will someday be lured away to a bigger school (Michigan?).

Clearly they are at the mercy of their conference, but that doesn't take away from the fact that their conference simply cannot hold up to the BCS conferences. Yes, even the Big East.

The point is, even though you cant blame Boise for playing in their conference, putting them down for playing a mediocre schedule is still a very valid point in keeping them out of the NCG in favor of a bigger school.

I'm not saying that Boise is a bad team, but I am certainly tired of hearing Boise fans claiming that an undefeated Bronco team would have the same chance at making the NCG as an undefeated Big 12 or Big 10 team. It's normal for fans of a team to buy into the media hype that ESPN brings down upon them, but they have to learn where to draw the line. Right now Boise fans are in a strange spot, though they may not realize it yet. They are just starting to get a taste of what it's like to get hyped up every year. They dont seem to realize yet that most seasons will end in disappointment. Even the big schools will experience failure at one point.

1. i do believe Boise gets the nod over a 1 loss BCS team because they start off ranked so high#5. specifically over a 1 loss OSU team because they don't play a conf. champ. thus don't have the extra game to put them over the top. As for Bama. well as a Bama fan, i do believe we are the best team in the country but that said i don't think we run the table. our schedule is way too hard this year. But i do believe we will win the SEC and are Sugar bowl bound. W/o a dominant team like tebow's gators in the east, there really won't be that boost in rankings when we beat a 1 or more likely 2 loss SEC east team in the SEC champ. Thus i think Boise is in if they run the table. only way they are out is if 2 BSC schools go undefeated. I don't think its likely.

2. regarding the age old question SEC vs. B10 (or any other conf.) Obviously at the top SEC seperates themselves. but what i think is lost in the discussion is the atmospheres, the fans, the swagger and the rivalries. Middle of the pack and bottom feeders (except for maybe Vandy) teams are what make the SEC season so hard. in most other conferences the top tier teams don't really have to worry about anyone else. (this isn't true for the ACC, but that's because no one has really seperated themselves from the rest of the pack) OSU isn't really worried about Northwestern, more importantly NW knows they can't play w/ OSU. look at the games. no one is in the stands. But in the SEC its any given Saturday. The culture, the hype, the magnitude and the passion creates this pressure cooker where anything can happen. Tebow's championship they lost to a young ole' miss team in Gainseville. Bama was a terrence cody block away from losing to a very mediocre Tennessee team. Spurriers ****'s are always dangerous. LSU is well LSU. Georgia can beat any team in the country. Houston Nutt' Rebel's , Mallett, Patrino's razorbacks. Hell even Auburn is gonna bring it every Sat. In a vaccume maybe some of the teams aren't that impressive. and maybe in a bowl game against a upper tier of a lesser conf. these teams would lose. But during the SEC regular season, these teams, these stadiums, fans and tradition are a nightmare. there are more crazed fans at an Auburn v. Georgia game then there are at the ACC championship, hell then the freaking Orange bowl. Turn on CBS on saturday and you'd think you were watching an NFL playoff game. its the passion and atmosphere that makes the SEC so hard.

Out of town on BB so sorry I don't have the patience to multi quote:

1. SPARTY: until FSU proves on the field that its defense has improved, talking in hypotheticals like "talent" is hot air in my opinion. You all have some big time players, but some of those same big time guys were run up and down the field by almost every ACC team last season.

On offense, your stacked. My offensive questions were for UNC (why I said respectively about offensive and defensive ?s for UNC and FSU)

2. If you are going to LSU, make sure you go with someone from there or the area. Rough stadium atmosphere is an understatement - I have had multiple friends get bags of piss heaved on them in the visitors section. If you are with a LSU fans, I hear they treat you right, but just some no name visitor? Get ready to catch hell for 3.5 hours from several thousand cajuns who have been drinking since dawn.

3. The SEC is both top heavy and deep. 6-8 SECteams would have legitamte shots to win the ACC or B10. I don't believe any ACC team could win the SECOND (and would struggle to win more than 4 conf games), and only OSU would challenge for atlanta from the big 10.

4. UVAs excellent record with NFL players the past decade is a testiment to how well Groh recruited top talent but completely failed in every other aspect of coaching. He was horrible at relating and motivation 18 year olds, choosing to berate and talk down publically to players, as well as being a horrid tactician. Inexcusable the talent he had his tenure for such mediocre results. How can so many players perform at such a higher level once out of UVA? They go to real teams with real S and C, player development, and coaching. One of the best bargains in the draft was an al groh player - you know he underwhelmed in college and his ceiling was much higher than his college stats and results would indicate. Just watch, chris cook is going to be a monster on the vikings.

My only sanity saving thought is London was our chief recruiter the middle part of this decade, so we can hope for the same talent influx, with superior coach and development. Please let this happen. Being a wahoo and a skin is quite taxing, especially since the Braves are falling apart before my eyes...

Out of town on BB so sorry I don't have the patience to multi quote:

1. SPARTY: until FSU proves on the field that its defense has improved, talking in hypotheticals like "talent" is hot air in my opinion. You all have some big time players, but some of those same big time guys were run up and down the field by almost every ACC team last season.

Well I said that I expect FSU to finish the season ranked as a top 40 unit. That's neither a stretch or making a particularly large claim (like if I was to say that they'll be a top 15 unit or something).

You'd also be surprised at the benefit those big time guys will receive when they actually have defensive playbooks to study (which they didn't have until now), they actually have a strength & conditioning program for the entire off-season (they didn't have that until now), and they actually have coaches who play the best players regardless of seniority or personal agendas (blatant racism included, as was the case last year along the d-line).

Part of FSU's defensive collapse last year was a result of poor recruiting along the d-line in 2006 and 2007, but largely due to probably the worst coaching in any BCS program. Now that guys are actually getting coached, they're not going to be run up and down the field anymore.

Part of FSU's defensive collapse last year was a result of poor recruiting along the d-line in 2006 and 2007, but largely due to probably the worst coaching in any BCS program. Now that guys are actually getting coached, they're not going to be run up and down the field anymore.

I was just watching highlights from the VT-FSU 2007 game.

Seriously, that D had no clue what to do that day. 3rd and 31 conversions, cover 0 coverage turning into easy TDs, it was not pretty.

I expect that D will only get better over the next few years

Well I said that I expect FSU to finish the season ranked as a top 40 unit. That's neither a stretch or making a particularly large claim (like if I was to say that they'll be a top 15 unit or something).

You'd also be surprised at the benefit those big time guys will receive when they actually have defensive playbooks to study (which they didn't have until now), they actually have a strength & conditioning program for the entire off-season (they didn't have that until now), and they actually have coaches who play the best players regardless of seniority or personal agendas (blatant racism included, as was the case last year along the d-line).

599115.jpg

I was just watching highlights from the VT-FSU 2007 game.

Seriously, that D had no clue what to do that day. 3rd and 31 conversions, cover 0 coverage turning into easy TDs, it was not pretty.

I expect that D will only get better over the next few years

You have no idea.

Especially while being spoiled by Bud Foster's defense.

I love Mickey Andrews for what he did in the 80s and 90s, and sticking through things this past decade even after his son killed himself and he didn't want to coach anymore (he just stayed on as a personal favor to Jimbo), but his scheme was awful for modern offenses. And his assistant coaches were so pathetic it's actually sad for a program like FSU to have hired guys like that *coughBowden'sfaultcough* The only times FSU had a good defense was when they had ridiculous players like Everette Brown, Ernie Sims, Lawrence Timmons, Broderick Bunkley, etc. to help pick up the slack with their pure talent.

The UF game every year with Urban Meyer's spread offense was the worst. Every ****ing year Tebow was guaranteed to kill us while our players ran themselves out of position constantly. I think that was the worst defense UF played each season (outside of their cupcake D-1AA opponents).

Probably going to be 3 ranked teams left as season plays out

UNC / VT / Miami

Don't believe in GT, have you ever seen Nesbitt play QB? ROFL

Why do you laugh at this? This tells me YOU haven't watched the guy. He's a great fit for the system Johnson runs. What's more remarkable is, I think he was already there, prior to Johnson coming there. So he had never run the triple option before. He's a beast running the ball. And he hit some long passes on teams when they got too comfortable playing the run.

I think you should be laughing at UNC's QB, Yates. What a joke that guy is. He will probably prevent them from possibly having a very good season. Guy is AWFUL.

Why do you laugh at this? This tells me YOU haven't watched the guy. He's a great fit for the system Johnson runs. What's more remarkable is, I think he was already there, prior to Johnson coming there. So he had never run the triple option before. He's a beast running the ball. And he hit some long passes on teams when they got too comfortable playing the run.

I think you should be laughing at UNC's QB, Yates. What a joke that guy is. He will probably prevent them from possibly having a very good season. Guy is AWFUL.

Agreed.

Nesbitt isn't going to be any kind of NFL QB prospect or anything, but he's an awesome triple option QB, and it's very difficult to run that offense as well as he does.

I really think Yates could be the worst starting QB in the ACC. He is terrible. He cost UNC their bowl game against Pitt last year by himself.

As someone who has recordings of the last 2 seasons of UNC football on radio I know how bad Yates is

Remember when his backup was Paulus' brother :ols:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5446697

Florida State has dismissed junior receiver Jarmon Fortson from the football team, coach Jimbo Fisher confirmed on Sunday.

"He has been dismissed for a violation of team rules," Fisher said. "We wish him the best in everything he does. We love him."

Sources close to the situation told ESPN.com that Fortson was dismissed for multiple failed drug tests.

He was dismissed for a lot more than failed drug tests.

It's too bad, because with his talent, size, and physical abilities, he could have had a good chance of being a 3rd-4th round pick this year. But he can't keep his head on straight and now it's likely cost him his future in football.

meh, the NFL is forgiving of big, fast guys—they'll find him if he's good and consider him a bargain in the 7th.

Eh, I don't think that will be the case this time.

He could have used one more year to solidify his route running, concentration, strength & conditioning, etc. He's not quite seasoned enough for the NFL yet, and he's not going to very much development if he transfers to a school like South Alabama or somewhere similar.

Secondly, and more importantly, when you have serious character concerns like Fortson has, that's a major red flag that teams only take a draft pick chance on when you have the stats and development to make the risk worthwhile.

Archived