Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NCAA Football 2010 Week 1: Boise St vs VT tonight (discussion here)

SkinsHokieFan

true. And this is a sincere question. Did Lav Coles have good numbers before he got booted out?

Not anything eye popping. During his junior year (his last season) he had 19 catches for 400 yards and 3 TDs, which was his best year. His main thing was working the slot or sometimes outside as a vertical threat with his insane speed, but he was definitely the 3rd guy behind Peter Warrick and Ron Dugans.

Coles got a tough break and he still harbors a serious grudge against FSU for it, but he didn't do himself any favors before getting kicked out considering he had a reputation as a trouble maker and was a pain in the ass for FSU behind the scenes.

Not anything eye popping. During his junior year (his last season) he had 19 catches for 400 yards and 3 TDs, which was his best year. His main thing was working the slot or sometimes outside as a vertical threat with his insane speed, but he was definitely the 3rd guy behind Peter Warrick and Ron Dugans.

Coles got a tough break and he still harbors a serious grudge against FSU for it, but he didn't do himself any favors before getting kicked out considering he had a reputation as a trouble maker and was a pain in the ass for FSU behind the scenes.

Wasn't Coles the guy who went on Oprah and confessed that his dad had raped him growing up? I'm pretty sure I have the right guy. You know he had to be dealing with alot of issues growing up.

Wasn't Coles the guy who went on Oprah and confessed that his dad had raped him growing up? I'm pretty sure I have the right guy. You know he had to be dealing with alot of issues growing up.

Yeah a few years ago he came out and said his dad molested him. At least that's what I remember.

Pretty tragic.

I am very much looking forward to 2011, when Boise moves to a real conference. I genuinely think people fail to realize how bad the WAC is. While the MWC will never be confused with the SEC, it's a significant step up.

Im also genuinely looking forward to CFB 2011.

Because there's going to be no NFL 2011.

Clearly they are at the mercy of their conference, but that doesn't take away from the fact that their conference simply cannot hold up to the BCS conferences. Yes, even the Big East.

The point is, even though you cant blame Boise for playing in their conference, putting them down for playing a mediocre schedule is still a very valid point in keeping them out of the NCG in favor of a bigger school.

I'm not saying that Boise is a bad team, but I am certainly tired of hearing Boise fans claiming that an undefeated Bronco team would have the same chance at making the NCG as an undefeated Big 12 or Big 10 team. It's normal for fans of a team to buy into the media hype that ESPN brings down upon them, but they have to learn where to draw the line. Right now Boise fans are in a strange spot, though they may not realize it yet. They are just starting to get a taste of what it's like to get hyped up every year. They dont seem to realize yet that most seasons will end in disappointment. Even the big schools will experience failure at one point.

Well I'm sure you probably do hear that a lot from Bronco fans, but I have not said that. I will say that apparently the BCS selection committee must be worried about something though, because now they won't even let a non AQ play a BCS team in the big bowls...they make them play each other.

THE KNOWLEDGE shall provide a brief 2010 season review

of the Boise State Broncos

yes

The date is Jan 10, 2011 in the Arizona desert. The BS Broncos have achieved the penultimate and reached the National Championship game

the glory of this achievement is the talk of the nation... on how they defeated a top 10 team early in the season, and never looked back as all other teams ahead of them lost and no other team remained undefeated

yes

the euphoria would, however, not carry into the night

unfortunately for the BS Broncos, they would be overmatched and go on to lose the game that night

to the Wolverines of Michigan

yes

You heard it here first. Michigan national champions.

This is a bombshell

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/accnow/balmer-paid-for-trip-to-california-for-uncs-austin-thomas

Former North Carolina football player Kentwan Balmer paid for his college teammates, Marvin Austin and Cam Thomas, to travel to California in the summer of 2009, Thomas said Tuesday.

Thomas, a rookie defensive tackle for the San Diego Chargers, did not provide financial details, or the dates, but said he and Austin worked out at the Proactive Sports Performance in Westlake Village, Calif. in the summer before the 2009 season.

Reached by phone on Tuesday afternoon, Thomas, who started all 13 games for UNC in the 2009 season, said he and Austin took the trip together and "'Twan paid for [the trip]." Thomas, the Chargers' fifth-round pick, then declined further comment.

Balmer, Thomas and Austin were teammates at UNC for the 2007 season and each played defensive tackle. Their position coach was John Blake, UNC's recruiting coordinator and associate head coach. Austin and Blake's relationship with California-based agent Gary Wichard has become a part of the NCAA investigation into the UNC football program, Wichard said last Thursday.

The NCAA returned to Chapel Hill on Aug. 4 after making initial visits on July 12 and July 13 to interview an undisclosed number of players, including Austin, about receiving improper benefits from an agent.

Under NCAA bylaw 12.1.2.1.6, or more commonly referred to as the "preferential treatment" bylaw, athletes can't receive "preferential treatment, benefits or services because of the individual's athletics reputation or skill or pay-back potential as a professional athlete, unless such treatment, benefits or services are specifically permitted under NCAA legislation."

Amy Herman, UNC's assistant athletic director for compliance, declined to comment on Thomas' statement but answered a general question about a former player providing travel expenses for current player(s).

Herman said there are no set NCAA punishments for violating the preferential treatment bylaw.

"[The punishment] would be interpretative," Herman said, "based on the facts of the specific case."

Potential punishments include vacating the games Austin and Thomas participated in 2009, which would be the entire season. UNC went 8-5 last year.

Read more: http://blogs.newsobserver.com/accnow/balmer-paid-for-trip-to-california-for-uncs-austin-thomas#ixzz0wGRTA3lW

I like this comment on the article from a reader:

Much ado about nothing...

Tue, 08/10/2010 - 18:04 — wmcclt01

I cannot wait til all of this is over and the Tarheels get off Scot free for all of this nonsense. All the woofies salivating for something bad to happen are gonna go ape-crap bonkers when nothing comes of this. As one of the only Tarheel fans you'll ever meet who is a bigger football fan than basketball fan, I didn't even really know much more about John Blake than he is a coach til one day a state fan at work here in Charlotte came to me and said 'Oh yeah we call John Blake 'Black Santa'...blah blah de blah de blah de blah' Ridiculous hoping for failure of a 'rival' that has dominated the 'rivalry' is all this amounts to...nothing more than petty and immature, malevolent, whining jealousy.

Talk about burying your head in the sand.

Good comedy

82. Ohio State coach Jim Tressel says you may see Ohio State throw the ball more this season.

81. Ohio State threw the ball 13 times in a single game twice last year.

13. Congratulations, Washington QB Jake Locker! You're 2010's "West Coast player named by an East Coast guy in a sports argument to show he's not totally ignorant of West Coast football." They won't see a single game you play in, but they will know your name and won't hesitate to drop it in conversation.

ROFL.

*twitch*

I'd managed to go a few fantastic months without hearing that name. Thank God O'Brien and his loyal sidekick Deep Sea Dana aren't around to run the prevent offense at BC anymore.

What about Jagodzinski

A successful BC coach being fired because he interviewed with the Jets

Good job, boss

Well he is at NCSU :ols:

However, TOB's teams were always tough, solid, fundamental, blah blah. No flash, but we did have some trouble with BC in 2003 and 2006

Of course we did, and that was always frustrating but I'll take two ACC blowout wins over regular season wins (even though the '06 game was essentially the worst night ever).

As for NC State...I just don't care. Red headed step child of the ACC :ols:

Archived