Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Video: 300 yard shuttle, 25 yard increments

instinct21

OK, I have been silent so far but I will finally post my thoughts on this subject.

1. If you are being paid top dollar you are expected to perform top dollar. End of story.

2. Fat Albert was trying to do things his way by taking 10 minutes when he was allotted 3:30 in between. Because he did not want to adhere to the rules he was forced to start over and run another round of 300 yd. shuttles. HIS fault not Shanahan's. If he had stayed within the parameters of the test he would have been done with this. Instead he was trying to show Shanahan that he was running the show and it didnt work. I personaly like the approach of the coach to make him run it til he passes it. A player SHOULD NOT dictate to the coaching staff what to do. This is not Zorn who wanted to befriend every player. Sometimes it takes a good swift kick in the A** to make players understand this.:nutkick:

3. To everyone on here saying they could run it, I'm not saying you can or cant. The real issue here is that this man is paid to do one thing.... PLAY FOOTBALL. He is not like us average Joes that have a nine to five job. During the offseason he gets paid to keep himself in top physical condition. Now I understand he lost weight, good for him, but if you cant maintain at a high level throughout the game then you are wasting everyones time. If my job was to work out everyday to stay in shape and make a tenth of the kind of money this guy is making then by GOD I would be known as a "Workout Warrior".

4. I am tired of the Bleeding Hearts on here saying "stop being so mean to Albert". Well, if he had shown up during the offseason, this would all be a moot point. Again, Albert brought this upon himself when he decided to try to tell the coaching staff how things were gonna go. He is a player. He gets paid to play. Nothing more, nothing less. It is not up to him when OTAs and other structured activities are coordinated. He accepted the check for $21 million in March and said he was going to be at every function. As we all know he did not live up to that end of the bargain. So again he gets what he gets. PERIOD. Stop sticking up for him. If anyone of us (who are not self employed or in the Military) was to say to our boss that we would be at work tommorow and did not show up, we would be fired. If we were to have been paid in advance, we would have been sued. :beatdeadhorse:

As a sidebar, the gentleman who went through Army Basic, when did you go through Basic because it was not the same Basic I went through for either branch (Army or Navy). Both branches we were "Smoked" and that included up downs, leg lifts, and here's the real shocker ... SHUTTLES. So either you went through the kinder gentler Army or you went through OCS. :rant:

:beavisnbutthead:

wow...haynesworth is a *****...I had to do this in practice every day for basketball....full court, up and back.

I had to run suicides for basketball too. I was a fairly fit, 140 pound teenager and they about killed me every time. Everyone hated them, even the fast kids who ran track.

Also, running full court and back is easier than running a much shorter, 25 yard distance and changing direction more often. That's the part that requires the hellacious effort. I harbor no delusions that I could run this test 2 or 3 times in a day and pass each time and I'm around half Albert's size.

Still it can't hurt to make Albert take this test until he passes it and force him to improve his cardio with a trainer. The worst that can happen is that he cuts a little more weight and finds he's able to play an even greater number of snaps than he's used to. He's already so good that he can afford to miss practice time to improve his conditioning. He's no more likely to get hurt training for this than he would actually playing football, and it's not as if he's going to lose his strength playing at 320 instead of 330.

Here's a couple more posted on Bubba's Breaking News.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2010/07/reports_attempt_haynesworths_c.html#more

Think I would rather watch Lindsay run it than Al. :)

Agreed.

What did Ivan Carter say receivers have to run it in? 54 and 57? There is no way in hell I could pass those times. Probably not even if I trained for a while to do it. The average NFL receiver is also like 200 pounds. If you scaled that down even more for lighter athletes, that's a really tough test no matter who you are.

Who here is 320 pounds and can do this easily?

thank you.

seems so many have lost perspective on this. basketball players and cross country players have no problems with this, but can't understand why a man 3X their size may struggle.

Casey Hampton, Pat Williams, Shaun Rogers, just to name a few that I can't see passing that test easily.

Btw, the guy in the vid is like half the size of Haynesworth.

also, Shanny has had medical staff looking at Al and given Shanny's hard-nose stance on this, I highly doubt Al would get away with faking an injury, especially a swollen knee, as some have asserted.

I'll try to post a video of me smoking a cig and running the 300 yard shuttle x2. I'll even take a bathroom break and eat a cheese burger in my 3:30 break.

Setting up someone to hold the camera for me now...

:ols::ols::ols: Fanastic... looking forward to this.

Have a beer during the break as well.

I've seen it repeated a lot around the forums, and in this thread particularly, that Haynesworth was horribly out of shape last year and had to sit out as many snaps as he took because of fake injuries and being winded.

Wouldn't it be so much easier for all of Albert's critics if the fallacy that he played poorly, or took too few snaps because of poor conditioning was actually true?

He actually had a brilliant, pro-bowl caliber individual season and took a significantly higher percentage of snaps last year than his two All-Pro seasons in Tennessee. He also took the second most snaps of any defensive lineman on our team despite missing four games, and he was a two gapping tackle. In the games he played, he was in for 70% of our snaps. That's a significantly higher number of snaps then nearly all the other top DTs/NTs such as Vince Wilfork, Jay Ratliff, Kelly Gregg, Haloti Ngata, and Pat Williams. The only top tackles who took a much larger percentage of their snaps than him were Jonathan Babineaux and Kevin Williams and they are different kinds of players than Haynesworth with very different roles in their defense. KC Joyner wrote an article discussing how Haynesworth was better at the PoA against the run last year than his final two years at Tennessee. Plus, our defense averaged something like 2.7 yards per carry against the run while Albert was on the field, as opposed to over 4 yards per carry when he wasn't. Not only that, it's no coincidence we basically doubled our number of sacks from 2008 to 2009 and Brian Orakpo at SAM isn't the only reason for that jump in production.

EDIT: I found the article where I read those numbers. It was actually 2.9 yards per carry while he was on the field and 4.0 yards per carry when Albert went off, still a very impressive difference: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp10/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=5423318

Here is K.C. Joyner's article on Haynesworth's performance last year, you have to have ESPN Insider to read it: http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insider/columns/story?columnist=joyner_kc&id=5223108&action=login&appRedirect=http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insider/columns/story%3fcolumnist%3djoyner_kc%26id%3d5223108

I definitely think agree that a professional athlete making that kind of money should be able to do this, but I really think it's not as easy as it looks. I (as most of us probably) was in the best shape of my life in hs, 3 sport letterman, and those things kicked my ass. We would whisper back and forth on Monday film session day, speculating if we were gonna have to do them. No one dared say the word "gasser" in fear the coaches would remember and then say those three hated words- line 'em up

Are you kidding? we did this in 5th and 6th grade football practice and the end of EVERY practice! full pads, not that hard.

I've had my high school guys, a couple which are over 300 pounds run three of them in one day as conditioning. 3 minute breaks between.

They had 60 seconds to do it. Every time. Skill guys had about 50. Not one person failed for the first two. The last one only one guy failed and he failed by about 2-3 seconds.

Either I'm the best S&C coach in the world (I'm not) or something is wrong here. Although, upon reflection... I gave the linemen 65 seconds, not 60. By reflection I mean I found the workout log :ols:

I definitely think agree that a professional athlete making that kind of money should be able to do this, but I really think it's not as easy as it looks. I (as most of us probably) was in the best shape of my life in hs, 3 sport letterman, and those things kicked my ass. We would whisper back and forth on Monday film session day, speculating if we were gonna have to do them. No one dared say the word "gasser" in fear the coaches would remember and then say those three hated words- line 'em up

Three hated words for me were "Toe the line". Ugh.

on NFL live, mike golic is doing the exact drill that AH did... he's 47 years old, 16 years removed from the league, and he missed it by a couple of seconds...

yeah i saw that, i don't know how anyone can say that shannahan should give up.

it's not that hard and it's used around the nfl and even down to high school. zorn had the same conditioning test while he was here.

also, mount cody passed it in baltimore and if that guy can pass it then anyone can.

total agree, guy weight 230 maybe less and did it in 63 sec, you redskins i cannot see no over 300lbs man doing this not once but two time with only 3m and 30 sec rest

Darnell Dockett: Our test was 3x 300yds, I ran them in 57secs w/ 2min break between each one,!! I could have eating popcorn while running them!! #INSHAPE

twitter.com/ddockett

Darnell Dockett: Our test was 3x 300yds, I ran them in 57secs w/ 2min break between each one,!! I could have eating popcorn while running them!! #INSHAPE

twitter.com/ddockett

I am not saying all d lineman will false but how many d lineman on the redskins do you think will pass this test not include orakpo and carter. over 300lbs lineman

I am not saying all d lineman will false but how many d lineman on the redskins do you think will pass this test not include orakpo and carter. over 300lbs lineman

I don't care how many DL over 300 lbs can do it. There's no way of knowing it until they actually perform the test. Those players got the memo and realized they needed to be at the offseason training at least 50% in order to avoid the test. Every Skins player meet those requirements and therefore don't have to take it.

I'm sure Fatty also received the same memo and what was expected, considering Fischer is Tenn also did the same tests. It just shows that Fatty didn't really condition himself like he said he would.

BTW, apparently Mike Golic, 47 years old and 16 years removed from NFL, passed the same test today.

Archived