Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Video: 300 yard shuttle, 25 yard increments

instinct21

That exercise isn't exactly the type of workout a 320 lineman should find easy. I agree, with everyone that he should be able to do it, but to say he's not in shape because he can't do it isn't necessarily true.

btw, is adding 20 pounds going to make you 320 pounds?

No, but the point is it's not something I'm conditioned for. He's played and worked out for years at a heavy weight, it's what his body is used to.

If I put on enough weights to make myself 320 lbs. it'll be an absolute shock to my system. That's not the case for him.

That's the point. He needs to lose more weight.

Who here makes 100 million dollars?

Who here would if they were making 100 million dollars?

Yeah, he needs to lose more weight, because his heaviness has really prevented him from being any good.

If I put on enough weights to make myself 320 lbs. it'll be an absolute shock to my system. That's not the case for him.

What I'm trying to say is that just because he's not conditioned to do this drill doesn't mean he isn't in great shape. He obviously hasn't been doing 300 yard shuttles all through the summer, or else he would have passed already. Doesn't mean he isn't ready to go (ugh...reminds me of when he said that in his first presser. what a liar).

The dude is like 320 or 330 lbs or something.

You try running with that much weight and see how hard it is.

Granted, he is a professional athlete so he SHOULD have his conditioning up to a good level though... but to say it's easy based on a video when he's likely at least 75+ lbs heavier than that dude in the video? Hah.

What everyone else seems to be forgetting is that Albert's training does not include running for distances. If your work-out emphasizes strength and power lifting and not much, if any, cardiovascular exercising you will fail this type of test.

What everyone else seems to be forgetting is that Albert's training does not include running for distances. If your work-out emphasizes strength and power lifting and not much, if any, cardiovascular exercising you will fail this type of test.

Were you training with him this off-season? How do you know what his training was?

when does a pro athlete who trains in strength, BURSTS and short distances have to EVER run 25yds 6 times for 70 seconds straight...EVER?

add on the fact that he is OVER 300 pounds. you people think its so easy, but dont forget do it 3 times with someone who has decided not to pass you even before you take the test and will nitpick everything that you do wrong.

not to defend haynseworth, but some of you need to get off your high horse and put things into perspective. he DID pass easily, but i am glad he failed it multiple times so he can be taught a lesson and be put in his place.

take my word, he passes it the third time

^^^agree

Has anyone here posting witnessed him run it? Has his recorded times been released? Or do we just know he failed and the rest is pure speculation??

What I'm trying to say is that just because he's not conditioned to do this drill doesn't mean he isn't in great shape. He obviously hasn't been doing 300 yard shuttles all through the summer, or else he would have passed already. Doesn't mean he isn't ready to go (ugh...reminds me of when he said that in his first presser. what a liar).

In my opinion, the average Joe can go run this without a problem. Yes, he weighs more than the average Joe, but he's also in better shape. I just don't see this as a drill that needs training in order to complete. I could be completely wrong though :whoknows:

Were you training with him this off-season? How do you know what his training was?

The place where he trains promotes how they train the athletes with exercises specified for their needs. There was also a video of Albert talking about the exercises, that match up with what the poster is saying.

Never realized how many high level athletes we have on this board.

As someone who went through Army Basic Training and also played Collegiate football at a fairly high level, I can say these are one of the hardest conditioning tests I have ever gone through.

First you have to think of how football players train. The average play takes a little over 4 seconds from start to finish. So guess how teams train their players? To give it their all for 4-5 seconds.

Well, now you go out and ask someone (especially a DL who rarely runs more than 5-10 years) who has trained for 4-5 second bursts to go after it it for 70 seconds. One can be in great football shape but not be able to to perform this drill.

For those that played multiple sports in high school. Remember when football season got done and you went to play basketball? Remember how out of breath you got? It wasn't because you were out of shape, it was because you were in a shape different than what is required for basketball.

The shuttle test comes down to the same principle. On his first try, Haynesworth easily passed the first run. Almost anyone who tries this out will (including the guy in the video who did only one). The hard part is lining back up and doing it again. Sounds like this morning AH tried to pace himself on the first so he had more for the second.

when does a pro athlete who trains in strength, BURSTS and short distances have to EVER run 25yds 6 times for 70 seconds straight...EVER?

add on the fact that he is OVER 300 pounds. you people think its so easy, but dont forget do it 3 times with someone who has decided not to pass you even before you take the test and will nitpick everything that you do wrong.

not to defend haynseworth, but some of you need to get off your high horse and put things into perspective. he DID pass easily, but i am glad he failed it multiple times so he can be taught a lesson and be put in his place.

No kind of conditioning test can be applied to a real situation. I really don't get this logic at all and it gets thrown around a lot. This is a measure of conditioning. If you've ever played football you know it's a game played of burst of energy, your muscles will start burning with lactic acid after 5 or 6 plays of a drive if you're in on every play. Haynescrap proved this much last year walking off the field on any drive more than 3 freakin' plays. There is nothing wrong with this test.

^^^agree

Has anyone here posting witnessed him run it? Has his recorded times been released? Or do we just know he failed and the rest is pure speculation??

Looks like both of you missed this.

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?t=327717

The strength and conditioning coach explains everything in detail. He's the one giving the test, and he explains why he failed.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/albert-haynesworth/more-on-albert-haynesworths-fa.html#more

It's not a conspiracy to **** with AH.

Fat Boy has to last the whole game, right? There's where conditioning comes in. And this is a common test for linemen. If Fat Boy's trainer didn't prepare him, he should be fired.

When did Fat Boy "pass easily"? On the first test: He's supposed to have done well the first run, and the second, but took too long a break in between, and walked the make-up run. On the second test, he just missed it. If he really got into good shape with his personal trainer, he shouldn't have needed a second or two to pass.

So what test has Fat Boy "passed easily"?

Never realized how many high level athletes we have on this board.

As someone who went through Army Basic Training and also played Collegiate football at a fairly high level, I can say these are one of the hardest conditioning tests I have ever gone through..

^^^ this. I think all y'all who thinks this is so easy are extremely delusional about the shape you're in. Or like I said before, you're all Olympians.

If AH had participated in some of the OTA's then this is not required of him.

It is what it is. He's the highest paid player and he decided to boycott working with the new regime in the off season. What an idiot and non Redskin.

Run his ass until he says uncle and realizes he's not in charge.

First you have to think of how football players train. The average play takes a little over 4 seconds from start to finish. So guess how teams train their players? To give it their all for 4-5 seconds.

Well, now you go out and ask someone (especially a DL who rarely runs more than 5-10 years) who has trained for 4-5 second bursts to go after it it for 70 seconds. One can be in great football shape but not be able to to perform this drill.

That would hold weight. EXCEPT the fact that many teams administer this same drill, and even Zorn did this last year with everybody. Seriously, are you people not reading any threads? The info is out there.

This was already posted.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/ross_tucker/07/30/haynesworth.conditioning/index.html#ixzz0vBzspebE

The test he's being administered is standard (even for big OL/DL).

It's obvious to me that he didn't. And, no I did not work out with him.

If he had included cardiovascular exercising by jogging or even walking at a brisk pace, he would have pass it. But I do believe he should benefit from running on the tread mill.

^^^ this. I think all y'all who thinks this is so easy are extremely delusional about the shape you're in. Or like I said before, you're all Olympians.

The real question is, what shape should Fat Boy be in? Especially after saying he skipped OTAs to train individually?

I just had a semi-reunion with a bunch of guys from my high school football team, and a bunch of us were talking about the "one practice" during our preseason where we ran the same drill, except it was 50 yard bursts 6 times. In similar kind of weather. Just about everyone on the team (and we had an extremely athletic team that year) threw up multiple times. It was awful. Each time a member of your group (lineman/skill position) didn't finish in the allotted time, that one didn't count. We called them "gassers". Easily one of the worst athletic moments of my life. I was contemplating quitting the team on the spot. Point is, it's a hell of a lot harder than it looks.

Don't tell that to all of these slobs on here pontificating how "If I were on the team I would easily be able to do that!" as they shove another bite of their double down into their fat mouths, and chug some more of their big gulp....

Ps For everyone who has lost all perspective based on their intense jealousy/ resentment/ dislike of AH, DT's are not supposed to be lean cardio freaks.... and Dave butz would have never been able to complete this drill.

That's the point. He needs to lose more weight.

Who here makes 100 million dollars?

Who here would if they were making 100 million dollars?

They want him to play DE/NT in a 3-4. He probably can't afford to drop even more weight or he'll get pushed around by O-linemen and we won't get pressure to the QB.

Then y'all will be ****ing about how he needs a steak IV to bulk up. Jesus.

Don't tell that to all of these slobs on here pontificating how "If I were on the team I would easily be able to do that!" as they shove another bite of their double down into their fat mouths, and chug some more of their big gulp....

Ps For everyone who has lost all perspective based on their intense jealousy/ resentment/ dislike of AH, DT's are not supposed to be lean cardio freaks.... and Dave butz would have never been able to complete this drill.

Dave Butz would of been with the team and therefore wouldn't need to.

It's no Olympic feat to run continuously for 1/6th of a mile....

Get up to 320 to play DT then show us how its done champ..... and it is not running continuously, or else they could just do it on the track. It is a lot of stopping, changing directions and starting again (which takes a lot more energy to get back up to speed, especially the more you weigh (It's call physics, son) and then as soon as you are back up to speed you stop and turn around again.)

Get up to 320 to play DT then show us how its done champ..... and it is not running continuously, or else they could just do it on the track. It is a lot of stopping, changing directions and starting again (which takes a lot more energy to get back up to speed, especially the more you weigh (It's call physics, son) and then as soon as you are back up to speed you stop and turn around again.)

Some of you guys are overcomplicating the hell out of this :doh:

The dude is like 320 or 330 lbs or something.

You try running with that much weight and see how hard it is.

Granted, he is a professional athlete so he SHOULD have his conditioning up to a good level though... but to say it's easy based on a video when he's likely at least 75+ lbs heavier than that dude in the video? Hah.

Not to mention the guy in the vid was doing it wrong. You are supposed to bend down and touch the line. Not bending down to touch the line would save anyone time. Now imagine you are 6"5' 300 plus having to do what that midget was doing but you have to stop 300 lb on a dime bend over and touch the ground and then get all that weight moving at full speed again. That is like the guy on the vid is a sports car and Big Al is a dump truck. This is not easy for someone his size to do.

Im sorry but just bc the test is standard does not mean it is perceived the same way by each team and for each position...if you think shaun rogers, jamal williams, pat willaims, vince wilfork are being trained to pass shuttle tests and will be restricted from training camp if they fail...your kidding yourself

Now, Haynesworth did not attend 50% of the workouts so he is subject to whatever the coach deems necessary. However, when its 3 and 1 his ability to pass a shuttle test wont matter much.

Archived