Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Video: 300 yard shuttle, 25 yard increments

instinct21

Looks like both of you missed this.

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?t=327717

The strength and conditioning coach explains everything in detail. He's the one giving the test, and he explains why he failed.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/albert-haynesworth/more-on-albert-haynesworths-fa.html#more

It's not a conspiracy to **** with AH.

oops, helps to read the entire article. It is still not as big an issue as everyone is making it.

At a tailgate lets set this up and time ppl, could be fun!!

But, maybe they were 'slow' with the watch! :whoknows: :evilg:

Never realized how many high level athletes we have on this board.

As someone who went through Army Basic Training and also played Collegiate football at a fairly high level, I can say these are one of the hardest conditioning tests I have ever gone through.

First you have to think of how football players train. The average play takes a little over 4 seconds from start to finish. So guess how teams train their players? To give it their all for 4-5 seconds.

Well, now you go out and ask someone (especially a DL who rarely runs more than 5-10 years) who has trained for 4-5 second bursts to go after it it for 70 seconds. One can be in great football shape but not be able to to perform this drill.

For those that played multiple sports in high school. Remember when football season got done and you went to play basketball? Remember how out of breath you got? It wasn't because you were out of shape, it was because you were in a shape different than what is required for basketball.

The shuttle test comes down to the same principle. On his first try, Haynesworth easily passed the first run. Almost anyone who tries this out will (including the guy in the video who did only one). The hard part is lining back up and doing it again. Sounds like this morning AH tried to pace himself on the first so he had more for the second.

Come on! Albert, any football player, would work on gassers/suicides whatever you call them, to condition. And guess what? We did 'em at the END of practice. Hot, sweaty, thirsty as hell, beat up, sore, and now you finish practice and get totally gassed. That is where getting in shape came from, pushing until you were spent. The coaches were not looking at a time. They were looking to see if we were blown or not. If we dogged it, we did more. The whole point was to push it.

Albert shows up just to do the drill. That's it. Having been working out on his own and he wasn't ready. End of story. He does a set and has to go potty? :lol: He wasn't ready. Shanahan wanted to see him put out the effort, not quit. I can't even begin to imagine how livid he, coach, was when Albert says "I gotta go potty..." :ols:

Albert wasn't ready. That's on him and only him.

End of story.

That would hold weight. EXCEPT the fact that many teams administer this same drill, and even Zorn did this last year with everybody. Seriously, are you people not reading any threads? The info is out there.

This was already posted.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/ross_tucker/07/30/haynesworth.conditioning/index.html#ixzz0vBzspebE

The test he's being administered is standard (even for big OL/DL).

What does this have to do with the person you quoted? He's trying to say that the test is probably harder for bigger people, and then the article you post says how the writer found the shuttle run drill the hardest to do. Can Albert still be in shape without needing to run 300 yards? Of course.

Even if he passes the test, to assume that the test is the sole indicator of him being in shape or out of shape is pointless....Anybody can train for a shuttle run test and master it but that doesn't mean your necessarily in great shape...it just means you can pass a shuttle test....there is more to the game then 25yd intervals over an extended time period

Even if he passes the test, to assume that the test is the sole indicator of him being in shape or out of shape is pointless....Anybody can train for a shuttle run test and master it but that doesnt mean your necessarily in great shape...it just means you can pass a shuttle test....

Exactly.

I weigh 250 pounds and am 40 years old I run 3 miles 3 times a week and I went out to the football field and tried the test today..folks PIECE OF CAKE. I didnt even come close to failing by Shanny's standards. I was telling the guy timing it I was ready to go before the 3.5 minutes in between runs. For a professional football player that cant do this they have not been running or training. I dont think it is to much to ask a pro football player making 100 mil to run 12 miles a week.

I weigh 250 pounds and am 40 years old I run 3 miles 3 times a week and I went out to the football field and tried the test today..folks PIECE OF CAKE. I didnt even come close to failing by Shanny's standards. I was telling the guy timing it I was ready to go before the 3.5 minutes in between runs. For a professional football player that cant do this they have not been running or training. I dont think it is to much to ask a pro football player making 100 mil to run 12 miles a week.

According to the only folks that post here that have a shred of knowledge, you are an Olympian.

Go look in the mirror and admire yourself :pfft:

Anyone that runs distance will not have any issue with this drill. Football players do not run distance. Especially not OL/DL. A DT in a 4-3 or DE in a 3-4 is never gonna be required to run these distances in a game. 10 yds normally, 20 yds max. And it is not running 1/6 of a mile. It is starting and stopping 12 times that kills the lower body.

PD, Dockery, and other lineman have stated publicly that they doubted they could pass this test right now.

According to the only folks that post here that have a shred of knowledge, you are an Olympian.

Thats the sad part 9-12 miles a week and you pass this no problem...3 miles on the treadmill is 30 minutes at a very average pace. I really couldnt believe how easy this was, Shanny isnt asking much.

Anyone that runs distance will not have any issue with this drill. Football players do not run distance. Especially not OL/DL. A DT in a 4-3 or DE in a 3-4 is never gonna be required to run these distances in a game. 10 yds normally, 20 yds max. And it is not running 1/6 of a mile. It is starting and stopping 12 times that kills the lower body.

PD, Dockery, and other lineman have stated publicly that they doubted they could pass this test right now.

Gimme a break I am not buying the starting and stopping BS, he doesnt even have to touch the line with his hand!

Gimme a break I am not buying the starting and stopping BS, he doesnt even have to touch the line with his hand!

So, you know more than fellow professional players? There are multiple players that have come out and said they couldn't pass it, including starters. You think Ma'ake Kemoeatu could pass this test?

I was wondering the same thing. When we ran these in highschool. we had to touch the line. And yes the bending and starting and stopping are a PIA. But after a month of 2 a days this "test" is a breeze. Just because someone loses weight does not mean he is in shape. My problem is that Shanahan is making it very public to embarass the fat man.

Obviously :rolleyes:

You sprint 25 yards, touch the line, and sprint back, touching the line again. Repeat 6 times.

What am I missing?

What do you find "continuous" about that?

Fwiw, they're Redskins players who've said that they probably couldn't complete this test either.

So Al might not be the only one out of shape. :2cents:

Heard DeAngelo Hall say this.

DeAngelo is obviously in horrible shape.

What does this have to do with the person you quoted? He's trying to say that the test is probably harder for bigger people, and then the article you post says how the writer found the shuttle run drill the hardest to do. Can Albert still be in shape without needing to run 300 yards? Of course.

It had nothing to do with my post.

He just wanted to get talking points out.

Even if he passes the test, to assume that the test is the sole indicator of him being in shape or out of shape is pointless....Anybody can train for a shuttle run test and master it but that doesn't mean your necessarily in great shape...it just means you can pass a shuttle test....there is more to the game then 25yd intervals over an extended time period

Couldn't have said it better.

Someone show me where in a game a player is going to run 25 yards, turn and run back 6 times.

What has been said is that no one on here realizes football players don't train for this.

Everyone thinking they could get their ass up off the couch and go do this is fooling themselves.

As I said before, I have done this test before as well as gone through Army Basic. I can at least say I have a shred of knowledge on how hard this test is.

Exactly.

As I said before, there are different types of shape.

Everyone talking about back in HS, remember when you switched sports and were completely exhausted by new workouts? That's what is going on here.

AH obviously has been working out or he wouldn't look the way he does.

Oh, and it's funny how everyone kept saying, "AH needs to be at OTA's to learn the D, be with teammates, etc..."

Now this is happening and they are not worried about him learning the D or being with teammates?

Someone show me where in a game a player is going to run 25 yards, turn and run back 6 times.

Did you not see him last year? I only remember one player on the D that fell to the ground regularly, and get carted off the field. I think we all know who that was.

Why was that? Cause his ass was out of shape.

The point of this is being able to last a game without having to pull the **** he pulled last year. If you miss a few block, you can be running down the field and running back to the huddle and lining up to do it again.

What has been said is that no one on here realizes football players don't train for this.

Everyone thinking they could get their ass up off the couch and go do this is fooling themselves.

That is bull****. I can do this any day of the week and I am not an athlete that gets paid millions. The distance and the time required to finish is not out of the question. It isn't like Shanny is asking him to run 2 miles under 12 minutes. I want to see quotes of Daniels saying he can't do this. I would place good money that he can. As could, Carter, Orakpo, Alexander... etc.

As I said before, I have done this test before as well as gone through Army Basic. I can at least say I have a shred of knowledge on how hard this test is.

If that is the hardest thing you did in basic, you got off pretty damn lucky.

The big thing is the first day he would have passed it if he didn't have to take a dump in the middle of it. That is bull****. You come out from the locker rooms ready to get it done. You don't run for one minute and then ask for a break.

Big Fat **** brought this on himself, I have no sympathy for him.

At 250 we can plug you in as a DT, I am sure.....

Get up to 320 so you can do do what AH does (you know: on the field!) and then get back to us on how easy it is.

Archived