Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP:Relationship between Haynesworth, DC Jim Haslett is key for Redskins

Chump Bailey

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/07/27/AR2010072705748.html

Relationship between Albert Haynesworth, defensive coordinator Jim Haslett is key for Redskins

By Jason Reid

Washington Post Staff Writer

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Their only meeting was a disaster. Washington Redskins defensive coordinator Jim Haslett acknowledges he did not enjoy speaking with defensive lineman Albert Haynesworth in January and people close to the Pro Bowler say he felt similarly about Haslett.

Although that's not the best foundation for an effective professional relationship, Haslett and Haynesworth could quickly become allies when training camp begins Thursday. And that potential union may play a big role in whether Washington's new 3-4 defense succeeds this season.

Obviously, Haslett was among many at Redskins Park displeased about Haynesworth's decision to stay away from Ashburn for all but one day of Coach Mike Shanahan's first offseason program, and publicly request a trade after receiving a $21 million check from the team.

Haslett, who has complete control of the defense, was willing to accommodate Haynesworth to a certain extent, team sources said. He planned for Haynesworth to line up primarily at defensive end, on the guard's outside shoulder, the position Haynesworth has played since college.

But Shanahan, still angry over Haynesworth's defiance, often has emphasized that Haynesworth will be Washington's "starting nose tackle," a position Haynesworth is not interested in playing.

Please visit link to continue article...

I have a good feeling about Big Al this year. He's going to want to prove alot of people wrong and have a huge season. If he does want out of here, the best way would be for him to have a great season so other teams would be interested in him.

Haynesworth now accepts that the Redskins will not trade him unless they are overwhelmed with an offer. Several people who have spoken with the two-time all-pro in the past few days say he expects to be in Washington this season and would rather not be at war with the organization.

All signs point to him being here this season. This bolded quote is the best part I see about this article. Hopefully, he's ready to play and shuts his mouth through the rest of the season.

Welcome, Albert Haynesworth.

2010 Defensive Player of The Year

Really? I mean how do you see that playing out, please indulge me?

His team has been working without him thus far so it is going to take time for him just to fit back in. I hope your right for obvious reasons, but I don't see this happening.

Really? I mean how do you see that playing out, please indulge me?

His team has been working without him thus far so it is going to take time for him just to fit back in. I hope your right for obvious reasons, but I don't see this happening.

DPY might be a stretch - but its not out of the question.

If Al gets with the programme and plays with some motivation - even if that motivation is to show other teams they should trade for him for next year - he is one of the top 5 defensive lineman in the NFL.

We would be crazy not use him in a way that maximises his impact - and that does not stack up with lining him at nose every down. I expect to see him oved around, play mainly end on base downs and only play at nose in spot duty and on some passing downs.

The 3-4 and the fact that he will seeing double teams most snaps might make it tough for him to get the stats and highlight reels to make DPY but he will make us a much MUCH better defense than playing without him.

All I cna think of when I continue to see these canned AH article from the "Beat writers" is: How foolish these reporters are going to look if they have nothing else negative to say once Albert shows up. I think there's no story left here. albert will show up, talkt to Coach Shanahan, Get his playbook and go to work. Shanahan will have a press conference where he says "I had a long discussion with Albert. He knows what we expect of him and we look forward to him making plays for the Washington Redskins."

One of these beat writers will ask what was said in in the meeting with Albert. Shanahan will respond "It was a productive conversation and I do not discuss the content of private conversations with players. He's here and working towards the common goal of the redskins, which os tor each the Superbowl."

Interesting, not sure if this was posted anywhere.

Washington Redskins DL Albert Haynesworth has returned to town and is ready to work, according to Jason Reid, of The Washington Post. Haynesworth is optimistic about the upcoming season after several good conversations with teammates.

Sounds like they are playing a little bit of good-cop (JH), bad-cop (MS) on Fat Al. Could work if it earns JH Al's loyalty and he does what ever the d-coordinator asks. I doubt MS gives 2 ****s what Al thinks of him as long as he respects him and plays hard on Sundays.

Its an obvious win-win situation. He wants to play hard to be able to generate a lot of trade interest, which will help our defense this season. That will also allow us to get draft options or players back from trading him.

If he plays like ****, there will be no market for him out there, other than some bottom feeding teams. Can't wait for camp tomorrow :D

Archived