Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Add OL to WR for Redskins Summer Checklist

bulldog

With the injury to Mike Williams there is no one with any significant NFL experience backing up Dockery and Hicks at OG. While Capers or Cook may be developmental projects, I don't see Shanahan counting on either of them or on Chad Rinehart/Edwin Williams to be the answer to potential injuries.

Look for the Redskins to add a veteran OL over the summer. Even though WR may be another glaring need area, I see OG being a position where the team will be able to get something done with a fairly high degree of confidence.

As usual Allen will keep the deal short and given for base and incentives based on downs played.

Errr....Rhino and Lich are both potentially solid depth, even starters down the line, if need be. Lich, according to Denver fans, was set to start before Shanny got the boot and Rhino had started lookin' solid up until he got hurt.

Our interior depth is not bad in the least bit, even without Big Mike.

Errr....Rhino and Lich are both potentially solid depth, even starters down the line, if need be. Lich, according to Denver fans, was set to start before Shanny got the boot and Rhino had started lookin' solid up until he got hurt.

Our interior depth is not bad in the least bit, even without Big Mike.

i agree. I dont even think Big Mike was 100% going to make the team if he was healthy anyway... Mostly with Hicks sliding over...

i agree with OP, as i explained on my blog here. i think our depth at guard is unacceptable. even if lichtensteiger is competent, he's more of a center. rinehart might continue to develop but has been anything but consistent. edwin williams is sorely unproven and will montgomery pretty much sucks. cook would be a longshot to contribute meaningfully even in a best-case scenario for such a late-round pick.

for what they've invested in the o-line this year, it would be downright irresponsible NOT to upgrade at guard right now. i think shanny and allen realize this problem, and that's it's very likely they will add one, probably after some veteran gets cut in training camp.

I have liked Chad ever since we drafted him and always thought he could be a solid starter.

And apparently Lich was 1st on the depth chart before in Denver...and Edwin Williams has potential.

I think depth is more of a problem then starting right guard. What if one of our tackles goes down?

The only way for young guys to become proven is to let them play. Ask Dennis Dixon. How many success stories in the NFL are waiting to be discovered. Game experience may be the only thing that will push Rihno and others to the next level.

The only way for young guys to become proven is to let them play. Ask Dennis Dixon. How many success stories in the NFL are waiting to be discovered. Game experience may be the only thing that will push Rihno and others to the next level.

I agree with this. It's often frustrating to hear fans say "Why can't we get young, quality backups to groom as heirs" followed almost immediately by "but these young guys have no experience, so we need older guys ahead of them on the depth chart so we don't have to risk them getting any NFL experience."

Sure, you can take a low-level project like Cook or Capers and give them a year on the PS, a year on the bubble, and push them little by little each year, only to reach the end of their contract and not have a clue what they can really offer. Or you can do the trial-by-fire approach, and if there's an injury you give these guys a few games to prove what they've got. The problem with getting experienced guys like Kendell is, 2-3 years later he's gone and the guy you drafted to replace him (Rinehart) has had little if any chance to prove himself in real game scenarios.

The other problem this team faces is that this is Shanny's first year here....and most of these backup lineman were brought in by other regimes so they may or may not do well in the new scheme....but you certainly can't figure that out by making them 3rd string so you can bring in a journeyman, who might do nothing more than steal snaps from the young guys in practice, as a backup "just in case."

I have liked Chad ever since we drafted him and always thought he could be a solid starter.

And apparently Lich was 1st on the depth chart before in Denver...and Edwin Williams has potential.

I think depth is more of a problem then starting right guard. What if one of our tackles goes down?

Chad was playing well before his injury last season, I was upset to see him leave for the year. It was one of those small things you pay attention to and cheer for when your team is playing like **** lol.

It might be just me but every time I saw Edwin Williams in the game he was handling his man. I'm more than confident he will make a great backup and potential starter in the future if he's actually given a chance. He seems like he is pretty athletic too and will prove to be a huge asset if hes given a chance.

Personally, I thought we had pretty good depth at G going into the offseason. The main problem there last year wasn't talent, but injuries.

So far, we have had a net gain at the at position. Sure, we lost BMW, who is a big loss. But we have also gained Hicks, Lichtensteiger, and Cook. Guard is not a position I'm worried about.

The positive thing about the injuries is that it got some experience with some of our younger players. Guys like Reinhart and Williams had to be pressed into service and got to show what they could do and what they need to work on.

I am normally positive and I do not buy into the scramble to improve the WR situation but the OL took a hit with loosing BMW .

At tackle BMW was a bust but at guard he was just devouring people . (not a dig at his weight issues) . He was just on another level compared to anyone else we have at that position .

The problem comes from if no one else steps up in Camp then Hicks gets pencilled in as starter at RG . That imediatly has an impact on the depth a tackle .

If we get into a position where Brown went down then with Williams in place Hicks would simply start as the swing backup .

With no BMW then Hicks is starting at RG . With an injury to Brown then Hicks slides across and the next cab off the rank (effectively 3rd on the depth chart) at RG . With an injury to Williams then Brown shifts across to LT hicks goes to RT and player X goes into the RG spot . So one injury will have a butterfly effect, potentially, on the rest of the line .

I think if Heyer is still on the team in September it is a bad sign that there was no one else ...

The problem comes from if no one else steps up in Camp then Hicks gets pencilled in as starter at RG . That imediatly has an impact on the depth a tackle .

OT position could use another veteran body. Rinehart is capable of playing the position in a pinch IMO. He played LT last preseason. Hopefully one of the FA OT's we have will show something. Selvish Capers might be capable of something too.

Hey everybody look on the bright side....WE DO NOT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT DOUG FREE AND HOW HE HOLDS UP @ LT :) Our line is going to be ok and I would say in the end we might have the best line in the EAST. Dallas has problems at both tackles Columbo is old and slow and Free got demolished in last years playoff game vs the Vikings. Philly has problems at center and RT ...Stacey Andrews wouldn't start on most NFL rosters and the Giants O line looked very old at the end of last year...in fact they started to remind me of the Skins Oline little deapth and a lot of age but that has changed in DC. HTTR

Point / Counter Points have been laid out well here. I can see both sides of this and will default without worry to the men in charge. It really depends on what they see in camp and who steps up, or steps aside. If there is an upgrade available they will bring them in.

i agree with OP, as i explained on my blog here. i think our depth at guard is unacceptable. even if lichtensteiger is competent, he's more of a center. rinehart might continue to develop but has been anything but consistent. edwin williams is sorely unproven and will montgomery pretty much sucks. cook would be a longshot to contribute meaningfully even in a best-case scenario for such a late-round pick.

for what they've invested in the o-line this year, it would be downright irresponsible NOT to upgrade at guard right now. i think shanny and allen realize this problem, and that's it's very likely they will add one, probably after some veteran gets cut in training camp.

I liked how you snuck that blog plug in there. Touche

With the injury to Mike Williams there is no one with any significant NFL experience backing up Dockery and Hicks at OG.

As another poster stated, the injury to BMW also give us an issue at tackle.

With Hicks & BMW as the primary back-ups at OT, I think Heyer was all but expendable. At that point we had 4 OT's & maybe Capers had a shot at getting the 'last' OL roster place.

With the injury to BMW, Heyer could become the #4 OT. He can't play OG, and with Hicks being the #3 OT, the balance of players up for places does shift with BMW not being there.

It wouldn't suprise me if we looked for another OT. Without BMW, I'm not sure we can count on Heyer, Capers & the rest of the OT's we have.

Having said that, its hard to say who is impressing the coaches at the moment to gain advantage in those depth positions, so a move for a vet at either OG or OT could well be in that makings.

Archived