Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Shanahan, Haynesworth, the Redskins and Just Retribution

TSO

I know, another Haynesworth thread... just felt strongly enough about this thought that I had to put it into words and allow you guys to be the judge of it. ;)

In my humble opinion, after having reflected about what would be the best thing for the franchise and the team, Shanahan should order Albert to do everything the rest of the Dlinemen have done this entire offseason before he's allowed to start on this defense during the regular season, excluding an amount that our strength and conditioning trainers agree upon based on the shape Haynesworth comes to training camp in. So if he's in great shape, they can cut the requirement down accordingly, and if he's in anything less than that they can do so as well all the way to requiring him to fulfill the entire amount (that being the worst possible shape).

Since we're talking about a professional football franchise with a professional offseason workout regimen; they should have every single rep of every single workout, no matter it's type, accounted for and documented. So that makes this aspect of it perfectly feasible.

Shanahan should have him do this in the time it took everyone else to do it. So, for example, if the Dlinemen have worked out a total of 60 days during the offseason, for 5 hours each day, doing ten 20 yard sprints, 5 reps of at least 200 lb. Squats, etc... then that's what Haynesworth would have to do before he could see the field during the regular season. Of course, as stated above it could be less than that according to the shape he's in when he comes to TC.

In my opinion, this is simply just retribution. Furthermore, Shanahan has the ability to overrule this pure justice and relent (showing mercy) anytime he feels Haynesworth along with the team are in good standing and fully understand the situation.

This will have nothing but good consequences as a result. First and foremost, the entire team will see that they are all equals in what is expected of them and that no one no matter how much they're being paid can simply get away with separating themselves from their duty. Secondly, Haynesworth will have, at the very least, learned that there are legitimate consequences for removing himself from his duty with this team, and at the very most, he will have learned a great wisdom in life and have changed his mentality in general. Thirdly, Shanahan will have effectively cemented his legitimacy as a leader in the minds of anyone with an ounce of understanding on the team.

Now, here's where I'm a bit unsure of how feasible this all is. I don't know about the rules and regulations the NFL and the NFLPA have agreed upon when it comes to what the players can refuse and what they can't refuse to do in terms of their superiors. But if I'm right, and Shanahan can pursue this, then the worst that could possibly happen is that Haynseworth simply refuses to abide by these rules, which would place him in breach of contract and thus give the franchise the grounds to sue. Basically, he'd have to be a complete idiot to allow that to happen... but from what I've seen so far from him I wouldn't be necessarily shocked if that's the path he chose.

I think it's a win-win, and totally feasible (depending on the rights granted to the players in regards to what they can refuse to do while under contract), what do you guys think? :)

You lost me at "Haynesworth"

hahaha sad, but true.

it does seem like a good idea though. this will show haynesworth and the rest of the team that behavior like his will not be tolerated and will come with consequences. he might be $21 mil richer, but he's gonna be miserable when he shows up. i think it might make his transition to the lockeroom a little easier as well. the other players in the lockeroom won't feel as if he got off scot-free for skipping camp and they'll know that he's been through the same grind as them.

First off, Haynesworth didn't have to show up to those voluntary workouts. The only thing he did is piss off his teammates because he wasn't there building trust and teamwork. With that said, if he doesn't show up in shape then he will have to work to be a starter. I think that he needs to face his teammates and accept whatever issues they have with him. Let them deal with the issue as a team behind close doors as any good tem should.

That type of punishment is too one-sided to fly with either Haynesworth or the NFLPA, asking him to do that would just blow up in our faces and make the situation worse.

Shanahan needs to treat Haynesworth is such a way that the other players see he's not getting special treatment and is working extra hard, yet not so harsh as to make the punishment seem unfair and to force Haynesworth to completely quit on his team. I know the instinct is to make Albert suffer as much as possible, but I don't think singling him out and treating him like a child will really earn Shanahan the respect of the other professionals on the roster, something like this just seems petty.

I like the idea, but it would really just be a waste because the number one thing aquired during OTA's and training is the team mentality. If he is doing all these things by himself he is still not suffering with the team in the trenches.

I don't know if there is a perfect punishment scenario except making him sit out the rest of his contract; and even that seems kind of lame because we would be paying him to sit at home.

I think we should try to get what we can for him in a trade and just be done with the drama.

I think his whole situation was being over analyzed from the very beginning.

He stated months ago that he'd be working out on his own with a trainer, and that's nothing new because he did that while with the Titans as well.

The bottom line is that because he has such a humongous contract, there are humongous expectations of him. This negative hype is simply being created by the fans and the media because they feel that he isn't living up to their expectations of him.

Yes, we hear different stories. He's been quoted saying that he'll work with the new defense and show up to play. Then we'll hear a story that he's unhappy and wants to be traded. Many of these stories have been pure speculation from sports writers and analysts, worded so that their feelings are what they want to appear as reality.

Now think about this - With so much negative hype, who wouldn't want to leave this team? Tell me that players aren't aware of what's being said on official team message boards and I'll tell you I have beachfront property in the middle of the Mojave Desert.

Okay, so there's one of two things he'll do; show up to play like he said he would and make ES look like a bunch of idiots, or he'll leave. Only he himself knows what's really going on in his head, and through this whole debacle I've grown quite tired of reading anything about the man. Most of it is garbage, and I'm ready to move on - Looking forward to watching some preseason football as this off season has been too long.

You lost me at "Haynesworth"

I agree. I appreciate the OP's sentiment, but seriously .. this could have been rolled into any one of the myriad of gelatinous Haynesworth goo on the board already.

I agree somewhat with the points made .. but .. I just can't wait until July 29th and then the Skins/Crackgirls opener! And I hope this Haynesworthless dood is dealt with severely for putting us all through this unnecessary and embarrassing soap opera! Damn him!

Honestly I really dont care what happens in the offseason.

If Albert comes in, in shape, ready to finally work and can dominate OL's this year than I could careless what happened with him not coming to practice.

:beavisnbutthead:

I somewhat agree with that, from a fans perspective, but as far as his teammates and coaches are concerned, that's a completely different ballgame. He has a lot of fence mending to do, and that won't fix itself overnight.

With so much negative hype, who wouldn't want to leave this team?

Oh please! $41 million (or $100 million ..) buys a lot of "Poor Me" cards and tractor trailer loads of Haagen Das cartons to cry into! So 'Worthless can cry himself a river AND pay for the adjoining property too. Soon, the fans will be paying for $20 beers because of idiotic decisions like the Haynesworthless contract! AND they've got to put up with the soap opera and snickering Dallass and Philthy fans.

...If he reports to training camp in shape, and his normal angry self, let's see who calls him "selfish" to his face.

Not sure what your meaning is but if you refer to his teammates I think they would be a bit more subtle than an in-your-face confrontation.

If you're refering to comments made by Fletcher, for instance, then I don't believe that he would be "afraid" to air-it-out with AH at all.

If AH gets into a physical altercation and his conduct is considered "unbecoming"(ie. assault) then not only can the team put pressure on his career but Goodell can get involved too.

Rumor has it that Albert is fit and angry.

If he reports to training camp in shape, and his normal angry self, let's see who calls him "selfish" to his face.

How many threads are you going to say this in? You need to redefine your concept of manhood.

When Al says his foot hurts and it will be better in a week, then? You guys still don't get it. Al holds all the cards. Do you really believe that tough Mike can MAKE Al play? C'mon! Only if tough Mike apologizes to Al, in public, and promises that he will be used only as a DT in a 4-3 defense will the impasse be resolved. Tough Mike created a mess that will poison the team all season.

When Al says his foot hurts and it will be better in a week, then? You guys still don't get it. Al holds all the cards. Do you really believe that tough Mike can MAKE Al play? C'mon! Only if tough Mike apologizes to Al, in public, and promises that he will be used only as a DT in a 4-3 defense will the impasse be resolved. Tough Mike created a mess that will poison the team all season.

No, what you're suggesting would poison the team. I don't care if Haynesworth never plays. We will never bring in another high-priced free agent cancer like him and this will never happen again. If Mike goes crawling on hands and knees like you want him to, then we are back to where we've been for the last decade with inmates running the asylum.

The Skins can end Fat Boy's career. And maybe even get some or all of their money back in the process. Even if Shanahallen had to pay the remainder of Fat Boy's contract (minus any incentive bonuses of course), and didn't get opportunities to deduct from that for FB's bad behavior, Fat Boy would never see another payday like this summer ever again. Did I mention his career would be over?

As for the money he did steal from us.... plenty of people including a pregnant stripper and a bank are already lined up to take it from him.

I'd prefer the pregnant stripper and the bank having that money to either Haynesworth or Snyder.

I just read that the Packers have suspended Johnny Jolley (DE) for the first half of the season, maybe more... anyone know what kind of defense they run?

I just read that the Packers have suspended Johnny Jolley (DE) for the first half of the season, maybe more... anyone know what kind of defense they run?

Packers already have that covered - were not counting on him being around.

And as previously noted by skinny - 1 year NFL suspension

Archived