Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFHOF: Art Monk "borrowed" Jerry Rice's helmet(for 23 years) (MET)

MintHillSkinsFan

Funny story from the HOF website.

http://www.profootballhof.com/history/2010/7/12/rice-to-monk-to-rice-to-canton/

Following the annual NFL all-star game played in Hawaii on February 1, 1987, many of the NFC players were exchanging jerseys and other items in the locker room. One of the players enjoying this yearly ritual was Washington Redskins wide receiver Art Monk, although some may say that he took the custom a bit too far.

"I was collecting helmets at the time and I saw his (Rice's) helmet sitting there," recounts Monk. "I knew he was going to be the player he turned out to be and I wanted something of his for my collection."

Without any word to Rice, Monk placed the helmet in his bag and took it home. For many years to come, the Redskins Hall of Famer would tease Rice about the helmet. Monk's feelings about how he came into possession of the helmet, however, began to slowly change as the years passed.

It would have been classic if Monk had returned the helmut at the podium while Rice was being inducted.

Reading the rest of the article at the link, the truth is pretty close...at least in terms of where the helmet ended up. After Rice was inducted, Monk called Rice and told him he was sending the helmet back to him. He did, and Rice sent it on to the Hall of Fame, where it will be displayed in the "Moments, Memories & Mementos" Gallery. Cool story.

Archived