Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rotoworld: Vincent Jackson ... will remain available for trade (MET)

Mr.Skinbo

Now here's a question...Would you give up a 1st rounder to get him if you knew we were targeting a WR in the 1st round next year?

No.

Looking at the draft picks we don't have in 2011, it looks like we almost have to trade down to recoup some picks unless there is another stud at our draft position who can fill a need.

MK is physically close in every aspect, the more i think about it, the more im leaning towards sticking with what we have. Production what our young WR's

are missing, right now V-Jax is producing but it did take him a good 4 years to get to the level he is at today. Our young guys are entering year three, If we stand strong with these guys will they get better? will they finally produce as tru franchise players?

It would be nice to see something out of DT and MK this year. I think DT is very close to breaking out. Like I've said before, McNabb has done fine in the past without big name WRs. So I'm confident they will be fine for us. But if we could add VJax to the mix, that would be awesome. But it has to be for a good price.

Well Kyle had Andre Johnson in Houston, so he would surely know how to get the most out of VJax. And considering VJax is only 27, he is still young and has plenty of football left in him. Could you imagine an offense with McNabb, VJax, Moss, Cooley, Davis, CP, and LJ? That's alot of weapons for teams to have to worry about.

Could you imagine a defense with Bailey, Sanders and Green in the backfield? Green as a nickel back! Wow, that's gotta be the best set of DBs in the league!

Could you imagine a defense with Arrington, Trotter and Armstead at LB? That'll be the best LB corps in the league!

Could you imagine a WR corps with Coles and Gardner? TWO 1000 yard WRs on the same team? And I think a guy like Spurrier would know how to get the most out of a passing attack, don't you?

Could you imagine Joe Gibbs with a running back like Clinton Portis at his disposal? We're going to win 10 games this season!

Could you imagine ARE and Lloyd joining Moss at WR? We will finally have a complete WR corps to go with our great TE and pro-bowl RB.

Could you imagine what our defense will look like with Haynesworth lining up with ... oh hell. Do I need to keep going here?

Sorry. I'm getting off the carousel. I'm done with this ride.

Again I'm not saying we should trade a 1st rounder for him, but if the team believes we are close to making a run this season, a top tier WR would certainly put us close to the top.

If the team believes we are close to making a run this season, they should beat themselves over the head with a tack-hammer.

1) Future franchise QB (best use of our next years #1 in my opinion)

2) LB (if we are serious about 3-4)

3) NT

4) S

We're a couple years from needing to draft a QB in the 1st round. 3rd, sure. But anything higher than that and it's a wasted pick IMO. We're OK at LB for a year or two more, we really need a young stud RB or NT to significantly improve next year. Depending on how Moore, Doughty, and Horton do will determine if we pick a safety next year.

Could you imagine a defense with Bailey, Sanders and Green in the backfield? Green as a nickel back! Wow, that's gotta be the best set of DBs in the league!

Could you imagine a defense with Arrington, Trotter and Armstead at LB? That'll be the best LB corps in the league!

Could you imagine a WR corps with Coles and Gardner? TWO 1000 yard WRs on the same team? And I think a guy like Spurrier would know how to get the most out of a passing attack, don't you?

Could you imagine Joe Gibbs with a running back like Clinton Portis at his disposal? We're going to win 10 games this season!

Could you imagine ARE and Lloyd joining Moss at WR? We will finally have a complete WR corps to go with our great TE and pro-bowl RB.

Could you imagine what our defense will look like with Haynesworth lining up with ... oh hell. Do I need to keep going here?

If the team believes we are close to making a run this season, they should beat themselves over the head with a tack-hammer.

All great points. I'm not advocating we trade for him, but just laying out some scenarios. Like my first post said in here, I'm all for trading for him, just not sure what we would give up that would make sense for us. In the end though, I don't think we make the move unless Shanny and Allen think we're on the better end of it.

Shanahan shot down your logic with the Jamaal brown trade.

Yes, right now that looks like a good trade. If we can fleece the Chargers then let's go ahead and do it. I wouldn't start banking on exceptions to the rule though, especially considering the Chargers already turned down an offer of two 2nds from the Seahawks. It would be nice to have another player fall into our lap, but it's not going to happen this time. This time it'll hurt.

And of course, that doesn't take into account what kind of contract he's going to want once he's here ...

MK is physically close in every aspect,

Except talent level...

But I agree that I think we see what MK and DT can do with a real slinger before we start looking at our options at WR. VJax comes at too high of a price with too much attitude.

We're a couple years from needing to draft a QB in the 1st round. 3rd, sure. But anything higher than that and it's a wasted pick IMO. We're OK at LB for a year or two more, we really need a young stud RB or NT to significantly improve next year. Depending on how Moore, Doughty, and Horton do will determine if we pick a safety next year.

Wow!! When did McNabb sign his extension? I'm so happy to know that McNugget is not going to bolt to the Vikings or the Cards in 2011.

If we are a year or 2 away from needing a QB, Safety or LB wouldn't you draft those need immediately so they are coached up to be ready when that year or 2 comes around instead of scrambling to grab a rookie when a Fletcher leaves via retirement or injury, etc?

Except talent level...

But I agree that I think we see what MK and DT can do with a real slinger before we start looking at our options at WR. VJax comes at too high of a price with too much attitude.

Key word was Physically, but V-Jax only had flashes in years 1-3, now he's at his full potential, who knows if DT or MK will pan out, it hard to be patient when you want to win so bad.

If we are a year or 2 away from needing a QB, Safety or LB wouldn't you draft those need immediately so they are coached up to be ready when that year or 2 comes around instead of scrambling to grab a rookie when a Fletcher leaves via retirement or injury, etc?

ND, we have been on this board for ten years and that may be the sanest thing I've ever seen you post. :):D

:applause:

I'm pretty much categorically against drafting a RB in the first round in this day and age. No longer is a single horse needed in the backfield. Everything is RB by committee now. No sense in burning a valuable first rounder on that. 2nd/3rd rounder, perhaps.

NT is a position where we need depth and could use a bonafide stud in the 1st round.

I do think depending on what QB is available, we would be better drafting one in 2011 and giving him a couple of years to learn on the bench rather than wait until McNabb suffers a career-ending injury (God-forbid). Remember that McNabb has a tendency to get hampered by some kind of injury each season and he isn't getting any younger.

Key word was Physically, but V-Jax only had flashes in years 1-3, now he's at his full potential, who knows if DT or MK will pan out, it hard to be patient when you want to win so bad.

No, I know, man. The problem is that we've only seen flashes of anything from DT, what has MK shown us? I do remember him laying out pretty acrobatically from some badly thrown passes last season, but that's about it.

But I totally agree, it's really hard to be patient when you want to win so bad, I'm right there with you, but we've got to be patient and trust the FO. It's a new era, let's give it more than one offseason to develop.

And of course, that doesn't take into account what kind of contract he's going to want once he's here ...

Can Snyder even afford that (cap or no cap) after the $21M check he shelled out to AH?

Everyone here just assumes his pool of capital is limitless. It isn't.

I understand being skeptical about a trade for Jackson, but cynical? Not so much. Especially after reading the following. If you doubt the trade, then you're doubting that Shanahan knows who he wants and what he wants to run in an offense. I'd rather give him the benefit of my trust, thank you very much.

To wit:

Report: Shanahan "a big fan" of Vincent Jackson

Posted by Evan Silva on June 29, 2010 8:57 PM ET

Somewhat buried at the end of a Tuesday blog post by ESPN's Bill Williamson is some juicy information on Mike Shanahan's background with Vincent Jackson, for whom Shanahan's Redskins are rumored to be contemplating a trade.

According to Williamson, Shanahan has been "a big fan" of Jackson dating back to the 2005 NFL Draft, when Shanahan's Broncos reportedly considered selecting the eventual Pro Bowl receiver. Williamson was covering the Broncos for the Denver Post at the time, so he's a credible source.

Williamson says Jackson was next on Shanahan's draft board when the Broncos selected the late Darrent Williams with the 56th overall pick. Jackson, who played at Northern Colorado, was drafted 61st overall by San Diego, "and the Broncos were not happy about it."

Jackson was relatively slow to develop in San Diego, but went on to post games of 95, 73, and 77 yards against Shanahan's Denver teams during the 2007 and 2008 seasons.

Amen.

It's as if people around here have forgotten the lessons of the past decade in Redskins-land.

Unofficial word around the campfire, per Hogs Haven, is that SD would want a 1st, 3rd (which the "Skins do not have) AND Moss...for a guy that will possibly miss the first four games of the 2010 season and wants $50 mil over 4 years.

Way too much. They need their first if nothing else.

http://www.hogshaven.com/2010/6/29/1544368/what-is-wr-vincent-jackson-worth

Unofficial word around the campfire, per Hogs Heaven, is that SD would want a 1st, 3rd (which the "Skins do not have) AND Moss...for a guy that will possibly miss the first four games of the 2010 season and wants $50 mil over 4 years.

Way too much. They need their first if nothing else.

http://www.hogshaven.com/2010/6/29/1544368/what-is-wr-vincent-jackson-worth

Definitely wouldn't do that deal. We would be giving up WAY too much.

Archived