Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Best Redskins team ever: 1991?!?!? (merged)

Hitman21ST

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

I've always thought the 91 team was one of the best all time. They are certainly one of the most underrated teams. They were completely dominate that year, especially at home. And their two losses, one was essentially lost on a hail mary just before halftime. The other was the last game of the season, where Gibbs took out the starters and they blew the lead. Not to mention, the domination in the playoffs.

What is this 1983 loss to the Raiders of which a lot of you speak? I've been a Redskins fan since 1966, and I do not remember that.

Nothin even close to a game like that. It didn't happen.

Get this straight. IT. DIDN'T. HAPPEN.

:look:

I've always thought the 91 team was one of the best all time. They are certainly one of the most underrated teams. They were completely dominate that year, especially at home. And their two losses, one was essentially lost on a hail mary just before halftime. The other was the last game of the season, where Gibbs took out the starters and they blew the lead. Not to mention, the domination in the playoffs.

One of my favorite stories of hubris in sports happened during the '91 Playoffs when we played the Falcons at RFK. They were so sure they were going to win, they even brought MC Hammer to witness the "inevitable victory."

We not only beat the Falcons soundly, 24-7, but the game had one of the most memorable moments in RFK's history when fans threw seat cushions onto the field.

I think the 83 team was best, they lost theSB because they partied too much before the game. The 91 team proved you could win with a middle of the road QB.

how can 83 trump 91 when the 83 team didnt win it all. just as the pats shouldnt be getting accolades for almost going 19-0...

to the point about the 91 team -- that showed why they were great. it all worked. run/pass/kicking/d. make few mistakes, capitalize on your opponents. they turned it up a notch in the playoffs. thats elite.

One of my favorite stories of hubris in sports happened during the '91 Playoffs when we played the Falcons at RFK. They were so sure they were going to win, they even brought MC Hammer to witness the "inevitable victory."

We not only beat the Falcons soundly, 24-7, but the game had one of the most memorable moments in RFK's history when fans threw seat cushions onto the field.

atl got pooped on at rfk 56-17 wk11... hard to follow why atl was thinking it was gonna be any diff.

HA -- the week 11 game against atl was when kelly g had some of his punts blocked... now i can see why i didnt recall them at first.

Though Sclereth was like a 28th round pick and Marshall cost us a 1st rounder, or maybe more, (by league arbitration IIRC). As Mark May said, we had just won the SB and while he was good, and nice to have, not worth the cost. Now, I wasn't living in Skins territory by then, but it seems to me Schlereth coulda been Grimm's younger brother in terms of demeanor and such.

Schlereth was a 12th rounder. Marshall cost us two first round picks due to the rules of Free Agency.

Whether he was worth the cost or not is tough to say, because by that point our tops of drafts weren't as good in the early 80's. Our second round pick in 88 was a WR who wasn't interested in playing pro football

So the next question is where does the 91 team rank against the all-time great teams (70s Steelers, 80s 49ers, etc)?
I always found it hard to compare teams between decades since the game evolves and today's worst NFL team would lay waste to teams from the 60's, 70's and 80's.

The 1991 Redskins team seems to get lost in the shuffle a bit because Dallas came on and wins back to back. We went 9-7 the following year, beat the Vikings then lost to the 49ers and then of course, Joe retired. If this team had a deeper run to the Championship game, they might get more recognition. As it is, I think NFL pundits look at Rypien as a one year wonder. It was the most dominant Redskins team I ever had the pleasure of seeing.

If, and a big if, you could put dynasties from NFL history on a level playing field and compare, my rankings might look like this...

70's - Steelers

80's - 49ers

60's - Packers

00's - Patriots

90's - Cowboys

80's - Redskins

70's - Dolphins

70's - Cowboys

40's - Bears

50's - Browns

90's - Bills

I always found it hard to compare teams between decades since the game evolves and today's worst NFL team would lay waste to teams from the 60's, 70's and 80's.

The 1991 Redskins team seems to get lost in the shuffle a bit because Dallas came on and wins back to back. We went 9-7 the following year, beat the Vikings then lost to the 49ers and then of course, Joe retired. If this team had a deeper run to the Championship game, they might get more recognition. As it is, I think NFL pundits look at Rypien as a one year wonder. It was the most dominant Redskins team I ever had the pleasure of seeing.

If, and a big if, you could put dynasties from NFL history on a level playing field and compare, my rankings might look like this...

70's - Steelers

80's - 49ers

60's - Packers

00's - Patriots

90's - Cowboys

80's - Redskins

70's - Dolphins

70's - Cowboys

40's - Bears

50's - Browns

90's - Bills

That's a good list, though I'd also include the Packers of the '30s. They also won four championships in a decade.

That's a good list, though I'd also include the Packers of the '30s. They also won four championships in a decade.

Agree. I should have remembered that since my brother is a Packers fan. I was just drawing that off the top of my head. Probably a few others that can make the list. I was sort of including the 91 Redskins in the 80's Redskins.

how can 83 trump 91 when the 83 team didnt win it all. just as the pats shouldnt be getting accolades for almost going 19-0...

to the point about the 91 team -- that showed why they were great. it all worked. run/pass/kicking/d. make few mistakes, capitalize on your opponents. they turned it up a notch in the playoffs. thats elite.

Like I said, Joe Gibbs let them have too much fun the night before the game,the 83 team was pretty much the same team that won the year before. Had they not been hung over they would have beat the Raiders.

I love that quote too.

They were the best offense in the league and a top-5 defense. They had a top ST unit as well. In short, they dominated their opponent in every facet of the game.

Now, in fairness, the 1983 season is a bit hazy to me (I was only 6). I realize we were a better offense in 1983, but I recall being an iffy defense that got a lot of turnovers.

In the end, any tiebreakers would have to go to a championship team (1991).

I remember 83 very well. We had the #1 defense against the run, but we were usually playing with the lead. We had porous pass defense and we were kind of one dimensional in our running game. Teams figured out our counter try by the end of the year. 49er's could have easily beaten us, The Rams were victimized by a frozen field. We had a very good team, but 91 was a Juggernaut. We destroyed decent competition. Jerry Glandvile craped his pants. The Lions wet the bed.

I remember 83 very well. We had the #1 defense against the run, but we were usually playing with the lead. We had porous pass defense and we were kind of one dimensional in our running game. Teams figured out our counter try by the end of the year. 49er's could have easily beaten us, The Rams were victimized by a frozen field. We had a very good team, but 91 was a Juggernaut. We destroyed decent competition. Jerry Glandvile craped his pants. The Lions wet the bed.

In 83 we lost 2 games by 1 point, If Moseley didn't have a bad day the 49ers could have been routed by us.

In 83 we lost 2 games by 1 point, If Moseley didn't have a bad day the 49ers could have been routed by us.
Yep, I remember the 83 season well. We lost by 1 point to Dallas, 31-30 and Moseley had a chance to win that game, I think it was a long one. We were up 23-3 at the half. Then we lost that defensive struggle against the Packers 48-47. Moseley had a shot in that game too. I can't believe Lynn Dickey looked like a HOF'f that night. Mose missed 4 or 5 field goals against the Niners, can't remember the exact number but yeah, should not have been close.

Like I said, Joe Gibbs let them have too much fun the night before the game,the 83 team was pretty much the same team that won the year before. Had they not been hung over they would have beat the Raiders.

would have been nice if they did and the 83 team would have a lot more votes then. hard to extrapolate what didnt happen vs what did though. end result was they honked the sb.

they didnt close it out. 91 team lead the league in to diff, and closed the deal.

the 86 team doesnt honk the champ game, can we extrapolate the results against den?

There's a difference between leading the league in differential, and setting the ALL-TIME record. How many teams these days have 41 takeaways?

There's a difference between leading the league in differential, and setting the ALL-TIME record. How many teams these days have 41 takeaways?

does it matter? if you cant win no one **should** count it as much. 83 also set the scoring mark... who past them: minn (didnt win), and the pats (didnt win). the bears set def records and won, and they get tons of credit for it.

it woulda been great if the 83 team pulled it off. they would get tons more credit. they couldnt finalize for whatever reasons. what might have been can be extended to quite a few seasons as well... sb 7 for example, 86 nfc champ game, etc...

All I'm saying is if you put the two teams up against each other, the 83 team would have a good chance of winning, IMO. I take nothing away from what 91 did, in fact, they're probably my favorite team because I actually remember that SB, but the 83 team was incredible.

Archived