Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Best Redskins team ever: 1991?!?!? (merged)

Hitman21ST

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

You cannot compare NE SB loss from "the catch" to the rout that Washington received at the hands of the Raiders. The 91 Redskins were dominate in a way rarely seen in the NFL and so were the Patriots (I freaking hate the Pats BTW). There was no competition for these teams. Their only losses came on freak, one in a million plays and not by being totally dominated like the 83 team. I watched the 92 SB yesterday and it seemed like a team of men playing boys. It seemed like Gibbs and Pettibon felt sorry for the way they dismantled that Buffalo team.

point is still when you dont win, folks arent gonna put you on any pedestal. team records are nice, however, lose impact if the overall season plays out with an L.

if you check through this, i have always said 91 was a much better team than 83...

Schlereth was a 12th rounder. Marshall cost us two first round picks due to the rules of Free Agency.

Whether he was worth the cost or not is tough to say, because by that point our tops of drafts weren't as good in the early 80's. Our second round pick in 88 was a WR who wasn't interested in playing pro football

Dude, "28th rounder" was sarcasm. And yes, I was referring to free agency, not what they have today. And IIRC, the league ruled that we owed 2 - 1sts -- I forget how it went down. However, referring to the other genius thread (no sarc) - Orakpo & Williams for Ochosinko, do not trade multiple 1st rounders.

You cannot compare NE SB loss from "the catch" to the rout that Washington received at the hands of the Raiders.

You can in the sense that both teams (83 Skins and 07 Pats) had two offenses that scored at will in the regular season, but were completely shut down in the respective Super Bowls. Two of the Raiders five TDs came off of special teams and defense, meaning the Skins defense (despite Marcus Allen having the big day) probably didn't play as bad as the score indicated.

The offense just got completely shut down.

The 1982 team is more legendary, with all of the different groups and characters. The Super Bowl against the Dolphins was also much more memorable. With that said, the 1991 team was the best Redskin team of all time. They really only lost one game that year, with the Philly loss in week 16 only coming because they pulled the starters at halftime. 1991 was Joe Gibbs' greatest coaching masterpiece.

From the dominant offensive performances to the string of consecutive home shutouts to open the season to the two losses only totaling five points to almost setting the sacks allowed record to Wilbur Marshall being denied the Defensive MVP award he deserved to everything else....1991 was the culmination of Joe Gibbs great first stint in Washington. 83 was awesome too but youve gotta finish what you started.

point is still when you dont win, folks arent gonna put you on any pedestal. team records are nice, however, lose impact if the overall season plays out with an L.

if you check through this, i have always said 91 was a much better team than 83...

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I have to rethink my position on this. At this point, I've changed my mind. The 91 Redskins was the best team fielded since 1982. In my mind, this was the best team of all time. There was no weakness on this team to exploit. People debate that the defensive secondary on that 82 team was suspect and the defense on the Pats was that team's weakness. But the 91 Redskins didn't have a weakness at all. Someone mentioned Coburn but he was probably on the field for 3 minutes all season. We'll probably never see an NFL team that was a "well oiled machine" as John Madden called it, ever again in our lifetime. And the defense on that team was much better than the offense IMO.

Archived