Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The "Running" Thread

Elessar78

Also- a question for anyone who has had knee/leg surgery. Part of my lower leg is numb after my ACL surgery. And tonight after running, the outter edge and most numb area hurts like pin/needles poking me. Anyone ever experience this?

I've had ACL replacement surgery but haven't experienced that pain. It might be shin splints, which can cause pain anywhere from your ankle to just below your knee. If my memory serves me correctly, people with flat feet tend are more prone to shin splints. Problem with SS is you can't (shouldn't) run through the pain. Rest, ice, stretching and Ibuprofen.

I'm an engineer, not a doctor, but I have HAD shin splints, when I was younger. I've focused on my running form (foot strike area) and been careful about not doing too many hard runs in a week, or increasing my mileage too fast.

Good luck,

PF

Anyone running Leesburg 10k this weekend? Or know anything about the course? Thinking of doing it as a 6 mile training run with different scenery.

Here is a course map:

http://leesburg10k.potomacriverrunning.com/userfiles/file/Leesburg%2010K%20Certification%20Ma__.pdf

Also, a great site here for you DC area runners:

http://www.runwashington.com

Thanks for the map. I had seen it but was hoping someone would have some insight into the terrain. I have biked out in the Leesburg area quite a bit and know that it can be pretty hilly. Wasn't sure if the run route would be that way or not

They've changed the course again ...

http://leesburg10k.potomacriverrunning.com/userfiles/file/Leesburg%2010K%20Certification%20Ma__.pdf

Potomac River Running are organizing it and they know their stuff. The sections along Catoctin Circle and the W&OD Trail at the end aren't especially wide, so if there's a big entry (and you're passing slower runners who went out too quick) it may be hard work.

The section outside Leesburg on Dry Mill Road should be nice and it's all fairly level with not much elevation change.

EDIT: Dry Mill Road runs almost parallel to the W&OD trail for that part of the course and the elevation does rise about 100 feet over a stretch of two miles to the turnaround point.

Thanks for the map. I had seen it but was hoping someone would have some insight into the terrain. I have biked out in the Leesburg area quite a bit and know that it can be pretty hilly. Wasn't sure if the run route would be that way or not

I saw it described as a "rolling" course which is code for lots of hills. :)

They've changed the course again ...

Potomac River Running are organizing it and they know their stuff. The sections along Catoctin Circle and the W&OD Trail at the end aren't especially wide, so if there's a big entry (and you're passing slower runners who went out too quick) it may be hard work.

The section outside Leesburg on Dry Mill Road should be nice and it's all fairly level with not much elevation change.

EDIT: Dry Mill Road runs almost parallel to the W&OD trail for that part of the course and the elevation does rise about 100 feet over a stretch of two miles to the turnaround point.

I saw it described as a "rolling" course which is code for lots of hills. :)

Thanks for the info. Probably decide a little closer...like Saturday!

I do second Corcaigh's endorsement of PRR...they are a first rate business in my opinion.

I do second Corcaigh's endorsement of PRR...they are a first rate business in my opinion.

The principals (Pugsleys and Shapiros) are good people with a real passion for the sport and its development.

And if you buy stuff from their stores they're happy too. :)

I third the endorsement. I've been very pleased with the shoes they helped me pick out.

Just finished 13 miles about a half an hour ago. RAAAAR!!!

I third the endorsement. I've been very pleased with the shoes they helped me pick out.

That is a pretty long run!

I bought a pair from them and then happened to find the exact same ones about 4 months later for half the price. It was after the new model came out. I think I just accidentally started running in the old ones again. I guess if it is difficult to tell the difference then it is time for new ones!

Impressive, especially in today's "black flag" weather. I went for a water-less 26mi bike ride and about died. Hot, humid, hills AND windy? No way I was running today. There would have been some serious chafing going on.

Impressive, especially in today's "black flag" weather. I went for a water-less 26mi bike ride and about died. Hot, humid, hills AND windy? No way I was running today. There would have been some serious chafing going on.

Oh I was on the Dreadmill today with two fans on me. :)

Fortunately I've got a TV/DVD player in the room. If anyone needs to know some good movies to run to, I'm your man. :cool:

I'm not going thru 15 pages of posts, but I'm glad this thread is here. Does anybody have a half marathon training schedule that they have personally used? Preferably in the 12 week range. I'm 6'1", 265 (down 50 since March) and have no problem running for 30-45 minutes right now. I want to run a half-marathon, and eventually a full one, so bad.

I hear the runner's high is amazing, narcotic-like.

• 5 weeks later...

Last week I finished up my quarter-mile repeats and on Tuesday I'm running my first tempo run. Four miles at 8:45 a mile (which may not seem that fast to real runners but it's fast to me.) My long runs are up to 19 miles so I'm sure I have the endurance, I just hope my legs are up for it.

Archived