Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Breaking your dogs bad habits...

Redskins Reparations

Do do you agree with the proposed Arizona Birth Law?  

97 members have voted

1. 1. Do do you agree with the proposed Arizona Birth Law?

• Yes
    • No

TWA, do you have any experience with those products?

One of my dogs has separation anxiety.. he barks like mad whenever anyone leaves with keys in their hands. He's good after we're gone, he doesn't tear anything up, he just drives me insane when we're leaving. He knows when my wife is leaving for 20 minutes before she goes, and he starts.. it's an annoying whine and anxiety at first (which I can deal with), and once she's putting her shoes on he's barking his damn head off. It's like this whenever anyone goes out.

My wife doesn't want to use a shock collar, and we tried this collar that was too emit a high pitched sound to make him shut up when he started, but it didn't work at all.

I am also curious if it does work on dogs zcross the street.. my neighbors have pomeranian that believe it or not is an outdoor dog..roams the neighborhood. At night it'll see a deer or a raccoon and yip it's damn head off for HOURS. I'd love to zap that thing.

~Bang

If the issue is separation anxiety/anxiety of being alone, crate training will ease both your mind and your dog. We have a 12 lb rat terrier, and he is very anxious when left alone out of his crate. In his crate, he has a safe haven where he can relax and feel secure. We don't even have to latch the crate anymore, just close the door and cover with a blanket.

TWA, do you have any experience with those products?

No I do it the old fashioned way,positive reinforcement or the spray bottle/glass of water....Bruno runs from a drinking glass:ols:

I know two people that have the DSP and like it,for it to work across the street you might need to move it closer...not sure of the range

If the issue is separation anxiety/anxiety of being alone, crate training will ease both your mind and your dog. We have a 12 lb rat terrier, and he is very anxious when left alone out of his crate. In his crate, he has a safe haven where he can relax and feel secure. We don't even have to latch the crate anymore, just close the door and cover with a blanket.

Yeah, our other dog was crate trained and she's as calm as can be.. this one is almost 10, I doubt he'd take to it now

~Bang

What time frame should I expect for the dogs to be broke of this barking habit?

Depends on how much it likes it.

Fairly soon(days) if you are diligent and it ain't a freak.

the main thing to remember about dog training, is that you must curb bad behavior as it happens. Trying to discipline a dog after the fact does nothing but make the dog think you just hate them.

There are several good ideas in the thread already about what to do when the dog barks and you are right there to spray water etc. however, if its barking when you are gone, not a lot you can do absent a bark collar. A crate may work, but many times that can make a dog bark more.

Your dog is bored and lonely- so find somethings that keep it occupied such as a toy or bone. If you do go the bark collar route, follow directions for the one you buy and make sure to use it while you are there, so you know the dogs reaction and can deal with it. There are numerous types of bark collars, with several levels. My bark collar hasn't had a battery in years and just showing it to my pitbull makes her want to run and hide..lol

anyway, this is one of the hardest things to train- when you are not there.

Archived